PDA

View Full Version : Customer service in your country

Jakeev
Jan 12th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Just read an article in which the writer lamented that customer service is a dying breed. She feels corporations don't care about put money into training and that we basically get what we pay for in this day and age.

As a consumer, I don't expect much so I didn't totally agree with her. But I do remember when taking care of my late grandparents estate at how shocked I was in dealing with inept people from the state controller's office to life insurance representatives.

And of course, the writer did leave out the crap people in customer service have to deal with who just don't know how to act like human beings when they walk into an establishment.

So is customer service a dying breed or do we expect to much a people when we go shopping or deal with issues?

Helen Lawson
Jan 12th, 2012, 11:40 PM
It's a dying breed but people don't want to pay anything either, so customer service suffers. People make decisions on airline tickets over $10 and then wonder why service on a plane is bad, one example.

flyingmachine
Jan 13th, 2012, 12:26 AM
It's a dying breed but people don't want to pay anything either, so customer service suffers. People make decisions on airline tickets over $10 and then wonder why service on a plane is bad, one example.
This is true also I do feel some people just don't know how to complain. I don't know what is the situation in the States but in the UK some people are just taken granted without realised the one who working are also people too.
I was helping at my parents take away during Christmas /new year and there was an incident when someone was complain a dish was missing months ago and she told us that she phoned us on that night and he (the member of staff who was working on that night but was not here when she complain about it.) told her that she will to get the dish free and the surprising thing was no one knows about it. Including my parents who are the owners and if anything was wrong with the food/orders he will tell my parents first.
Then when I told her that we know nothing about it. She just pissed off and telling me how rude I'm and if she was the boss I will sack you ba ba ba and when I said sorry to her she told me its too late and leave the shop.
Anyway, customer service. :rolleyes:

Helen Lawson
Jan 13th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Yes, people have no manners today also, it doesn't help.

Mary Cherry.
Jan 13th, 2012, 01:23 AM
It's a two way thing. Customers can be bitches too.

ranfurly
Jan 13th, 2012, 01:31 AM
All our customer services in our major corps are pimped out to The Phillipines and India.

delicatecutter
Jan 13th, 2012, 01:35 AM
It definitely doesn't help when you're talking to somebody from India whose understanding of English is lacking, to say the least.

But yeah the customers can be just as bad. My HM of a mother has recently been working a lot of customer service jobs lately and they have to go through a lot. Black workers have been called n***** and such by customers and they just have to take it. Or else they'll get fired. Rather sad.

pov
Jan 13th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I'm big on customer service. Ultimately I like it most when people are genuinely interested but beyond that it's the major part of what they're getting paid to do. Unless the customer is beyond the bounds of reason service employees need to suck it up and do their job.

Sally Struthers
Jan 13th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I despise companies and businesses with poor customer service and will go out of my way to avoid them and spread the word about how shitty they are.

I'm willing to inconvenience myself monetarily and physically to patronize businesses that have great customer service.

Stamp Paid
Jan 13th, 2012, 02:33 AM
It definitely doesn't help when you're talking to somebody from India whose understanding of English is lacking, to say the least.

But yeah the customers can be just as bad. My HM of a mother has recently been working a lot of customer service jobs lately and they have to go through a lot. Black workers have been called n***** and such by customers and they just have to take it. Or else they'll get fired. Rather sad.My friend's mom works for American Airlines, and some customer trying to rebook a missed flight called a stupid n****r b****. All she could say was, "Uh huh, you're right." :hysteric:

Helen Lawson
Jan 13th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Somebody I once did work for pimped it out to India and all the Indian phone people adopted the names of the Friends characters in an attempt to "sound" American, "Hello, this is Phoebe, you behind on mortgage, when you pay?"

McPie
Jan 13th, 2012, 11:23 AM
come to the Consular Office in Bangkok then, only until this March ;)

and you will find the weirdest intern ever, who will speak in languages, look after you, run out of mil, run around, and hyperactive :spit:

me :p

Calvin M.
Jan 15th, 2012, 08:26 PM

Yep, it's a twofold problem. Companies pay crap so the people applying for those customer service jobs reflect the low wage. Secondly, gone are the days of having pride in one's job regardless of how bad it is. IN 2012, disgruntled employees, who deal with the public, have no qualms with showing patrons how much they hate their jobs. My lady gets on me all the time for being rude right back but it's the only one way to convey to these losers that we know they're doing a shitty job. I don't swear at them but if their tone of voice is hostile so is mine. This is the very reason why I'm overly gracious to those that give me customer good service!

melodynelson
Jan 16th, 2012, 03:57 AM
People in Anglophone countries shouldn't complain about customer service so much, in Portugal it's much worse, promise. :o And I can't say it's a European/American difference, because I found customer service in Spain France and Turkey much better than here too, so...

But in general customer service is bad for both customers and employees. Humans aren't a social bunch.

ranfurly
Jan 16th, 2012, 07:43 AM
People in Anglophone countries shouldn't complain about customer service so much, in Portugal it's much worse, promise. :o And I can't say it's a European/American difference, because I found customer service in Spain France and Turkey much better than here too, so...

But in general customer service is bad for both customers and employees. Humans aren't a social bunch.

yo, when half your call centres get pimped out to places in Manila and Mumbai and you can't understand a fricken word they're saying, of course we can complain.

I ask to be put back to someone in New Zealand.

The80sMoviesFan
Jan 16th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I was in ‘Currys’ the other week. In case anybody doesn’t know, they sell electrical goods. So, I was looking at the TVs and this guy comes over and asks me can he help?

I told him I was interested in buying the TV and could they deliver it tomorrow? ‘No’ he replied…..’We don’t do 24 hour delivery in Northern Ireland (btw that’s where the store was)’

There was a large sticker on the side which stated ’24 hour NEXT DAY DELIVERY’ and I pointed to it. He just looked at me like he was in a daze. Okay when can you deliver it, on Monday? I asked

‘No’, we don’t deliver on Mondays’ he replied…..I just burst out laughing and said ‘So you don’t do 24 hour delivery and you don’t deliver on Mondays, then when’s the quickest you can deliver?’

’72 hours’ he said…..I started laughing and asked him was he crazy? He wanted me to go for 72 HOURS WITHOUT TV!?!?......He just gave me this blank look, but you just knew he was thinking ‘Why don’t you go away you wanker, so I can update my Facebook page’

BTW...I said to him, you can get them £100 cheaper online. 'Can you?' he nodded to himself....I just said, Ah fuck this, went home and ordered it from Amazon. I paid £8 to have it delivered within 24 hours....yep, it never turned up until 48 hours later...

Don't get me started on Call-Centres

Dawn Marie
Jun 19th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Hi Jakeev..:-)
Customer Service is a joke here in the states. I pay for good customer service..but if it's poor..I have no problem spreading the word.
Also when I would talk to the Phillipines and India about something and they would give me this laughable American name I would ask them to give me their real name. I would tell them that I like their real name better. Companies are just greedy and want to be cheap..about everything.

spiceboy
Jun 20th, 2012, 07:43 AM
.I started laughing and asked him was he crazy? He wanted me to go for 72 HOURS WITHOUT TV!?!?

You have a problem :hysteric:

spiceboy
Jun 20th, 2012, 07:44 AM

Customer service in Portugal can be bad but not much worse than in Spain :tape:

duhcity
Jun 20th, 2012, 07:51 AM
yo, when half your call centres get pimped out to places in Manila and Mumbai and you can't understand a fricken word they're saying, of course we can complain.

I ask to be put back to someone in New Zealand.

I called Verizon one night, and the service rep was from New Zealand. Three times. :hysteric: I was calling at like 2am EST though.

Anyway, American's get both sides of the coin. On the one hand, we get to return stuff, even opened and used stuff - people tell me that's an unfathomable in the rest of the world. But our corporations have also perfected the runaround, so there's that too.

The way I look at it - if I'm shopping at an establishment that is truly devoted to their product and I'm paying a premium for their insight, then I should receive a level of service that matches that. But I shouldn't be complaining if I step into a Walmart, and wonder why the service person working their entry level position can't seem to do something I could easily do myself with 2 or 3 minutes of training.

Fête_des_fleurs
Jun 20th, 2012, 11:26 AM
"No, that's not possible" is the phrase you will hear the most in Dutch customer service.

Cashif
Jun 20th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Being from India, I should be angry at all the unfavorable comments directed towards Indians, but I totally agree. I especially hate when they keep on repeating sentences like 'How can I be of service, Sir' Ánything else, sir?'blah blah even when you are shouting at them. They dont listen to half the words you are saying and will keep on blabbering as if it is a recorded message.

And I especially hate the part about them having Western (?) names because IMO that is discrimination. People are aware that these corporations have set up shop elsewhere to avoid costs, so why should these companies make the employees pretend to act like American/British or whatever.