PDA

View Full Version : short term memory...

Fingon
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:45 AM
That's what most people have.

Last week, Serena was unbeatable and Venus could only be beaten by Serena.

For some people, because Serena lost ONE match, she is finished. Well, Serena is still the same player and is still the best player in the world.

Kim suddenly becomes the one to beat. Yes, Kim played very well, but that's hardly a surprise, it was clear that players like her, Justine or Hantuchova will achieve good results. People were disminshing Kim's chances to even win a tournament before LA, now all the sudden she is winning all the upcoming GSs.

Alexandra Stevenson was pretty much dismissed by the fans before Linz, suddenly she reaches a tier 2 final and she become a thread, as she didn't play LA people forgot about her.

I can go on and on, Hantuchova started by being a pretty face, a GS winner after Indian Wells, a fluke after she got a few poor results, again a GS winner after a few wins.

I think it's not about the last result, not even the last few results, to "predict" the future you need to analyse the player, her strenghts and weaknesses and how she is working on her game. Of course, we can't KNOW, there are always surprises, players that don't reach their potential or players we didn't consider that achieve great results.

But to base predictions one year ahead on the last two weeks is just plain silly IMO.

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:49 AM
how a player is doing at a certain time affects what pople think about that player...for example, people were saying monica wouldnt do anything in la because she hadnt played in la and she had no confidence...people werent even mentioning her name...she beats lindsay and suddenly she is in every thread and people are giving her chances against venus...thats just one example, but there are many others...people base their opinions on people very often on how that person is playing at the time...it will always be that way...

lizchris
Nov 14th, 2002, 02:27 AM
I have been saying this for awhile. Sure, Kim's victory over Serena was great and everything, but I don't think you can say that at the upcoming AO she is now the one to beat. Serena is the one who won the last three Slams and is the lead favorite to win in January.

I don't have a problem with people predicting the AO since it starts two months from today, but predicting who is going to be number one by the end of next year is ridiculous.

Nov 14th, 2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by lizchris
I have been saying this for awhile. Sure, Kim's victory over Serena was great and everything, but I don't think you can say that at the upcoming AO she is now the one to beat. Serena is the one who won the last three Slams and is the lead favorite to win in January.

I don't have a problem with people predicting the AO since it starts two months from today, but predicting who is going to be number one by the end of next year is ridiculous.

Serena is still the one to beat, but Kim will be a threat...as will quite a few other players. Serena is a great player, but no-one is unbeatable

disposablehero
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Remember from June up until about a month ago when the media and even the hardcores on this board said that Capriati was vastly inferior to the Williams sisters, and a hundred miles ahead of everyone else? I L'd My A Off, just as I constantly do at the 12 hour historical perspective of this board.

tennischick
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:17 AM
short "term" memory...:o

some time ago someone on this board ran a poll asking how many posters actually PLAYED tennis. i was shocked to discover that the percentage was quite paltry. but it helped me to understand some of the kinds of posts you see on this board.

there are tennis fans and there are tennis connoisseurs. some folks are both. others are not. i'm not sure why anyone would get so carried away by the words of someone who is merely a tennis fan but who clearly has never played the game and even more clearly doesn't know or understand a thing about how it is played. such posters come online to support their "faves". that's all they're interested in. why take their posts so seriously?

of course such tennis fans have every right to exist. who knows, with time some may even become connoisseurs of the game and might even pick up a racket to see what all the fuss is about...;) ;)

Bella
Nov 14th, 2002, 05:16 AM
So how much do I have to play, tennischick? Because I haven't played in quite a while and the amount I've played is quite paltry, should you keep being a snob? You decide.

Good thing ice skating's fans are not qualified and condescended to by whether or not they've skated. Those skaters wouldn't make much money. Nor would boxers. Nor football players. Come to think of it, I know so many gauche women who like football that it's unreal.

Now that I'm thinking, I'm realizing many sports are followed by avid fans who never played it. It's like a revelation! You know, you might try thinking sometime and see what all that's about. And, then you'll be sure why anyone would get so carried away.

Here, let me toss in a couple of these: ;) ;)

Larrybid
Nov 14th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Touche' Bella. LOL

wave
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:18 AM
tc: What makes you think that playing tennis makes you/me/anybody a better expert on extraordinary players like the top ten? :rolleyes:

In other threads some of us like to point out that statements of Chris Evert and Pam Shriver are totally nuts? Do you think you play better than them???:rolleyes:

rhz
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:29 AM
well, justine lost to kim twice in a row, i still think justine is better than kim! and i always think that hantuchova is a top 5 material, she just needs more time!

irma
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:39 AM
serena was nothing expect on american hardcourt
then she was the best ever suddenly
and now she is average again? :confused:

lol:D

Kimmy can win what she wants and people try to break it down anyway:(
I guess it's because she doesn't have a big mouth! :(

Mercury Rising
Nov 14th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by irma

Kimmy can win what she wants and people try to break it down anyway:(
I guess it's because she doesn't have a big mouth! :(
YES! Everybody likes her, but she will be always underestimated, even now...

earthcrystal
Nov 14th, 2002, 10:49 AM
You go Bella!

FYI--tennischick, I absolutely suck at tennis. Does that mean I'm incapable of understanding the nuances of the game, and therefore should refrain from commenting on the sport? Or just that my comments don't matter because I don't regularly pick up a racket?

This is a sad day for me indeed. I'd better go find a Chess message board, apparently I don't meet the criteria to be considered a credible poster here...

The Crow
Nov 14th, 2002, 11:41 AM
tc: it's not because you play tennis every day in your spare time, you are all of a sudden an expert of in how topplayers feel, what they do to improve, how they are pressured ... (well not more than us non-tennis-playing fans ;)).

DutchieGirl
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:13 PM
I second/third/fourth etc everything people said in reply to tennischick! I used to play tennis for fun, but I can't do that any more... doesn't mean I know nothing about tennis, or shouldn't be able to say something about tennis. Just because you might play tennis doesn't mean you know everything better than non players! You don't have to play a game to understand it you know!

the cat
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:38 PM
I'm like you TC, a tennis player and a tennis fan! :D But unlike you, I think those who don't play tennis can still be credible tennis fans! ;)

EC, I'll play chess with you, and even let you beat me! ;)

Hmmm. This is good! :) TC and EC! :bounce:

Mrs. Peel
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:38 PM
I think some of you are too reactionary to waht Tennischick had to say...she didn't say that you had to be a tennis pro or everyday tennis player to understand the game...:confused: did she?

She just meant to say that some people may have never picked up a racket and they feel justified to denigrate a players ability! Thou dost protest too much...

if you know you suck at tennis..well at least you tried to play and understand the complexities of it? right...

she didn't sound snobbish to me at all....:confused: :rolleyes:

Mrs. Peel
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Gethryn
Mrs. Peel sounds like a 'Diabolical Mastermind';).

;) :kiss:

tennischick
Nov 15th, 2002, 02:31 AM
thanks Mrs. Peel. ;) and like i said in my original post, every kind of tennis fan has every right to exist. unfortunately some folks missed that. sorry if i came across as snobbish but i honestly believe that most of the hypersensitive, paranoid, overly reactive tennis fans probably don't have a clue about the game which is why they make the kind of statements that Fingon highlighted. thanks for the honest disagreement. piss off those of you who had to get nasty to do so...:p

Crazy Canuck
Nov 15th, 2002, 02:36 AM
some time ago someone on this board ran a poll asking how many posters actually PLAYED tennis. i was shocked to discover that the percentage was quite paltry. but it helped me to understand some of the kinds of posts you see on this board.

I understand what you were saying (i read the above comments :D hehe).

Just wanted to say - some people can't afford to play a lot ;) I casually hit once in a blue moon.

But sadly I know few who like to play, the public courts up the street from my moms house back home have recently been ripped up, the clubs cost a fortune, etc etc.

:sad: