PDA

View Full Version : Sticking up for someone else

Sean.
Jan 9th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Don't know if anyone's seen this yet, it's been around facebook all day. I just thought it was quite a good story:

Dear Customer Who Stuck Up For His Little Brother

You thought I didn't really notice. But I did. I wanted to high-five you.

Yesterday I had a pair of brothers in my store. One was maybe between 15 and 17. He was a wrestler at the local high school. Kind of tall, stocky and handsome. He had a younger brother, who was maybe about 10 to 12 years old. The only way to describe him was scrawny, neat, and very clean for a boy his age. They were talking about finding a game for the younger one, and he was absolutely insisting it be one with a female character. I don't know how many of y'all play games, but that isn't exactly easy. Eventually, I helped the brothers pick a game called "Mirror's Edge." The youngest was pretty excited about the game, and then he specifically asked me, "Do you have any girl color controllers?" I directed him to the only colored controllers we have, which include pink and purple ones. He grabbed the purple one, and informed me purple was his FAVORITE.

The boys had been taking awhile, so their father eventually came in. He saw the game, and the controller, and started in on the youngest about how he needs to pick something different. Something more manly. Something with guns and fighting, and certainly not a purple controller. He tried to convince him to get the new Zombie game "Dead Island" and the little boy just stood there repeating, "Dad, this is what I want, OK?" Eventually it turned into a full-blown argument complete with Dad threatening to whoop his son if he didn't choose different items.

That's when big brother stepped in. He said to his dad, "It's my money, it's my gift to him. If it's what he wants, I'm getting it for him, and if you're going to hit anyone for it, it's going to be me." Dad just gave his oldest son a strong stern stare-down, and then left the store. Little brother was crying quietly. I walked over and ruffled his hair (yes, this happened all in front of me). I said, "I'm a girl, and I like the color blue, and I like shooting games. There's nothing wrong with what you like. Even if it's different than what people think you should." I smiled, he smiled back (my heart melted!). Big brother then leaned down, kissed little brother on the head, and said, "Don't worry, dude."

They checked out and left, and all I can think is how awesome big brother is, how sweet little brother is, and how Dad ought to be ashamed for trying to make his son any other way.

This piece was originally published on Kristen's blog, www.sweetupndown.tumblr.com.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristen-wolfe/dear-customer-who-stuck-u_b_1190690.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

silverwhite
Jan 9th, 2012, 07:12 PM
:awww:

doni1212
Jan 9th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Awww, I love that story! It's sad but good.

Mynarco
Jan 9th, 2012, 07:50 PM
What kind of father is he?:o Chastising your own son over a purple controller :o?

Sean.
Jan 9th, 2012, 08:04 PM
What kind of father is he?:o Chastising your own son over a purple controller :o?

A bad one. But it's unfortunately common!

Mistress of Evil
Jan 9th, 2012, 08:10 PM
really touching :awww:

Mary Cherry.
Jan 9th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I have Mirror's Edge. I found it kind of boring, no wonder his dad told him to get something else :tape:

Lovely story though :hug:

Andiyan
Jan 9th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Inspiring:)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 9th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Shweeet :awww:

ico4498
Jan 10th, 2012, 01:09 AM
don't believe the story really happened but it's a nice urban myth.

17 yr old kissing his younger brother in public? yeah, right ...

Moveyourfeet
Jan 10th, 2012, 01:28 AM
I have Mirror's Edge. I found it kind of boring, no wonder his dad told him to get something else :tape:

This is the tennisforum I love :lol:

moby
Jan 10th, 2012, 02:02 AM
I want an update on this story in 10 years.

Prediction: The older brother is now an out and proud homosexual, very hot (having repudiated "stocky" for "athletic/lean/defined", while maintaining "handsome" and tall") and setting gay hearts aflutter with his beautiful personality (oh, marry me!).

Younger brother is a hipstery douche SNAG wearing dumbass-suspenders and macking on wispy-thin girls in gossamer-dressers, trying to impress them with his knowledge of hipster-appropriated campy 90s icons like Mariah Carey and, I don't know, Celine or some shit. He has refined his favourite colour to lilac, after sustaining a lifetime (high school is always a lifetime) of jokes about being "that Whoopi Goldberg fanboy who loves that movie from the 80s".

Kairi
Jan 10th, 2012, 03:40 AM

Lovely story though :hug:

:hysteric:

skanky~skanketta
Jan 10th, 2012, 03:55 AM

17 yr old kissing his younger brother in public? yeah, right ... What's wrong with that?

Dominic
Jan 10th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Wow that was soo cute. It actually got me teary eyed :lol: I'm such a sissy..

Apoleb
Jan 10th, 2012, 04:05 PM

17 yr old kissing his younger brother in public? yeah, right ...

I'm suspicious of the story but not at all because of that (how the hell is that strange? Old teens like to pretend they are protective and all manly and mature).

But more because of this:

"Do you have any girl color controllers?"

I just have a hard time believing he would name his color preferences this way. I don't think he's yet at the age where he can act "girl power" and all that.

The Witch-king
Jan 10th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Seems fake.

And why are hipsters haters the most hipsterish of them all :confused:

Mistress of Evil
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:04 PM
It was originally posted by some chick on tumblr and she indeed works in a such a store. :shrug: Might have romanticized things a bit.

spiceboy
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:28 PM
It was originally posted by some chick on tumblr and she indeed works in a such a store. :shrug: Might have romanticized things a bit.

Yeah, she's a 40 something weirdo and Deirdre is her name

http://sissydude.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/tumblr_lugmsl2dwD1qfnhuco1_12801.png

ico4498
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:30 PM
What's wrong with that?

actually everything's right but atypical.

Old teens like to pretend they are protective and all manly and mature).

not my experience that older teens think it "manly" to kiss anyone other than a romantic interest in public. obviously your experience differs ...

ranfurly
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I'd do the same,

No son of mine is coming home with a poofter controller, Black or Grey.

and if the other son gets in my face, He'll be getting his marching orders.

Thankfully I am not to breed!

Sean.
Jan 10th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I'd do the same,

No son of mine is coming home with a poofter controller, Black or Grey.

and if the other son gets in my face, He'll be getting his marching orders.

Thankfully I am not to breed!

Thankfully indeed. :rolleyes:

Sammo
Jan 10th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Mirror's Edge is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. Dumb bastard. And it was also one of the most critically acclaimed videogames of 2008.

Mary Cherry.
Jan 10th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Mirror's Edge is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. Dumb bastard. And it was also one of the most critically acclaimed videogames of 2008.

Really? All I remember about it was running around and jumping off roofs.

Sammo
Jan 11th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Really? All I remember about it was running around and jumping off roofs.

Well that's fun to me, and refreshing :shrug: Shooters are great but it gets repetitive.

And by the way how can any father suggest his 10 year-old son to buy Dead Island? What a f*cking psycho! :weirdo: I've played it and it's fun, but I'm 17, I would have gotten an enormous trauma if my father made me play that at 10 :help:

Mikey.
Jan 12th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Awww cute story.

I'm totally the same. :lol: I'm really protective and I'd cut anyone who tries to do anything like that to my younger brother.