PDA

View Full Version : Things are getting really stupid in Egypt. They may send Naguib Sawiris to jail!!!!!!

*Nefertiti*
Jan 9th, 2012, 04:17 PM
edited for security reasons

Melange
Jan 9th, 2012, 04:29 PM
They can only win the election if ppl vote for them, but i dont get why ppl would want to vote for them

pov
Jan 9th, 2012, 05:11 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/09/naguib-sawiris-insulting-islam_n_1194305.html?view=print&comm_ref=false
Naguib Sawiris, Egyptian Media Mogul, Faces Trial For Insulting Islam
SARAH EL DEEB 01/ 9/12 12:00 PM ET AP
React

CAIRO — A prominent Christian Egyptian media mogul faces trial on a charge of insulting Islam, lawyers said Monday, based on his relaying a cartoon on his Twitter account.

The case dates back to June, when Naguib Sawiris posted a cartoon showing a bearded Mickey Mouse and veiled Minnie. He made a public apology after Islamists complained, but his action set off a boycott of his telecom company and other outlets. He said it was supposed to be a joke and apologized, but lawyer Mamdouh Ismail filed a formal complaint against him.

After investigation, the prosecution set the trial for Jan. 14. Sawiris was not available for comment.

The case is linked to developments in Egypt after the ousting of President Hosni Mubarak last February. Sawiris and Ismail belong to competing political parties, and sectarian violence between Christians and Islamists has been on the upswing. In Egypt's parliamentary elections, Islamist parties have won a large majority, leaving liberals far behind.

Sawiris co-founded a liberal party, and Ismail heads a party representing ultraconservative Salafi Muslims.

The case has added to fears among many that ultraconservative Islamists may use their new found powers to try to stifle freedom of expression.

Ismail countered that, saying he took legal action against Sawiris because he wants the law to be respected by all, even a famous businessman and politician, in the post-Mubarak era

"The revolution came about because we all are seeking the rule of law without any exceptions," he said. The charge is punishable by up to one year in prison.

Rights lawyer Gamal Eid said the contempt of religion law, in place even before Mubarak came to power, has been used against scholars and activists whose comments about Islam angered conservatives.

He warned that the wording of the law is vague, and it can become a tool in the hands of prosecutors to punish opponents and appease authorities.

"Contempt of religion is a very vague term, and the prosecution has taken the radical interpretation," he said, "raising questions of whether this is a legal or a political matter."

Last week, a Coptic Christian student was arrested and referred to trial for posting a drawing of the Prophet Muhammad on Facebook. That triggered two days of violence in southern Egypt.

Muslims generally oppose any depiction of the prophet, even favorable ones, for fear it could lead to idolatry. This drawing showed four women asking for the prophet's hand in marriage.

*Nefertiti*
Jan 9th, 2012, 05:37 PM
They can only win the election if ppl vote for them, but i dont get why ppl would want to vote for them

Why did Germans elected Nazis

That's a long story. From late 70s we are facing this extremism. Things are not getting better. Even after the revolution which was supposed to be for freedom and for equality. There are brave people that are trying to stop extremism, but it's not an easy battle since the previous regime only allowed backwards and stupid religion to control mosques to prevent any serious opposition.

I voted for the same party that Saweras belongs to. He is getting seriously attacked because he is successful. Extremists hate that he is a successful Christian businessman and now hate him more because he is opposing them politically. They think anyone who doesn't agree with them is fighting Islam and should be finished. Even moderate Muslims face extreme fight for no reason other than supporting a different party. I am scared that my country is entering darker age. It's going to be so harsh because we suffered enough in the last decade from corruption and interference of Mubarak son.

Since Mubarak fall we haven't even written our new constitution yet! Islamists want the majority of the Parliament to write all the constitution. They opposed writing it before the elections. It's getting more complicated with them refusing to elect a new president after the Parliamentary elections and before writing the constitution. So, they opposed writing the constitution before any elections but want to write the constitution before the Presidential elections cause the president isn't going to be one of them for many reasons.

I don't know what is going to happen in Egypt. May be a civil war unless a miracle happens.

Melange
Jan 9th, 2012, 06:19 PM
"Why did Germans elected Nazis" because they promised to get Germany back working and economically they had some success. Dont think the islamic parties are going to be so successful economically. The Egyptian ppl know what an islamic government is going to be like, they just need to look at Iran. Im sure thats not what most of the protestors wanted for the country. The extremists always seem to be better organised and united than the moderates.

Apoleb
Jan 9th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Good luck to you. I will say though that I wouldn't send anyone to jail for that, but that picture is in bad taste and a very stupid move tbh. It doesn't help that a Christian did that.

Also, you're a little too pessimistic. The fight has just started. You can't erase 40% of the Egyptian people who aren't willing to leave their fate with mad people.

Is that really your pic? :lol: Cool text next to it.

Dominic
Jan 9th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Good luck to you. I will say though that I wouldn't send anyone to jail for that, but that picture is in bad taste and a very stupid move tbh.

How so? I don't get how on earth anyone could find that offensive..