PDA

View Full Version : The Arsenal: Counting Petra's Weapons

mac47
Jan 8th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I just posted a comment in the videos thread, to this effect:
I love how she works that cc backhand. It works like this:

She hits each one a little bit wider, eventually opening up the court so much that her opponent is forced to make a gamble: expect another, even wider cc, or shade back toward the middle of the court. Most of the time, the opponent doesn't believe that Petra can possibly swing the BH any wider, so they end up recovering only to the same "dynamic center" that let them reach the previous shot. And then, sure enough, Petra DOES hit another one even wider, and they can't get to it.

Just one of the many beauties of her game.

I'd suggest it might be fun to list as many of Petra's known weapons as we can. I mean things that she does uniquely well, or that only a few other players also have. Signature shots and patterns that she uses. A few others that come to mind:

- The kill shot or overhead down the middle when her opponent has been yanked side to side like a yoyo. Occasionally someone figures this out, like that one point where Sharapova stayed in the middle and lobbed Petra off it for a winner, provoking much shouting from Sasha.

- The running DTL forehand. Might be my favorite Petra shot. So many times her opponents think they have hit something that is at least forcing, if not a winner, and Petra doesn't look like she's particularly close to it, but then she leans out and that long left arm goes swinging...

- The ad court lefty slice serve. When she has it going along with the down-the-T one, it's a nightmare for her opponent. It's interesting that not every lefty has this shot. Nadal's doesn't have the angle that Petra does, but Michael Llodra does (and more power and spin, being a man), and he uses it to devastating effect in doubles.

- The hook forehand to keep the ball to a righty's backhand constantly. I use this myself as a fellow lefty, and I'm pretty sure it annoys the hell out of my right handed opponents.

Any others?

TimeyWimey
Jan 8th, 2012, 11:54 PM
- The running DTL forehand. Might be my favorite Petra shot. So many times her opponents think they have hit something that is at least forcing, if not a winner, and Petra doesn't look like she's particularly close to it, but then she leans out and that long left arm goes swinging...

my favorite as well, first saw last year against Sam at Melbourne (oh, this is definitely my favorite match of 2011), I remember it was one of the first points in 2nd set, noticed her control of the racquet, just amazing

AfroIYH
Jan 9th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Her cross court back/forehand return winner, is one of my favourite to see her scoot ever so slightly to hit it.

ArcticMoose
Feb 27th, 2013, 10:29 PM
:angel:Navratilovaesque - Amazing backhand vollyes:drool::worship:
C3Gdw0hSfHs
Especially the third volley. :hearts:

:yeah:Thanks to nevetsslim for the video

*Jack*
Feb 28th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Great idea, this thread will be damn long! :lol: :devil:

I think I haven't seen so many players who play inside-out backhands as she does. I don't mean just those bh down the line but those from the middle of the baseline to the right corner which are very hard to read for her opponents as it is so unusual shot. :drool: :)

Another thing is her inside-out forehand, I know this is not as unusual weapon but those from Dubai were so fast, unreadable and devastating that I have to talk about them here. I had respect for in-out forehands of Tomas Berdych, but in his last match (after watching Petra in Dubai) I was thinking that he can't make so perfect ones like last time, but then I realized, that these which I've remembered belonged to Petra. :) :eek:

Of course, there are many others, I'm thinking it would be easier to name the shots she doesn't play or can't play (such as lobs). :lol: But no, I'm just kidding, this is bigger fun. :bounce: :lol:

mac47
Feb 28th, 2013, 08:58 AM
I think we should also start a thread about the shots she doesn't have. It'll be shorter, but maybe, if (as I think) Petra or someone near her reads TF, she'll see a few of our suggestions and take the ones she thinks are worthy for consideration.

ArcticMoose
Feb 28th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I think we should also start a thread about the shots she doesn't have. It'll be shorter, but maybe, if (as I think) Petra or someone near her reads TF, she'll see a few of our suggestions and take the ones she thinks are worthy for consideration.

You could probably include it in this thread : http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=448060