PDA

View Full Version : Twisted ankles

Dominic
Jan 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Hey guys, this is probably a stupid poll, but me and my friend were talking about Serena's and Maria's ankle injuries and it brought up a discussion about twisted ankles. And one of us thinks there is more pain at the moment you get the injury and in the next few minutes, and one of us thinks there is more pains a couple days (2-3) after the injury. For those of you who have had twisted ankles, what do you think?

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 7th, 2012, 04:55 PM
It's at it's worst a couple days after the injury. Poor Serena about now! :awww:

Dominic
Jan 7th, 2012, 05:40 PM
It's at it's worst a couple days after the injury. Poor Serena about now! :awww:

Really what about Dokic at AO 09, she twisted hers and 2 days later she was playing good tennis and running with no signs of pain against Safina.

Petkorazzi
Jan 7th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Well Dokic didn't really feel that much pain at the moment either. :shrug: If I remember correctly, the injury came at 6-5 for her and she played 3 more games after that :shrug: I guess hers just wasn't that serious. I rolled my ankle once and I could walk with pain that day but the day after I couldn't step on the foot

edificio
Jan 8th, 2012, 03:06 AM
I've never had pain after two or three days unless I've done something to re-sprain the ankle. I don't get why pain would appear several days later. Seems illogical unless you've compounded the injury somehow. When I had a really bad strain/ligament stretch, the pain was unbearable from the start and for three days (with two days of throbbing), so...:shrug: After a week and a bit, I was fine, got back to tennis, not world-class, but...local. :lol: When I got a hairline fracture in my foot, it was a much bigger problem. There was acute pain (an hour or so after the injury, after I stopped walking), but it was short-lived--however, it was not right for several months (a chronic pain until the fracture healed). Other sprains are painful immediately after movement is stopped, but the pain went away after a couple days. So...I think Serena was just being cautious. I don't believe sprains get worse after a few days unless there is a re-sprain.

cowsonice
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:18 AM
I never really had a painful/serious ankle twist (Knock on wood!!!) but they hurt more when you have to walk. The pressure can really get to you, and you have to hobble.

spencercarlos
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Really what about Dokic at AO 09, she twisted hers and 2 days later she was playing good tennis and running with no signs of pain against Safina.
That was obviuosly a minor twist grade 1. Had she broken any ligaments, she would not have been able to play at all.

For the sake of this thread i have had ankle ligaments sprain and knee sprain and i can tell you that the first one hurts more days after, but the knee one hurts terribly in the exact moment it happens.

égalité
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:56 AM
I sprained my ankle playing tennis and was able to finish the match (with limited mobility and much ballbashing :oh: ) because the pain wasn't too bad. The next day the pain was excruciating and I could hardly walk. :shrug:

But to answer your question, less serious sprains probably hurt more when they happen, and more serious ones hurt more later on.

matthias
Jan 8th, 2012, 06:29 PM
i twisted my ankle once, while playing tennis, it was the same move as serena did
i tried to slide
i just tied my shoes a bit tighter and continued and it was fine, the major pain started as i tried to remove my shoe
and could barely walk the next few days

Mina Vagante
Jan 8th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Thank you everyone :)

I tried to explain my case, but he still insists on everyone here being wrong. I explained that, whilst twisting your ankle hurts, you can sometimes keep playing tennis for a good 30 minutes. it's no coincidence that Serena was able to keep playing after she twisted it.

Having suffered from many twisted ankles in the past, I said that the day/s after the injury, the pain is much much much more intense and there was no way I'd be able to walk on it, let alone play tennis.

He still considers himself to be right

Dominic
Jan 8th, 2012, 06:50 PM
He still considers himself to be right

Well having twisted both my ankles at least 5 times each and feeling much less pain even after one day and never feeling pain beyond 3 days, I don't see how I could think otherwise. Plus seeing how ppl react when they do, they're obviously in very intense pain, while when you see them 3 days after, they can do all of their activities just fine, and you wouldn't even know they're injured by looking at their body language, they just have to be careful not to put too much weight on it.

Srodgers
Jan 8th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Ive sprained both of my ankles twice and the pain was always unbearable the next morning when I tried to get out of bed.

delicatecutter
Jan 8th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Maybe you broke your ankles Dom? Or who knows... maybe you just had really bad sprains like when Golovin had to retire against Sharapova.

The80sMoviesFan
Jan 8th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I sprained my ankle once in work....it was about two days after it felt worse. Funny thing was though....the USO started the very day I had to take a fortnight off work

Dominic
Jan 8th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Maybe you broke your ankles Dom? Or who knows... maybe you just had really bad sprains like when Golovin had to retire against Sharapova.

Huh!? I've never broken my ankles, I've twisted them many times though and there was a lot of pain for the first few minutes and after one or 2 days there was hardly any pain already, unless I put alot of weight on it.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 8th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I sprained my ankle playing tennis and was able to finish the match (with limited mobility and much ballbashing :oh: ) because the pain wasn't too bad. The next day the pain was excruciating and I could hardly walk. :shrug:

But to answer your question, less serious sprains probably hurt more when they happen, and more serious ones hurt more later on.

This. I had a pretty bad sprain a couple years ago where i could actually here it crunch :tape:. I could hardly walk for the next week. But I've also had minor sprains where I was good to go within a few days. I think the more serious ones hurt more 2-3 days after the sprain. In any case, it's painful as *bleep* :lol: :p

Pump-it-UP
Jan 9th, 2012, 01:42 AM
The day after is the most painful I think. But I've never had one of those lucky twists where you feel no pain an hour later, so.... :shrug:

Fantasy Hero
Jan 9th, 2012, 07:54 AM
i've broken half of the legaments of both ankles back in the days i used to compete in triple jumping. once it happened in a warm-up before an event, i had a taping and could compete...the moment i came back home the ankle started to hurt more and more and then it came the huge pain and i could barely walk for days. But the ropture of ligaments it's probably a worse issue. But since i've got my knee ligaments broken as well i can surely tell you that whenever it comes to ligaments the bigger pain is felt hours after the injury.
another aspect may be the adrenaline, since when you injure yourself during a match/race, you are focused on other things and you may hide that pain with your mind being busy.

silverwhite
Jan 9th, 2012, 08:27 AM
It depends on how badly you twist your ankle :shrug:

In mild cases, it generally swells less quickly and takes just a few days to recover but in more serious cases, it swells almost immediately and can take up to a week to recover. As for the pain right after vs the pain a few days later, it depends on how the swelling evolves. For me, in mild cases, the swelling often just goes down while in more serious cases, the swelling can worsen. :o

Dominic
Jan 9th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Swelling is not something that's supposed to be painful though.

silverwhite
Jan 9th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Not if you just lie in bed without moving, but realistically, it's difficult to avoid putting pressure on your ankle :shrug:

Dominic
Jan 9th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Not if you just lie in bed without moving, but realistically, it's difficult to avoid putting pressure on your ankle :shrug:

Yes but wether there is swelling or not, it's gonna hurt, because the ligaments have been damaged. Some ppl swell when they eat too much salt. Pain and swelling are not connected.

silverwhite
Jan 9th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Yes but wether there is swelling or not, it's gonna hurt, because the ligaments have been damaged. Some ppl swell when they eat too much salt. Pain and swelling are not connected.

We should ask a medicine student or a doctor to confirm, but I think that swelling, even if it's not the direct cause of pain, contributes to it :confused:

Anyway, to get back to your question, based on my own experience, in mild cases, after 2 or 3 days, the ankle should be fine, whereas in more serious cases, the pain is indeed worse than right after you twist it :shrug:

Fantasy Hero
Jan 9th, 2012, 04:59 PM

i will ask my dad as he's a sport doctor anw, but i'm pretty sure that you are much sure you have it swelling each time you get a ligament broken.

Dominic
Jan 9th, 2012, 05:24 PM
i will ask my dad as he's a sport doctor anw, but i'm pretty sure that you are much sure you have it swelling each time you get a ligament broken.

That is totally irrelevant to what I said though. I said swelling doesn't cause pain.

Fantasy Hero
Jan 9th, 2012, 05:43 PM
i meant to say that swelling can be a hint for broken ligaments, so if you get one broken so you hurt your ankle/knee etc is swelling ;)

Dominic
Jan 9th, 2012, 06:42 PM
i meant to say that swelling can be a hint for broken ligaments, so if you get one broken so you hurt your ankle/knee etc is swelling ;)

Sure, I don't think anybody disagreed with that. But it's also not a great indicator, many ppl swell for very minor "injuries" that don't involve broken ligaments or broken anything.

Kart
Jan 9th, 2012, 07:17 PM
1. Pain is subjective.

2. It depends on the nature of your injury. Not all twists are the same and not all people are the same.

Which brings us back to point no.1.

What I suspect your question is really about is what is the cause of pain at the time of injury and the pain you get days afterward.

They've got different roots - the initial is the release of factors in response to immediate tissue damage that stimulate noxious nerve fibres whereas the other is the result of the inflammatory response to said tissue damage which takes time to develop.

The main point though is point. no.1. Two people could get an identical injury with one of them smiling the other in agony. Patients don't fit into nice neat boxes I'm afraid.

égalité
Jan 9th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Swelling is not something that's supposed to be painful though.

:spit::spit::spit: Okay, Dr. GoDokic!

Every disease that ends in the letters "-itis" (like arthritis, hepatitis, encephalitis, etc.) is a swelling of some part of the body. As far as I know, arthritis is supposed to be painful.

Dominic
Jan 10th, 2012, 03:54 AM
:spit::spit::spit: Okay, Dr. GoDokic!

Every disease that ends in the letters "-itis" (like arthritis, hepatitis, encephalitis, etc.) is a swelling of some part of the body. As far as I know, arthritis is supposed to be painful.

:facepalm: Are you serious!? Some ppl get swelling when they're menstruated, My aunt gets swelling in her feet and hands when she eats too much salt and it is NOT painful, it just looks ugly. You don't need to be hurt to get swelling, and you don't necessarely get swelling when you are hurt. Drawing a direct link between the two is just being stupid ignorant.

égalité
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:44 AM
:facepalm: Are you serious!? Some ppl get swelling when they're menstruated, My aunt gets swelling in her feet and hands when she eats too much salt and it is NOT painful, it just looks ugly. You don't need to be hurt to get swelling, and you don't necessarely get swelling when you are hurt. Drawing a direct link between the two is just being stupid ignorant.

Well good for your aunt. Just because she experiences a type of swelling that doesn't cause pain doesn't mean that ALL SWELLING IS NON-PAINFUL. Obviously not all pain accompanies swelling and vice versa. I never said ALL SWELLING CAUSES PAIN and ALL PAIN IS BECAUSE OF SWELLING, but THERE ARE TYPES OF SWELLING THAT CAUSE PAIN. This is a fact. My dad is a nurse. Have you actually consulted someone with medical expertise? Arthritis is a swelling of the joints and this swelling causes pain. This is proof. You're just wrong. Get over it.

Dominic
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Well good for your aunt. Just because she experiences a type of swelling that doesn't cause pain doesn't mean that ALL SWELLING IS NON-PAINFUL. Obviously not all pain accompanies swelling and vice versa. I never said ALL SWELLING CAUSES PAIN and ALL PAIN IS BECAUSE OF SWELLING, but THERE ARE TYPES OF SWELLING THAT CAUSE PAIN. This is a fact. My dad is a nurse. Have you actually consulted someone with medical expertise? Arthritis is a swelling of the joints and this swelling causes pain. This is proof. You're just wrong. Get over it.

:help: This is a thread about twisted ankles.. And here you come talking about arthritis :weirdo: .. Being extremely rude I might add. If you can't follow a simple discussion, you don't have to post you know. Swelling (gathering of fluids) after a twisted ankle is the CONSEQUENCE of damaged ligaments, and that is what is painful. Here is a link about swelling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swelling_(medical)

Fantasy Hero
Jan 10th, 2012, 07:37 AM
wikipedia is not a reliable source :lol:

Dominic
Jan 10th, 2012, 03:31 PM
wikipedia is not a reliable source :lol:

Swelling in twisted ankles is still gathering of fluids around the ankle after damaged ligaments, which is what is painful, not the actual swelling. Anything you would disagree with there?

vanillalatte
Jan 10th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I had awful pain in the moment in twisted my ankle and it lasted for like an hour... During the healing process it only hurt when i moved my foot. The incident is 3 years ago and my right foot still hurts a tiny bit sometimes :sobbing: i hate twisted ankles :(

Fantasy Hero
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Swelling in twisted ankles is still gathering of fluids around the ankle after damaged ligaments, which is what is painful, not the actual swelling. Anything you would disagree with there?

since i forgot i now asked my dad (graduated in medicine and family and sport doctor) and he almost said exactly the other way round :lol: the receptors of pain (i'm sorry if the terms i'm using are not totally corrected, since i'm translating them from italian and i don't have a dictonary now) are placed on the capsule and the pain is given by the strain of it and of the receptors, so it's not the ligament it self to hurt but the capsule which gets strained by the swelling :lol:
so in an extended view it's all because of the swelling :lol: I hope now that we got a medical point it's clear to everyone :)

Dominic
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:17 PM
since i forgot i now asked my dad (graduated in medicine and family and sport doctor) and he almost said exactly the other way round :lol: the receptors of pain (i'm sorry if the terms i'm using are not totally corrected, since i'm translating them from italian and i don't have a dictonary now) are placed on the capsule and the pain is given by the strain of it and of the receptors, so it's not the ligament it self to hurt but the capsule which gets strained by the swelling :lol:
so in an extended view it's all because of the swelling :lol: I hope now that we got a medical point it's clear to everyone :)

:lol: That is such BS. I'm pretty sure you didn't really ask him. Or you misunderstood him. So according to you, if I sprain my ankle badly but it doesn't swell much, I will feel no pain :lol: ok.. Like I already said before ppl get swelling for ALL KINDS of reasons. And it does not always hurt. Ever heard someone say "I feel bloated", well it's water retention and is a type of swelling, ask them if it hurts.... directly associating swelling with pain is very ignorant.

Kart
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM
:lol: That is such BS. I'm pretty sure you didn't really ask him. Or you misunderstood him. Like I already said before ppl get swelling for ALL KINDS of reasons. And it does not always hurt. Ever heard someone say "I feel bloated", well it's water retention and is a type of swelling, ask them if it hurts.... directly associating swelling with pain is very ignorant.

Do you treat all opinions you disagree with this disrespectfully ?

You come across as unncessarily rude.

Not that I'm in a position to comment though I suppose depending on who you talk to but it sounds like that poster made an effort to ask someone who would know. If you're going to shoot him / her down in flames you probably should be sure you're on solid ground ... which you really aren't.

Adrian.
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM
OMG, this discussion :hysteric:

Dom :hysteric:

Actually, Gaspa's dad is 100% IMO :yeah:
I twisted my ankle once before and it was the swelling, what hurted the most.
And to answer the question, the greatest pain was in the evening and the following 2-3 days. :o

Thank god, it only happened once before :)

Dominic
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Do you treat all opinions you disagree with this disrespectfully ?

You come across as unncessarily rude.

I reply to ppl in exactly the same kind of tone they address me with.

Adrian.
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:26 PM

:unsure:
Gaspa was totally polite to you :shrug:

Otlichno
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
You twist your ankle, you experience pain.
But when the swelling begins, the gathering of tissue fluid puts pressure onto the damaged ligament and the pain receptors. :shrug: And when you are still, and your muscles are somewhat relaxed, the tissue fluid gathers at a much faster rate, which is why most major swelling is seen right when you wake up, which is ALSO why it is generally the most painful when you just wake up. At least that's what I think.

Obviously it's the pain receptors which give your brain the signal of pain, not the actual ligament itself. :shrug: Which is why people who don't experience pain are considered to have a neuron-brain problem.

Adrian.
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:30 PM
And I think you can't compare the swelling when you twist your ankle or when a women has her menstruation :shrug::lol:

DragonFlame
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:31 PM
From what i know swelling in the ankles builds up pressure that causes most of the pain. So i don't think Gaspa is wrong...
Swelling to tendons in the ankle especially cause a lot of pain. So it's definitely not like swelling doesn't cause any pain at all, of course there are many other reasons to get pain from.

Dominic
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:36 PM
And I think you can't compare the swelling when you twist your ankle or when a women has her menstruation :shrug::lol:

That is why I'm saying directly connecting swelling with pain is ignorant, if there is no damaged ligament there is no pain, in a twisted ankle. when I twisted mine, it hurt at first and it did swell a little but if I didn't put too much weight on my foot it did not hurt whatsoever.

And this is kind of embarassing but I've had surgery to remove a small tumor in my stomach and there was some swelling which actually went down into my genital area and my balls (they were huge) and what hurt was still the spot where the tumor was removed, not my balls :lol:

Otlichno
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:39 PM
If the swelling is not in the area where tissue is damaged then you will not feel pain.
The swelling is not what causes pain, but it certainly adds to the pain.

Fantasy Hero
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:39 PM
:lol: That is such BS. I'm pretty sure you didn't really ask him. Or you misunderstood him. So according to you, if I sprain my ankle badly but it doesn't swell much, I will feel no pain :lol: ok.. Like I already said before ppl get swelling for ALL KINDS of reasons. And it does not always hurt. Ever heard someone say "I feel bloated", well it's water retention and is a type of swelling, ask them if it hurts.... directly associating swelling with pain is very ignorant.

i think i've been polite, because i only told you the truth as wikipedia is not a source for deep researches and in all universities and high schools of the world you are taught to not get all the infos from there and go verifying as they are made from unknown people who could have no degree or knowledge in that field. but that's another story.
if you want me to reply on your own tone you found the wrong one, though doubting on me as a person (actually you said i'm fake because i probably cheated invented that thing or i'm stupid because i can't understand my dad's words) or even worse doubting on my dad's knowledge as a doctor.
From what i know swelling in the ankles builds up pressure that causes most of the pain. So i don't think Gaspa is wrong...
Swelling to tendons in the ankle especially cause a lot of pain. So it's definitely not like swelling doesn't cause any pain at all, of course there are many other reasons to get pain from.

it's not me, i said BS before, because i didn't know the shit i was talking, that's a doctor's point

Kart
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Not from what I see here but it's between you two really. I don't know anything about your history.

You are wrong that swelling doesn't cause pain though obviously the two don't always occur together. It depends on the cause of the swelling.

The example that you give about salt retention / bloating and pain is irrelevant because the swelling in soft tissue injuries is the result of inflammation and abnormal capillary permeability.

Google 'Starling's Forces' if you really want to know more about the physiology.

Dominic
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:44 PM
The swelling is not what causes pain

:worship: That's pretty much all I've been saying... Alright I'm tired of discussing that my conclusions from this is that I have bionic ankles because when I twist them it only hurts for a few hours and swelling does not cause me any pain what so ever.

Otlichno
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:50 PM
:worship: That's pretty much all I've been saying... Alright I'm tired of discussing that my conclusions from this is that I have bionic ankles because when I twist them it only hurts for a few hours and swelling does not cause me any pain what so ever.

Or maybe you don't twist them severely enough? :secret:
Also, no one ever said the swelling is what causes the pain of a twisted ankle, because if that were the case we wouldn't feel the ankle twist initially. But it as well as stiffness, is the cause of the increase in pain.

Fantasy Hero
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM
never mind :) since I gave the doctor's reasons i did my job, so it's up to readers to decide whether believing it or not.

Dominic
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Or maybe you don't twist them severely enough? :secret:

Well it did swell and appearantly that's supposed to add a lot of pain lol

Dominic
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:06 PM
and if there are no damaged ligaments to begin with, there is no pain signal, no matter the amount of edema.

Otlichno
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:09 PM
True, but the swelling is caused by the excess tissue fluid, cause by the damage to the ligaments.
The initial pain signal is caused by pain receptors on the ligament.
But the swelling increases the pressure on the pain receptors, and stimulates them to send more pain signals.

gumoll
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:46 PM
pain right after you twist it and then only if you try to walk :p

twisted both ankles at least 1-2 times :lol:

but the worst pain was when I broke my little toe :lol:

égalité
Jan 10th, 2012, 09:09 PM
That is why I'm saying directly connecting swelling with pain is ignorant, if there is no damaged ligament there is no pain, in a twisted ankle. when I twisted mine, it hurt at first and it did swell a little but if I didn't put too much weight on my foot it did not hurt whatsoever.

And this is kind of embarassing but I've had surgery to remove a small tumor in my stomach and there was some swelling which actually went down into my genital area and my balls (they were huge) and what hurt was still the spot where the tumor was removed, not my balls :lol:

Nobody has done this. What you've done on the other hand is give a few example of yourself and your aunt experiencing swelling that didn't hurt and somehow concluded that all swelling is non-painful. The field of medicine is rife with examples of painful swelling, like edema, encephalitis, etc. You claimed that swelling doesn't cause pain and that's flat-out wrong. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Apoleb
Jan 10th, 2012, 09:29 PM
What causes pain in these sorts of injuries is the inflammatory reaction (with lots of mediators released by WBCs, endothelial cells..etc that activate nerve signals). Of course if there is pressure or damage to the nerves then that too, but this is not generalized. I doubt that swelling per se causes pain (unless it's massive and putting pressure on major structures, particularly in the brain) - could be, but also not the principal reason. Swelling occurs with inflammation.

Stamp Paid
Jan 10th, 2012, 09:57 PM
*sigh*

Dominic
Jan 10th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I doubt that swelling per se causes pain (unless it's massive and putting pressure on major structures, particularly in the brain) - could be, but also not the principal reason. Swelling occurs with inflammation.

:worship: one of the most sensible responses so far.

Vincey!
Jan 10th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I sprained my ankle really badly few years ago and the question is a bit complicated. When you twist it, it really hurts or at least you think it does cuz your mind takes over and you get scared. On the other hand, couple of minutes later when you get back up it's not that bad, I could walk and still played a bit, no running tho. BUT when you don't have it treated right away, when you remove your shoe (something that you shouldn't do before being at the hospital) it starts to swollen and the pain starts really bad continously. I went to the doctor the following day after my foot had swollen and sometimes I just couldn't endure just sitting around and walking was actually feeling better cuz the pain was not continuous then. I still went out that night cuz it was my bday party lol but it's not because it was not painful, I really just have a high tolerance to pain so you can't judge on that.

I'm guessing tho that when a tennis player sprain their ankle they have tons of physio and doc taking good care of them right away so it can be easier for them to recover and keep on playing depending of the level of the sprain. One thing is sure, Maria's spain ankle and Serena's sprain ankle or Dokic's sprain ankle were not the same, you can't really exactly compare them together.

Vincey!
Jan 10th, 2012, 11:17 PM
As for the swelling debate, it does not necessarly mean that it is painful. Swelling can cause pain when it's restrciting the organs like the lungs or the brain because those are highly nerved area of you body. It's simple, swelling is a liguid getting trapped in your body and that liguid can push or squish organs. Encephalitis is a liguid (most likely blood or brain/spine liguide) blocked between your brain and your skull, if you don't stop the swelling it will squeeze your brain and it could cause severe brain dommage that could result to death and it can be extremely painful.

Pimples are a good example of swelling that can cause pain and if you've ever had pimples you'll realise that a pimple on your cheek will be less painful than a pimple near your lips. That's simply because your lips are one of the most sensible (nerved) body part. If you have never had pimple, then a swollen lip will be more painful even if you don't touch it than a black eye which both swollen as well.

Anyway in a sprain ankle injury, the swollen as someone said earlier comes from the inflamation of the ligament and in that injury that's that ligament that is hurting and not the other way around.

Dominic
Jan 11th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Anyway in a sprain ankle injury, the swollen as someone said earlier comes from the inflamation of the ligament and in that injury that's that ligament that is hurting and not the other way around.

:worship: thank you

Yoncé
Jan 11th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I have really weak ankles and roll one of them about every three days or at least once a week. When its just like that the pain is worse right away. I've done them both pretty badly as well, I fractured the left one and torn ligaments in the right, and that's when the pain is worse a couple of days after, especially the day after you've done it and you can't even move it.

Vincey!
Jan 11th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I have really weak ankles and roll one of them about every three days or at least once a week. When its just like that the pain is worse right away. I've done them both pretty badly as well, I fractured the left one and torn ligaments in the right, and that's when the pain is worse a couple of days after, especially the day after you've done it and you can't even move it.

Yes that exactly. When the ligament is hurt that's when it really get painful few days later. AFter my ankle injury, I've twisted it again a few times but it never hurt the ligament so after like 5 minutes I couldn't feel anything. It all depends of the injury level. As tennis players loads of them have sprained their ankles regularly. Dokic was probably one of those, and Serena has them taped so she probably had the sprained before or at least those tape helped her to not make in worse. In Maria's case I've never heard she had an ankle injury ever and she never taped her ankle. Thus far, we can assume her injury was a first and worse. Also once you've sprained your ankle once before that ankle will get more suceptible to get sprained again BUT there's less chance it's going to be as severe as the first time at last since the ligament has probably got a little be more loose due to the previous injury. My uncle has continuous ankle problem and now one of his foot can go sideway without him feeling much pain, which mean his ligament is really loose now.

Mikey.
Jan 12th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Definitely the next few days afterward.