PDA

View Full Version : What will happen to Arantxa's gold exempt?

babsi
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:04 PM
As Arantxa has retired, her gold exempt for next year will be invalid, what will the WTA do?

Give it to someone else?

Or leave it as it is.

Gandalf
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:09 PM
I hadn't thought of that, but I guess they'll give it to someone else...Patty Schnyder? Or maybe Conchita?

Helen Lawson
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Maybe Patty is rethinking that hilarious Mickey Mouse/Michael Jackson e-mail to the WTA.

Volcana
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Give it to Patty

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:44 PM
I think it goes to #1 on Silver Exempt.

Joseosu19
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:04 PM
:sad:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Volcana
Give it to Patty

Give it to Volcano...:bounce: :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:44 PM
The Board of Directors will have to make another choice.

I hope they give it to one of the young ones :)

anton
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Helen Lawson
Maybe Patty is rethinking that hilarious Mickey Mouse/Michael Jackson e-mail to the WTA.

Patty should get into the top 16 so she doesnt need this hand out. Maybe Danira Safina would be good since she is generating some interest. Also what will happen to Alex Steve's gold exempt if she moves into the top 15 or top 10? She won't need it either.

HEaven forbid Kournikovout ever get serious about tennis, she could move into top 10, but she seems more interested in being Barbie.:confused:

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Conchita!

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Dinara or Conchita are NOT eligible for one
only players inside Top 50 after the US Open qualify

anton
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:30 PM
:( the wta has too many iffy rules. they should loosen up!!:)

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:34 PM
:fiery: so the WC for Bovina :)

Philip
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Hmm give it to babsi schett :D
or
Patty :)

ColinB
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Mary Pierce - if she is planning on committing to a full schedule in 2003

Pamela Shriver
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:19 PM
Can I have it???

TSequoia01
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Well one thing we know, it would have to go to someone outside the top 16 immediately after the U.S. Open. Who has the ranking the monday after? :cool:

DutchieGirl
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by TSequoia01
Well one thing we know, it would have to go to someone outside the top 16 immediately after the U.S. Open. Who has the ranking the monday after? :cool:

Patty was the next one outside the top 16. She missd out on being in the top 16 by a few points. AT least that's what someone was saying when they announced who got the Gold Exempts.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:00 AM
Arantxa was awarded one of the WC's, so they will award another WC.

Top 16 players are already done and got their gold exemption.

disposablehero
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:11 AM
To me, Patty stands out from the field. They need to be professional and get past the argument.

ColinB
Nov 14th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Yes.... But the Gold Exempt Wild-Cards are reserved for players like Arantxa and Anna K that can draw in crowds to events and that fans like to see. No offence to Patty and her fans, but she is not really in that league... If someone from the top 16 had retired like say Farina, then yes Patty should and would get an exempt, but the Wild-card will either go an up and coming player like Bovina or Pierce who after all has 2 Grand Slams.

Buitenzorg
Nov 14th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Does anyone have The List of The GOLD / SILVER Exempt Players?

wave
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Don't you have to be a multiple GS winner for getting a gold extemp? That would leave only Pierce... If she is not suitable because of her ranking then they should not give it to someone other (like a young player). First they should prove themselves then they can get extemps...

DutchieGirl
Nov 14th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by wave
Don't you have to be a multiple GS winner for getting a gold extemp? That would leave only Pierce... If she is not suitable because of her ranking then they should not give it to someone other (like a young player). First they should prove themselves then they can get extemps...

No, you don't... Coetzer got a Gold exempt for next year, and unless I missed a big part of her career, she never won a gs yet!

Anna K and Alex S have had them in the past too... :rolleyes:

DutchieGirl
Nov 14th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by ColinB
Yes.... But the Gold Exempt Wild-Cards are reserved for players like Arantxa and Anna K that can draw in crowds to events and that fans like to see. No offence to Patty and her fans, but she is not really in that league... If someone from the top 16 had retired like say Farina, then yes Patty should and would get an exempt, but the Wild-card will either go an up and coming player like Bovina or Pierce who after all has 2 Grand Slams.

You have to be ranked IN THE TOP 50 by the end of the USO from this year to even be considered for a Gold Exempt! Bovina was only in the top 50 after the USO coz of the win against Dokic and the bonus points it gave her. Don't get me wrong, I like Bovina, and if she gets it I don't have a problem... but how do you know SHE will pull in the crowds more than Patty would? And why should Patty only get it if "someone like Farina" had retired??? What sort of reasoning is that?

And who says Patty doesn't pull in crowds in Europe... OK, she might not in America but she does have many fans.

Also, Mary hasn't exactly been playing much lately, so if she is eligable would it be worth giving it to her, as who knows when she's even gonna play again! Was she even in the top 50 by the end of the USO this year anyway?

Mercury Rising
Nov 14th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Can someone explain this Gold Exempt thing in understandable words please. Thanx.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Noodles
check the board on here http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4293

The lists are still for 2002
when the 2003 full numeric list is available then it will be on there.

King Aaron
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Elena B, give it to her

Aloysius
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Speaking of former Grand Slam champs, what about Iva Majoli? It's either going to be her, Conchita Martinez, or the next in line, which was Patty Schnyder.

Mercury Rising
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
Noodles
check the board on here http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4293

The lists are still for 2002
when the 2003 full numeric list is available then it will be on there.
I was afraid of such an explanation. Does it somewhere in that text say what the purpose of this GE is? Why does it exict, does the ATP has something like that? And why after US Open?

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:47 PM
ATP doesn't have that
and I guess they decided US OPEN as its last slam of year and they have a few weeks to decide who goes where in list and the WC's

You still have a year from one US OPEN to the next to get into Top 50.