PDA

View Full Version : Hardcorefans! Time to save the WTA from itself!

Volcana
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:32 PM
I've noticed that my local sports radio outlet doesn't give the scores of most women's tennis tournaments. I've initiated an e-mail dialog with one of the hosts at my local station, and I'm working toward getting them to at least give the results of Tier I, II and III tournaments. THe likelihoood is that I'll have to provide them with both the info, and a realible news source.

This is where we can all try and help the WTA. It takes about 5 seconds for an announcer to say "Justine henin defeated Kim Clijsters today in the final of the Birkenstock Open in Liverpool 6-4 3-6 6-4". But it takes more effort to get the data. However, if we each contatced out local stations, and expleianed that we'd provide the info, and that the reliable source would be the WTA website, the are SOME radio stations who would approve giving those scores. The WTA should be doing this themselves, but we can each act locally.

There are a lot of folks with a casual interest in tennis who don't even know that Kim ended the year so strongly, cause a number of US stations didn't even give the scores of the Tour Champ final! I went around the dial listening Tuesday, and even the brief 'update' sections made no mention. But when I e-mailed the radio station, they indicated that some accomodationwas possible.

If the WTA can't manage to increase basic daily or weekly tennis coverage (in the States, anyway) maybe there's something we, as the true hardcore fans, can do.

Any other ideas of things WE can do, let's hear 'em. We've whined enough, let's take it upon ourselves to see that next year, the tour looks a little healthier on TV.

2ace2
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Good initiative IMO! :D

Volcana
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:37 PM
If its so good, how come you were the only person who even answered. Many people would rather bitch than try to solve the problem.

Monica_Rules
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Good idea but i have no local radio station here:sad:

Volcana
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Monica_Rules - Doesn't have to be local. Try the nearest college radio station.

disposablehero
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:25 PM
If they can't do it themselves by now, it may in fact be up to us.

BigTennisFan
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Even though I'm in Los Angeles the coverage of women's tennis particularly on the sports talks shows here sucks.

All anyone seems to be able to do here is moan about the Lakers. :(

BK4ever
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:25 PM
i will do the same here...

I will also include my local papers

I will also ask the director at the USTA tennis center where I play if I can have one of the bulletin boards in the lobby of the indoor building to post Weekly tournaments and results as well as "Tennis on TV". Some saturdays I have to fight with some of the staff to let me watch tennis instead of some bullshit movie they want to watch. Its a damn shame.

Great Idea...

Volcana
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:19 PM
I've started out contact the 'Mike and Mike in the Morning Show' on ESPNRadio. Thats 1050am in New York. There are a couple college stations I'll try too. rememberm it may take persistence. Tell them YOU'LL provide the scores, via e-mail, and a link to the WTA site so they can verify. This minimizes the amount of work THEY have to do.

ANY ideas that might get the WTA out there are good. And as for them doing it, forget it. Our best hope is to get a list of 10 - 50 stations/newspapers we can get agreements with, then TELL the WTA what we're doing, and what they need to do to duplicate it.

They've now managed to stink out the joint in majoer cities on both sides of the globe. I'll bet Pattaya had bigger crowds Wednesday and Thursday than L.A. which is damn pathetic.

Brian Stewart
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a good idea. A "grass roots" initiative on the part of the fans. There should be some people willing to pitch in. Granted, a lot of people would rather come in here and bitch about things like lack of coverage rather than complaining where it will do the most good.

This proactive approach will help get the word out. If we can at least get them to do the one big tournament each week (Tier II+), that's at least 50 player names that will be circulated on a semi-regular basis.

"Topaz"
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Good old grass-roots initiative! Isn't that nice! To avoid disappointment or a goose chase, before undertaking anything, one should define the project and a success measurement system.
What is the goal here? Let's brainstorm:

1- "to increase basic daily or weekly tennis coverage" as regards WTA;
2- to get radio stations to provide one-liners on WTA match results;
3- to get all media to provide one-liners on match results;
4- to get people to know about WTA;
5- to get the matches on TV where people can see what WTA and the sport are all about.

So... what exactly are we shooting for?
Personally, I don't see any benefit in result one-liners, be they on radio or other media. People get that about Cricket (here in Canada) but very few care. We do get tennis result one-liners on some radio stations, and I bet only tennis fans pay attention to them. I tune to those stations only when I'm driving.

The goal item I find viable is item #5. I'm willing to do whatever I can towards that, as I feel the result would be effective, tangible, and, to make it simple, I’d get to see the matches. Right now, I look like a computer nerd when I'm "watching" a match on ... the internet. I'm sure people near me find it weird, even though nobody has ever mentioned anything negative. Bottom line, there isn't much I can do beyond emailing to those TV stations with very little hope of success.

However, I have another idea. Several major companies are using WTA and the players to increase their presence in their respective market or even to display their products. Their intention, I suppose, is to reach a large pool of viewers or prospective customers. So, the more viewers, the better. In this case, why don't we approach these companies and invite them to contact the TV stations and media moguls? First, they are probably major shareholders of those stations, and, more importantly, their voices may carry more weight. The result: they win, we win and the sport wins. How about that?

tennischick
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:17 AM
lovely ideas. i feel so excited. imagine an e-tennis community actually accomplishing something other than fighting with each other! great ideas all. i'll give it some thought as well.

Volcana: expect this to show up Jon Wertheim's column next week! :eek: i wonder if he will give you any credit? ;) ;)

disposablehero
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:58 AM
One more thing we should keep in mind if we choose to do this. Stations are liable to be skeptical of any "women only" content and find it less credible. In order to be taken seriously, we will likely need to promise and deliver some ATP content as well. Some of us will be happy to do so, I am sure, but for others it will be a chore.