PDA

View Full Version : Turning to be a vegan?

Lin Lin
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:44 AM
How hard would it be?:awww:

I will try this.:awww:

Any vegetarians?;)

Rafito.
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I tried this I lasted like abit over a month I can without everything but dairy products is just another level of hard. But you should try it and just see how you go. My mum has been a vegan for like 26 years so it's definatly possible if you put your mind to it.

Pasta-Na
Jan 6th, 2012, 08:07 AM

Any vegetarians?;)

I thought you eat the bamboos only, Lin Head. :oh:

Mistress of Evil
Jan 6th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I gave up meat a year and a half ago. Being a vegan will be too much of a task for me, kashakaval & eggs have quite the place on my menu. :awww: Furthermore, strict vegans do not consume any products that consist of materials derived from animals which is quite hard to accomplish, have to check labels all the time.

Just Do It
Jan 6th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Vegan or vegetarian ? My friend, who was a fatty became a vegan and she is almost anorexic now. I think she lost 25 kg in 2 years. So, if you wanna lose some weight, go for it, if you have an ideal weight stay out of it because it could turn bad for you.

Mistress of Evil
Jan 6th, 2012, 11:07 AM
You won't last. It's not natural or healthy.

LOL! FYI the very first human beings were vegetarians, the hunting and the consummation of meat came after that. So its quite natural if you ask me, being vegetarian that is. ;) Veganism is too severe form of a diet and not for everyone.

Vegan or vegetarian ? My friend, who was a fatty became a vegan and she is almost anorexic now. I think she lost 25 kg in 2 years. So, if you wanna lose some weight, go for it, if you have an ideal weight stay out of it because it could turn bad for you.

Everything about weight is strictly individual. :shrug: There are fat vegetarians/vegans, you know. :lol:

The Witch-king
Jan 6th, 2012, 11:13 AM
LOL! FYI the very first human beings were vegetarians, the hunting and the consummation of meat came after that. So its quite natural if you ask me, being vegetarian that is. ;) Veganism is too severe form of a diet and not for everyone.

Steven, the thread title is:

Re: Turning to be a vegan?

That's what I was responding to.:wavey:

Sean.
Jan 6th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Steven, the thread title is:

Re: Turning to be a vegan?

That's what I was responding to.:wavey:

They would have been Vegan too as they wouldn't have had access to dairy, fish, eggs, etc.

Shadowcat
Jan 6th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Can Vegan eat fish? :awww:

GoofyDuck
Jan 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Actually there were different kind of humans.

The one that ate only grass and plants died.

The one that ate everything survived.> homo sapiens.

But anyway I would never turn vegan, I only live once. please let me eat good food :lick:

I know someone who turned vegan but still ate fish, we had discussion because I said fish is also an animal.
she said fish can't think or something.
anyway it's just stupid to turn vegan because you feel bad for animals or something.
But you still eat eggs from tortured chickens and fish.

Shadowcat
Jan 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM

But anyway I would never turn vegan, I only live once. please let me eat good food :lick:

I know someone who turned vegan but still ate fish, we had discussion because I said fish is also an animal.
anyway it's just stupid to turn vegan because you feel bad for animals or something.
But you still eat eggs from tortured chickens and fish ETCETERA.

:lol: True. I think Vegan should be allowed to eat at least fish for their protein because it's not exactly meat.

Sally Struthers
Jan 6th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Vegans are a militant faction of the vegetarians :sobbing:

King Halep
Jan 6th, 2012, 03:58 PM

Everything about weight is strictly individual. :shrug: There are fat vegetarians/vegans, you know. :lol:

you get fat from excess carbo not from meat

*JR*
Jan 6th, 2012, 08:22 PM
There's some lack of clarity ITT. A vegan is a vegetarian who also eschews using non-food animal products; like leather shoes, belts, and wallets. A vegan also would never get a car with leather seats (though re. the steering wheel padding may not have a choice) or wear a goose down parka, get a real feather filled pillow, etc).

In practical terms many avoid buying wool because of alleged cruel treatment of sheep, but that's not "vegan specific". For example, many non-vegetarians only use cosmetics certified as not tested on animals, and beef or milk from free-range cattle. I'm still looking for a (living) PETA member who threw paint on Mary J. Blige's fur coat. :scared:

In terms of the health effects, some ppl do well on meat-free diets, and others don't (depending on their own genetics). In general, ppl with Type A blood tend to need carbs more than those with Type O, though this is an ova-simplification, as their are other metabolic distinctions involved. (I believe Types B and AB are fairly uncommon).

Lin Lin
Jan 7th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I thought you eat the bamboos only, Lin Head. :oh:

I also eat carrot:awww:

Lin Lin
Jan 7th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Can Vegan eat fish? :awww:

I think you can't:awww:

delicatecutter
Jan 7th, 2012, 02:25 AM
I thought all Chinese people only ate rice anyway? Aren't you already a vegan?

canuckfan
Jan 7th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Do you have really strong moral convictions about animal rights? If not, I really don't see the point.

Calvin M.
Jan 7th, 2012, 03:15 AM
I was a vegan for a year. It's hard but doable. Did it only for the experience of learning about your body's relation to food. I went back to dairy after the 12 months were up because I missed dairy a lot. Dairy does its share of damage but I'll live with it since I'm not eating meat or poultry (haven't for 23 yrs).

There's some lack of clarity ITT. A vegan is a vegetarian who also eschews using non-food animal products; like leather shoes, belts, and wallets. A vegan also would never get a car with leather seats (though re. the steering wheel padding may not have a choice) or wear a goose down parka, get a real feather filled pillow, etc).

In practical terms many avoid buying wool because of alleged cruel treatment of sheep, but that's not "vegan specific". For example, many non-vegetarians only use cosmetics certified as not tested on animals, and beef or milk from free-range cattle. I'm still looking for a (living) PETA member who threw paint on Mary J. Blige's fur coat. :scared:

In terms of the health effects, some ppl do well on meat-free diets, and others don't (depending on their own genetics). In general, ppl with Type A blood tend to need carbs more than those with Type O, though this is an ova-simplification, as their are other metabolic distinctions involved. (I believe Types B and AB are fairly uncommon).

Spot-on, Roger. People forget that vegan-ism is an entire lifestyle.

ranfurly
Jan 7th, 2012, 03:49 AM
My advice would be to do a little research into veganism, go and speak to some people, even vegeterians to get a grass roots look into it.

People have this conceptual view that it's changing your eating habits.

Whilst that is a commodity of veganism, it's more a lifestyle choice rather than diet, and alot of people don't familarise themselves with that.

During uni breaks I worked on a WOOFING Farm, which was organic and owned by a family who were vegan. They were partially self sufficient, had a bit of a yack about it, they said the two things which were a barrier when they chose to become vegan, was

1) Time
2) Money.

True Veganism, is expensive, especially if you aren't self sustainable so be prepared to fork out.

It's time consuming as well, not only for what you have to check with products etc, but because it's also a change in lifestyle which doesn't happen overnight.

I'd say go vego first, gradually phasing out things overtime and learning what is appropriate and not for a vegan lifestyle.

Lin Lin
Jan 7th, 2012, 04:09 AM
My advice would be to do a little research into veganism, go and speak to some people, even vegeterians to get a grass roots look into it.

People have this conceptual view that it's changing your eating habits.

Whilst that is a commodity of veganism, it's more a lifestyle choice rather than diet, and alot of people don't familarise themselves with that.

During uni breaks I worked on a WOOFING Farm, which was organic and owned by a family who were vegan. They were partially self sufficient, had a bit of a yack about it, they said the two things which were a barrier when they chose to become vegan, was

1) Time
2) Money.

True Veganism, is expensive, especially if you aren't self sustainable so be prepared to fork out.

It's time consuming as well, not only for what you have to check with products etc, but because it's also a change in lifestyle which doesn't happen overnight.

I'd say go vego first, gradually phasing out things overtime and learning what is appropriate and not for a vegan lifestyle.

Very good post:yeah:

Lin Lin
Jan 7th, 2012, 04:10 AM
I thought all Chinese people only ate rice anyway? Aren't you already a vegan?

I don't eat rice:lol:

Shadowcat
Jan 7th, 2012, 05:52 AM

:speakles:

Asian doesn't eat rice? That's a shock.

Lin Lin
Jan 7th, 2012, 07:56 AM
:speakles:

Asian doesn't eat rice? That's a shock.

Why a shock?:scratch:

Rice only 1% for me maybe:lol:

Shadowcat
Jan 7th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Why a shock?:scratch:

Rice only 1% for me maybe:lol:

Because technically rice is a staple food in Asia.

1%? :speakles: Then what do you eat for your other 99%? :p

Pasta-Na
Jan 7th, 2012, 10:49 PM
"Turning to be a virgin?" :secret:

antonella
Jan 7th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Because technically rice is a staple food in Asia.

1%? :speakles: Then what do you eat for your other 99%? :p

He's probably a Northerner, and Northern Chinese, as I understand, rely on wheat rather than rice as their main subsistance grain. They consume wheat in the form of noodles, buns, dumplings and pancakes such as mooncakes. Rice is the main grain for those in the humid south.

LeRoy.
Jan 8th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I am a vegetarian but i have been thinking about going vegan for the past year. I am not a huge fan of milk, cream or butter but I do love cheese and yogurt so i envision it being difficult. :help:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 8th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Just read that Venus and Serena are going vegan too.:spit:

Barrie_Dude
Jan 8th, 2012, 01:45 AM
I suggest that you do not become a vegan. Men need meat. I understand that goat is quite tasty. Particularly if it is a Bar B Que with a Flower Goat!

Shadowcat
Jan 8th, 2012, 03:22 AM
He's probably a Northerner, and Northern Chinese, as I understand, rely on wheat rather than rice as their main subsistance grain. They consume wheat in the form of noodles, buns, dumplings and pancakes such as mooncakes. Rice is the main grain for those in the humid south.

Oh okay :cool:

Shadowcat
Jan 8th, 2012, 03:23 AM
I suggest that you do not become a vegan. Men need meat. I understand that goat is quite tasty. Particularly if it is a Bar B Que with a Flower Goat!

So women does not need meat? :haha:

iPaparazzo
Jan 8th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Vegans miss out on LIFE :worship:
Steak, Barbecued ribs, pork chops :P
Don't change for the worse...stay on the dark side since we have cookies

:drive:

Barrie_Dude
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:04 AM
So women does not need meat? :haha:
Oh, I have some meat for ya, honey! :hehehe:

Shadowcat
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Oh, I have some meat for ya, honey! :hehehe:

:toothy:

Barrie_Dude
Jan 8th, 2012, 05:11 AM
:facepalm:

flyingmachine
Jan 8th, 2012, 10:48 AM

Any vegetarians?;)

Well like JR said before to become Vegan is not just the question of diets but also a lifestyle. I have a close friend who has been a vegan over 10 years now. As well as she doesn't eat meat and dairy products she also don't wear anything that's come from an animal i.e. leather shoes, belt, jackets. It was a nightmare for her to found formal black shoes which is not made from leather when she used work in a office. We have an leather sofa at home and when she comes to my house she asked can she sit in a wooden stool because she doesn't want to sit on a leather sofa. :tape:
Also eating out are very difficult since the closest vegan restaurant in my area is about 1 hour drive so I don't really eat out with her for years. Despite the difficulties she done OK out of it. Since she is now a farmer so lifestyle wise its a bit easier for her now to be a vegan than before.
Anyway if you want to become a vegan I would suggest you to become a vegetarian first and see how it goes.

gentenaire
Jan 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I honestly don't know how vegans survive. I suppose you have be to someone who doesn't really care about food. I can't think of a single recipe that I like that's vegan.

And I never understood what's wrong about eating eggs.

Shadowcat
Jan 8th, 2012, 11:53 AM
:facepalm:

what? :p

Calvin M.
Jan 8th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Are you carb-free or do you eat other starch? Also, just curious: are you considering the lifestyle change in order to lose weight?

Calvin M.
Jan 8th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I honestly don't know how vegans survive. I suppose you have be to someone who doesn't really care about food. I can't think of a single recipe that I like that's vegan.

It's an eat to live > live to eat lifestyle. My one year on a Japanese-oriented form of veganism was both difficult and amazing. I was surprised how good I felt without meat, diary and sugar. The Rx and over-the-counter cos would be put of business if we all went vegan. hahaha

Halardfan
Jan 8th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Lin, are you a vegetarian already, thinking of going Vegan, or a meat eater wanting to take a big step to being Vegan?

I think to go straight from eating meat to bring Vegan would be hugely challenging, though far from impossible. But I would recccomend trying Vegetarianism as a first step which is far easier.

Your motive in wanting to be Vegan or Veggie can influence your chance or success with sticking with it. Simply seeing slaughterhouse footage was enough to turn me Vegetarian. Its obviously a more animal-friendly lifestyle than meat eating. However I'm not a Vegan, despite it equally being a more animal friendly lifestyle than being Vegetarian. For me personally being Vegan would leave me with too narrow a range of things to eat.

Well, good luck!

jacobruiz
Jan 8th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I have been a vegan for several years and I have never been healthier. Plus, I LOVE to eat good food, gorge myself all day on vegan delicacies and never gain weight.
My only concern is why didn't I do this a decade ago! :D

Dominic
Jan 8th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Do you have really strong moral convictions about animal rights? If not, I really don't see the point.

This. It's the best way to have a severe lack of protein in your diet.

jacobruiz
Jan 8th, 2012, 11:10 PM
No, that's not true. Excessive amounts of protein are not necessary to be healthy. Humans can get all the protein they need from plant sources. Soy (tofu, tempeh,soy milk, etc), beans, lentils, grains, nuts and other plant foods provide all the protein we need. And they don't come with all the saturated fat, chemicals, hormones, antibiotics that come with meat.
Hey - eat what you want but I'm just saying...

Dominic
Jan 8th, 2012, 11:46 PM
No, that's not true. Excessive amounts of protein are not necessary to be healthy. Humans can get all the protein they need from plant sources. Soy (tofu, tempeh,soy milk, etc), beans, lentils, grains, nuts and other plant foods provide all the protein we need. And they don't come with all the saturated fat, chemicals, hormones, antibiotics that come with meat.
Hey - eat what you want but I'm just saying...

I didn't say it was impossible to get enough protein to satisfy your need if you're a vegan, I'm just saying if you don't know what you are doing, you are WAAAAAAY more likely to have a lack of protein than someone who eats meat and dairy. Not only are there less protein in the vegetal world but the proteins that are there, are not complete (this could be complicated to explain, but basically they're not quality proteins compared to the ones you would find in meat dairy and fish) and you need to eat some foods in combination in the same meal to have complete proteins fully assimilable by the human body.

And BTW most meats contain very little fat, it's more dependant on how you cook them. and what kind of cuts you choose.

Lin Lin
Jan 9th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Are you carb-free or do you eat other starch? Also, just curious: are you considering the lifestyle change in order to lose weight?

I don't need to lose weight;)

Lin Lin
Jan 9th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Lin, are you a vegetarian already, thinking of going Vegan, or a meat eater wanting to take a big step to being Vegan?

I think to go straight from eating meat to bring Vegan would be hugely challenging, though far from impossible. But I would recccomend trying Vegetarianism as a first step which is far easier.

Your motive in wanting to be Vegan or Veggie can influence your chance or success with sticking with it. Simply seeing slaughterhouse footage was enough to turn me Vegetarian. Its obviously a more animal-friendly lifestyle than meat eating. However I'm not a Vegan, despite it equally being a more animal friendly lifestyle than being Vegetarian. For me personally being Vegan would leave me with too narrow a range of things to eat.

Well, good luck!

I am a vegetarian:awww:

jacobruiz
Jan 9th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I didn't say it was impossible to get enough protein to satisfy your need if you're a vegan, I'm just saying if you don't know what you are doing, you are WAAAAAAY more likely to have a lack of protein than someone who eats meat and dairy. Not only are there less protein in the vegetal world but the proteins that are there, are not complete (this could be complicated to explain, but basically they're not quality proteins compared to the ones you would find in meat dairy and fish) and you need to eat some foods in combination in the same meal to have complete proteins fully assimilable by the human body.

And BTW most meats contain very little fat, it's more dependant on how you cook them. and what kind of cuts you choose.

Well, the "complete protein" myth has been disproved! It was incorrectly thought, and still is, that animal protein is more complete in amino acids than plant protein and that certain plant proteins must be eaten together to form "complete" protein.

This is now known to be untrue. Google "complete protein myth" or something like that if you want to read about it. The meat industry (and others) has perpetrated this stuff for their own gain and many still believe it. But you are right that anyone wanting to give up eating animal products needs to educate her/himself on the subject in order to eat the healthiest diet possible.

Dominic
Jan 9th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Well, the "complete protein" myth has been disproved! It was incorrectly thought, and still is, that animal protein is more complete in amino acids than plant protein and that certain plant proteins must be eaten together to form "complete" protein.

Hmm I'm not sure what your source is but I know ppl with bachelors in nutrition and some even studying to be doctors in that field as of today, and they still consider vegetal proteins to be incomplete because they don't contain all the amino acids.

gentenaire
Jan 9th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I have been a vegan for several years and I have never been healthier. Plus, I LOVE to eat good food, gorge myself all day on vegan delicacies and never gain weight.
My only concern is why didn't I do this a decade ago! :D

Can you give an example of an ordinary week menu? I can't think of a single vegan recipe that sounds tasty, let alone 14.

Halardfan
Jan 9th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I am a vegetarian:awww:

Me too!

I think a Vegan lifestyle is certainly kinder to animals than our current Vegetarian one. Of course a Vegetarian lifestyle is kinder to animals than a meat eating one.

If you do go Vegan, make sure you are getting all the necessary vitamins etc, that will prove very challenging I imagine. Personally I would find a Vegan diet too limited as I said, while at the same time I admire those with the dedication to become Vegan.

LeRoy.
Jan 9th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Can you give an example of an ordinary week menu? I can't think of a single vegan recipe that sounds tasty, let alone 14.

Not vegan yet but i love this website for fat-free vegan recipes and some of them turn out to be delicious

some examples

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2011/10/27/kung-pao-vegetables/

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/01/eggplant-and-chickpea-curry.html

LeRoy.
Jan 9th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I am a scientist (but not in nutrition) and let me say that the whole Animal Protein > Plant Protein argument is plain BS. Yes, vegetarians and vegans need to ensure they get enough proteins but there is NO TRUTH to the notion that "animal proteins" are superior to "plant-based proteins".

Kart
Jan 9th, 2012, 07:53 PM
You only need about eight amino acids from your diet to survive and there's plenty of protein in things like tofu.

I've always assumed the risks of vegan lifestyle comes down more to the reduced intake of things like B12, calcium and iron which are abundant in meat and / or dairy products.

That said, it can't be that hard to balance your diet provided you pay attention and are organised.

LeRoy.
Jan 9th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I have decided i am going to ease myself into turning vegan over the next three months. It is going to involve gradually reducing my intake of cheese, yogurt and eggs. I already avoid milk, butter and cream as much as I can. I'll try to post my thoughts in this thread.

esquímaux
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Vegans are a militant faction of the vegetarians :sobbing:

I thought Vegans came from the constellation Lyra :sobbing:

it-girl
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I've actually been a vegetarian and a vegan before. It was not too bad, I kept it really interesting by using soy products instead of regular dairy. A lot of the meals were really good if you take the time to season them like you would meat or a normal dish. They also have a lot of meals in the frozen section that makes it really easy to be a vegan now days. A lot of my dishes people ate and could not tell it was vegan food. I even got soy ice cream. But I have to admit that I eventually did miss meat. I love seafood so and I don't know where it happened but suddenly I was no longer a vegan:lol:

Barrie_Dude
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:55 PM
what? :p
Piya :haha:

Shadowcat
Jan 11th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Piya :haha:

Piya what? :confused:

Beat
Jan 11th, 2012, 08:32 AM

i don't understand the vegan mindset neither as illustrated by this example:

We have an leather sofa at home and when she comes to my house she asked can she sit in a wooden stool because she doesn't want to sit on a leather sofa. :tape:

but there's a vegan restaurant here in zurich and i must say that their food is really good!

I am a scientist (but not in nutrition) and let me say that the whole Animal Protein > Plant Protein argument is plain BS.

speaking like a true scientist :worship:

That said, it can't be that hard to balance your diet provided you pay attention and are organised.

that's the reason why there's been quite a discussion about hardcore vegans raising their children (and their dogs, i kid you not) only on vegan food.

flyingmachine
Jan 12th, 2012, 02:59 PM
i don't understand the vegan mindset neither as illustrated by this example:

Well but that's Gentenaire :tape:

but there's a vegan restaurant here in zurich and i must say that their food is really good!

There is a lot of difference between a regional city i.e. Derby and an international city ie. Zurich. Anyway we always to go Birmingham for that so its not much of a problem.

that's the reason why there's been quite a discussion about hardcore vegans raising their children (and their dogs, i kid you not) only on vegan food.
This is not joke on this one you can make a dog a vegan but you can't turn a cat into a vegan. My friend tried to do that with her cat but ended up epic failed. :tape::o

gentenaire
Jan 12th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Well but that's Gentenaire :tape:

Excuse me?!

Barrie_Dude
Jan 22nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
Where is LinLin?

mykarma
Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:00 PM
You won't last. It's not natural or healthy.
It's more healthy than eating fat animals pumped full of hormones and who knows what else. I would love to do it but don't have the discipline.

mykarma
Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:04 PM

But you still eat eggs from tortured chickens and fish.
Vegans don't eat fish at all. I eat no beef chicken or shell fish but do eat other fish so I'm not a vegan.

ranfurly
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:15 AM
It's more healthy than eating fat animals pumped full of hormones and who knows what else. I would love to do it but don't have the discipline.

So would I,

I just don't have the disposable income to support it either lol.

Dominic
Jan 24th, 2012, 05:35 AM

Just about nothing is 100% natural nowadays in grocery stores, fruits and veggies are DEFINITELY no exceptions. Meat used to be the main source of nutrition for humans, back in a simpler time. I have absolutely nothing against the idea of veganism but calling it more healthy or natural than having a complete omnivore diet is wrong.

ranfurly
Jan 24th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Just about nothing is 100% natural nowadays in grocery stores, fruits and veggies are DEFINITELY no exceptions. Meat used to be the main source of nutrition for humans, back in a simpler time. I have absolutely nothing against the idea of veganism but calling it more healthy or natural than having a complete omnivore diet is wrong.

Very True,

If I were to open my pantry, Most things would contain some preservative, synthetic.

Bread wasn't supposed to last nearly a week. I make my own bread, and Im lucky if I get 2 days out of it.

Most fruit has been in controlled environments for 6 months-1 year, and "embalmed" as well as cleaned and washed in a chemical to make it looks attractive to the shoppers.

It's amazing what they "wash" these fruit in to get it looking so crisp for the shelves.

I've never seen such perfect, orange looking oranges in the middle of Winter. I know these are just the standards for the market.

I try and buy organic where possible, and support local farmer markets, from there, I know where my produce has come from, I can speak directly to the supplier and support the local economy.

Fresh veges and fruit always tastes better. It may not look perfect compared to supermarket bought produce, but you can't discredit the taste and it's means.

Oranges wern't intended to be one shade of orange, Apples wern't intended to be perfectly spherical with no blotches, I prefer my fruit looking ugly then looking like Cher's face.

If I find soft bits, grazed, I cut it out. Simple.

Anyway, This isn't even about veganism, just thought I'd like to share :-)

:):cool:

wild.river
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Very True,

If I were to open my pantry, Most things would contain some preservative, synthetic.

Bread wasn't supposed to last nearly a week. I make my own bread, and Im lucky if I get 2 days out of it.

Most fruit has been in controlled environments for 6 months-1 year, and "embalmed" as well as cleaned and washed in a chemical to make it looks attractive to the shoppers.

It's amazing what they "wash" these fruit in to get it looking so crisp for the shelves.

I've never seen such perfect, orange looking oranges in the middle of Winter. I know these are just the standards for the market.

I try and buy organic where possible, and support local farmer markets, from there, I know where my produce has come from, I can speak directly to the supplier and support the local economy.

Fresh veges and fruit always tastes better. It may not look perfect compared to supermarket bought produce, but you can't discredit the taste and it's means.

Oranges wern't intended to be one shade of orange, Apples wern't intended to be perfectly spherical with no blotches, I prefer my fruit looking ugly then looking like Cher's face.

If I find soft bits, grazed, I cut it out. Simple.

Anyway, This isn't even about veganism, just thought I'd like to share :-)

:):cool:

you make your own bread? wow :eek:

i've been vegan since i started college. not an easy lifestyle.

ranfurly
Apr 6th, 2012, 03:22 AM
you make your own bread? wow :eek:

i've been vegan since i started college. not an easy lifestyle.

Generally if I have down time.

With the assistance of a breadmaker ofcourse ;-)

Beat
Apr 6th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Just about nothing is 100% natural nowadays in grocery stores, fruits and veggies are DEFINITELY no exceptions.

that's why i always buy my stuff at the market or directly from a farmer close to my home, both vegetables, fruit and meat. and i always make sure it's seasonal.

ranfurly
Apr 6th, 2012, 10:35 AM
that's why i always buy my stuff at the market or directly from a farmer close to my home, both vegetables, fruit and meat. and i always make sure it's seasonal.

I just came inside about 3 hours ago with 2 large pots of Tomatoes, Both Red and Green.

Unfortunately I have about another 3-4 pots still on the vines, and to be honest, I don't know what the hell I'm going to do with them all,

So I've decided to make:

2 x Jars of Tomato Chutney
2 x Jars of Green Tomato Chutney
1 x 2L Bottle of Tomato Sauce
1 x ice cream container of sundried tomatoes
6 x jarred tomatoes in sauce (for pastas etc)

and all these courjettes argh! looks like im eating marrow for the rest of the week lol

The Kaz
Apr 6th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I feel sorry for Vegan's, they miss out of so many delicious foods and for what cause? Animals will be also be going for the slaughter regardless. Its the way the world wags unfortunately.

The Kaz
Apr 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
You only need about eight amino acids from your diet to survive and there's plenty of protein in things like tofu.

I've always assumed the risks of vegan lifestyle comes down more to the reduced intake of things like B12, calcium and iron which are abundant in meat and / or dairy products.

Vitamin B12 is ONLY present in animal sources and Vitamin B12 deficiency has some very serious complications.

At the end of the day, a vegan diet is NOT nutritionally viable for human beings.

mykarma
Apr 6th, 2012, 02:11 PM

Most vegans eat a healthier/ more balanced diet than meat eaters but any diet can be non healthy. I don't eat red meat or chicken but eat fish because I'm lazy and in the southern U.S. restaurants don't cater to non meat eaters. If a meat eater and non meat eater are both on a balanced diet I believe the non meat diet is healthier. Being a vegetarian is more difficult in our society unless one likes to cook IMO.

Sammo
Apr 6th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I don't like eating mammals, it's a bit creepy in my opinion.

fifty-fifty
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I don't like eating mammals, it's a bit creepy in my opinion.

I agree mammals are very human-like.

Sammo
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I hate pigs but I try not to eat them because they are horrible for health, jews and muslims have been actually banned by their religions from eating them because of this reason, I mean it's not like 'Hey, you cant eat this random animal because I say so'. I believe the origin of this ban are health issues