PDA

View Full Version : Becker, Graf Want More Noise, Less Tournaments

babsi
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:31 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20021113/sp_nm/atp_becker_dc_4

2ace2
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Pff, I don't like that interview at all.
Graf:"On top of that there has been too much tennis on television in Europe and Germany. The spectators did not know any more which matches were important."
Some people like to see lower ranked players play actually. I think they're wrong on this one. Also about the schedule

irma
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:40 PM
I think they are right about the schedule!
about the tv, I always wanted to watch steffi exhibition or grand slam final.

but the idea about the clowns lmao :D :rolleyes:
what a jerk!

Mark43
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Boris wants bands, cheerleaders AND CLOWNS!!! This may be his Euro sensibility, but that crap would not wash!

CLOWNS!!!??????????????

Messenger
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Well maybe Graf wants to see only the Williams sisters on TV?

irma
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:47 PM
according to herself she doesn't watch women's tennis;)!

and about low-ranked players. we don't see them anyway!

Messenger
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:52 PM
lol, no she's a closet Williams fan!

Seriously, maybe she's saying that with too much tennis on TV the average person doesn't know the difference between important matches, so the Grand Slams etc. seem like just another tournament. Why she would care, I don't know.

irma
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:00 PM
yeah she doesn't even live here in europe anymore;)

Iconoclast
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by 2ace2
Some people like to see lower ranked players play actually. I think they're wrong on this one. Also about the schedule
"Some people" are not enough. The broadcasters rely on ratings, and it's only the top players (and Anna) who are capable of drawing in the large viewing audiences. Tennis fans might appreciate Rita Grande versus Daja Bedanova, but such a match has little appeal to a broader spectrum of sports viewers. People want familiar faces and familiar names.

However, I don't even think this was the argument Graf made. Rather, she seems to be afraid that people will lose interest in matches between top players if they meet every second week. Which is probably a fair assessment. If such encounters happen all the time, then what's special about it?

wave
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:16 PM
There is not so many tennis in German tv. If you don't count Eurosport there is DSF which shows only men's tennis :o. Some of the bigger German events are broadcastet by the two big official stations ARD and ZDF. But that's now on womens side only Berlin, Leipzig and Filderstadt. Hamburg was sold... From the GS: They are shown on a pay-tv-channel (Premiere) and three of them on Eurosport. So nothing there, too.
Personally I'm very glad to watch as many WTA matches on Eurosport. I'm sure I can decide which are important for me and hope that we don't need Steffi/Boris for us to do that. The only problem Tennis in Germany has right now is that there are no top players from this country (maybe besides Tommy Haas). And that has NOTHING to do with too much broadcasting. BTW: if nobody would watch the Eurosport matches they would probably not broadcast them anyway...
Steffi is wrong, how could she know, living in the US. And Boris? Are you really surprised about anything he says?

Serendy Willick
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:38 PM
OMG, I could imagine oversexed cheerleaders during the changeovers and clowns trying to entertain the kids! That would be some weird stuff.

RedRaider1
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:06 PM
I think Becker is right in saying that tennis needs to be made more fun for the general public. Same with Graf's idea for reducing the schedule.

bluepastures
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:29 PM
It's easy for players who have made millions (with very little tax!) to say those kind of badly thought-out things about reducing numbers of tournaments. But for the average WTA tour player, they need a large number of tournaments in order to make a living. This is even more so the case for players hoping to qualify for such tournaments, but who spend most of the year playing challengers