PDA

View Full Version : Black American Teen Deported to Columbia

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 5th, 2012, 02:37 PM
http://ht.ly/1gyaHO

Black American Teen Deported to Columbia: Family Had Been Frantically Searching for Her

Jakadrien turner ran away from her Dallas home at the age of 14 after her grandfather died and her parents divorced.
Traumatized and troubled, Jakadrien made her way to Houston, where she was arrested for theft. She gave officers a fake name — a name that coincidentally was the same as a Colombian illegal immigrant with a standing arrest warrant.
Despite the fact that Jakadrien speaks no Spanish, and she was fingerprinted by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE) while in their custody, the girl was mistakenly deported to Columbia in April of 2011.
The child’s grandmother, Lorene Turner, had been searching for her granddaughter since she left home, staying up into the early morning hours to search Facebook for any clue of Jakadrien’s wherabouts.
Turner credits messages on the social network for helping her locate Jakadrien, who had been working as a domestic in the South American country. Colombian officials took Jakadrien into custody where she has been waiting for a month in detention.
It has also been discovered that the teen is pregnant.
The Colombian government has refused to release the girl to her family in the United States.
In a statement, ICE Director of Public Affairs Brian Hale said of the case:
“ICE takes these allegations very seriously. At the direction of [the Department of Homeland Security], ICE is fully and immediately investigating this matter in order to expeditiously determine the facts of this case.”
Lorene Turner remains hopeful that her granddaughter will be returned home. “I feel like she will come home. I just need help. And I need prayer,” she told news reporters.
There must be more to this story than authorities are telling. A pregnant child is in detention in a foreign country and can’t be released to her U.S. family? Stay tuned …

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 5th, 2012, 02:39 PM
:confused:

Nicolás89
Jan 5th, 2012, 06:56 PM
:speakles: How can they make such a mistake?

tennismaster8820
Jan 5th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Unbelievable :o

Sammo
Jan 5th, 2012, 09:00 PM
:facepalm: assholes

it-girl
Jan 5th, 2012, 11:15 PM
This is horrible. What a nightmare for the entire family.

Infiniti2001
Jan 6th, 2012, 12:36 AM
watch her mom and grandma on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2012/01/05/pkg-lavandera-deported-teen.cnn

Helen Lawson
Jan 6th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I usually try to make excuses for government mistakes, but I have no explanation for this one.

Hurley
Jan 6th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Black American Teen Deported to Columbia

She's very lucky. It's a great university.

It would have sucked, however, had she been deported to the South American nation of Colombia.

hablo
Jan 6th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Shady stuff. Really shady!!! :speakles:

M2k
Jan 6th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Oh dear! :speakles:

dominicL
Jan 6th, 2012, 06:59 AM
This is crazy!!

The Witch-king
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:12 AM
camron, you could have made some effort.:o

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 6th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Made some effort for what? I copied exactly what was in the article without paying any attention to the spelling...It's about the content of the article not one silly spelling mistake the original writer of the article made..Thats the sort of nit picking bullshit that keeps me off this board....Hurley, you were not funny ten years ago...you not funny now...!!!

My question thought is what did she do to stop it? When she got on the plane..where did she think she was going?

The Witch-king
Jan 6th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Deleting one little letter and putting an 'o' in the title alone was too much to ask for?:weirdo:

JN
Jan 6th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Jakadrien Turner, Texas Teen Mistakenly Deported, May Come Home Soon

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/457646/thumbs/r-JAKADRIEN-TURNER-DEPORTER-large570.jpg
First Posted: 1/6/12 11:50 AM ET Updated: 1/6/12 11:52 AM ET

A family's worst nightmare came true when they learned their daughter and granddaughter had been mistakenly deported to Colombia by authorities after she was arrested for theft. But the family may be able to rest easy in the next couple of days, because their little girl may be coming home.

Continued @ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/06/jakadrien-turner-texas-te_n_1189421.html

Moveyourfeet
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Sounds like she wanted to go there.
I mean, who doesn't realize they are being deported? and she was given a work permit in Colombia and had started working as well.

edificio
Jan 7th, 2012, 12:43 AM
This is one of the strangest stories. She's got an independent streak, but I also wonder if she has some mental issues.

Fortunately, she's one her way home now.

mykarma
Jan 7th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Sounds like she wanted to go there.
I mean, who doesn't realize they are being deported? and she was given a work permit in Colombia and had started working as well.
She was only 14 years old in trouble and scared and what a 14 y/o wants doesn't really matter. There is no way in hell that anyone is going to believe that a 14 y/o black child is 21 y/o. Seems as though they didn't care. This child just probably did what she was told and followed orders. Her family is lucky that she's even still alive.

plantman
Jan 7th, 2012, 02:42 AM
She was only 14 years old in trouble and scared and what a 14 y/o wants doesn't really matter. There is no way in hell that anyone is going to believe that a 14 y/o black child is 21 y/o. Seems as though they didn't care. This child just probably did what she was told and followed orders. Her family is lucky that she's even still alive.

Are you refering to the undated photo accompanying the article, or 14 yr. old black girls in general?

Moveyourfeet
Jan 7th, 2012, 03:36 AM

My feeling is that she wanted to get away from her family. Logic suggests her actions (and inaction) helped in her deportation.
Just to be clear, she is not the one to blame here though. I don't care what a 14 yr old says, they should have known better.

mykarma
Jan 7th, 2012, 03:55 AM
My feeling is that she wanted to get away from her family. Logic suggests her actions (and inaction) helped in her deportation.
Just to be clear, she is not the one to blame here though. I don't care what a 14 yr old says, they should have known better.
Yeah they said that after her grandfather died and her parents divorced she ran away which is most likely why she was stealing. In addition the child is in a strange country not able to speak the language and ends up pregnant.:sad:

miffedmax
Jan 7th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Needless to say, there's been a huge stink over this in Dallas. It's pretty scary that such a bad job was done of following up on this by the authorities.

plantman
Jan 7th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Jakadrien Turner: Deported Texas Teen Returns to U.S.

When she was arrested on April 2, 2011, for misdemeanor theft, she told Houston police her name was Tika Lanay Cortez, a Colombian woman born in 1990.

Unable to determine her true identity or immigration status, officials at Houston's Harris County Jail handed the teen over the federal immigration officials.

They said they found nothing to indicate that Jakadrien wasn't a Colombian woman, and that the teen claimed to be Cortez throughout the criminal proceedings in Houston and federal deportation process.

An immigration judged remanded Jakadrien to Colombia, where officials provided her with the necessary travel document and declared her a citizen.

According to the Colombian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the girl was enrolled in the country's "Welcome Home" program after she arrived there.

She was given shelter, psychological assistance and a job at a call center, a statement from the agency said. Her lawyer said she she'd been placed under detention

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jakadrien-turner-texas-runaway-returns-deportation-colombia/story?id=15311341

It appears as though the Columbian officials gave her exceptional care while she was on vacation there. Her deportation was a mistake, but she played a major roll in her own deportation by lying to authorities trying to help her. My first question to her would be....Why did you give the name Tika Lanay Cortez?

The threats of lawsuits have already surfaced and in doing so, you can rest assured that more information will surface on this story in the coming weeks. Welcome home Jakadrien.

Stay Tuned!

Helen Lawson
Jan 7th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Are you refering to the undated photo accompanying the article, or 14 yr. old black girls in general?

I wouldn't hold you breath getting an answer on that one! As the saying goes, if it was a white girl, they'd be posting that the story was getting too much publicity.

Even if she was troubled and wanted to leave the country, she's well underaged, they should have made sure it was the right person before they deported her. I don't know how they mix up a black teen who can't speak Spanish with some woman from Colombia.

Helen Lawson
Jan 7th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Yeah they said that after her grandfather died and her parents divorced she ran away which is most likely why she was stealing. In addition the child is in a strange country not able to speak the language and ends up pregnant.:sad:

How do you make that leap?

Helen Lawson
Jan 7th, 2012, 09:04 PM
She got deported to South Carolina? :unsure:

No, I think as someone else posted, they deported her to the Ivy League university in New York and she got 4 credits for American History, Latin Literature, an extra credit for going above and beyond the call of duty in her biology lab.

LeRoy.
Jan 8th, 2012, 12:09 AM
The girl sounds like such a winner and the family too. :tape:

The girl is grinning ear-to-ear with pride on TV believing she is some sort of celebrity because the camera's are following her. :oh: She looks way older than even 21 to me tbh. And now the family wants someone else to pay for the mistakes of their daughter. Maybe if you'll were better parents this wouldn't have happened in the first place ? :help:

mykarma
Jan 8th, 2012, 01:26 AM

The girl is grinning ear-to-ear with pride on TV believing she is some sort of celebrity because the camera's are following her. :oh: She looks way older than even 21 to me tbh. And now the family wants someone else to pay for the mistakes of their daughter. Maybe if you'll were better parents this wouldn't have happened in the first place ? :help:
:facepalm:

Helen Lawson
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:55 AM

Her family situation seemed very sketchy, she should not have been deported, but I don't think she and her family should play the blame game and try to get rich either It sounds like Colombia treated her better than the US did!

ExXotikal
Jan 8th, 2012, 12:00 PM
And then you complain when we Europeans call out the American Media for their ignorance.

It's COLOMBIA. Columbia is the university (I'd like to study to)!