PDA

View Full Version : oz open-your top 5 picks

cooolconchita
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:01 PM
i did a thread like this last year, you choose 4 players from the top 20 who you think can win the event, and a floater from outside the top 20 , who you think will reach 4th round or better. we then restart the thread in february to laugh at everyone's silly suggestions!!;)

mine are...

1, Jennifer Capriati - 2 time defending champion, and she WANTS it soooo badly.

2, Serena Williams - wants a self proclaimed 'serena slam', you would be mad to bet against her, but recent questions about her ability to come back to full strength after time away from the tour.

3, Kim Clijsters - proven herself in just 7 days, can beat anyone on her day, but sometimes it just ISNT her day.

4, Venus Williams - surprisingly disappointing previous attempts in melbourne, confidence is it's lowest since 99, but you still feel she could easily do it.

and the floater is...

5, - Conchita Martinez - yes, i know she's my fave, BUT, she did have a great end to the year, will be seeded in oz (99%sure of this), is a former finalist, reached semis in 2000, and rebound ace suits her game really well - can definitely make 4th round and beyond.

Well, you've laughed at me, now lets hear your wild and crazy picks for the 2003 australian open. :)

Elske
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:06 PM
1. Lindsay Davenport
2. Kim Clijsters
3. Serena Williams
4. Amélie Mauresmo
5. Eleni Daniilidou

Volcana
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Serena, Venus, Kim, Monica

Elena Bovina

lmoon1
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Conchita? Well you ARE biased.

1. Serena- she is Serena and that is that.
2. Jennifer- Queen of the Rebound Ace
3. Monica- Goddess of Oz, so long as she doesn't bump into a certain Swiss Miss:o ! SHe wants it sooooooo badly, and her desire level next year will be through the roof.
4. Kim- So long as she is healthy, she can win anywhere.
5. Daniela- I think she will work her arse off over the off season, come back with harder, more consistent groundies, and whoop some serious butt.

People who I am surprised to say I don't think will win:
1. Venus- has had a seriously disappointing year, can't beat her sister for her life (and that is a fact not an opinion), has had injury problems, and I think now has alot of self doubt, for the first time in her entire career.

2. Lindsay- she has replaced Justine (who replaced Amelie) as the biggest choker on tour. Honestly she should have at least three titles this year, should have pushed Venus AND Serena to three sets, should have beaten Monica in LA, etc. etc. etc. Give her a lead and she doesn't know WHAT to do. Grand Slams are not won that way. (As Martina prooved to us last year)

cooolconchita
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:13 PM
lmoon - sorry, but you can't have daniela, as the 5th player has to be outside the top 20, and she has to make the 4th round or better.

bis2806
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:14 PM
1. Lindsay Davenport
2. Serena Williams
3. Kim Clijsters
4. Amelie Mauresmo

5. Elena Bovina

King Aaron
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:33 PM
1. Martina Hingis, enough said
2. Serena Williams, she's the world no. 1
3. Kim Clijsters, The will to win
4. Lindsay Davenport, off-season will be a very busy and hard one for her I'm sure + former champion
5. Jennifer Capriati, defending champion

joaco
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:50 PM
1. Lindsay Davenport- She wants it soo bad, three years without a Slam, the last one won was this one. Not to fast, not to slow for this girl... besides she will be training REALLY HARD in the offseason, she wants to achieve something in the 2003 and it'll sure be winning a Slam.
2. Serena Williams- She wants to complete the whole GS thing, so it's a challenge for her, but her serve must be working fine.
3. Martina Hingis- no need to explain
4. Venus Williams- Venus will be not so confident, but will have improved lots of areas in her game.
5. Kim Clijsters- For what she's shown this previous week she can beat anyone. Don't know if she'll keep that form until the AO, but she has shown a lot of potential.

Joaco

Martian KC
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:22 PM
1.Monica Seles
2.Jen Capriati
3.Kim Clijsters
4.Justine Henin
5.Svetlana Kuznetsova

angele87
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:25 PM
1. Serena Williams
2. Kim Clijsters
3. Venus Williams
4. Jennifer Capriati
5. Elena Bovina

niratti
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:31 PM
1. Lindsay
2. Serena
3. Mauresmo
4. Kim
5. Tammy (4th round)

malaye
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:38 PM
1. Serena
2. Kim
3. Jennifer
4. Justine

5. Vera

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Serena
Jennifer
Kim
Venus
Anna K :p

Oasiatic
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:13 PM
(1) Serena, simply because she's my fav
(2) Venus
(3) Lindsay
(4) Monica
(5) Eleni Daniliidou

Jarrett
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:03 PM
1. Monica Seles
2. Serena Williams
3. Jennifer Capriati
4. Kim Clijsters

Messenger
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by cooolconchita
i did a thread like this last year, you choose 4 players from the top 20 who you think can win the event, and a floater from outside the top 20 , who you think will reach 4th round or better. we then restart the thread in february to laugh at everyone's silly suggestions!!;)

mine are...

1, Jennifer Capriati - 2 time defending champion, and she WANTS it soooo badly.

2, Serena Williams - wants a self proclaimed 'serena slam', you would be mad to bet against her, but recent questions about her ability to come back to full strength after time away from the tour.

3, Kim Clijsters - proven herself in just 7 days, can beat anyone on her day, but sometimes it just ISNT her day.

4, Venus Williams - surprisingly disappointing previous attempts in melbourne, confidence is it's lowest since 99, but you still feel she could easily do it.

and the floater is...

5, - Conchita Martinez - yes, i know she's my fave, BUT, she did have a great end to the year, will be seeded in oz (99%sure of this), is a former finalist, reached semis in 2000, and rebound ace suits her game really well - can definitely make 4th round and beyond.

Well, you've laughed at me, now lets hear your wild and crazy picks for the 2003 australian open. :)

GS QFs for Martinez are certainly not laughable. Everything that you have said sounds perfectly reasonable, I think that Serena has a better chance than Jennifer.

Gowza
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:42 PM
serena
venus
capriati
clijsters
mauresmo

floaters: there are too many. pierce for experience or sharapova to be the riser of 2003

Lindsayfan
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:18 PM
1) Lindsay
2) Jennifer
3) Martina (if she plays)
4) Amelie
5) Monica

motta
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Serena
Venus
Mauresmo
Clijsters

floater

Mary Pierce for sure

Venus Forever
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:09 PM
1- Serena
2- Venus
3- Jennifer
4- Clijsters
5- Mauresmo

Jericho
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:27 PM
if there are no injuries
Venus
Serena
Monica
Kim
Jennifer

hingis-seles
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:03 PM
1.Monica Seles
2.Martina Hingis
3.Serena Williams
4.Kim Clijsters

Floater: Mary Pierce

Meesh
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:06 PM
1 - Amelie
2 - Serena
3 - Lindsay
4 - Kim C.
5 - Venus

england_rules
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:15 PM
My top 5 favorites fo the title:

1. Hingis (If she plays)
2. S. Williams
3. Clijsters
4. V. Williams
5. Capriati

Top 5 who won't win but could qualify and win some matches:

1. Baltacha
2. Keothavong
3. Sharapova
4. O'donoghue
5. Cohen Aloro

Gowza
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:22 PM
qualifiers who could pose a threat:

sharapova
cohen aloro
baltacha
lucic
lee-waters
lina k
bielik (if she gets into qualifying)
harkleroad
rodionova
vakulanko
strycova

vs1
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Serena, Venus, Amelie, Kim...

Floater: Bovina (think 2003 can definitely be her year!)

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:31 PM
LOL @ how most of you are forgetting the Queen V...Just wait and see...:o

Lisbeth
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Amelie because she's done well in Australia before and she's due
Jennifer because she's done so well here in recent years and you can't count her out
Kim because she's on a roll (and just because :) )
Serena because she really wants that slam.

Also Venus and Martina IF they manage to play uninjured. Venus because she's always a chance but hasn't really had a good January yet, and Martina because she always has a great January.

Floater: Christina Wheeler (not even sure I got that right, but I mean the Aussie who made about Round 3 as a wild card last year!)

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:48 PM
1) Serena
2) Monica :)
3) Venus
4) Lindsay
5) Kim
6) Jennifer
7) Jelena :)
8) Anna K :)

Jordan.
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:56 PM
1. Martina
2. Amelie
3. Serena
4. Vera :D
5. Kim

Mister B
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:04 AM
1)Martina
2)Serena
3)Kim
4)Lindsay
5)Venus

bello
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:10 AM
I think the rankings tell a fairly accurate story as to Aus open chances..

1.Serena
2.Venus
3.Jenn
4.Kim
5.Monica/Lindsay

cooolconchita
Nov 14th, 2002, 10:42 AM
well, you guys certainly give Elena Bovina a great chance, however, i think the slowness of rebound ace may hurt her - but she's a great talent for sure! :)
and, you just KNOW that Venus is going to win now, since so few of us have given her a real chance! lol :)

wongqks
Nov 14th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Serena: The favourite, anyone bet against her will be in at a very
long odd

Venus: Even if her retirement against Kim, her disaster against Maggie, doesn't hinder the fact that she is still the no. 2 player in the world and the one who no one has beaten consistently apart from sis

Jennifer: Jennifer two peat winner, a slightly long shot for title now, but remember 2002 Aus when everyone predict her to go in QF?

Kim: Beat Serena, had beaten Venus in Hamburg earlier in the year, capable of beating anyone, but will she breakthrough? My instinct is that maybe she need another year

Monica: Semtimental favourite, always performed in Aus Open, no one will want her to be on their QF matchup for sure, rebound ace is slighlt slower than american harcourt, she can go to her shot easier, but still a long shot.

SM
Nov 14th, 2002, 11:59 AM
1) Jennifer
2) Serena
3) Monica
4) Venus
5) Kim

mauresmofan
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:13 PM
1.Serena - has to be the number one on everyones list - if she's not you are in denial

2. Amélie - she has now got some confidence and if her knee and rest of the body holds up she'll get more confident and dangerous round by round + she's my favourite.

3. Venus - it depends how hungry for the title she is - there's room for improvement with that second serve and if she doesn't do something about that vunerability she'll be punished for it sooner rather than later.

4. Capriati - she's not 2 time defending champion for nothing but her game has fallen apart since winning the title last year.

5. Mary pierce - she won the title a long time ago but has the game and the weapons to go far and upset some people along the way. If her body holds up she should have a good run but it all depends on the draw she gets - will not be seeded.

go hingis
Nov 15th, 2002, 12:36 AM
1. Martina Hingis
2. Monica Seles
3. Serena Williams
4. Kim Clijsters
5. Eleni Daniilidou

Nov 15th, 2002, 12:56 AM
1. Kim - she was injured last year and still made it to the semis. Now she has recovered and is fitter and stronger than last year...and it's Australia. Everyone loves her here
2. Serena - would have won last year if she didn't have to pull out injured. A bit tired at the moment, but she has time to recover
3. Monica - I don't think she will win, but she may cause a few upsets along the way
4. Amelie - got to the final a few years ago and desperately wants a slam
5. Hingis - if she can get her form back
6. Lindsay - not fast enough around the court to win, but will cause some damage. I can't see her going out before the Quarter Finals
7. Venus- hasn't been in great form and is currently injured. I expect that her injury will affect her preparation, but still expect her to do well. Most players run and hide just at the thought of the name "Venus Williams"
8. Justine - didn't play well at the Championships, but will now have a break to recover.
9. Hantuchova - not ready to win a slam, but expect her in the Quarter Finals, maybe semis if a few of the higher seeds go out early and she is having a good week
10. Jennifer - I can't see her winning again, but who knows what she will do along the way with the motivation of being defending champion?

DutchieGirl
Nov 15th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Number1Kim

Amelie because she's done well in Australia before and she's due
Jennifer because she's done so well here in recent years and you can't count her out
Kim because she's on a roll (and just because :) )
Serena because she really wants that slam.

Also Venus and Martina IF they manage to play uninjured. Venus because she's always a chance but hasn't really had a good January yet, and Martina because she always has a great January.

Floater: Christina Wheeler (not even sure I got that right, but I mean the Aussie who made about Round 3 as a wild card last year!)

Wasn't that Cindy Watson? I know she beat Manu...

Nov 15th, 2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by inkyfan

Wasn't that Cindy Watson? I know she beat Manu...

It was Cindy Watson. She was playing well by her standards, but Kim was having a bad day and Cindy was still no match for her...and I thought Cindy was a qualifier, not a WC. This means Cindy won 5 straight matches

AleOrtu
Nov 15th, 2002, 06:04 AM
1 Eleni Daniilidou
2 Amelie Mauresmo
3 Martina Hingis
4 Jenifer Capriati

outside:
Clarisa Fernandez

Harju.
Nov 15th, 2002, 06:22 AM
1. Serena
2. Hingis
3. Jen
4. Amelie
5.Venus
6. Lindsay

Sam L
Nov 15th, 2002, 06:27 AM
My picks and in that order:

1. Venus Williams
2. Serena Williams
3. Daniela Hantuchova
4. Kim Clijsters
5. Lindsay Davenport

maya
Nov 15th, 2002, 06:58 AM
1. Serena - obvious choice; about 50% chance

2. Kim - second most likely to beat all the players she neads, to win 20 % chance

3. Venus - can beat everybody, but not her sister - 15%

4. Jennifer - why not, anything can happen, she has done it before 10%

5. Amelie - only if she's not injured and her nerves hold up 5%

Legends
Nov 15th, 2002, 02:46 PM
I like the fact that most people are rating Venus second to Serena, if at all.

This is the same Venus who this year while not playing well has managed to squeak past the opposition- of course not past someone with Serena’s capability and a stubborn/inspired Kim or Maggie – but considering she has not put in the necessary work, I don’t believe even Serena can stop her if and when she decides she is ready physically and mentally to step up.

Why has she not played well ?
Other distractions – that meant she has not minded losing so much – case in point her Amelie Island match, where she only made a strategy change in the middle of losing the second set (and match) because she “wanted to make the score more respectable”.

So she scraps past in three sets where she wants to make the score more respectable- what happens when she gets her hunger to win back?

This year while winning 7 titles and achieving finalist position in 3 slams she has also taken exams to certify herself as an interior decorator, chiselled down her college degree deficit to 25 credits, started up a major business venture, and this is just what we know about.
What more can i say?

Sorry guys Serena has got the results to show but I am not yet convinced she is the better player-

Venus tops my list – (is she ready to get her crown back or is she still distracted- running a business takes a lot of energy/ needs to complete college)
Serena - as the number 1 ranked player, comes second, she is not going to like losing her WTA championship title, I expect her to be fired up in January.
Jennifer – defending champion, depending on whose side of the draw she is in – I fancy her chances against Serena better than Venus because Serena always struggles against her mentally.

Kim Clijsters – is she ready to go up another level? Maybe. She has to start beating a well-playing Jennifer and Amelie consistently though, and not get carried away about successes against the Williams sisters. After her last win aganst Venus in Hamburg?, she promptly lost early in her next tournament and blamed it on the after effects of having defeated Venus.

Amelie / Monica - not sure depends on which Amelie shows up, if the wrong Amelie then Monica takes fifth place for me.

mauresmofan
Nov 15th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Kim lost to Amélie at the U.S Open - so I don't know where you are getting consistantly from. Anyway their matches of late have been incredibly close so it just comes down to a point here and there. I believe their last 2 matches went to 7-5 in the third.

Maindraw7
Nov 15th, 2002, 03:24 PM
1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Kim
4. Jennifer
5. Daniela
Floater: Laura Granville

cooolconchita
Nov 17th, 2002, 02:56 PM
totally forgot about clarissa fernandez - she loves slow courts, and is very fit, so it should be interesting to see how well she fares!

Uxobi
Nov 17th, 2002, 03:36 PM
1. Venus
2. Kim
3. Serena
4. Jennifer
5. Monica
---------------------------
6. Lindsay
7. Chanda
8. Justine
9. Amelie
10. Martina H.

adss
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Jen
Lindsey
Serena
Venus
Daniela
Kim
Amelie

o0O0o
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:05 PM
LOL at the excuses made for Venus. As good as Venus was and as much as she raised the bar with power and speed, there is a new breed of power, speed, angles, and variety led by Clijsters, Henin, Hantuchova, and even her little sister. Of course, Venus' aura being gone...her chances don't look good!

1) Capriati (Two-time defending champ, hard worker in off-season)
2) Serena (Duh)
3) Clijsters (Duh)
4) Hingis (Could be #1 if healthy and raedy, six straight finals, BUT at current form more like #20, we'll see how she does).

5) Kournikova

callado
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:06 PM
1. Serena

2. Venus

3. Seles
4. Clijsters

5. Mauresmo

slydevil6142
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Well interesting theory 0ooo0 but for some reason i dont think Venu's Arura is gone at all. When ppl go out on court they are still afraid whats going to come off the racket of Venus williams... and has for your theory of the new breed of power players funny how none of them are still able to consistly beat the old brand named venus in matches... Ppl act as though Venus's year was so horrible what she lost 9 times and won 69 ( which is the most wins by any player on the wta this year) give me a break.. for Venus not to be considered a seriuose threat for the Austrilan open is laughable
1) Venus

2) Jenn

3)Serena

4)Kim

5) Martina -heck she hasnt been in the last 6 finals here for no reason

setpoint
Nov 18th, 2002, 12:15 AM
Monica Seles
Chanda Rubin
Serena Williams
Jennifer Capriati
Amelie Mauresmo
Lindsay Davenport

Jericho
Nov 18th, 2002, 12:44 AM
dont worry slydevil6142 just look at his #5 pick, that says it all...

slydevil6142
Nov 18th, 2002, 01:33 AM
and what is wrong with my #5 ?? im no martina fan but her record speaks for its self im sure she been training hard and if nto she wont make it too far but im banking on the fact that she is working hard to go downunder and do a good job

franny
Nov 18th, 2002, 01:45 AM
Here are my five:

1. Serena Williams, never has had a good australian open, but like, hello! thats what we said about her at the french open and she kicked some major ass, expect her to make semis at least, i'm 98% sure.

2. Venus Williams, she's hungry, she's jeolous, she's mad, and most of all, she's got what it takes to take down serena, expect her to make quarters for sure and beyound, 100% sure(that is if she is healthy)

3. Jennifer Capriati, she's not gonna win it, i'm 99% sure of that, but she will mkae it to the semifinals or the finals, losing to either a williams, a davenport, a seles, or a clijster, most likely a williams.

4. Lindsay Davenport, can she stand the heat? we know what hapened last year to hingis and capriati, if the heat becomes a factor, davey doesn't have a chance.

5. Monica Seles, same as davenport, she'll make 4th round or quartersl, but can she stand the heat?

Floater: Martina Hingis, its wierd putting her there, but things just isn't the same as before. What can we expect out of her? How hard has she been working? The past 3-4 years we've seen the same pattern, martina has great work ethics in the off-season, works tail off, comes back, hits bad harder, earlier, moves faster, with improve serve. However, her comeback this year in the middle of the year is not a good sign, i think her work ethnics are pretty mcuh gone, she didn't do crap on her time off during the middle of the year, in fact, hse got WORST! if martina's work ethnics is stilll there, she'll make finals or win it, if its totally gone, expect ms. chucky to bow out in 4th or quarterfinals or not show up at al and retire, lets hope the first martina shows up.

Jericho
Nov 18th, 2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by slydevil6142
and what is wrong with my #5 ?? im no martina fan but her record speaks for its self im sure she been training hard and if nto she wont make it too far but im banking on the fact that she is working hard to go downunder and do a good job

i was actually refering to o0O0o's fifth pick, not yours...and how you shouldnt listen to him trash talk venus when he picks kournikova as his 5th choice...

slydevil6142
Nov 18th, 2002, 02:56 AM
oh ok i see now i huess i was just so bewildered that i didnt really even read what you wrote and veyr good point Oliver

Dokicfan17
Nov 18th, 2002, 03:14 AM
1. Hingis
2. Clijsters
3. Mauresmo
4. Williams, V
5. Capriati

graf630
Nov 18th, 2002, 03:15 AM
1.Serena Williams
2.Kim Clijsters
3.Venus Williams
4.Amelie Mauresmo

5.Elena Bovina

o0O0o
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:02 AM
If only oliver read that the #5 pick is supposed to be a floater to get far and not to win...

...moron.

Jericho
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by o0O0o
If only oliver read that the #5 pick is supposed to be a floater to get far and not to win...

...moron.

and if only o0O0o's mom stopped smoking while she was pregnant he might've actually turned out normal...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gorecki
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:37 AM
[in no particular order]
Kim
Serena
Jennifer
Martina
Daniela

SerialKiller#69
Nov 19th, 2002, 11:07 AM

...moron.

__________________________________________________ __HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's what I was thinking. nice one O.

fleemke³
Nov 19th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Serena (all 4!)
Jenifer
Venus
Kim
Justine

Kirt12255
Nov 21st, 2002, 05:00 AM
1. Capriati
2. Serena
3. Mauresmo
4. Clijisters
FLOATER
Schiavone...just to be different. Wiped some great players in the Hopman Cup last year...likes the surface (and if the top 10 are injured or fall in upsets)

cooolconchita
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:33 PM
:eek: we know nothing at all! lol
surprisingly, noone chose denisa chladkova! ;)

spartanfan
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Good call on Lindsay being the new choker on tour. With Justine rolling around on the court cramping up, Big Lindsay still couldn't put Justine away.