PDA

View Full Version : WTA Bonus Pool Money!

laj
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:12 PM
This is the top 10 list of the WTA 2002 Gold Exempt players:

1. Venus
2. Hingis
3. Capriati
4. Davenport
5. Serena
6. Seles
7. Clijsters
8. Henin
9. Kournikova
10.Mauresmo.

This is how the 2002 Bonus Pool Money was shared among the top players:

1. Capriati...............$589,410.00
2. Hingis.................$405,710.00
3. Venus..................$333,910.00
4. Serena.................$277,842.00
5. Clijsters..............$150,574.00
6. Davenport..............$148,333.00
7. Seles..................$117,894.00
8. Henin..................$ 94,024.00
9. Kournikova.............$ 89,337.00
10.Mauresmo...............$ 78,792.00.

This is very troubling! There is something definitely wrong with the folks who run the WTA. Why Martina Hingis and Jennifer Capriati got more pool money than both of the Williams sisters, especially Venus(the #1 Gold Exempt player for 2002)? Who sold out 3 of the 4 Grand Slams finals this year? What the hell has Hingis done this year for that kind of pool money she got? What the hell did Capriati done this year to get that kind of pool money she got?

This calls for a protest to the WTA, in IMHO. For those of you who are likely to voice your protest to the WTA, here is the contact information:

Telephone: 1-727-895-5000
Fax: 1-727-894-1982
133 First Street N.E.
St. Petersburg, Florida
33701 USA

Thank God that the actual tournament prize money disbursements are not based on the Share Croppers principles that was obviously employed for Bonus Pool money.

Infiniti2001
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Now, now, let's not :sad: for Venus and her lil sis... Did you see this year's earnings?? They practically made out with the loot. Venus is probably out plotting her next business adventure while Miss Thang is in an acting class somewhere<evil grin> :p , so I doubt they're at home pouting about the pool bonus :)

BK4ever
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:15 PM
there has to be some logic behind it, I'm sure eggy knows what it is. I have an understanding, but not well enuf to explain it here

BK4ever
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:23 PM
i meant to add that it has something to do with committment and participation versus results...i think

but it seems weird that vee would be in front of rena, when rena played higher value tournies than vee this year

King Aaron
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Why is Jelena not in the top ten of the gold exempt?

mn73
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:02 PM
You get a set amount of money due to your ranking at a specified time. Money is then subtracted for events you commit do but don't play, not fulfilling press commitments maybe, something like that.

So certainly Venus and Serena lost a bucketload by not playing the required seventeen events.

Jen played seventeen events, played two she didn't play last year (I think that is one of the rules). Guess that is why she came out better off. Makes up for last year when she got ten pounds or something pathetic even after two Slams because she had been ranked 14 when the bonus pool was allocated!!!

Helen Lawson
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:05 PM
I think this bonus pool money is based on a formula from the end of last year based on rankings and commitments AS OF THEN. It is set then and does not change. For instance, Jenn got screwed last year at bonus pool time because at the end of 2000, she was not high ranked or anything extra special so despite a brief stint at No. 1, the woman of the year, the two slams, her bonus money was quite modest and not near the top of the list. Martina was still high ranked last year at this time even after the injury. Serena had not had a great year and was at least in January hovering in the bottom half of the Top 10. Venus was near the top but not No. 1 or 2. Anyway, I think these splits are predetermined a year in advance, I read this somewhere. Daniela could win the Grand Slam next year and Serena would get more bonus money because the splits and all are done now based on today's rankings.

anastasjoy
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:49 PM
This has me scratching my head- especially Hingis being that high. She played 12 tournaments this year- four fewer than Venus. Why wasn't money subtracted from her pool also for not playing the required number of events? Venus was only one short. While I think it's true that the exempt list is determined at the beginning of the year, it seems illogical that the SPLIT is determined then, because it's based on participation in tournaments and also in WTA promotional activities, I believe. How could you guess a year in advance who is going to participate in what? Tournament commitments aren't made a year in advance, usually only a few months. I'm sure there's an explanation but I don't think it's that the amounts were decided a year ago, particularly if they intend this money to be motivation. Where's the motivation if it's all predetermined before you do anything for the year?

Helen Lawson
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:16 PM
I think meeting your commitments and all affects the money you get, but I think the starting point or base split or whatever you want to call it is pre-determined prior to the year starting. It is not all predetermined, but certain starting points or splits are. I guess the motivation is, it is still "free" money and if you do well, you do better the next year. I know someone knows all the rules, people were raging last year because Jenn got very little and it was all explained.

Steveg
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:14 PM
4. Gold Exempt Players Failure to Meet the Signing Deadline.
If a player who qualifies for Gold Exempt Status does not commit to the required number and Tier Levels of Tournaments by the end of the 2001 US Open (or within 10 days of notification), or does not return her final commitment schedule by the November 14, 2001 or does not confirm her three (3) other commitment Tournaments at the times outlined in section 3.a.2, she will automatically be subject to the following penalties:

a. She forfeits all rights to any Bonus Pool Money.
b. She must enter all Tour Tournaments by the official entry deadline (6-9 weeks prior).
c. She may not receive a Wild Card into any Tour Tournament.
d. She will be subject to withdrawal fines based on her Gold Exempt status and her nominated position on the Gold Exempt
list. If she enters a Tournament and withdraws after the entry deadline her fine will be as follows with no medical excuses allowed (the fine is reduced by 50% if the Tournament has received player commitment):
Listing Tier I Tier II Tier III
Gold Exempt 1-3 $50,000 $30,000 $10,000
Gold Exempt 4 $30,000 $20,000 $10,000
Gold Exempt 5-6 $20,000 $15,000 $10,000
Gold Exempt 7-10 $10,000 $10,000 $10,000
Gold Exempt 11-13 $ 5,000 $ 5,000 $ 5,000
Gold Exempt 14-20 - - $ 5,000
5. Gold Exempt Minimum Commitment Signing
Requirements
Gold Exempt players must play 13 specific Tour Tournaments, exclusive of the Grand Slams and the Sanex Championships, in order to fulfill Minimum Commitment requirement rules as outlined below. Exceptions will be made by the Tour if necessary to fulfill Contractual Player Commitment to Tournaments.
Gold Exempt Players 1-6 : 13 Tier I or II Tournaments
Gold Exempt Players 7-10 : 12 Tier I or II Tournaments and 1
Tier III Tournament
Gold Exempt Players 11-13 : 10 Tier I or II Tournaments and 3
Tier III Tournaments
Gold Exempt Players 14-20 : 3 Tier III Tournaments
6. Gold Exempt Player Privileges
c. Bonus Pool
Gold Exempt players are eligible to earn monies from the Tour’s Bonus Pool provided that all signing deadlines are met. Gold Exempt players only receive bonus pool monies for commitment Tournaments played or for extra Tournaments played in which they were needed to fulfill contractual player commitment.
d. No Withdrawal Fines
Except as otherwise set forth herein, Gold Exempt players will not be subject to withdrawal fines for withdrawing from any Tour Tournament. If withdrawing, a properly filled out medical withdrawal or change of commitment form with the reason listed (which may be released to the media) is required.

This is basically what I found of interest regarding pool money. So basically, except if there were some fines for failure to meet the signing deadlines, it all depends on the number of commitment tournaments played.

Steveg
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Bonus Pool Money Distribution – Player Commitment Levels

Example : Tier Level :Tier I (9)

Player Commitment Level - Player Commitment - Bonus Pool Monies Available
1 - 2 of 4 - $145,000
2 - 1 of 6 - $ 20,000
3 - 2 of 10 - $ 20,000
4 - 1 of 13 - $ 5,000

Total Monies Needed: $190,000 x 9 $1,710,000

Steveg
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:41 PM
For those interested, I remind that you can download the 2002 WTA rules book here :) :

2002 WTA Rules Book (http://www.sanexwta.com/assets/story_pdf/2002_wta_rules.pdf)

fammmmedspin
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Truly bizarre. Rules is rules - but some rules are sillier than others. Jencap got paid for last year. Jelena supports nearly every tournament there is and gets zilch. Martina gets more than Serena for being injured for much of the year. Lindsay gets more than Monica for recovering from her operation. Anna gets more than Amelie for being Anna.

auntie janie
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Yes, I don't understand why Amelie, who had a great year, fares so poorly in bonus money ?

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:48 PM
well cleared up.

anyway playing and doing well in SLAMS has nothing to do with bonus pool monies. Slams are run by the ITF so missing them doesn't matter and you won't get penalised by the WTA.
you will only punish yourself.