PDA

View Full Version : To Arantxa: from Steffi and Martina

rhz
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:40 AM
taken from the SanexWTA website....

'Thinking of Arantxa, so many incredible matches come my mind. She has given so much to tennis - her competitiveness on the court and her willpower, but always with that great smile. She has made history and I wish her all the best.'

STEFFI GRAF - former world No.1 and 22-time Grand Slam singles champion

'Arantxa has been a great player for such a long time. I have played her many times in my career, and the first time I played against her I was only 16 (1996 Hilton Head, won by Sánchez-Vicario in three sets). I wish her all the best in her new life outside tennis.'

MARTINA HINGIS - five-time Grand Slam champion and youngest-ever world No.1

schris
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:10 AM
I think Steffi and Arantxa are friend

niratti
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:52 PM
lovely picture :)

Julian
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Nice words from former #1's, I can imagine the history Arantxa and Steffi had, and surprised at the nice words Martina said, but she had one thing wrong, she was 15 when she 1st played Arantxa, not 16. ;)

Seles_Beckham
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:10 PM
And what about Monika, you forgot her.

'I have played many great matches against Arantxa throughout my career. I have very fond memories of those and I will miss her. It was a thrill to be at the top of the game with her as one of my greatest rivals, but also as a good friend. I wish her good luck in everything she chooses to do.'
MONICA SELES - former world No.1 and nine-time Grand Slam singles champion

raquel
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:17 PM
That's a really nice quote from Monica. i know she and Arantxa were good friends.

Hingiswinsthis
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:17 PM
very nice, everyone:) French Opens will not be the same without the Barcelona Bumblebee causing upsets:( GOOD LUCK ARANTXA:)!

PamShriverRockz
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Nice quotes. They had all had some great matches :) I miss those days!

Iconoclast
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Here's another ex-great voicing her opinion on the retirement.

LOUISE BARRYMAN - former bartender at Kenny's Pub in S****horpe, England:

[Edited to remove obvious signs of insanity. /Icon]

Lola
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by rhz
taken from the SanexWTA website....

'Thinking of Arantxa, so many incredible matches come my mind. She has given so much to tennis - her competitiveness on the court and her willpower, but always with that great smile. She has made history and I wish her all the best.'

STEFFI GRAF - former world No.1 and 22-time Grand Slam singles champion

so do I! all the best, arantxa!