PDA

View Full Version : "Hate To Say I Told You So"...Thoughts/Reflections of Last Night's Match

o0O0o
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:29 AM
Kim Clijsters can add this one to a list of achievements. The only player to beat both Williams sisters this year (and believe she would of crushed a healthy Venus considering their respective levels of play). She finally beat Serena, became the only player this year to do so in straight sets, and became one of four EVER to beat them at the same tournament. What else has she done this fall, after the US Open? She's beaten...

Anastasia Myskina
Lindsay Davenport
Venus Williams
Serena Williams
Justine Henin
Daniela Hantuchova
Chanda Rubin
Amelie Mauresmo
Jelena Dokic

...in a matter of a couple of months. The only top players she hasn't beaten this fall, well, she hasn't had a chance to.

How did she win? She exposed Serena's flaws. Serena didn't play her best, but guess what, Kim played her worst match of the last couple weeks too. What she did was get virtually all of Serena's big bombs back, deep, and didn't let Serena take advantage of her second serve. This meant that all of the rallies were started in a neutral position, and since Serena's ground game is relatively weak for such a dominant player, Kim walked off the court in two mildly challenging sets. Serena relies on big serves, returns, and forehands to set up easy winners. Boom, bang, done. Kim hit to her backhand, returned serve like a madwoman, and when the point started, used hard heavy topsin shots to run Serena around. So enough with the "Serena playing bad" nonsense. Kim just exploited her weaknesses. They are called weaknesses for a reason.

Oh, and...

Hate to say I told you so! :p

Serendy Willick
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:33 AM
I think Serena will kick the shyt outta Kim (I like Kim but these Williams haters thread are ridculous) the next time they meet.

tennischick
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:37 AM
even if she would have managed to beat a healthy Venus, Kim would have had nothing left when facing Serena. surely you can admit that???

Rubylips
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Yes .like wait to the beginnig of the year.

"Topaz"
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Forgive 5 O's for he's following his instinct. He can't help it. Let's pray for him.

Playa
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:47 AM
ok , i'll pray tonight for ho.

PhoenixStorm
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:21 AM
GO KIM it was amazing how Jen tired out serena so Kimmie girl could get the advantage in the final just like how Venus tired out martina for Serena in the USOpen final of 99 of course Kimmie had it even easier because she didnt even have to play a semifinal!

Nevertheless it takes a strong will to close out a match no matter how awful the other player is playing. Kim stayed strong and played one of her best matches. I swear Kimmie is an honorary Willliams sister along with Daniela Lil Vee Hantuchova We now have Kim Lil Rena Clijesters. They are both two sides of the williams coin and all four will become great rivals!

GO KIM WILLIAMS

GO SERENA WILLIAMS

GO DANIELA WILLIAMS

GO VENUS WILLIAMS

persond
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:30 AM
:D Mr. Zeroes,

You ought be careful, that obsession of yours could really prove extremely detrimental to your health!!!:D :D

It's okay, we all understand you're captivated by the Williamses!!!:p :p :p :p

Williams Rulez
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:14 AM
But of course he is not obsessed with them. The obsession is with Kim, oh and with every player that beats Venus or Serena.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Williams fans, are you bitter or something?! Why the harshness?!

tennisIlove09
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Kim played a very good match. But I disagree with the comment that Kim would have crushed Venus. No one knows HOW that match would have played out. Venus may have won; Kim may have won. All we know is that Kim won because Venus was injured. I don't consider that a victory. I think it's a shame.

And I also think that it's a shame that Serena didn't play 100%. I'm not sure why she didn't, but I haven't seen Serena play that poorly in a long time. Probally Wimbledon 2001.

Nov 13th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by tennischick
even if she would have managed to beat a healthy Venus, Kim would have had nothing left when facing Serena. surely you can admit that???
...that's not what the media have been saying. According to them, Kim is the only WTA player capable of playing best of 5 matches.Personally I would argue that quite a few more could do this, but the fact remains that Kim is the fittest player on the tour...and why was Serena tired? She had the whole month off in October!

irma
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:29 AM
one word Filderstadt!

tennischick
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:43 PM
another word -- she faced Jen in the semi-finals!! Serena has now discovered what Hingis and others have had to cope with for the past two years -- a long grueling semi-final match only to have to face it's equal in the finals. beating the Williams sisters back to back is an incredible task. well now it turns out that beating a powerful Jen and a persistent Kim back to back ain't no walk in the park either!

i do think that this was a great win for Kim, and also good for women's tennis -- a tough, close match in which the unexpected (for most) actually occurred. but you have to admit that Serena had nothing left in that second set. i honestly believe that if she had won the first set (which by some arguments she was cheated of), she would have taken the match.

finally, i haven't seen any comments on Kim's victory speech which i thought was really classy. i particularly liked the fact that she congradulated Serena on her year and on the #1 ranking. i also liked her sense of humor when she told the fans they didn't have to applaud her comments in "Dutch". at the end of the day it's all good.

PhoenixStorm
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Q. Kim, did you go in with a specific strategy to play Serena or were you going to play whoever it was the same way?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I was going to play my best game, trying to do that. Like I said before, just don't worry if she hits a few aces. Don't show any emotions. That's where they can read how you're feeling, and that's when they can push you a little bit extra. That's what I did and it worked, I think. Like I said before, I just tried to run as many balls back as I could. She made some few easy mistakes.

Q. Kim, could you tell she was a little tired, especially in the second set?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah. She wasn't moving as well as in the beginning of the set. I was getting a bit tired as well, so it was good she was getting a bit tired.

Q. Were you tired in the first set?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No. I started with a double fault. I don't know if that was because of nerves or anything. I wasn't nervous. I was a little bit more nervous before than all the other matches before the match. I felt pretty calm out there.
Q. How much do you think your legs had to do with winning today?
KIM CLIJSTERS: If I would had no legs, I wouldn't have won. I think it played a big role. Of course, you know, I think I'm very lucky to have my type of legs, especially to play a sport. Maybe not for modeling or something, but to play tennis and to run a lot of balls down, I think my legs are pretty good.
Q. How much do you think your attitude had to do with it? I mean, Serena even bought into the tired thing tonight when she came in. She said she felt like she was 98. All week long you've insisted, I feel fresh, not tired. How much do you think just the mental attitude maybe had to do with it?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I think if you keep telling yourself, I feel tired, I feel tired, of course, you're going to feel tired. That's with every person. I was resting a lot during my days off. Of course, I didn't play... I think I only,,, before coming into this match, I only played about two hours and 20 minutes. I think with Venus pulling out, I had an advantage over Serena, because she played a pretty tough match against Jennifer yesterday.

Here is the best part! I love you Kimmie Because youre not stupid like a few of your so called fans, oh I mean venus haters!

Q. How do you feel about beating both Williamses back to back?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I didn't really beat Venus. It feels amazing. I don't think I'm realizing at the moment what I've done. I'm sure once I get back home to Belgium, I'll play my exhibition in front of those 10,000 people, and I'm sure I'll start realizing what they have gone through and what I've done.

I guess Oooops I made a mistake would just call Kim a liar. LOL! Even kim herself knows she didnt beat venus!

barmaid
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:54 PM
I also applaud 5 o's assessment of the match...Congrats to Kim..I did get to see the first set amd Kim was just the "fitter" of the two...she unlike Serena, played up to the final tournament ..while Serena opted to do some TV appearances..late night talk shows etc., Serena has played only in 13 tournaments while Dokic for instance has played 29....so I wouldn't say playing 4 matches would over-tax any physically fit tennis player....so I think it was the lack of inactivity when she claimed to be "so tired"..ultimately did her in!!
I've got to go now and dab my eyes with a kleenex!!:sad:

barmaid:wavey:

leslie
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Why do you people keep saying that Kim beat both williams sisters back to back? Even Kim said she did not beat Venus. Venus retired hurt and you people stupid or what. I bet you would have love for that to happen BUT SHE DID NOT BEAT THE WILLIAMS SISTERS BACK TO BACK. In you-all dreams. Anyway congrats Kim. Of all the ladies on the WTA you are my next favorite after the sisters. I bet Serena would prefer losing to Kim than to nasty Jennifer.