PDA

View Full Version : What kind of surface is this?

Sammo
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:18 PM
It looks so weird and they can slide on it

y7OJgGOuogI

GrandMartha
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:20 PM
looks like carpet to me :shrug:

Sammo
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:22 PM
But as one of the guys said in the comments, it's got like... sand?

Meelis
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:24 PM
artificial grass

kaiafan
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:27 PM
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=15426317

Says here carpet,artificial grass.

sammy01
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:28 PM
articial grass otherwise known as 'carpet'. it is like astroturf infilled with sand. all year round playing surface very popular in the UK cus of the weather. you can slide on it depending on how much top dressing (sand) is applied.

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:30 PM
artificial grass

Yup, they have quite a few ITF indoor artificial grass tourneys in Japan :cool:

Serenus Christ
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:45 PM
These courts are everywhere in Australia

Jose.
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:14 AM
Artificial grass, like said.

It's quite hard to move on this courts :tape:

Sammo
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:14 AM
I now remember that I've actually played on this kind of courts, but paddle! :lol:

Sam L
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:20 AM
Artificial grass. It's like carpet but has sand on it. It's gross. It's itchy. :scared:

Dani12
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:21 AM

I find them quite easy to move on, but then again I grew up on them. You can slide into the ball like clay, and it can be easy to fall or slide over in spots where sands builds up or where sand has blown away, due to the two different surface textures in one movement.

Anyway the worst thing about it is that you get sand everywhere, in your shoes, socks, clothes :lol: I'm finding sands in my shoes weeks after playing on it. :fiery:

Yoncé
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:22 AM
Artificial grass and its one hell of a bitch to play on :o Especially when people put a whole fucking beach on top of it.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:24 AM
I find them quite easy to move on, but then again I grew up on them. You can slide into the ball like clay, and it can be easy to fall or slide over in spots where sands builds up or where sand has blown away, due to the two different surface textures in one movement.

Anyway the worst thing about it is that you get sand everywhere, in your shoes, socks, clothes :lol: I'm finding sands in my shoes weeks after playing on it. :fiery:

:happy:

I would like to play on this surface, but I doubt we have anything like it in the US :p I've always wanted to visit/vacation in Australia and Japan though :angel:

Viktymise
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:29 AM

It's horrible to move on - like wet grass - and the ball skids through like crazy on it. It's no wonder why it's nowhere to be seen on the WTA because it's a nightmare.

KvittyBabe would probably be unplayable on it though.

goat
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:33 AM
Synthetic, slow surface but faster than clay. It is popular is australia funnily enough. I think it is easy to move on, good for sliding.

JamieOwen3
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:38 AM
never played tennis on it but have played football/soccer on it at the local leisure centre. it's a bitch of a surface!!

Mattographer
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:50 AM
I like playing on this surface :happy:

Singleniacki
Jan 1st, 2012, 01:10 AM
The most disgusting surface :o
Australian abundance :sobbing:

Mikey.
Jan 1st, 2012, 01:15 AM
Hate it. :lol: The ball skids through so much and if you fall and slide on it you'll get FUUUUUUCKED. :sobbing:

Kooyong
Jan 1st, 2012, 01:38 AM
As others have said its artificial grass covered with sand.

Tends to be used for social tennis for it is slow and the bounce is not that high.

Its a common surface in Australia as is crushed brick

Kooyong
Jan 1st, 2012, 01:39 AM
Hate it. :lol: The ball skids through so much and if you fall and slide on it you'll get FUUUUUUCKED. :sobbing:

I found it too be slow bouncing

goat
Jan 1st, 2012, 01:46 AM
yeah the surface would probably be the second slowest after clay.
The bounce stays in the hitting zone and movement is on it is fine, less injury prone that hardcourts due to less grip allowing for people to slide, more grip than clay allowing for lateral movement. However I will stick to my clay and indoors thank you.

HowardH
Jan 1st, 2012, 04:06 AM
Astroturf or artificial grass as people have said. It's very common in NZ too, as well as Aus and apparently Japan. The speed varies quite a lot. On average it tends to be quick and rather skiddy. Especially if it gets a little wet. But some courts are slow. Some courts bounce very high. Some bounce low. Some bounce fast and high. Some bounce fast and low. You can get bad bounces on it too. And don't fall. It's like sandpaper. I've had a few scrapes from it. Especially when you get one part of the court (usually a line) which lacks sand and suddenly you can't slide. You have to watch out for that.

It isn't used in many big tournaments so there isn't a set standard version. Although it almost always looks green because the concept is that it's artificial grass.

Also, whether you can slide or not depends on the amount of sand. Some courts will be slippery and you'll be sliding miles and having difficulty changing direction. On others you won't be able to slide at all and you'll just move almost like you would on a hard court. As the court gets drier sliding becomes easier. When wet you won't slide much. The main strength of the surface is that it's all weather- i.e. it can handle a bit of rain and still be somewhat playable. It seems that in Japan they call this Omni court.

Personally, I don't like it all that much. But in a country that gets a fair amount of rain, like NZ, and where building indoor courts is expensive, it's an understandable solution. I'm surprised AUS bothers with it though. I would have thought with the weather over there they wouldn't need it.

Kirt12255
Jan 1st, 2012, 04:20 AM

Ughh tell me about it, have played on this crap often. Yes if you slide and fall it will quite easily relocate a few layers of skin. :(

martinafan
Jan 1st, 2012, 04:25 AM
Artificial grass. It's like carpet but has sand on it. It's gross. It's itchy. :scared:

I LOVE playing on artificial grass! I've grown up playing on these courts and think they are perfect! I Love the fact that you can slide on it too - makes the movement so so easy! There should be more of these at actual tour events I reckon! :D

sammy01
Jan 1st, 2012, 04:30 AM
I LOVE playing on artificial grass! I've grown up playing on these courts and think they are perfect! I Love the fact that you can slide on it too - makes the movement so so easy! There should be more of these at actual tour events I reckon! :D

this. have played on it for years, find moving and sliding on it both easy and fun. it is softer on the body than pounding the hardcourts. plus with the dismal weather in the uk can play on it in drizzle and 10 mins after rain. hardcourts are like ice on the line when wet.

tennis-insomniac
Jan 1st, 2012, 04:30 AM
I've played on it, there's quite rare in Thailand I believe, but the balls bounce really low and it is not that fast as it might seem. It can have weird bounces too, so If you are impatient player you are screwed :lol:

But the court in this video seems to be different from what I have experienced (it looks faster). Maybe because the courts that I played are very old and not very well-maintained.

anthonyqld
Jan 1st, 2012, 07:46 AM
These courts are everywhere in Australia

And I hate those courts.

QTC & Marsden TC both have no synthetic grass thankfully. Cambridge (the close centre to me) 3/4 courts are SG

But they're much better than antbed courts, which they have at Beaudesert

Fantasy Hero
Jan 1st, 2012, 09:53 AM
articial grass otherwise known as 'carpet'. it is like astroturf infilled with sand. all year round playing surface very popular in the UK cus of the weather. you can slide on it depending on how much top dressing (sand) is applied.

it's quite common in the north of italy too, as they can be playing soccer on it. tenniswise it's a really nice surface to play on as it's pretty fast, you can slide on it and it really makes your slices and dropshots being effective!

aloeball
Jan 1st, 2012, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I thought this was common in Australia - in the outta west at least. You can find them virtually anywhere.

Plays fast and low like grass but you need to slide just like clay.

People call it synthetic grass here I think

Mashabator
Jan 1st, 2012, 10:58 AM
I learnt and play alot on this surface but there is no visible sand just a little bit of sand so you can slide :lol:

Dani12
Jan 1st, 2012, 10:59 AM
I imagine they differ greatly depending on how much sand is on the covering, for example, less sand making it quicker and more sand slower.