PDA

View Full Version : France Threaten Iraq (This is NOT a joke, they really threatened someone)

Cassius
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:10 AM
From the BBC news site:

'France has made its strongest statement of support yet for military action against Iraq.

French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin said that if President Saddam Hussein fails to comply with the Security Council resolution on inspection and disarmament, force will inevitably be used against Baghdad.

During more than four weeks of argument with the United States about the resolution, France consistently argued that it should not give automatic authorisation for military action.

The French government never ruled out military action against Iraq, or even taking part in it - provided it was authorised by the United Nations Security Council.

In that, it took care to mark out a different position from German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, who angered Washington in his campaign for re-election by saying Germany would not join such a campaign in any circumstances.

Hardline message

In an interview on France Inter radio, Mr de Villepin noted that the resolution setting out the new inspection regime had been passed unanimously.

He said President Saddam Hussein now knew perfectly well what would happen if he did not comply with the resolution.

The scenario was now clear: if he did not meet his obligations, force would obviously be used.

Despite Mr de Villepin's comments, it is still presumably the French Government's position that the Security Council should take the final decision on military action.

Washington's view is that that isn't necessary, and indeed the resolution doesn't say it is.

But the French and the Americans are now delivering the same hardline message to Iraq - which may surprise some who saw them argue over the resolution line by line for several weeks.

But the argument was conducted without recrimination, and both governments decided they would in the end get roughly what they wanted.

For France, it was a reaffirmation of its international influence as a permanent member of the Security Council, together with Washington's agreement to act through the United Nations.

As for the United States, it got a resolution that gives it a virtually free hand against Iraq, and strengthened legitimacy for any military action it may eventually take.'

WOW:eek:
I'm totally shocked:eek:
The last time France threatened anybody with military action it was the Prussians in the 1800s;)

antonella
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:17 AM
This is tantamount to aiding and abetting Saddam. He now has a valid reason to think he might be able to win.

DutchieGirl
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:19 AM
lol I'm more shocked, coz I thought Dominique is a girls name, yet this seems to be a guy according to the article! ;) :p

I'm surprised though, because France never said anything about using force against Iraq before.

LeonHart
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:47 AM
ooo...Good ;) France finally wants a piece of the action! :eek:

CC
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:26 AM
I don't want to die in a world war.:sad:

gmt
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Dominique is both a male and a female name in France. During the 20th century, 166,000 girls and 250,000 boys were given that name (source: http://www.prenoms.com). It is becoming quite uncommon for babies these days, but still more frequent for boys.

France's position is not the only possible one, but it is quite clear and logical. I don't see what is surprising in Dominique de Villepin's statement. Maybe we are more used to considering the Arab world as a complex whole from here, and not only as Iraq, much less as just a target or a government. This does not mean that one should or would not take one's responsibilities in international action. Btw, French troops have been involved in quite a few actions in recent years, some of them having been questioned actually.