PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Fulnek!

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:17 AM
Quoted from The Guardian newspaper:

Petra Kvitova drives a Skoda and her English comes in considered little lumps, with no artifice. The bright new force in the women's game will let her tennis do the talking and her smile embellish the story of a country girl from the Czech Republic.

The other day, when Kvitova was asked if we had reason to know the name of anyone else from Fulnek, she shrugged and said, "No".

She is from a small town near the Polish border, Fulnek, which, she is happy to tell us, "is nothing special, 6,000 people, four tennis courts, one football ground and a castle".

Just your run-of-the mill Moravian village, then – but Kvitova is no run-of-the-mill tennis player. The new Wimbledon champion, who played with an irresistible mix of power, subtlety and intelligence to confound the more graceful but fragile Maria Sharapova on Centre Court, is special.

Now, Fulnek is the home of the newest Wimbledon champion. But there's nothing new about that for many a town in a nation that, acre-for-acre, may be the best tennis factory on earth.

Hi gang,

Here's a collection of shots from my Dececember 25, 2011 trip to Fulnek. Sorry the pictures aren't the most dazzling, my camera isn't a top end model obviously. But, enjoy them for what they are - a window into the past and present of our favorite tennis player, Queen Petra.

A few facts about Fulnek:

It was first permanently settled in the second half of the 13th century although it had been inhabited as far back as the neolithic period.
The name Fulnek comes from the old German word for swamp (Pfuhl).
The Goose brook (Gručovka) which runs through the town is a historical divider of the Moravian and Silesian lands.

To find the old town center go left at the signpost.

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:20 AM
If you look at the signpost you will notice Petra's birthplace, Bilovec, is not too far away.

Jan Amos Komensky is the most famous historical figure hailed in Fulnek. He is considered the father of modern education. On the other hand, you can walk through the entire town and not find one word or picture about Petra. Strange but true.

Oh yeah, Petra forgot to mention her town has a tank-and quite a nice one!

Radegast. The most popular beer in Moravia. A very typical golden lager. Czechs like it for it's smooth flavor and light bitterness.

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:21 AM
Steel products factory, schools, police car and Town Hall (Radnice).

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:23 AM
Old Town Square: Jan Amos Komensky memorial, Holy Trinity church, St. Jan of Nepomuk statue.

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:25 AM
Old town Square, view from Holy Trinity Church, photos of HTC interior, history of Fulnek.

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:27 AM
Fulnek after WW2, post war reconstruction, Fulnek Castles-upper and lower(not open to the public), history of the castles.

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:28 AM
Fancy private home across from the castle, Holy Trinity Church,church tombstones from early 1500s, old town square with plague column (a very common item in many Czech towns-the one in Olomouc being one of the greatest in the world), castle view from the old town square.

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:30 AM
St. Jan of Nepomuk fountain on the old square, typical communist era apartment building made from prefabricated concrete panels found all across the Czech Republic ('panelaky'- Vaclav Havel despised them and likened them to rabbit hutches), nice street name sign-Pivovarska (it means beer brewery street), the Gručovka or Goose brook which runs through the town, view of the castle and panelaky from across the brook on the opposite hill.

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:32 AM
Baroque cemetery with the chapel of St. Rochus and St. Sebastian (1632), tombstone from 1702, former Capuchin monastery and Church of St. Joseph (1600s), Empire style Villa 'Loretta' from 1829 (it was originally a Lorettan chapel from 1679-now used as children's home and school of cooking), statue of Jan Amos Komensky.

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:34 AM
Petra's old school maybe?, schoolyard with chickens running around, statue of Our Lady-Queen of Heaven, sports area, sports club.

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:35 AM
Where it all began: the ever humble Tennis Club Fulnek. Small office with price list for court time (inside on the walls are hanging two interesting posters: one from the Cedok Open Nabisco Grand Prix of August, 1986 and the other one of some slim young Mandlikova type female player from the 80s whom I couldn't quite identify because of the foggy windows. My only clue is her racket had a star on the strings and her racket covers also had a white star on them. Any guesses??? ), the courts which have been badly damaged by the recent winter weather and snow. The whole area is in a state of general decay. The fences and equipment are rusty, the courts need resurfacing, and half the viewing benches are missing boards. Meanwhile, the football field next door is in great condition.

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:37 AM
The main office, the changing rooms, a storage shed or maybe bathroom? More views of the courts. All of it amazingly basic. So far it would appear Petra's success has not drifted down financially to her old stomping grounds.

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:38 AM
Where it all really began: the old hitting wall and practice court. Fresh clay and roller for court resurfacing. A new roller was seen on one of the other courts and boxes with new nets (I believe) were seen in the main office. A little love for the old courts at least.

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:40 AM
mm

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:42 AM
The local pharmacy, green old gem of a building with German architectural influences, older style family house, the freshly reconstructed train station and graffiti covered (on the inside) outside waiting area.

paulmara
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:43 AM
Great photos

http://www.kampocesku.cz/gallery/2009_07_08/27_Fulnek_zamek.jpg

http://www.postopachokd.cz/images_denik/img_3067.jpg

http://www.postopachokd.cz/images_denik/100_8317.jpg

http://www.portalymest.cz/obrazky/fulnek-namesti.jpg

http://www.fotohistorie.cz/image.jpg.ashx?photoID=2363&photoType=1

http://i.lidovky.cz/11/071/lnmaxi/ANT3c53ea_photo2.JPG

http://i.lidovky.cz/11/071/lnmaxi/ANT3c542c_photo9.JPG

and their legendary tank

http://www.vlakynachod.cz/img/picture/1645/imgp2595.jpg

welcome to Fulnek City

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:44 AM
No comments really needed but how about that devil one? I'd kind of worry about whoever produced that one. LOL

Queen Petra Fan
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:46 AM
Translations coming soon.

Corswandt
Dec 31st, 2011, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah, Petra forgot to mention her town has a tank-and quite a nice one!

http://www.tennisforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59007&d=1325319573

Looks like a T-62 - quite likely a T-62M with the upgraded armour around the turret. Left behind by the Central Group of Forces after its withdrawal? Locally produced?

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 1st, 2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.tennisforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59007&d=1325319573

Looks like a T-62 - quite likely a T-62M with the upgraded armour around the turret. Left behind by the Central Group of Forces after its withdrawal? Locally produced?

You could be right. T-62s were produced in Czechoslovakia from 1975-1978. Unfortunately there wasn't any sign or plaque around with any detailed information to confirm your guess. The only sign around was the one hanging above it jokingly stating that this tank met all technical parameters to drive on Czech roads. Here's a few more photos to help you. For my money, I think your guess is right after comparing them with other photos of T-54s, T-62s, T-64s etc.

paulmara
Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:12 PM
You didnt mention one important thing. Petras parents live only 400 metres from train station. You were not interested or you missed it by one corner?

mac47
Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
Did Petra learn tennis on clay courts?

Excelscior
Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:30 PM
Did Petra learn tennis on clay courts?

@Mac

Yes.

Those were the courts she played on growing up, till she went to Prostejov to train (or when she traveled).

They were the only ones in town. Lol

Her father trained her, and she played against her brothers (minus some isolated tournaments), till she went to Prostejov.

So she didn't really have that serious, crazy tennis prodigy training and high competition from her youth, like so many other players.

Petra says, Prostejov wanted her when she was younger, but her father didn't want her to go (kinda like Rafa and his parents, who kept him in Mallorca, instead of Madrid), until she left at 16-17.

Petra should still be improving steadily for the next several years.

Petronius
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the photos, QPF. Some great Baroque architecture as well. I lived in Moravia for about one year and some of these picturesque little towns are just :drool: I especially liked the town of Kroměř (UNESCO heritage site) where they filmed the famous movie Amadeus which won 8 Oscars.

Nice to see that Petra began to play on clay courts, I think she'll win at least one or two RG titles in her career in addition to her five or six Wimbledons :devil:

I hope you had a great time.

Petronius
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
Translations coming soon.

I strongly recommend not making any translations :lol:

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:01 PM
You didnt mention one important thing. Petras parents live only 400 metres from train station. You were not interested or you missed it by one corner?

Ahoj PaulMaestro,

It would've been an inexcusable sin to bother or prowl around Petra's family home on the 25th when she was relaxing with family and friends. Therefore I didn't go near the place out of respect for their privacy. Anybody who would do that on the 24th or 25th deserves to be attacked by a guard dog. :lol:

However, I did have a really good idea where it could be found. Hint, hint. :cool:

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the photos, QPF. Some great Baroque architecture as well. I lived in Moravia for about one year and some of these picturesque little towns are just :drool: I especially liked the town of Kroměř (UNESCO heritage site) where they filmed the famous movie Amadeus which won 8 Oscars.

Nice to see that Petra began to play on clay courts, I think she'll win at least one or two RG titles in her career in addition to her five or six Wimbledons :devil:

Thanks. It was a very enjoyable time except for 100 percent of the shops and restaurants being closed. Not a beer to be found anywhere. :bigcry:

You're so right about Kroměř. It's a really lovely, peaceful city. Very livable indeed. So calm and clean. I also wouldn't cry about living in Mikulov or Brno either. :D

ArcticMoose
Jan 8th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Ahoj PaulMaestro,

It would've been an inexcusable sin to bother or prowl around Petra's family home on the 25th when she was relaxing with family and friends. Therefore I didn't go near the place out of respect for their privacy. Anybody who would do that on the 24th or 25th deserves to be attacked by a guard dog. :lol:

However, I did have a really good idea where it could be found. Hint, hint. :cool:
:pOh! we do have a reformed:o paparazzi (aka: s*****r:tape:) - excellent work though!:D

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 11th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Where it all began: the ever humble Tennis Club Fulnek. Small office with price list for court time (inside on the walls are hanging two interesting posters: one from the Cedok Open Nabisco Grand Prix of August, 1986 and the other one of some slim young Mandlikova type female player from the 80s whom I couldn't quite identify because of the foggy windows. My only clue is her racket had a star on the strings and her racket covers also had a white star on them. Any guesses??? ), the courts which have been badly damaged by the recent winter weather and snow. The whole area is in a state of general decay. The fences and equipment are rusty, the courts need resurfacing, and half the viewing benches are missing boards. Meanwhile, the football field next door is in great condition.

I finally found it! :bounce:

This is the exact poster hanging in the little blue shack at the Fulnek Tennis Club.

The young lady is Helena Sukova (circa 1990)!!!

Corswandt
Jan 13th, 2012, 06:58 PM
^^^^^^^^

Kneissl racquets, recently used by Sevastova.

Losing Streak
Jan 13th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the nice report KPF! :D

ArcticMoose
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
:D Hey QPF - This photo suits your thread title beautifully - you could perhaps put it at the top of the thread ...like Petra's inviting fans to have a look around Fulnek leading onto your photographic tour ....:yeah:
http://imagebox.cz.osobnosti.cz/foto/petra-kvitova/N470902-67f27.jpg

Queen Petra Fan
Jul 24th, 2012, 03:51 AM
:D Hey QPF - This photo suits your thread title beautifully - you could perhaps put it at the top of the thread ...like Petra's inviting fans to have a look around Fulnek leading onto your photographic tour ....:yeah:
http://imagebox.cz.osobnosti.cz/foto/petra-kvitova/N470902-67f27.jpg

That's a really nice photo. Good job finding it! :hi5:

Maybe one of the mods could fulfill your request.

bruce goose
Jul 24th, 2012, 04:03 AM
http://imagebox.cz.osobnosti.cz/foto/petra-kvitova/N470902-67f27.jpgYeah,that IS a real keeper of a photo,Moose:).I wonder if Derne means 'Darn It' in Czech:p

bruce goose
Jul 24th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Just a little thought for Fulnek's mayor: Petra in that same pose(leaning against the post)--but wearing a swimsuit--with one of her eyebrows provocatively raised--and holding a sign that reads,'Come see me in Fulnek.'.....obviously,the town would charge for tours of her childhood home...with dishonest pledges to teenage boys that Petra randomly stopped by to visit with the tour groups once in a while:devil:

King Halep
Jul 24th, 2012, 04:54 PM

Nice to see that Petra began to play on clay courts, I think she'll win at least one or two RG titles in her career in addition to her five or six Wimbledons

Interesting

steni
Jul 24th, 2012, 09:00 PM

Oh wow! In Costa Rica there is a town called Moravia as well... Hmmm!

Petronius
Jul 26th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Oh wow! In Costa Rica there is a town called Moravia as well... Hmmm!

Interesting. The only thing I know about Cost Rica is that there are beautiful beaches ;)

bruce goose
Jul 26th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Interesting. The only thing I know about Cost Rica is that there are beautiful beaches ;)Will keep this brief since it's far more off-topic than Fulnek-related,but Costa Rica and Chile are role models for some of us in Latin America who want to see our countries stand up and rise above the cesspool left by La Pinche Patria Tapada Espan~a during the colonial period

Petronius
Jul 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Will keep this brief since it's far more off-topic than Fulnek-related,but Costa Rica and Chile are role models for some of us in Latin America who want to see our countries stand up and rise above the cesspool left by La Pinche Patria Tapada Espan~a during the colonial period

Years ago, we had three girls from Chile staying for a few days at our house (we used to rent an apartment in Prague in summer to foreign visitors) and what surprised me was how confident and demanding they were. They certainly behaved more 'Western-like' than what I would have expected.

BTW, what about Argentina as a role model? I think it used to be the richest Latin American country.

steni
Jul 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Will keep this brief since it's far more off-topic than Fulnek-related,but Costa Rica and Chile are role models for some of us in Latin America who want to see our countries stand up and rise above the cesspool left by La Pinche Patria Tapada Espan~a during the colonial period

Years ago, we had three girls from Chile staying for a few days at our house (we used to rent an apartment in Prague in summer to foreign visitors) and what surprised me was how confident and demanding they were. They certainly behaved more 'Western-like' than what I would have expected.

BTW, what about Argentina as a role model? I think it used to be the richest Latin American country.

Off topic sorry! NO country in Latin America is a role model I think, even if Costa Rica is a country without an army or with an universal health care system, we too struggle with corruption in politics, violence, narcotraffic, insecurity, and just to let you know, cars accidents are the second cause of death in CR, unfortunately!

bruce goose
Jul 26th, 2012, 08:04 PM

BTW, what about Argentina as a role model? I think it used to be the richest Latin American country.Petronius,I answered in the off-topic thread cuz this is already getting out of hand here in Petra's Fulnek thread

ArcticMoose
Jul 27th, 2012, 03:17 PM
That's a really nice photo. Good job finding it!

Maybe one of the mods could fulfill your request.

Yeah,that IS a real keeper of a photo,Moose .I wonder if Derne means 'Darn It' in Czech

:yeah:I will try & get the Mod to insert the Pic at the Top & some words like .. welcome to my home town Fulnek:angel:.enjoy the picturesque guided tour prepared by my fan QPF:D