PDA

View Full Version : Liberty - Britain's last battery hen

Sam L
Dec 31st, 2011, 05:19 AM
http://images.smh.com.au/2011/12/30/2866038/art-Liberty2-420x0.jpg

Jane Howorth from national charity the British Hen Welfare Trust holds Liberty, the last ex-battery hen to be rehomed.
A chicken that may be Britain's "last battery hen" has been given a new home, marking the end of an era for commercial laying hens.
The hen, which has been named Liberty, will enjoy her retirement at a farm in Chulmleigh, Devon, where she will join around 60 other ex-battery hens.
An EU directive abolishing the barren, or battery, cage system comes into effect on January 1, when egg producers will have to provide hens with larger cages enabling them to spread their wings and move around.
The British Hen Welfare Trust, set up in 2005, has re-homed thousands of hens across the country.
Liberty will now stay at the trust's base in Devon with its founder, Jane Howorth.
"Today is a major milestone in the life of the commercial laying hen in Britain and I'm pleased that improved welfare changes are being implemented," Ms Howorth said.
"It's an emotional day for us at the British Hen Welfare Trust, as one chapter closes and a new one begins.
"As Liberty enjoys her new-found freedom, she is blissfully unaware of the milestone in the history of hens that she represents and the fact that she is the very reason I set up this charity."
The trust launched an appeal to the public in November to help re-home as many of the last batch of battery hens as possible, hoping it could find new homes for about 6000 hens.
The response was so high that it has re-homed nearer 15,000 - almost 6000 of which were re-homed in three days between Christmas and the new year, the charity said.
But, Ms Howorth added there are still a number of challenges ahead of them.
"These things are never simple, and whilst Britain is complying with the new legislation, many overseas countries are not, and we will continue to see battery eggs imported into the UK, many of which will end up in processed food," she said.
British egg farmers have invested an estimated STG400 million ($A612 million) to comply with the new regulations, but the charity said up to one third of other EU member states will not be ready.
The trust added that under the new regulations cages can hold up to 90 birds, but they must have space to spread their wings, perch and be able to go from one end of the cage to the other, with 750 square centimetres of space for each bird.
The old-style cages had just 550 square centimetres of space - less than a sheet of A4 paper.
The British Hen Welfare Trust, which started out as a one woman with a van operation, said that at the last count it will have re-homed over 300,000 ex-battery hens by the end of 2011.
http://www.smh.com.au/world/brits-crow-over-liberty--the-last-battery-hen-20111230-1pfgc.html

They should make this law across EU and force those nations to comply. But an important step nonetheless. :D

matthias
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:37 PM
i support that too
Freedom for Hen´s
i stryctly buy just eggs from free Hens :)

Monica_Rules
Dec 31st, 2011, 02:37 PM
Good to see some good stuff with the UK taking the lead.

I only buy organic or free range eggs. It makes me mad when i see my housemates buy Value eggs. You just know where they came from