PDA

View Full Version : Four Aussie summers ago, the tennis world was dealt a crushing blow...

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Navratilova. Graf. Seles. The retirements of some of the all-time greats of the sport have left unforgettable marks in the game. But in 2008, the retirement of one player at the Australian Open was so monumental and so catastrophic that tennis really hasn't been the same ever since.

Of course, I'm speaking about Nicole Pratt. This highlight reel is all you need to see to prove my point. The SLOW winners. The penetrating backhand, but a forehand so deadly that it was worth running across the entire court to hit. The fashion flair. It just brings tears to my eyes to remember this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYz3YRZqYWk

TS
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Ah Pratty on RLA at night. The days when she was Australia's number 1 player.

That GOAT forehand at 5:00 :drool:

Mikey.
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:03 AM
What a legend. :lol:

hdfb
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:30 AM
She made the most of her limited arsenal. Just used Shaugnessys pace off first serve for a return winner down the line many times. And hey, girl could volley, and wasn't afraid to, unlike some WTA players.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:38 AM
She made the most of her limited arsenal. Just used Shaugnessys pace off first serve for a return winner down the line many times. And hey, girl could volley, and wasn't afraid to, unlike some WTA players.

Agreed. I'm obviously taking the piss out of Pratty, but she is the textbook definition of making the most out of what you have.

NA-GOAT
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:41 AM
she ran around her backhand like Nadal and Sam :oh:

sammy01
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:44 AM
ash barty could neva :devil:

ranfurly
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:54 AM
Loved watching her play.

Made use of everything she had and gave it her all.

mauresmofan
Dec 31st, 2011, 01:40 AM
She played the same way as Graf but in some sort of freak bizarre opposite landish sort of way she'd run round her backhand to hit her forehand that would go very slowly to the other side and allow her opponents to tee off on it and hit winners. I have no idea how she hit those shots so slowly because she's putting in some effort in her shot production.

Hurley
Dec 31st, 2011, 01:49 AM
:hysteric: Looming :crying2:

SwingVolley93
Dec 31st, 2011, 01:55 AM
Shes not that good, or am I missing a joke :shrug:

ranfurly
Dec 31st, 2011, 02:04 AM

Missing the Joke.

Mikey.
Dec 31st, 2011, 02:12 AM
^ Yep. Definitely missing the joke.

ranfurly
Dec 31st, 2011, 02:18 AM

Pratt was a mediocre player, who showed some more of her impressive results during the latter stages of her career, especially the little run at the Aussie Open a few years ago, she was Australias top player for a period and became a household name in tennis circles.

She has been a great ambassador to Tennis in Australia, and adopted the "mother" like reputation amongst other players.

She showed qualities that even if you don't have alot of game, grit, determination and a hard work ethic can inspire results and performance.

So it's a running gag with Australian tennis fans (more so on here) about her legendary status.

AUSBOY
Dec 31st, 2011, 02:24 AM
Pratty was a legend, I miss her too! Her work ethic with training was impeccable, she was super fit, and could not have gotten much more out of the career she had.

I loved the fact that this super hard working aussie battler had the belief she could win any match, and always threw everything she had into every match. She was fantastic at mixing it up, throwing in a lot of awkward junk balls. She wasn't stupid, she knew she couldn't outbash a lot of the top players, and that she would have to be more creative than that. A lot of people would bag her for her junk balls, but these were tactical shots. Pratt actually could hit a nice flat ball, but not as good as the top 30 players, she wasn't quite as powerful or consistent and besides she knew that feeding the top players the same type of ball that they hit would only favour them, and help them get their rhythm more.

In a way Pratt was like what Monica Niculescu is now!! Although Monica has more variety of junk balls!

People forget Pratt was also a huge mentor/influence and motivater for Molik and Stosur in improving their fitness and strength to crack the top 10.

Pops Maellard
Dec 31st, 2011, 02:43 AM
The other better Nicole needs to come back :sad:.

new-york
Dec 31st, 2011, 02:58 AM
She offered us great moments on the board. :D