PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams 2012 : Motivation? (updated 1/23)

pov
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:35 PM
IMO predictions are generally nonsense so maybe there is little point to this topic. Still . . . as I'm sure many people are aware - as long as she stays injury-free - Williams' motivation will be the deciding factor in her 2012 season. I'm sure she'd like to rule the roost again but does she have a strong hunger for it? Both Williams sisters play their cards close to their chest but are there any signs of where S. Williams' head is at?

---
Added: 12 replies so far and only 1 poster has addressed the questions.

Do people think she has a strong hunger to rule the roost again?
Are there any signs of where her head is at about it?

-----------------
1/23
Given her comments about "I don't love tennis today" and her lackluster loss yesterday, I'd say her motivation has diminished. She may be playing now more out of "just doing my job" than anything else.

mauresmofan
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:40 PM
It's an Olympic year so if that doesn't get you motivated then you can't be motivated and should retire. This year you get 2 opportunities to play on the greatest stage in tennis, that comes along once in a lifetime if you're lucky.

Slutiana
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:50 PM
She spent almost a full year out last year and almost died, came back and completely fell apart physically and mentally in what would've been one of the greatest and most iconic victories of her career. Motivation is one thing she doesn't lack right now, and her six pack would probably agree.

Mightymirza
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Wimbledon+olympics..

Pump-it-UP
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:55 PM
She spent almost a full year out last year and almost died, came back and completely fell apart physically and mentally in what would've been one of the greatest and most iconic victories of her career. Motivation is one thing she doesn't lack right now, and her six pack would probably agree.
This. Plus she'll be motivated to do well to impress her man. That Twitter meltdown last night was the start of the Goldenrena Slam. :angel:

Mistress of Evil
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Tankrena will limit her showings greatly.

pov
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Wimbledon+olympics..
That's not "the hunger". Focusing only on majors has been her standard MO over the past few years.

pov
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Plus she'll be motivated to do well to impress her man. That Twitter meltdown last night was the start of the Goldenrena Slam.
??? What do you mean?

matthias
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:44 PM
im sure her goal is Olympic Gold , and the 4 slams
i think she is not really motivated at the smaller events

Pump-it-UP
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:51 PM
??? What do you mean?

Serena tends to play her best tennis when she's heartbroken. LaVar Arrington in 2001 inspired her to do the Serena Slam, Common at Wimbledon 2010, etc.

Mynarco
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Serena tends to play her best tennis when she's heartbroken. LaVar Arrington in 2001 inspired her to do the Serena Slam, Common at Wimbledon 2010, etc.

Wait, who was she with, and is she with now? I thought she was still with Common :o

ETA: I think Sarin wants to win one more RG

bandabou
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Oz open, Wimbledon and Olympics..those are the things she's gonna aim for. Plus maybe another Miami title.

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:41 PM
She'll either win slams and gold or not any of them. She won't win Stanford, Miami etc. :oh:

AjdeNate!
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I'm sure she does like 'Motivation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1XozsBN5Z4&ob=av2e)' since she is friends with Kelly. :shrug:

In The Zone
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Realistically her last shot at the Golden Slam.

Critique
Dec 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
It's Olympic year being played on grass at Wimbledon. It would be disgusting if any player claimed they had no motivation for 2012. Serena misses Olympic Gold in singles from her resum, so it will be prioritized ahead of anything next year.

dsanders06
Dec 30th, 2011, 07:23 PM

:spit: Even she's not delusional enough to think she has a chance of achieving that.

Anyway, I think this is going be a 2009-like season for her in terms of commitment - full effort at the Slams (+ Olympics), she'll show up to most of the big WTA tournaments but not put in any effort. But I think she knows that, although she's still relatively healthy, the clock is ticking and that realistically her next two years are probably her remaining window to win Slams.

JRena
Dec 30th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Golden Slam :worship:

In The Zone
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:03 PM
:spit: Even she's not delusional enough to think she has a chance of achieving that.

Anyway, I think this is going be a 2009-like season for her in terms of commitment - full effort at the Slams (+ Olympics), she'll show up to most of the big WTA tournaments but not put in any effort. But I think she knows that, although she's still relatively healthy, the clock is ticking and that realistically her next two years are probably her remaining window to win Slams.

Delusional? She's the obvious favorite at three of the four slams and the Olympics are played at Wimbledon.

Only one tough, tough obstacle being the French and she has been very close in her last 2 RG's to winning the title.

rechi
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:07 PM
It's an olympic year - so better count on Serena and Venus! They'll fight and win! Go sisters ;-)

dsanders06
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Delusional? She's the obvious favorite at three of the four slams and the Olympics are played at Wimbledon.

Only one tough, tough obstacle being the French and she has been very close in her last 2 RG's to winning the title.

Uh, no. Clijsters is the prohibitive favourite for the US Open given her recent record, and probably Kvitova for Wimbledon at this stage, though things could change with events nearer the time of course. Serena is only favourite for the AO. And if Serena couldn't win 3 Slams in 2008-10 when she was younger and when the game was in a worse state, no way is she going to do it now... two Slams is her absolute limit for this year (I'd predict her to win one, and it sure as hell won't be RG :lol: ).

(I'll just gloss over you claiming losing in the QFs is close to winning RG :sobbing: )

Mistress of Evil
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:01 PM

I believe theoretically is a more suitable word. :shrug: Of course, the only player with somewhat of a shot at the Golden Slam can only be Serena but still physically it is just too much of a task, her body will not be able to hold up.

Gdsimmons
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Why cant people give their 2 cents and be done. Always have to somehow throw in a backhand insult.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyways, I think Serena's motivation is gonna be huge. Her resume is missing something pretty huge and this year is like pretty much the only chance left.

In The Zone
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I believe theoretically is a more suitable word. :shrug: Of course, the only player with somewhat of a shot at the Golden Slam can only be Serena but still physically it is just too much of a task, her body will not be able to hold up.

I don't think it's a "delusional" goal, though. If she snags the French, you bet your ass she knows it is within her reach.

bandabou
Dec 30th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Golden slam? :lol: Nah man. I'm Serena's biggest fan, but..that ain't happening.

I do think she's gonna nab at least one of the majors and do well at the Olympics.

pov
Jan 2nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Her post-match interview doesn't suggest high motivation:

Its not that Ive fallen out of love Ive never really liked sports, I never understood how I became an athlete, Williams said.

She added, laughing, that shes never liked working out and I dont want anything that has to do with working physically.

If it involves sitting down or shopping I am excellent at that. I dont love tennis today but I cant live without it so I am still here.

Williams has said previously that she plans to cut down on her schedule in 2012.

I just want to be able to do other things I am doing and expand on that, she said Monday. I think that will help keep my motivation up. I have always been preparing myself for life after tennis.

vozas
Jan 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM
She won't win any major.

Stonerpova
Jan 2nd, 2012, 03:40 PM

This.

Raiden
Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:52 PM
LaVar Arrington in 2001 inspired her to do the Serena Slam, Common at Wimbledon 2010...... and now an old white guy

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ndbDUFmUnnI/TwHfknndmuI/AAAAAAAAFew/P5b8BZHipaQ/s300/spoon.jpg

Helen Lawson
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
I think in her head she still rules the roost--she always has. Her motivation I imagine is the same in prior years, win majors, make big bucks. In the back of her head, I think she knows her years of winning majors and in tennis are a lot closer to the end than the beginning, so I think she will be fully focused if her body holds up where in previous years, if she won the Australian, her motivation dipped for some or a lot of the rest of the year. I don't think that will happen. I think she will win 2 plus majors and other decent titles. I think Venus' career potentially being over due to the disease has register in her mind, as well as her health issues last year, to not take her career for granted. Just look at the shape she's in now.

tennisbum79
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:29 PM
I think in her head she still rules the roost--she always has. Her motivation I imagine is the same in prior years, win majors, make big bucks. In the back of her head, I think she knows her years of winning majors and in tennis are a lot closer to the end than the beginning, so I think she will be fully focused if her body holds up where in previous years, if she won the Australian, her motivation dipped for some or a lot of the rest of the year. I don't think that will happen. I think she will win 2 plus majors and other decent titles. I think Venus' career potentially being over due to the disease has register in her mind, as well as her health issues last year, to not take her career for granted. Just look at the shape she's in now.
Great post.:bounce:

serenaforever
Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Uh, no. Clijsters is the prohibitive favourite for the US Open given her recent record, and probably Kvitova for Wimbledon at this stage, though things could change with events nearer the time of course. Serena is only favourite for the AO. And if Serena couldn't win 3 Slams in 2008-10 when she was younger and when the game was in a worse state, no way is she going to do it now... two Slams is her absolute limit for this year (I'd predict her to win one, and it sure as hell won't be RG :lol: ).

(I'll just gloss over you claiming losing in the QFs is close to winning RG :sobbing: )

See, no one can take you seriously when you call people delusional, and then say stuff like this. :bigcry::hysteric:

jrollaneres25
Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:05 PM

Dsanders......:help::facepalm:

It's just a waste of time.....:rolleyes:

Apoleb
Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:10 PM
Life must suck if you can't live without something you don't like.

cowsonice
Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
Looking at all the "greats" in what is now the "old" generation, I think Serena has motivation but I think it's the same amount as any other year.

It's a bit exaggerative to say that Serena will wear out with her schedule. Her game isn't as demanding as Clijsters' as in it doesn't rely much on movement and Serena's schedule is probably the "lightest" among healthy, active players since she usually tanks whenever she feels that she's had enough.

tennisbum79
Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
I got a good rep for agreeing with your post, unfortunately, as before I am still not allowed to give you one.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Helen Lawson again."

Helen Lawson
Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM
I got a good rep for agreeing with your post, unfortunately, as before I am still not allowed to give you one.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Helen Lawson again."

Thanks, hon! Let's hope I'm right about Serena's year. :bounce:

darrinbaker00
Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Serena is a professional athlete. Professional athletes play for money. That's her motivation. Next topic, please.

Helen Lawson
Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:35 PM
Serena is a professional athlete. Professional athletes play for money. That's her motivation. Next topic, please.

I think she's a lot more money motivated than people think, but she also blows off loads of high-paying tournaments as well. She could make a fortune playing those dumb fall Asia tournaments or the ones in the Middle East, and she rarely does, so I don't think money is the only thing she's after.

vixter
Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:38 AM

Lets see what the bookies say about who is the favourite when US Open comes along... Long way from now. If I had to place the bet today I'd still place it on Serena... Clijsters is good but too unpredictable.

Serena could certainly win RG. And when she lost to Kuznetsova she went on to be the champion so Serena would probably have taken the title had she won that match.... A good Kuznetsova was pretty much her only threat)

ZODIAC
Jan 3rd, 2012, 07:08 AM

Anyway, I think this is going be a 2009-like season for her in terms of commitment - full effort at the Slams (+ Olympics), she'll show up to most of the big WTA tournaments but not put in any effort. But I think she knows that, although she's still relatively healthy, the clock is ticking and that realistically her next two years are probably her remaining window to win Slams.you are so predictable:p:devil::rolleyes:

Maddox
Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
Lets see what the bookies say about who is the favourite when US Open comes along... Long way from now. If I had to place the bet today I'd still place it on Serena... Clijsters is good but too unpredictable.

Serena could certainly win RG. And when she lost to Kuznetsova she went on to be the champion so Serena would probably have taken the title had she won that match.... A good Kuznetsova was pretty much her only threat)

Yes, and she certainly could have won in 2010 as well, she a match point against Stosur, had she won that she would have beaten Jankovic especially after she had a match point against her in Rome. And she definitely would have thumped Schiavone in the final

tennisfan5
Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:18 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Woe-is-Serena-Tennis-star-says-she-doesn-8217-;_ylt=Ajo3bZDghU3hdUqNO.w508w4v7YF?urn=ten-wp4014

Woe is Serena: Tennis star says she doesn’t love tennis

By Chris Chase

Woe is Serena: Tennis star says she doesn’t love tennis

After winning her opening match of the 2012 tennis season, Serena Williams told reporters she doesn't love the sport in which she excels.

"I don't love tennis today but I'm here," she said after beating Chanelle Scheepers, 6-2, 6-3 in the first round of the Brisbane International. "I can't live without it -- there's a difference between not loving something and not being able to live without it. I have never liked sports and could never understand how I became an athlete."

Serena went on to say that she doesn't like working out or training and that her 2012 schedule will be scaled back in order to provide her rest for big tournaments. The lighter slate also is intended to keep her motivated.

And therein these quotes lies the paradox that is Serena. From one view, her candor could be seen as refreshing. Here's a top athlete discussing the delicate balance of passion and obligation and fear of the unknown. She's revealing herself to the press, something she rarely has in the past.

Then you step back and realize Serena has the least self-awareness of any great athlete of the past decade. Two years later, she can't bring herself to acknowledge that she was wrong to threaten a lineswoman at the U.S. Open. She'll likely never admit her actions in last year's U.S. Open final crossed the line. Unless she gained some insight in the past four months, these quotes are selfish nonsense.

She's playing a lighter schedule in 2012? Since when has she ever played a full schedule? Even when she was a teenager, Serena never made it a secret that she focused on the big tournaments. There's nothing wrong with that. Let's not act as if this is some big sacrifice though.

Nobody is surprised Serena doesn't like tennis. Like Andre Agassi before her, she seems to only love the winning and is willing to put up with what it takes to get there. The grind doesn't interest her much.

These aren't new insights into her soul. The underlying tone isn't that Serena is a reluctant sports hero, it's that she's able to be so much better than the rest of the tour without caring about the game like they do. Her "I don't love tennis" quote isn't a revelation, it's a self-congratulatory declaration.

It's as if she's saying, "Just imagine what I could do if I cared."

new-york
Jan 3rd, 2012, 07:41 PM
She likes tennis, i'm sure. Prolly she had a moment.

moby
Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
Maybe she doesn't love tennis in the sense that she doesn't love hitting forehands, backhands or even her serve. But it's clear she loves competing and being the best and there's no other avenue in the world where she can claim to be the best.

ZODIAC
Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:19 PM
Serena is a natural athelete and would have excelled in other sports because she is very competetive.I think she likes the competetion but probably doesnt like the grind that goes with sports.This IS no indication that she is retiring because if she wins AO12 she will have a different mindset....

Zweli
Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:39 PM
I am sure she would love to win more majors olympics included,I doubt it has to do with money, she's mega rich already.She loves tennis, she loves to compete & she believes she still has the strength and power to do it.I don't think we even need to question her motivation,it's not like she had retired then came back.

Calvin M.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:40 PM
Do people think she has a strong hunger to rule the roost again?
Are there any signs of where her head is at about it?

Since Serena's still playing, I believe that she still has a stronger hunger to win Slams.

As for own personal thoughts, no clue. In my mind, money isn't a motivation at this stage in her career. Serena's gotta be thinking history books.

pov
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Given her comments about "I don't love tennis today" and her lackluster loss yesterday, I'd say her motivation has greatly diminished.

sweetpeas
Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:54 PM
Given her comments about "I don't love tennis today" and her lackluster loss yesterday, I'd say her motivation has greatly diminished.

When did your Pov win her last slam,talking out of your ears, I'd say her motivation has greatly diminished.

theFutureisNow
Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM
I think Serena is at a crossroads. She probably realizes now that she is going to have to train harder than she ever has to win another major. I think she is ambivalent about this, still deciding whether or not it is worth the effort.

If Serena gets shut out for the rest of the year there is a decent chance that she will retire. I'm sure she fully expected to win one of the last two slams, and Serena is not the type of player to tolerate losing.

I can see a scenario where Venus/Serena have a joint press conference after the US Open and announce that they are both retiring.

Stonerpova
Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:09 PM
I think Serena is at a crossroads. She probably realizes now that she is going to have to train harder than she ever has to win another major. I think she is ambivalent about this, still deciding whether or not it is worth the effort.

If Serena gets shut out for the rest of the year there is a decent chance that she will retire. I'm sure she fully expected to win one of the last two slams, and Serena is not the type of player to tolerate losing.

I can see a scenario where Venus/Serena have a joint press conference after the US Open and announce that they are both retiring.

I agree with everything except the last sentence. This is Serena we're talking about. She wouldn't wanna share the spotlight with anyone, not even Venus.

dsanders06
Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:17 PM
She'll refuse to retire til she wins another Slam, like Graf and Sampras. She's not going to go out while slumping.

StephenUK
Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:32 PM
She'll refuse to retire til she wins another Slam, like Graf and Sampras. She's not going to go out while slumping.

But she might not win another slam and she may just continue on a downward spiral. Then what? Graf had gone by the age Serena is now, so it is going to be harder for Serena to emulate her exit.

Serena's main motivation for 2012 will be winning the Olympics, the last big title missing from her resume, and now that the Australian Open is gone, she will be looking to win Wimbledon and/or the US Open to keep her slam record going.

She is not going to be motivated by the WTA Tour and I would expect very little play on that for the rest of her career - I doubt she will play until Miami or even the clay court season and I don't see her playing after the US Open again unless she is in line for a YEC place.

Unlike Kim, who has already decided to retire in 2012, Serena is doubtless seeing how 2012 pans out before making decisions on her future. In her Brisbane interview, she alluded to her life after tennis so it will be interesting to see to what extent particular projects related to that - acting, TV shows or whatever other no doubt media-based commitments - will cause major absences from the tour, even maybe missing slams as she winds down into retirement.

LDVTennis
Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:05 PM

Point of information:

Graf didn't come back to win another slam. After the two knee surgeries, she wanted to prove something to herself, that she could still play at a high level and compete. Winning the French for her was incidental. With Graf it was always about playing at a certain level not about winning.

dsanders06
Jan 23rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
Point of information:

Graf didn't come back to win another slam. After the two knee surgeries, she wanted to prove something to herself, that she could still play at a high level and compete. Winning the French for her was incidental. With Graf it was always about playing at a certain level not about winning.

That might be what she says, but I'm not sure I believe that. She's made it pretty clear she didn't enjoy playing at all in her final years, and I think it's pretty telling that she announced plans to retire as soon as she won RG that last time, saying she wouldn't be playing there again. I think she's similar to Sampras and Serena in that she NEVER loved the sport itself, she just loved competing and loved being regarded as the best, and I think she just didn't want to be remembered as leaving on a low note ... and I suspect Serena will be the same.

Raiden
Jan 23rd, 2012, 08:16 PM
... it will be interesting to see to what extent particular projects related to that - acting, TV shows or whatever other no doubt media-based commitments - No, she's already tried to develop a career in that field but apparently even Tyler Perry wasn't interested.

serenafan08
Jan 23rd, 2012, 08:21 PM
I agree with everything except the last sentence. This is Serena we're talking about. She wouldn't wanna share the spotlight with anyone, not even Venus.

It has nothing to do with "sharing the spotlight." If Serena and Venus want to retire together they will. I don't think they will because Serena will want to keep playing. This year is going to be huge for Venus instead of Serena I think. If she has a lackluster year, I don't see her playing much, if at all next year. Everyone is all up in arms about Serena losing yesterday, but I still think she's bound to have a good year. There's nothing but gains for her - she didn't play at all during this period last year. She'll just add up points no matter where she plays.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:46 PM
Well I think Serena has done it all....she's dominated the sport in singles AND doubles, she won every slam in singles and doubles including a Olympic gold metal. Now she's in her 30's, her sister does not play as much so now she's in slams alone. She had a really bad life threatning injury...so she really does have a right to be tired of the sport ya'll. Most champions go on a decline after they've been in the game for a while. The accomplishments she and her sister has done will go down in history...they changed the game with their athleticism. She has nothing to prove anymore...it will be a sad day when she retires but when she hangs up her boxing gloves she can damn sure say JOB WELL done...Many people around the world (especially the Black Community) is absolutely proud of them. To us they will always be the best players the WTA has exposed. I've been SOOOO lucky to actually meet Venus in person, shake her hand and tell her personally how proud we are of her accomplishments.

pov
Jan 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM
When did your Pov win her last slam,talking out of your ears, I'd say her motivation has greatly diminished.

??? "my Pov"? Wtf is "my Pov"?

pov
Jan 24th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Yeah. I also wonder about the effect of Venus not playing on her mindset. She has often said that a prime motivator for her was to emulate and outdo Venus.

Calvin M.
Jan 26th, 2012, 01:36 AM

Yep, I agree. I'm hoping it's the French but Wimby and the USO will do just fine.