PDA

View Full Version : The "Shit, I should not have compared myself to XXX person" thread.

skanky~skanketta
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:28 AM
All of us have times in our lives where we inevitably compare ourselves to someone who appears to be doing a lot better and this ends up fucking up our minds.

This thread is dedicated to all of u who want to talk about it. I'll start.

I have a big sister who is 3 years older. I love her to death. Anyway, she got married in 2009 (at 28) and right now, at this very moment is in the labor room about to give birth to her third child. She has everything going for her. Great career, great family.

I look at me and well, I'm happy with my life. I have a great career too, but it's not the professional one my sister has (she's a doctor). I work in PR. It's been a battle with my family ever since I decided on what I wanted to major in in uni. Being Indian, I was expected to go the medical/engineering route. I did everything I was supposed to (i.e. the sciences - it didnt matter whether I wanted to or not, it was just a given). At the last minute (literally 2 weeks before I was supposed to start my pre-med courses), I bailed out. Lots of drama ensued, I won and ended up doing Communications. However, till today, people look at my sister as if she's the smarter one. I bothers me.

Then I look at the whole marriage thing. I would like it some time in the future, but right now, I'm just happy to go on dates without commitments. Once again, being Indian, there are repercussions - "Look at her, 28 and still with the short skirts (they are not that short) and high heels. And still single you know!" ARGHHHH!!!

I let this get to me and I cant help it. And I keep thinking, if only I'd held on to this guy, or that guy, I could have been married with kids now too. Sigh.

Sam L
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Do you want to be married with kids? If not, why are you bothered? I don't think there's anything wrong with choosing a career that you prefer than one that's prestigious but you'd hate. There are so many doctors like that out there and you can really tell they're just doing it for the money/prestige.

I have not really compared myself to real life people. I thought you were talking more along the lines of literary characters when you're reading a book and thinking "oh I'm just like them," like how I compare myself to say Anna Karenina and then think oh crap, I should not have done that considering I know her fate. :tape:

Cajka
Dec 30th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Do you want to be married with kids? If not, why are you bothered? I don't think there's anything wrong with choosing a career that you prefer than one that's prestigious but you'd hate. There are so many doctors like that out there and you can really tell they're just doing it for the money/prestige.

I have not really compared myself to real life people. I thought you were talking more along the lines of literary characters when you're reading a book and thinking "oh I'm just like them," like how I compare myself to say Anna Karenina and then think oh crap, I should not have done that considering I know her fate. :tape:

The main character in Karenina is Levin, try to identify yourself with him. :lol: Anyway, they are practically the same character, but Levin didn't kill himself in the end.