BlackPanther.
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Expected. :shrug:

Bronx19
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Welcome to the real world.

simonsaystennis
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Was expecting one of the sets to be closer. Ashleigh :hug: Still a ways to go, but every match at this level is a great experience.

Good job Vania :bounce:

Six Feet Under
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:36 AM
should have taken a more respectable amount of game against King :shrug:

Maybe, King can be a giant killer, maybe she just played GOAT.

I mean if Holland is getting a good scoreline against Dushevina and Adamczak has a close 3 setter against Tatishvili, I'm sure Barty can win matches at this level.

casholic
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Most exciting junior :worship:

Wojtek
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:41 AM
it shows the level of ITFs in Australia and all Dellacqua wins in the autumn.

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Hm...what a disappointment.:tape: I was seriously believing she is quite good after watching her a little during the AO playoff but losing to Vania with this scoreline.:o

Elwin.
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:43 AM
NID, well done Vania :yeah:

TimeyWimey
Dec 30th, 2011, 07:08 AM
not that bad for Barty, I remember most of the games went to deuce before Vania won the GP

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM
3 games :o ouch

Bluish
Dec 30th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Back to reality :unsure:

Beat
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Just not a kind draw.

oh come on, it's not like she had to play one of the favourites to win this tournament.

thegreendestiny
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:22 AM
The future of WTA :worship:

claypova
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:26 AM
oh come on, it's not like she had to play one of the favourites to win this tournament.

Vania King is the top seed :unsure:

Sombrerero loco
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:01 AM
NID, vania is the better player.barty too overhyped here

deliverance.
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I knew. Barty is overrated.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:07 AM

Vania was playing top 30 tennis at the end of last year though--3rd round at the US Open, wins over Bartoli and Pavlyuchenkova...it wouldn't surprise me if she is picking up right where she left off. This was quite possibly the worst draw Barty could have gotten in this QD. Yes, she got flogged, but she's 15 and has never played a top 100 player before, let alone one who is very much in form. Onward and upward from here.

Langers
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Hmmm, pretty bad.

plokploky
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Hopefully King can end her title drought this year and get some good wins.
Barty is just too young:sad:

Bourbon
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Guys, getting three games against Vania isn't a good result :lol: Vania has almost no weapon to win a match, her shots are everything but not heavy :shrug:
Happy Barty got this loss, it will help her even more than a win :)

Juju Nostalgique
Dec 30th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Remember Viele beaten by another Asian American (Jane Chi IIRC)? :tape:

Tennisfan06
Dec 30th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Hopefully this big hype goes down now. This is reality!

Israel
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:16 AM
And I thought Barty would win. But this is quite a bad loss.

sammy01
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:44 AM
lol overrated, 16 in 4 months and barely getting games off vania, deffo next henin lol

Linguae^
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Vania must have been good, I love her new form, keep it up!

GoLdEnSeToV
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Expected:)

Vania, good job:)

Lachy
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:09 PM

dok-stos
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:32 PM
She did well to win three games.
Let's not forget at the 2009 US Open, Vania beat '2011 US Open champion' Sam Stosur who was seeded 15 at the time.
I don't rate it that badly.
More experience for the future :cheer:

anthonyqld
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:42 PM
The match was a lot closer than the scoreline indicates.

About 2/3 of the crowd left after the first set for some reason.

Her former NAB teammates Aleksa Cveticanin and Rachel Tredoux were there watching her.

iPatty
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Henin Jr. :hug:

eddyhanty
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I'm surprised this was so one-sided..

misty1
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM
this is a surprise

JJ's biatch
Dec 30th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Vania :woohoo: Keep it up!

Sammo
Dec 30th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Booo!

madmax
Dec 30th, 2011, 01:14 PM
hopefully this result will cool down Bartymaniacs a bit...next Henin my hairy arse:devil:

hdfb
Dec 30th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I know it sounds bad but it was her first ever match at this level. I'm sure she was nervous as heck.

Batemant
Dec 30th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Excuses. The match was EXACTLY as close as the scoreline indicates.

BlueTrees
Dec 30th, 2011, 01:40 PM
People are a bit silly laughing at her and calling her overhyped. Wait until she sucks for 4 years like Robson and then you can do such things. :wavey:

Xian
Dec 30th, 2011, 01:48 PM
that result reminds me somehow one the epic match Monique Viele vs Jane Chi

Smitten
Dec 30th, 2011, 02:45 PM
And they said this girl was such as talented, if not more, than Legend.

What a joke. 3 games to King. Get out of here.

Juju Nostalgique
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:01 PM
that result reminds me somehow one the epic match Monique Viele vs Jane Chi

That's what I said! :p

eDonkey
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Happy Barty got this loss, it will help her even more than a win :)

To find another job?:lol:

Xian
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:47 PM
That's what I said! :p

:lol: just saw it ;)

the jamierbelyea
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Thankfully from what I know of Ashleigh, she's a humble sweet girl, who likely would've cringed from all the posters here saying that her draw was "brilliant," and thinking the match was essentially in her hands alone, if she played her best.

She's a humble sweet girl, and I'm sure she's not devastated by this, if anything it'll motivate her to keep working.

Papillon.
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:54 PM
What the fuck is wrong with you people? Seriously? She's 15. It absolutely astounds me how much people love to be "right" about something that was utterly and completely likely (that she would get comfortably beaten by an "in-form" top 100 player).

Where are all of the other players her age? Don't give me the "PEOPLE SAY SHE'S SO TALENTED" crap. It's obvious that she is. Talent alone doesn't win you matches in this day and age against consistent players who have been around the block professionally, and some of the write-off hyperbole in here is disgusting. Christ, I usually know better than to get pressed by this forum but some of you are so narrow-minded and obnoxious. :lol: It's difficult to find a place on the internet that acts as more of a negative collective that exists to bash everything and everyone relevant to the purpose of its existence.

Papillon.
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I know it sounds bad but it was her first ever match at this level. I'm sure she was nervous as heck.

Actually, she lost to Glushko at the US Open in qualifying. She's obviously improved a ton since then, but no, that doesn't 'sound bad' at all. Some of the people here are like hyenas.

sammy01
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:05 PM
What the fuck is wrong with you people? Seriously? She's 15. It absolutely astounds me how much people love to be "right" about something that was utterly and completely likely (that she would get comfortably beaten by an "in-form" top 100 player).

Where are all of the other players her age? Don't give me the "PEOPLE SAY SHE'S SO TALENTED" crap. It's obvious that she is. Talent alone doesn't win you matches in this day and age against consistent players who have been around the block professionally, and some of the write-off hyperbole in here is disgusting. Christ, I usually know better than to get pressed by this forum but some of you are so narrow-minded and obnoxious. :lol: It's difficult to find a place on the internet that acts as more of a negative collective that exists to bash everything and everyone relevant to the purpose of its existence.

working their way through ITF tournaments because their country cant hand out wildcards to anyone with a ranking.

she didn't deserve to be in the qualifying draw here and got her ass handed to her like she was always going to. the bullshit excuse about gaining experience is tosh, she should go play 10k and 25k's around the world, where conditions are tough, players are desperate to win. now that is the kind of experience a wildcard cant buy.

Papillon.
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:13 PM
working their way through ITF tournaments because their country cant hand out wildcards to anyone with a ranking.

she didn't deserve to be in the qualifying draw here and got her ass handed to her like she was always going to. the bullshit excuse about gaining experience is tosh, she should go play 10k and 25k's around the world, where conditions are tough, players are desperate to win. now that is the kind of experience a wildcard cant buy.

Except it's not a 'bullshit excuse' and it's a good opportunity to gain some points, should she happen to make good on the potential that she has. Don't front like you're some all-knowing oracle who KNEW 100% the result would turn out like this; you're just on a high horse because this gave you some sense of validation. :lol:

My point was that the other players from her birthyear (sans Townsend) aren't even ranked where she is. I don't know why she didn't deserve a wildcard into the qualifying draw and you didn't really provide a reason to back up that statement. Qualifying wildcards are given by tournament organisers to young, promising players and she fits the bill perfectly on both accounts. If you're going to flat-out deny that she could've performed better today based on the fact that the level of play she's displayed prior to this INDICATES that she could have, you're ignorant.

I think she DID deserve to be in the qualifying draw here. If you have a problem with the most promising junior a country has being given one wildcard into the qualifying draw of one of their tournaments after she wins eleven matches in a row in unofficial leadup matches (winning a spot fair-and-square into a Grand Slam in the process), that's not really something specific to Barty herself, as offering wildcard spots to promising players who have displayed potential is something that happens fairly often. Arguing the general idea of allowing young/promising players to cut corners by offering a couple of wildcards is something that is left up to subjectivity anyway, and I don't think you're really in any position to trivialise the 'gaining of experience' since your opinion is just that, an opinion. I don't think you personally know how much insight a player can gain, the benchmarks that can be set and the lessons that can be learned from being given a shot at competing at a level higher than what they are accustomed to (at 15 years old..........).

Barktra
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:13 PM
:yeah:

sammy01
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Except it's not a 'bullshit excuse' and it's a good opportunity to gain some points, should she happen to make good on the potential that she has. Don't front like you're some all-knowing oracle who KNEW 100% the result would turn out like this; you're just on a high horse because this gave you some sense of validation. :lol:

My point was that the other players from her birthyear (sans Townsend) aren't even ranked where she is. I don't know why she didn't deserve a wildcard into the qualifying draw and you didn't really provide a reason to back up that statement. Qualifying wildcards are given by tournament organisers to young, promising players and she fits the bill perfectly on both accounts. If you're going to flat-out deny that she could've performed better today based on the fact that the level of play she's displayed prior to this INDICATES that she could have, you're ignorant.

I think she DID deserve to be in the qualifying draw here. If you have a problem with the most promising junior a country has being given one wildcard into the qualifying draw of one of their tournaments after she wins eleven matches in a row in unofficial leadup matches (winning a spot fair-and-square into a Grand Slam in the process), that's not really something specific to Barty herself as it's something that happens fairly often. Arguing the general idea of allowing young/promising players to cut corners by offering a couple of wildcards is something that is left up to subjectivity anyway, and I don't think you're really in any position to trivialise the 'gaining of experience' since your opinion is just that, an opinion.

how is the pampering of brisbane qualies going to give her experience for playing random 10k's and 25k's she will need to up her ranking? will it help her to deal with sleeping in a grotty hotels in a timezone and language you aren't familiar with? will it help her to deal with the cut throat world of lower level tennis where every advantage is taken? will it make her hard as nails and a super competitor?

she is outside the top 500, she shouldn't be in premier qualies, no matter what country she is from. if she goes away, travels, works hard and ups her ranking to 250 and then gets a wildcard then so be it.

laura robson has desperately tried to be fast tracked into wta tennis this past 3 years with stupid wildcards ect and that has left her with a career high of 130-something 3 and a half years later. she also lacks the grit and match play a normal 17 year old gains building their way upto that sort of ranking.

barty may be talented but she is ranked 500+ for a reason and that cant just be ignored because certain people have declared her as talented.

BlueTrees
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Oh please. Would you like me to make a list of all the wildcards Laura Robson has wasted? :lol: She's 18 and isn't even Top 100. Not that impressive for a girl that was supposed to be some sort of superstar. :wavey:

Papillon.
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I think you are overreacting. I really doubt she will try to fast-track herself onto the circuit a la Robson. If you actually look a little closer at the sequence of events it makes a lot of sense that she even played here. She entered the Optus 18s tournament, which was WELL beneath her actual level, and which she did just for match practice, and to EARN a spot into the Aussie Open MDWC play-off. She ended up winning that and entering the play-off, which put her with many girls who were above her in terms of ranking but not in skill level, resulting in her winning the event (which she was not expected to do). This put her at a higher level than one at which she had been before: the main draw of a Grand Slam.

It is every player's dream to play in a Grand Slam, and I don't think she should sacrifice the spot that she EARNED through eleven matches (none of which she lost a set in) just because she didn't earn her way into the spot based purely on ranking. There was NO certainty that she was going to get swept aside by King and what was primarily bothering me was that because of some sense of validation, people think anyone who believed she wasn't going to is foolish. Anyway, she got her spot in the Slam, which JUMPS her from playing against struggling journeywoman in the something-hundreds to the best of the best.

She has to play some more matches at this level to at least prepare her for THAT experience. Which ITFs could she play? The one in Quanzhou this week, on a different surface, in different conditions, that puts her worse off in her preparation for the biggest match of her career that she earned the right to play based on wildcard conditions? No. Instead, she's maximising her match play heading into the Open by taking a qualifying wildcard into a Premier event and a main draw wildcard in an International event. Before you start getting all pressed and on her case for cutting corners via wildcards, wait until what happens after the Australian Open. There's no indication so far that any of her scheduling hasn't been smart. She is not cutting corners on account of TA's generosity. She earned her place into the Australian Open because they give one wildcard to one winner of a play-off of 16 women, and she is trying to build up her WTA-level match play to at least prepare her for THAT event.

I strongly believe she WILL go back to ITFs after this, based on the kind of person she seems to be (her demeanor and attitude), and statements made by Tennis Australia themselves regarding her development. Spending one month at WTA level is indicative of nothing, and I think it WILL be a good learning experience for her. I absolutely agree she should build her ranking up, but I don't see why she should avoid this part of the season altogether despite having earned the right to play in a Grand Slam. She probably had a bad day today, and I believe she underperformed, which wasn't to be unexpected. Just wait before you write this off as a HORRIBLE, DETRIMENTAL idea, because given the fact that she's due to play in the Australian Open, aside from playing Auckland this week there wasn't a lot else she could have done better.

sammy01
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Oh please. Would you like me to make a list of all the wildcards Laura Robson has wasted? :lol: She's 18 and isn't even Top 100. Not that impressive for a girl that was supposed to be some sort of superstar. :wavey:

yeah and? i don't like robson and she didn't deserve half the wildcards she got. it is not surprise that watson has strode ahead of her, having ground out challenger results, then wta qualifying ect.

just cus i'm british doesn't mean i like robson or think she deserves all she has got. though i know u aren't very smart so that might be hard for you to get your head round :wavey:

Papillon.
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I agree with the general point you're making regarding experienced gained grinding matches out against players from the bottom of the ITF circuit up being MUCH more valuable for development. I just think that in this case, there was no blatancy of cutting corners, and the fact that she even found herself in the main draw of a Grand Slam was something that not even she expected going onto the 11 match journey there, entering the Optus 18s event, in which most of the participants don't even have WTA rankings.

Neither the wildcard into the Aussie play-off nor the subsequent AO wildcard itself were discretionary. She did nothing but win from a level of professional nonentities to get into the AO, and she's just molding her schedule to prepare her for that, hopefully before it's back to the drawing board for her and she goes and plays some ITFs and gets some real experience (not that she can even play many of those, being 15). The tournament organisers can afford to give her the two wildcards she got.

The worst wildcard she's gotten to date was into the US Open qualifying event, and frankly I'm a little bit worried already about Roland Garros. I really hope she gets into RG on her own merit with some good claycourt results if she plays there at all, but I don't see it happening due to her lack of skill on the surface and her limited schedule.

BlueTrees
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:58 PM
yeah and? i don't like robson and she didn't deserve half the wildcards she got. it is not surprise that watson has strode ahead of her, having ground out challenger results, then wta qualifying ect.

just cus i'm british doesn't mean i like robson or think she deserves all she has got. though i know u aren't very smart so that might be hard for you to get your head round :wavey:

Well I'm sure if Tara Moore or Yasmin Clarke got a WC for an event above a $25,000 qualies then it would probably be the highlight of their career life. :wavey:

sammy01
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I think you are overreacting. I really doubt she will try to fast-track herself onto the circuit a la Robson. If you actually look a little closer at the sequence of events it makes a lot of sense that she even played here. She entered the Optus 18s tournament, which was WELL beneath her actual level, and which she did just for match practice, and to EARN a spot into the Aussie Open MDWC play-off. She ended up winning that and entering the play-off, which put her with many girls who were above her in terms of ranking but not in skill level, resulting in her winning the event (which she was not expected to do). This put her at a higher level than one at which she had been before: the main draw of a Grand Slam.

It is every player's dream to play in a Grand Slam, and I don't think she should sacrifice the spot that she EARNED through eleven matches (none of which she lost a set in) just because she didn't earn her way into the spot based purely on ranking. There was NO certainty that she was going to get swept aside by King and what was primarily bothering me was that because of some sense of validation, people think anyone who believed she wasn't going to is foolish. Anyway, she got her spot in the Slam, which JUMPS her from playing against struggling journeywoman in the something-hundreds to the best of the best.

She has to play some more matches at this level to at least prepare her for THAT experience. Which ITFs could she play? The one in Quanzhou this week, on a different surface, in different conditions, that puts her worse off in her preparation for the biggest match of her career that she earned the right to play based on wildcard conditions? No. Instead, she's maximising her match play heading into the Open by taking a qualifying wildcard into a Premier event and a main draw wildcard in an International event. Before you start getting all pressed and on her case for cutting corners via wildcards, wait until what happens after the Australian Open. There's no indication so far that any of her scheduling hasn't been smart. She is not cutting corners on account of TA's generosity. She earned her place into the Australian Open because they give one wildcard to one winner of a play-off of 16 women, and she is trying to build up her WTA-level match play to at least prepare her for THAT event.

I strongly believe she WILL go back to ITFs after this, based on the kind of person she seems to be (her demeanor and attitude), and statements made by Tennis Australia themselves regarding her development. Spending one month at WTA level is indicative of nothing, and I think it WILL be a good learning experience for her. I absolutely agree she should build her ranking up, but I don't see why she should avoid this part of the season altogether despite having earned the right to play in a Grand Slam. She probably had a bad day today, and I believe she underperformed, which wasn't to be unexpected. Just wait before you write this off as a HORRIBLE, DETRIMENTAL idea, because given the fact that she's due to play in the Australian Open, aside from playing Auckland this week there wasn't a lot else she could have done better.

if she doesn't win anything she will have to. though how you can say us open -qwc, brisbane - qwc, hobart - mdwc, oz open - mdwc is not trying to fast track her when she is 544 in the world is laughable. that is a top 150 players schedule.

the fact that the only tournament i can see she has ever played outside of oz is us open qualies shows there isn't the hard work going into traveling around the world playing 10 and 25k tournaments to up her ranking, just hoping for the big jump.

lets not forget her ranking is also only based on the very weak 25k's in australia. these are very different to the tough as nails 25ks that are in europe.

Aaron.
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:02 PM

she didn't deserve to be in the qualifying draw here and got her ass handed to her like she was always going to. the bullshit excuse about gaining experience is tosh, she should go play 10k and 25k's around the world, where conditions are tough, players are desperate to win. now that is the kind of experience a wildcard cant buy. Life ain't fair dude. What the hell is she supposed to do? Deny the wildcard :spit: You don't know what you're talking about. I don't see a problem with Australia giving promising juniors wildcards.

Papillon.
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Because the latter three are not trying to fast-track her. You're ignoring the fact that she earned the Australian Open wildcard (and her place to even participate in the AO WC play-off) via passages that were already put in place. I conceded that the US Open wildcard was ridiculous, Wimbledon title or no Wimbledon title. I think it's extremely plausible that bigger events will give her undeserved WCs based off of talent rather than merit, but I don't want it to happen and I don't SEE it happening. She is not delusional and neither is Tennis Australia. Wait and see what happens after this month. I don't know why you think she should already have international tournaments primarily counting toward her ranking at this point when she is just 15 and is still under fairly strict scheduling limitations (and it's not as though she didn't play internationally... she won a junior Slam on another continent). It's far easier for her to compete in events closer to home and much less of an expense. They are obviously working a lot on training her at this point.

sammy01
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Life ain't fair dude. What the hell is she supposed to do? Deny the wildcard :spit: You don't know what you're talking about. I don't see a problem with Australia giving promising juniors wildcards.

they can give them to former top players, aussie players who have at least worked to get a ranking up high.

Papillon.
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Except that is more wasteful than giving a wildcard to Barty. She's not just hype... she took out all of her other compatriots who are supposed to be at her 'level' and earned her place into a Slam. They're just giving her the proper lead-up to it. Seriously, where else could she go to prepare? Quanzhou? Or should she just not play? What's the point in that?

brickhousesupporter
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:07 PM
This girl can still possibly be a legend, as it is just one match. Afterall, didn't Serena lose her first match 6-1, 6-1? I don't know enough about her game to say she will become the next Henin or whaterver her fanatics on here have ascribed to her. BTW, it is usually the players that don't get the establishment hype that go on to be the great players.

Petkorazzi
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:07 PM
:lol: at some posters in here. She's playing AO MD in 2 weeks for God's sake! She needs to play Brisbane & Sydney/Hobart because Dellacqua's the best player she's ever played till now and she needs to get used to the top players, the somewhat big stage, because if she draws Serena or some top player, she might easily be put on night session Rod Laver and we all remember how that worked out for Lukasevicz in 2005.

Her camp is really smart and they clearly aren't letting her burn out at an early age (she barely played between Wimbledon and Aussie summer). She'll probably play a mix of junior and ITF tourneys after this. :)

Papillon.
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:11 PM
The journey to her participation in the AO started with her playing in a bloody U18s tournament with girls who were MUCH worse than her. :lol: The only thing she can be faulted on ATM management-wise is the fact that playing three tournaments in one month doesn't leave her many for the remainder of the year.

BlueTrees
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:12 PM
the fact that the only tournament i can see she has ever played outside of oz is us open qualies shows there isn't the hard work going into traveling around the world playing 10 and 25k tournaments to up her ranking, just hoping for the big jump.

Are you kidding me? OBVIOUSLY players who are ranked outside the Top 500 and are not financially secure are going to play in the events closest to them where possible. :weirdo:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:35 PM
The journey to her participation in the AO started with her playing in a bloody U18s tournament with girls who were MUCH worse than her. :lol: The only thing she can be faulted on ATM management-wise is the fact that playing three tournaments in one month doesn't leave her many for the remainder of the year.

She had only played one other pro tournament since turning 15 in April (US Open qualies). Even after Hobart and AO, she'll have at least 6 left until April and will almost definitely be playing some of the Aussie 25K's right after.

Papillon.
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Ahh, I was under the impression it goes by calendar year and not the 12 months subsequent to turning another year older. :lol: Silly me.

Bourbon
Dec 30th, 2011, 07:11 PM

About 2/3 of the crowd left after the first set for some reason.

Her former NAB teammates Aleksa Cveticanin and Rachel Tredoux were there watching her.

Just excuses :shrug:
Three games against Vania King is everything but not good :oh:

burn
Dec 30th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Ashley :sad:

jj74
Dec 30th, 2011, 07:47 PM
What a drama about nothing.
Barty is a really good junior, but she is 15 and not exactly tall.
What's the problem with the AO wc? i know she earned, but even if it wasn't i can't see the problem, it would be a wc for a very promising girl in her home GS. There are a lot of wc on GS who are more dubious that this.
And frankly, mocking a 15 girl for a loss is quite pathetic, even the greatest players had heavy loses when they started to play

So Disrespectful
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:51 PM
This really says nothing about Barty other than she was probably nervous. :shrug: It's not like King is an easy task for any 15 year old.

ranfurly
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:34 PM

I think you'll have an awesome career as a TV Evangelist, you waffle on like one.

ranfurly
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:37 PM
This girl can still possibly be a legend, as it is just one match. Afterall, didn't Serena lose her first match 6-1, 6-1? I don't know enough about her game to say she will become the next Henin or whaterver her fanatics on here have ascribed to her. BTW, it is usually the players that don't get the establishment hype that go on to be the great players.

exactly. People are already digging her grave prematurely.

carpe diem

anthonyqld
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:49 PM

Absolutely stuns me, the way people carry on. She's playing in the AO, which she earnt. TA can't just now exclude her from all pre-AO tournaments. And I don't seem them abusing the other Aussie players that lost 1st round of qualies against players ranked lower than King.

Papillon.
Dec 30th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I think you'll have an awesome career as a TV Evangelist, you waffle on like one.

LMAO. Stay pressed because I called you out in the other thread. Creepy old man. :lol:

ranfurly
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:04 PM
LMAO. Stay pressed because I called you out in the other thread. Creepy old man. :lol:

:lol: oh yeah, you sure got me there! :lol::lol: Man, was I humiliated and embarrassed due to your presence, how will life go on? oh woe is me, I shall rush out and purchase Sylvia Plath to alleviate such suffering and degradation.

No chance against Vania, was going to let this one through anyway, wait and see what happens in the Aussie Open 1R, no doubt we'll have to watch the diatribe on Fox/Nine/Sky Sports when theres a potentially better match unfolding.

ranfurly
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Absolutely stuns me, the way people carry on. She's playing in the AO, which she earnt. TA can't just now exclude her from all pre-AO tournaments. And I don't seem them abusing the other Aussie players that lost 1st round of qualies against players ranked lower than King.

Simple, she's been hyped/glorified/placed on the tabernacle. therefore when given this reputation, people expect to see the reputation reflected in her results.

Isn't fair but...cest la vie.

I didn't know she had a bit of native in her either

anthonyqld
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Simple, she's been hyped/glorified/placed on the tabernacle. therefore when given this reputation, people expect to see the reputation reflected in her results.

Isn't fair but...cest la vie.

I didn't know she had a bit of native in her either

Neither she nor TA gave any indication Ash was going to win the match. Certain "journalists" (and it's in quotes for a reason) talked her up like she was going to win the Aussie Open, but that isn't her fault. Watch her yourself to form your opinion, don't get your opinion by clueless media.

Kooyong
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Now now are people claiming that the Aussie media and Tennis fans have over hyped an up and comer. nah its never happened before.

Only yesterday poor Andy Murray was leaving the airport only to be asked by some Aussie journo about Tomic and because he replied that Tomic is a good player, the journo claimed that the top players consider Tomic a threat.

Vania is a proven player and Barty is still young, I would have been more surprised if Barty had actually won.

ranfurly
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Neither she nor TA gave any indication Ash was going to win the match. Certain "journalists" (and it's in quotes for a reason) talked her up like she was going to win the Aussie Open, but that isn't her fault. Watch her yourself to form your opinion, don't get your opinion by clueless media.

No it's not her fault at all.

You know what it's like with the media however, powerful as such to manipulate how people perceive certain players.

You have a hot new prospect, expect there to be media attention expecting miracles from her.

It's how the cookie crumbles.

I've only seen clips of her play, there's potential it seems.

ranfurly
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Now now are people claiming that the Aussie media and Tennis fans have over hyped an up and comer. nah its never happened before.

Only yesterday poor Andy Murray was leaving the airport only to be asked by some Aussie journo about Tomic and because he replied that Tomic is a good player, the journo claimed that the top players consider Tomic a threat.

Vania is a proven player and Barty is still young, I would have been more surprised if Barty had actually won.

The loss will be good for her.

If she had won it, then kudos for her. anyone with common sense wouldn't of expected her to win.

Big step up playing in these events from the ones she previously has played.

HeninFan_2008
Jan 9th, 2012, 01:09 AM
King just beat the future Steffi+ GOAT.