PDA

View Full Version : question about ranking system....

martinafan
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I'm a bit confused with the current system, and which tournaments count or don't count in a players rankings.

I know that GS's, Premier Mandatory's and 2 of the Premier 5's have to count in top 20 players rankings, but aren't there different requirements for those in the top 10?

What about people that are ranked outside the top 50 or so and don't get into the premier mandatory/premier 5 events?

I'm just trying to compile an excel spreadsheet of people's results over the last 12 months, but the totals i'm getting for some people don't match the totals published on the wta ranking sheet, hence the questions!

Thanks!

legionmx
Dec 29th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Basically, you put GS, Premiere Mandatory and Championships first. Then you fill with the best results until you have 16 tournaments for each player. Add them up and you have the grand total.

For Top 20 player, before filling till 16, you should put their best two results at Premier 5's, regardless if they are lower than other tournaments.

That is my understanding of the ranking system. There is a thread where user The Boiled Egg is always tracking the rankings. Maybe you could find further answers there:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=17302760

Meelis
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:51 AM
What about people that are ranked outside the top 50 or so and don't get into the premier mandatory/premier 5 events?

If player is not ranked high enough for the direct acceptance into mandatory tournament, then she does not have to play that event and some other result will count for the ranking instead.

martinafan
Dec 30th, 2011, 07:16 AM
If player is not ranked high enough for the direct acceptance into mandatory tournament, then she does not have to play that event and some other result will count for the ranking instead.

That's what i thought....is there someway I can go back and look up if someone was ranked high enough at the time or not?

For instance, if I look back i notice that Lucie Hradecka didn't play the Mandatory Madrid event. How can I find out if she didn't play cause she wasn't high enough and therefore gets a replacement event OR just missed it so must get a zero score?

Thanks for the help so far!

bobito
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:32 AM
That's what i thought....is there someway I can go back and look up if someone was ranked high enough at the time or not?

For instance, if I look back i notice that Lucie Hradecka didn't play the Mandatory Madrid event. How can I find out if she didn't play cause she wasn't high enough and therefore gets a replacement event OR just missed it so must get a zero score?

Thanks for the help so far!

They can't just miss out the event. From the WTA Rulebook: "All players who by actual ranking qualify for acceptance into the Main Draw of a Premier Mandatory Tournament will be entered automatically. All players who by actual ranking qualify for acceptance into the Main Draw of any Grand Slam will be entered automatically."

If a player wasn't entered in a Grand Slam or Premier Mandatory then it's safe to conclude that they either didn't qualify or were injured. The only exception that I know of is the Williams sisters who refuse to play Indian Wells. If the player entered a different tournament in the same week as a slam or MP then you can be sure that they didn't qualify.

If you want to know for sure who did and didn't qualify, look up the draws on the WTA website. Under Tournaments select 2012 Tournament Calender. At the top of the page are a couple of drop down menus that enable you to select the tournament and year to see the draw. Take this example:

http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/Draws/2011/902.pdf

At the very bottom of the singles main draw it tells you the Last Direct Acceptance and their ranking (in the above case Virginie Razzano 83). Anyone ranked lower at the time would not have received a zero pointer.