PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams has designs on decorating business

TSequoia01
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Venus Williams has designs on decorating business

By BETH HARRIS
.c The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Venus Williams has designs on more than being one of the world's top tennis players. She's already looking toward the day when she puts down her racket for good.

Williams has started an interior design and decorating company called ``V Starr Interiors,'' a play on her full name of Venus Ebony Starr Williams.

``It's the way I was brought up to always plan for the future,'' she said. ``I love planning and I love putting things together. That's just what I do well.''

The Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.-based company isn't just a vanity project for the two-time Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion, who finished the season as the No. 2 player behind younger sister Serena.

As V Starr's president and chief executive officer, Williams is involved at every level.

She began a business plan in April and introduced the company Tuesday during a news conference at the Pacific Design Center.

Unlike most struggling entrepreneurs, Williams has a solid financial base, having earned more than $10 million in prize money and millions more in endorsements since turning pro in 1994.

She designed the company logo, which features a looping V, and decorated its offices. She'll earn an associate's degree in fashion design from the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale next year, and she was certified as an interior decorator this year.

She deals with the hassles as well. She stepped in when the printer messed up her business cards and she fired the company that worked on a folder given to potential clients.

``It was a whole learning curve,'' she said.

Williams has dabbled in design since 1999, doing free-lance interior decorating for friends and family and designing a line of leather and suede clothing for the Wilson's Leather chain.

As a globe-trotting tennis player, Williams developed an eye for detail and design while staying in fancy hotels, shopping at pricey stores and visiting historical places. She's learned to recognize the finer things, whether it's fabric or fashion.

``You can't fool me anymore,'' she said. ``I can tell if it's cheap.''

She decided Palm Beach Gardens and its wealthy citizenry was the perfect place to set up shop. She's going after high-end clients who will trust her company to design a home and buy and install the furnishings. V Starr already has two clients.

``Sometimes people don't have a clue what they want or they can't do it themselves. That's where I come in and I make it happen,'' she said. ``A lot of people think it is just picking the fabric or a sofa, but there's a lot more that goes into it.''

Her favorite color is green, although she favors bold colors like red and royal blue, and wouldn't dream of covering a sofa in silk if a client has pets that like to jump on the furniture.

``It's hard to say a design is wrong, but if it doesn't function correctly, then it's wrong,'' she said. ``If you place your bed in front of the window, that's wrong.''

Williams isn't going it alone. She solicited resumes on the Internet and interviewed potential design directors before hiring Bonnie Nathan, who was already running her own company in Boca Raton.

``If I don't understand something, I say I don't understand or I ask Bonnie later,'' Williams said, giggling.

``I've already learned a great deal from her,'' Nathan said. ``She is wonderful with people, knows what she wants, makes good decisions and has a passion for design.''

Nathan and others will incorporate Williams' ideas into the actual designs and do the day-to-day work when Williams is at tournaments.

While sister Serena pursues an acting career in her spare time, Venus is happy to immerse herself in books on business management and design. Initially, Williams felt comfortable with her ability to design but was uneasy interviewing furniture and fabric vendors.

``I'm the kind of person that when I get into something, I have to know exactly how it's done or I'll feel embarrassed,'' she said. ``I did feel shy because maybe I didn't know as much as the next designer, but I've gotten over it.''

Way to go Girl you definitely are making your mark! :cool:

Infiniti2001
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Go on girl!!!

CHOCO
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:01 PM
That's fantastic! Once again, Venus is setting a trend. Congrats Queen V. :)

PhoenixStorm
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:20 PM
Venus Rocks! Maybe one day I will be able to afford her services!

Jeff
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Venus is amazing :D

Uxobi
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:48 PM
OMG, You go Venus!!!

Success both on and off the court!

tennisIlove09
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Venus: you are AMAZING. Best of luck in your business. I know it will go well!

Rocketta
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Yeah Venus definitely has her head on straight! Way to go! :D

Greenout
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Does V Starr Interiors have a website?

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Greenout
Does V Starr Interiors have a website?

Great question...I think I will check...Wish I knew she was interviewing...Imagine V as my boss...Abuse me baby...:bounce: :bounce: I would never be late for work...:o:o

GogoGirl
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Needless to say - Venus will have a successful career when she hangs up her rackets. It is good to see that she has another one (racket) already lined up. She is just toooooo much. Gone Venus. Nuff said!

lizchris
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:19 AM
I am happy that Venus has a new business venture, but at the same time I am sad because I think this signals that she may retire soon. I hope I am wrong.

Freewoman33
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:29 AM
Amazing! I wish you the best of luck young.

I am so proud of Venus and Serena. They are such high achievers. I commend their parents for installing good positive values in them.

Rubylips
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:06 AM
So true, to all that was said here.Wish you all the luck in the world.Our girl"S could leave tennis, today &still be A Queens ,princess.THEY NEVER HAVE TO WIN A sLAM OR GAME IN THEIR LIFE..

Venus Forever
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:27 AM
I AM SOOOOO PROUD OF YOU VENUS!!

KEEO UP THE GOOD WORK!!:D:D:D:D:D

"Topaz"
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:27 AM
Carry on, Vee. The other players should follow suit in their own capacities. I wonder what Arantxa has in mind!

HAIL-VENUS
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:00 AM
Oh Venus, you have a wonderful mind. Venus and Serena are inspirations for everyone. They are true "go getters". They aren't afraid to try new things and venture out and experience everything that the world has to offer them. I'm so proud, and maybe one day I'll take a cue from them and start doing something that I love. :kiss:

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW BUSINESS VENUS. I HOPE YOU HAVE LOADS OF SUCCESS AND HAPPINESS!!!

HAIL-VENUS
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:18 AM
Hey, stole this from "Planet Venus"

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021112/capt.1037137478.designing_venus_jmb102.jpg

BasicTennis
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:01 AM
smart girl.:)

Raisin
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Go Queen Vee, wish all the best:kiss:

anton
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:24 AM
hope business go well venus!! :)

V.S.
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:14 PM
I posted this info. back in April in the Williams Sisters Forum.

Terms for contacting Job Postings on InteriorDesignJobs.com
*Please be aware the job listings submitted to www.InteriorDesignJobs.com are advertised for the sole purpose of being contacted directly by Professional Interior Design Candidates.
Company Name/Address Phone: 561 3018677 No Soliciting Please
V Starr Interior Design Fax: 561 7993441
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida 33418 Email: tmrecap@aol.com

Position Information

Job Title Project Designer
Job Description: When responding to this opportunity PLEASE INDICATE you are responding to job posting # 1350F on InteriorDesignJobs.com
New interior design firm looking for a EXPERIENCED interior designer with strong design abilities.
KNOWLEDGE OF BUSINESS PRACTICES OF INTERIOR DESIGN REQUIRED.
Project Designer will be responsible for the development of client relationships and executing design jobs from initial contact to installation.
Responsibilities also include space planning, furniture planning, specification and preparation of achitectual work drawings.
Must be motivated with the ability to work on several projects at a time.
Looking for designers interested in opportunity to grow with the company. Travel may be required.

Categories: Residential
Design Management
Commercial

Employment Type Full Time
Location West Palm Beach, Florida
Salary upon request -
Education BS or BA in Interior Design. Must be licenced in state of FL . 5+ Years of experience required. Ability to sketch interiors and interior products. Residential experience required, commerical experience desired. Interior design management experience critical. Having owned and managed own firm a plus.
Company Profile V Starr Interiors is a new start up interior design firm in the intial develpment stages with goals to open in several cities across the US. V Starr Interiors is looking for an experienced interior designer to help lead and build a strong design team.
Computer Skills CAD Experience desired also Microsoft excel

calabar
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:21 PM
I dont'd know a damn thing about interior design, but I'm gonna apply any way. Just to get an interview with THE QUEEN would be worth it. Perhaps I could talking her into starting an Engineering firm. (LOL)

Calabar

Janet
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:46 PM
You know venus has it going on and serena too these girls sure know what they want out of life, and they are sure for people to look up to!! I know for me I will take a page from their book..........they certainly are great girls, and what a wonderful job their parents have done with this terrific family, will I always know these girls look smart & speak smart too, so good luck on your 2nd new career venus I know you wll conqure the design world too just like how you conqure the tennis world.................and I'm sure you will conqure many more avenue,CONGRAULATION ON YOUR NEW BUSINESS.............

servenrichie
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Yea, i am thinking of submitting an application and changing my profession!

Devon
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:11 PM
This is great, I wish her all the best.

My only concern is that she is going to get too excited about her own company, and she's going to forget about her tennis.

We'll she how she copes with two jobs at once.

Ah, Venus.... do you need a receptionist??

Uxobi
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Vee, I'll send you my resume'!!!!

locks
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:11 PM
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: That's so cool Venus is from another planet:kiss: Way too classy for earth:)

goshka
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:28 PM
I like Venus and wish her luck!

http://images.sportsline.com/u/reuters/photos/JMB1041112172.jpg

http://images.sportsline.com/u/reuters/photos/JMB1011112162.jpg

http://images.sportsline.com/u/reuters/photos/JMB1031112162.jpg

calabar
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Venus, are you teasing me?

tennisfan1972
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:46 PM
OMG i saw a segment on a news program about this Company. This woman is unbelievable.

on another note, i read something somewhere about a fan who shouted something to Sanchez-Vicario. Anybody know what was said? i cant find the thread. Sorry to the thread starter and posters to this forum.

Serendy Willick
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by tennisfan1972
OMG i saw a segment on a news program about this Company. This woman is unbelievable.

on another note, i read something somewhere about a fan who shouted something to Sanchez-Vicario. Anybody know what was said? i cant find the thread. Sorry to the thread starter and posters to this forum.

That was the dumbazz at Fed Cup. Aranxta was losing pretty bad to Husarova because she was injured and some guy yelled obsenities at her. WHAT A PRICK:mad: :fiery:
BTW, GO VENUS!!!:bounce: :bounce: