PDA

View Full Version : (2011) Biggest Women's Disappointment: Caroline Wozniacki

pov
Dec 28th, 2011, 02:49 PM
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/features.aspx?articleid=15497&zoneid=9
Biggest Women's Disappointment: Caroline Wozniacki
By Steve Tignor - Wednesday, December 28, 2011

She finished No. 1, and she won six titles and a tour-best 63 matches overall. How disappointing could Caroline Wozniacki’s 2011 have been? In the end, it was a bummer because the pressure and the expectations were so high, and she failed to live up to them when it mattered most.

The biggest question in women’s tennis as the year began was whether the player whom the WTA computer said was the best in the world could finally win one of the four biggest tournaments in the world. Wozniacki looked like she might shut all of the doubters up right away at the Australian Open, where she held a match point on Li Na to advance to the final. But she lost that point and that match, she left the court in tears, and she never threatened at a Slam again.

At Roland Garros, Wozniacki was hit off the court by talented head case Daniela Hantuchova. At Wimbledon, the diminutive Dominika Cibulkova did the same. At the Open, Wozniacki at least reached the semis, but there she put up only tepid resistance in a straight-set loss to Serena Williams.

What may have made it all worse is that by the end of the season, it appeared that Wozniacki had been passed in the “future of women’s tennis” sweepstakes by fellow youngster Petra Kvitova, who already has a Wimbledon title. All Wozniacki is left with is the same pressure that comes with being the woman whom the computer says is the best in the world.

—Steve Tignor

pov
Dec 28th, 2011, 02:53 PM
It's pathetic to see an experienced sportswriter fall into the idiocy of viewing the rankings as being a measure of "best in the world." Apparently Goebbels was correct.

Valanga
Dec 28th, 2011, 03:55 PM
She was above par till Miami (Dubai W, IW W, Doha F, AO SF, Miami 4R), had an average clay season (winning charleston and Brussels, got beaten by Goerges twice though). However, after the RG loss, she completely fell apart from then on (I know she then reached USO SF, so what? She was humiliated in the semifinal match, and it wasn't close to the AO SF she played earlier this year).

She could have done better IMO, at least she should concentrate in slams trying to get a GS final.

marineblue
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:45 PM
No doubt Wozniacki is the most 'disappointing' of all players for Kvitova fans:rolleyes:. If Kvitova managed to finish ranked ahead of her Woz would not be all that bad...:angel:

Monica_Rules
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Why would Kvitova fans be upset? She has a GS and the World Champs in her collection already

cranberry~
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:53 PM
It's pathetic to see an experienced sportswriter fall into the idiocy of viewing the rankings as being a measure of "best in the world." Apparently Goebbels was correct.

When Tignor, probably the best tennis observer in the world, talks that #1 and "the best in the world" terms are related, this forum's amateurs should better shut up and accept it as a given.:wavey:

Personally I don't like that repeated "computer" adjective, but whatever...

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:57 PM
When Tignor, probably the best tennis observer in the world, talks that #1 and "the best in the world" terms are related, this forum's amateurs should better shut up and accept it as a given.:wavey:

What troll are you? :angel:

marineblue
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:02 PM

Well, he's the best tennis observer for trolls like you. If Tignor writes that grass is blue in his next article will you buy into that as well?:lol:

cranberry~
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Well, he's the best tennis observer for trolls like you. If Tignor writes that grass is blue in his next article will you buy into that as well?:lol:
No, he's the best tennis observer for the real tennis fans like me. If you knew tennis you would have known that.

It amuses me how a writer is immediately called "an observer for trolls" only because he writes something that this forum's experts are not agree with.:lol:

Can anyone enlighten me if the average age of this forum's posters is above at least 15?

Hurley
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:21 PM
It's pathetic to see an experienced sportswriter fall into the idiocy of viewing the rankings as being a measure of "best in the world."

But...he doesn't. That's the point of his note. Read it carefully, every mention of it is prefaced by "the computer says/said is," thereby mocking the computer, as we all should.

So, Tignor, "probably the best tennis observer in the world" is pointing out she is ranked #1 but clearly not the best. Tignor fans should see that he is making fun of Woz and her ranking. Grass is blue!

sammy01
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM
But...he doesn't. That's the point of his note. Read it carefully, every mention of it is prefaced by "the computer says/said is," thereby mocking the computer, as we all should.

So, Tignor, "probably the best tennis observer in the world" is pointing out she is ranked #1 but clearly not the best. Tignor fans should see that he is making fun of Woz and her ranking. Grass is blue!

yep it was both a swipe at caro and the ranking system in one.

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM
yep it was both a swipe at caro and the ranking system in one.

Very Efficient this Tigor Geezer is!:eek:

cranberry~
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:35 PM

Yup. Only shows how allergic the haters are to see "the best player" close to her name. But there is no fire without smoke...

marineblue
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:38 PM

That pretty much sums up his and yours ability to analyse what's going on in the tennis world.:silly:

Brad[le]y.
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Yup. Only shows how allergic the haters are to see "the best player" close to her name. But there is no fire without smoke...

if she's the best player then how come lower ranked players can beat her so easily :confused:

bobito
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM

Oh Tea/WhatIf/Lol/Morning/Cranberry/insert next username here, you're not terribly bright are you? In referring to Wozniacki as "the player whom the WTA computer said was the best in the world," Tignor was being sarcastic. The implication being that she is far from the best in the World.

Personally I thought the article was a bit of a cheap shot but if you want to regard Tignor as "probably the best tennis observer in the World" then you presumably agree with his scathing view of Wozniacki.

marineblue
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:44 PM
No, he's the best tennis observer for the real tennis fans like me. If you knew tennis you would have known that.

It amuses me how a writer is immediately called "an observer for trolls" only because he writes something that this forum's experts are not agree with.:lol:

Can anyone enlighten me if the average age of this forum's posters is above at least 15?

No, he's the best observer for trolls. And, funny as it is the trolls often like to refer to themselves as 'real tennis fans'. The only real thing about you is that you talk nonsense endlessly because you cannot take that Caroline is the best player in the world and is more successful than your faves. Well, it's been a long time that she is on the top of tennis world, must be hard to take for you :oh:

Stonerpova
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:46 PM
So fucking tired of this shit. It's not even fun to hate on the Woz anymore. Just win a goddamn slam already so we can talk about something else.

cranberry~
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:55 PM
if she's the best player then how come lower ranked players can beat her so easily :confused:
In tennis lower ranked players never beat higher ranked ones? Ok then.

Oh Tea/WhatIf/Lol/Morning/Cranberry/insert next username here, you're not terribly bright are you? In referring to Wozniacki as "the player whom the WTA computer said was the best in the world," Tignor was being sarcastic. The implication being that she is far from the best in the World.

Personally I thought the article was a bit of a cheap shot but if you want to regard Tignor as "probably the best tennis observer in the World" then you presumably agree with his scathing view of Wozniacki.
Read the above quote of mine. I never said I liked this particular "article" of him. But it was fun that the haters saw even in that "article" something positive about Caro. Pathetic.:lol:

I don't retract my words that him is being the best tennis observer. I don't like that irony he used, but whatever. Not every post or article of him is brilliant.

No, he's the best observer for trolls. And, funny as it is the trolls often like to refer to themselves as 'real tennis fans'. The only real thing about you is that you talk nonsense endlessly because you cannot take that Caroline is the best player in the world and is more successful than your faves. Well, it's been a long time that she is on the top of tennis world, must be hard to take for you :oh:
This is awesome.:hysteric:

Coconut91
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM
So fucking tired of this shit. It's not even fun to hate on the Woz anymore. Just win a goddamn slam already so we can talk about something else.

:lol: You are right. Her whole self and her situation have got so old and pathetic that "hating" her has lost all its value. I don't care anymore. I only wish we didn't have to hear about her every five minutes.

Betten
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:18 PM
:lol: You are right. Her whole self and her situation have got so old and pathetic that "hating" her has lost all its value. I don't care anymore. I only wish we didn't have to hear about her every five minutes.

Well, she is the best player in the world according to the computer, as Tignor noted.

cranberry~
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Well, she is the best player in the world according to the computer, as Tignor noted.

Ok. The Computer made Wozniacki number 1. She did it playing Wii. But that means all your faves were computer unfriendly, cause they couldn't make it.:awww: Eh?

Stonerpova
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Ok. The Computer made Wozniacki number 1. She did it playing Wii. But that means all your faves were computer unfriendly, cause they couldn't make it.:awww: Eh?

Ok you're done.

tenn_ace
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:37 PM
if I was a player and had nice streak of wins getting me to #3-4, I would have started losing on purpose after that not to get to #1 or even 2 now without a very good success in Grand Slams, because the rpessure is enormous. So many in recent years crumbled under this pressure...

cranberry~
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Ok you're done.
Elaborate.

goldlion
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:49 PM
It's kind of true to say that Wozniacki is one of the biggest disappointments in 2011 WTA.

Yeah it's hard to keep top ranking by not winning a grand slam. But you have to be 'eligible' for that ranking as well people think. She's gonna continue to fail unless her team got a makeover. Their current team has reached the climax.

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:54 PM
It's kind of true to say that Wozniacki is one of the biggest disappointments in 2011 WTA.

Yeah it's hard to keep top ranking by not winning a grand slam. But you have to be 'eligible' for that ranking as well people think. She's gonna continue to fail unless her team got a makeover. Their current team has reached the climax.

The biggest dissapointment was Caroline not coming away with a grand slam to solididy Number 1 ranking spot. After 2010, peoples expectations were that she was to win one of the slams, to which she didn't.

cranberry~
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:55 PM
When being the best is considered as a disappointment... being the second best is what? being the 10th best is what? being the 100th best is what?:D

Pops Maellard
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:05 PM
The biggest dissapointment was Caroline not coming away with a grand slam to solididy Number 1 ranking spot. After 2010, peoples expectations were that she was to win one of the slams, to which she didn't.
TF didn't expect her to win slams 'cause we know how the rankings can lie :oh:.

cranberry~
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I wonder if there ever in the world exists another community as deluded as in TF. We must have set the new high. Rankings lie. 2+2 = 1 when it comes to Wozniacki, and 2+2 = 5 when it comes to your faves. Hail TF!:lol:

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM
TF didn't expect her to win slams 'cause we know how the rankings can lie :oh:.

:oh:

amped for the ASB?

Jimmie48
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:14 PM
If being a disappointment comes with finishing YE #1, winning six tournaments and making millions of Dollars I have a feeling that Caro can live with that :)

Pops Maellard
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:17 PM
:oh:

amped for the ASB Heineken?
Yes! :)

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:21 PM
If being a disappointment comes with finishing YE #1, winning six tournaments and making millions of Dollars I have a feeling that Caro can live with that :)

That's all very well and good, she's had a great year, No one should dispute that. what people do disupute, is if the ranking is indicative to how good she is (ie: The Number 1 ranked player), this should be reciprocated by a grandslam or two, considering how long she's been in the echelons.

People were expecting this as the next stage of Wozniacki, to prove her game and herself by grabbing a GS, and she undelivered, then with unexpected results, a few blips and a uncompetitive YEC, it further added salt to the wound.

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Yes! :)

Gutted, we cross over by a weekend!

dsanders06
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:28 PM

I love this, you people are always saying "well, who cares what TF posters say? The REAL tennis critics know Wozniacki isn't a failure"....and then when even the most respected commentators in the world get on her case, you're still trying to pick holes :lol:

Jimmie48
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Like it's news that some writers are trying to bring her down, Matt Cronin makes a living off that. Negative headlines get more clicks and impressions than positives, that's hardly a surprise.

Plus, with her being well liked and admired, some journalists always feel the need to be different and be negative about her, it happens with pretty much every successful athlete.

The fact is that when taking everything into account, she had a better year than every other player...otherwise she would not have finished #1 :)

ExtremespeedX
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Dullniacki overachieved this year. It's amazing how someone who can only moonball and push can stay on the top of the rankings. What a dire era.

longtin23
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks for sharing, what a great article it is

Pops Maellard
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:23 AM
The fact is that when taking everything into account, she had a better year than every other player...otherwise she would not have finished #1 :)

No slam final and no YEC final disagrees with you.

sammy01
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Like it's news that some writers are trying to bring her down, Matt Cronin makes a living off that. Negative headlines get more clicks and impressions than positives, that's hardly a surprise.

Plus, with her being well liked and admired, some journalists always feel the need to be different and be negative about her, it happens with pretty much every successful athlete.

yeah cus i'm sure this headline will get more clicks than a report of caro winning a slam :help:

she earned more points than everyone when using a flawed system, she didn't win more in terms of average points per tournament or interms of slams.

better only = more points in caro fans world. the rest of us take quality over quantity.

Jimmie48
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:56 AM
yeah cus i'm sure this headline will get more clicks than a report of caro winning a slam :help:

she earned more points than everyone when using a flawed system, she didn't win more in terms of average points per tournament or interms of slams.

better only = more points in caro fans world. the rest of us take quality over quantity.

The system is only flawed to haters of players who are currently #1. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, the slams are fittingly recognized by the system as well, it's perfectly fine. What it does is punish lazy players who cherry pick tournaments and that's a good thing for tennis... because the WTA lives and dies by the quality of the field, if there's no incentive for players to show up and play then the sport is in trouble.

And regarding the headline: Reporting on her slam wins isn't a possibility since there aren't any. Instead, the writers choose to take advantage of her popularity by publishing negative articles because that will always generate clicks. It's the same when it comes to reporting in politics etc, especially in the US... just ask FOX News, their whole business model is based on this strategy.

Negative and outrageous stories always get an audience so calling her "the biggest disappointment" is an obvious attempt to get attention. If anything, it shows under how much pressure even accomplished "experts" are to deliver clicks and impressions that they scoop to this low level.

Jimmie48
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:57 AM
No slam final and no YEC final disagrees with you.

You still don't understand this, do you? If she had made a slam final she would have even more points...the fact that she managed to become YE #1 without a slam final is actually more impressive, not less.

You can't argue with logic, you can't argue with math.

sammy01
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:12 AM
The system is only flawed to haters of players who are currently #1. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, the slams are fittingly recognized by the system as well, it's perfectly fine. What it does is punish lazy players who cherry pick tournaments and that's a good thing for tennis... because the WTA lives and dies by the quality of the field, if there's no incentive for players to show up and play then the sport is in trouble.

And regarding the headline: Reporting on her slam wins isn't a possibility since there aren't any. Instead, the writers choose to take advantage of her popularity by publishing negative articles because that will always generate clicks. It's the same when it comes to reporting in politics etc, especially in the US... just ask FOX News, their whole business model is based on this strategy.

Negative and outrageous stories always get an audience so calling her "the biggest disappointment" is an obvious attempt to get attention.If anything, it shows under how much pressure even accomplished "experts" are to deliver clicks and impressions that they scoop to this low level.

yeah because a system where kim and serena can be holding 2 slams plus YEC and be number 2 to a far inferior player will make them want to play more :help:. serena and kim know given the stupid amount of cheap easy points around and a system where wozniacki can disguard her crappy results mean they simpley wont bother even trying to obtain the number 1 ranking, it isn't worth the effort or risk of getting injured when winning slams is also on the line.

which is what really hurts and annoys caro fans, the best players still playing womens tennis have basically said 'slams over the number 1 ranking anytime' and given the only thing caro is remotely relevant for is the number 1 ranking that must hurt.

bold part #2, well she could solve that by winning a slam, but she aint good enough!

what the article shows is not how under pressure some writer or an article is, but how under pressure caro is and how she isn't living upto expectations. go look at all the beaming and positive headlines and articles there are around for kvitova and stosur right now, why because they have shown substance and are living upto their expectations and even exceeding them.

Jimmie48
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Ah yes, since "the system is flawed" didn't fly with me we're back to the other excuse "no other player cares about being #1".

No point in discussing this further, it has been done a thousand times. Nothing really hurts and annoys her fans, the only people that are pressed are her haters, you can tell by the fact that most topics about her are opened by people who don't like her. So the only people hurting are the ones who desperately trying to bring her down... and it's not working :)

Good for Kvitova and Stosur having won slams but even though Caro slumped heavily in the second half of 2011 they still can't surpass her and they're still a lot less popular. I guess most people don't care that much about slams after all :)

sammy01
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Ah yes, since "the system is flawed" didn't fly with me we're back to the other excuse "no other player cares about being #1".

No point in discussing this further, it has been done a thousand times. Nothing really hurts and annoys her fans, the only people that are pressed are her haters, you can tell by the fact that most topics about her are opened by people who don't like her. So the only people hurting are the ones who desperately trying to bring her down... and it's not working :)

Good for Kvitova and Stosur having won slams but even though Caro slumped heavily in the second half of 2011 they still can't surpass her and they're still a lot less popular. I guess most people don't care that much about slams after all :)

just thank your lucky stars caro is somewhat pretty, cus safina wasn't and she was mauled by the press and on here (even though she was a better #1 than caro) and was as popular as dog poo at some points of her being number 1.

but hey if your fave cant win a slam you might as well gloat she is more pretty thus popular than other players who have achieved more. :tape:

ExtremespeedX
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:31 AM

Tennis history cares about slams. Dullniacki will be forgotten a year after she retires while Stosur and Kvitova will be rememebered forever as USO and Wimbledon champions even if they don't win another match. Popular? Amongst who? Teenage girls who watched her advertising the anti pimple cream a couple of times or horny fanboys like yourself? :lol: Dullniacki is a joke as far as far as her tennis legacy goes. She will always be someone to ridicule as worst #1 in open era.

Holdsworth
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:34 AM
No doubt Wozniacki is the most 'disappointing' of all players for Kvitova fans:rolleyes:.
Lol.. We are absolutely not disappointed )):hug: Petra started this season as #34. And she's reached much more, than i expected...:worship: I'd even have been happy if she had been in top-10

Jimmie48
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:39 AM
but hey if your fave cant win a slam you might as well gloat she is more pretty thus popular than other players who have achieved more. :tape:

Having "archived more" is a subjective term, the fact that she's so popular should show you that many people think that the #1 ranking holds much more weight that what some people in here claim.

Jimmie48
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Tennis history cares about slams. Dullniacki will be forgotten a year after she retires while Stosur and Kvitova will be rememebered forever as USO and Wimbledon champions even if they don't win another match. Popular? Amongst who? Teenage girls who watched her advertising the anti pimple cream a couple of times or horny fanboys like yourself? :lol: Dullniacki is a joke as far as far as her tennis legacy goes. She will always be someone to ridicule as worst #1 in open era.

The fact that Anna Kournikova is still amongst the most searched after tennis players etc. proves your delusional statement wrong. She didn't win anything, her whole career was built on popularity alone and she's still a household name.

Your hope that a player who is extremely very well liked, won YE #1 two years in a row (an achievement that can potentially be unbeaten for years to come) and won lots of tournaments will be "forgotten in a year" is so pressed that it borders on the pathetic...you don't even believe that yourself.

Caro is here to stay, she has a long career ahead of her, she will play a lot and win a lot and her personality will always make her more popular than other players. And once she wins a slam all these discussions will be pointless, once she does her career is pretty much complete while most of her competitors in her age group will need years of success to possibly surpass her. She's building the lead on her opponents with every week she's #1, all players roughly her age start at zero...

sammy01
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Having "archived more" is a subjective term, the fact that she's so popular should show you that many people think that the #1 ranking holds much more weight that what some people in here claim.

in that case kournikova's doubles titles trump all else as no tennis player has ever been so popular. though there is a difference popular doesn't equal respected, you should know that as a wozniacki fan if you didn't live with your head in the sand.

Holdsworth
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:47 AM
The fact that Anna Kournikova is still amongst the most searched after \..
Who is this ? :scratch:

Jimmie48
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:49 AM
in that case kournikova's doubles titles trump all else as no tennis player has ever been so popular. though there is a difference popular doesn't equal respected, you should know that as a wozniacki fan if you didn't live with your head in the sand.

She's well respected, especially by her competitors... people who know more about tennis than anybody in here.

If you look at the people that criticize her, there are rarely credibly voices among them. It's mostly washed up "experts" or writers looking to make a quick splash on her popularity.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:51 AM
The fact that Anna Kournikova is still amongst the most searched after tennis players etc. proves your delusional statement wrong. She didn't win anything, her whole career was built on popularity alone and she's still a household name.

Anna Kournikova is not respected or searched for her tennis achievements. She is searched by horny fanboys - just like Dullniacki, which sort of confirms my points. Dullniacki is pretty, but not talented. You'd think that on a forum devoted to tennis, fans of the player would want her to be popular based on her talent/achievements. :o

Caro is here to stay, she has a long career ahead of her, she will play a lot and win a lot and her personality will always make her more popular than other players. And once she wins a slam all these discussions will be pointless, once she does her career is pretty much complete while most of her competitors in her age group will need years of success to possibly surpass her. She's building the lead on her opponents with every week she's #1, all players roughly her age start at zero...

More delusions. Dullniacki is already on the decline with her style, once the injuries creep in, she'll drop hard, like Hewitt did in his time. She'll not be winning a slam any time soon. She couldn't make a slam final in over 2 years and USO 2009 was a fluke anyway. Dullniacki is top 10-20 player at most taking advantage of mug era.

Potato
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Caroline's more popular because she's hot. :shrug: Why do you think Kournikova and Masha are the top 2 tennis stars?

Jimmie48
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Dullniacki is pretty, but not talented.

Talented enough to make your head explode apparently :)

I would really like to advise you not to hold your breath for her to go anywhere, otherwise you'll suffocate before her career is over.

The only hope losers like you can cling to is that she decides to get pregnant at one point, apart from injuries that's the only thing that may cut short her reign as a top 3 player for years to come.

sammy01
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:56 AM
She's well respected, especially by her competitors... people who know more about tennis than anybody in here.

If you look at the people that criticize her, there are rarely credibly voices among them. It's mostly washed up "experts" or writers looking to make a quick splash on her popularity.

yeah like this writer or nick bollettieri or hingis just in the last week. :help:

you would think you would be smart enough to realise players know to be PC about each other, you cant go round saying oh 'X' player is shit. however when you retire or are a journalist you don't have to uphold that, the WTA wont fine you or make you do lessons on talking to the media about what to say and what not to say.

Holdsworth
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:57 AM
It is not a talent.. She just plays anti-tennis, as well as Nadull. But Nadull is more dangerous.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 29th, 2011, 02:00 AM

I would really like to advise you not to hold your breath for her to go anywhere, otherwise you'll suffocate before her career is over.

The only hope losers like you can cling to is that she decides to get pregnant at one point, apart from injuries that's the only thing that may cut short her reign as a top 3 player for years to come.

I am not a pro tennis player :)

Dullniacki is expected to back up her #1 rank by slam or YEC wins, so answer me why can't she make a final? Lack of talent against her peers?

2011 AO: Got owned by Li ("old mug" and "lucky one slam wonder" according to some posters here) in SF

2011 FO: Humiliated by Hantuchova in R3

2011 W: got beaten by Domi in R4 after winning first set 6-1 then trying to moonball when things got tight

2011 USO: got routined by Serena who played like shit and choked about a dozen times

YEC: didn't make it out of RR

Talented?

azinna
Dec 29th, 2011, 02:02 AM
It is not a talent.. She just plays anti-tennis, as well as Nadull. But Nadull is more dangerous.

Please don't place Rafa and Caro in the same sentence, no matter how tempting.

Thank you and Carry On,
Azinna

PS: Also didn't like the Woz and Kournikova comparisons, but don't have time to elaborate.

Jimmie48
Dec 29th, 2011, 02:03 AM
So players without talent make multiple slam SFs, a final and a YEC final? Interesting...you have a unique definition of talent then.

Holdsworth
Dec 29th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Please don't place Rafael Nadal and Caro in the same sentence, no matter how tempting.
Yes.. Carolina disturbs nobody :hug: unlike nadal.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 29th, 2011, 02:05 AM
So players without talent make multiple slam SFs, a final and a YEC final? Interesting...you have a unique definition of talent then.

Compared to other elite players - not to someone outside top 50.

Jimmie48
Dec 29th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Compared to other elite players - not to someone outside top 50.

There are two(!) players she has never beat...that's all.

Also, you act like other top players would be making slam finals regularly, even tough all finalists but Li have been one-timers this year. None of the current top players make the finals regularly so I don't really know why it's supposed to be so offending that Caro doesn't either.

azinna
Dec 29th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Yes.. Carolina disturbs nobody :hug: unlike nadal.

Careful now, I am watching you, Holdsworth.

sammy01
Dec 29th, 2011, 02:22 AM

jesus, you caro tards bang on about her number 1 ranking like it is the holy grail, then when people compare her to other former number 1's and her achievements (especially in slams) look woefull next to them you get your panties in a twist.

being the number 1 in the world means you are held to a higher standard than other players (like slam winners are held to higher standards too). so you have to accept caro is a piss poor #1 stats wise when compared to others. you cant go on and boast and enjoy the plaudits about 93743109787397 weeks at number 1 then whine and moan when the bar that is set for what a number 1 should achieve caro doesn't reach, thus the criticism caro gets for not reaching those levels.

Jimmie48
Dec 29th, 2011, 02:26 AM
jesus, you caro tards bang on about her number 1 ranking like it is the holy grail, then when people compare her to other former number 1's and her achievements (especially in slams) look woefull next to them you get your panties in a twist.

being the number 1 in the world means you are held to a higher standard than other players (like slam winners are held to higher standards too). so you have to accept caro is a piss poor #1 stats wise when compared to others. you cant go on and boast and enjoy the plaudits about 93743109787397 weeks at number 1 then whine and moan when the bar that is set for what a number 1 should achieve caro doesn't reach, thus the criticism caro gets for not reaching those levels.

Really? Slam winners are held to a higher standard here too? Can't remember that Kvitova's R1 (!!) loss at the USO caused a lot of outrage...I don't even want to imagine what would happen if Caro dared to bomb out in a first round of a slam like that... the WTA would be pronounced dead and the forum would explode.

It has nothing to do with her being #1, you're just unwilling to give her credit because you don't like her. Even when she wins a slam it won't be good enough, nothing she does is ever good enough according to you people.

sammy01
Dec 29th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Really? Slam winners are held to a higher standard here too? Can't remember that Kvitova's R1 (!!) loss at the USO caused a lot of outrage...I don't even want to imagine what would happen if Caro dared to bomb out in a first round of a slam like that... the WTA would be pronounced dead and the forum would explode.

It has nothing to do with her being #1, you're just unwilling to give her credit because you don't like her. Even when she wins a slam it won't be good enough, nothing she does is ever good enough according to you people.

this is the new carotard speak for 'ok she aint winning a slam, so lets bluff and say even if it did happen you wouldn't credit her anyway'.

anyone who knows me on here knows i am not a stosur fan, far from it, but she has gained huge respect from me and many others since her slam win.

Pops Maellard
Dec 29th, 2011, 03:38 AM
You still don't understand this, do you? If she had made a slam final she would have even more points...the fact that she managed to become YE #1 without a slam final is actually more impressive, not less.

She lost before the QFs in half her events this year but she plays so many events that these pre-QF losses are covered up.

Do you understand that?

ranfurly
Dec 29th, 2011, 03:44 AM

I want Caro to get some slams under the belt, but what you have said here is the reason she becomes the center of chastising and scruitny.

couldn't of said it better :angel:

Batemant
Dec 29th, 2011, 03:53 AM
I'm disturbed by the prospect of having to watch boring tennis.

Smitten
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:29 AM

For a world #1, that is mediocre at best.

Borz will probably win this prestigious title in 2012 as well. She's very local.

Geertvg
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:53 AM

No. It shows there's a problem with the ranking system, that's all.

Geertvg
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Clijsters summed it up in a "This was 2011" program... "If Serena would win 3 slams, play 10 tournaments and win 7-8 of them, and Wozniacki would again play 26 tournaments without winning a slam, Wozniacki could still be number one. That ain't right..."

bandabou
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Caro's a disappointment, because she hasn't improved one iota this year. Only blind Caro-fans are unwilling to see that.

Since when is 2 SF's ( and in only one of them she was even competitive), 3r, 4r at the majors and failing to get out of the RR at YEC something to go :bounce: :woohoo: with when you're no.1?!

This year was more of the same as last year: as soon as she run into somebody with ANY form, Caro's toast. So that's a huge disappointment. She'll have to come up with something new next year. Let's see if she can.

marineblue
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:31 AM
yeah because a system where kim and serena can be holding 2 slams plus YEC and be number 2 to a far inferior player will make them want to play more :help:. serena and kim know given the stupid amount of cheap easy points around and a system where wozniacki can disguard her crappy results mean they simpley wont bother even trying to obtain the number 1 ranking, it isn't worth the effort or risk of getting injured when winning slams is also on the line.

which is what really hurts and annoys caro fans, the best players still playing womens tennis have basically said 'slams over the number 1 ranking anytime' and given the only thing caro is remotely relevant for is the number 1 ranking that must hurt.

bold part #2, well she could solve that by winning a slam, but she aint good enough!

what the article shows is not how under pressure some writer or an article is, but how under pressure caro is and how she isn't living upto expectations. go look at all the beaming and positive headlines and articles there are around for kvitova and stosur right now, why because they have shown substance and are living upto their expectations and even exceeding them.

Same old :bs:
It pains you Caroline is the best player in the world, doesn't it?

Betten
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:45 AM

What's painful is that the best player in the world has been unable to win any of the biggest prizes in her sport in the last two years. Heck, she didn't even make a final.

I'm one of those people who believe that the hate Wozniacki gets on this forum tends to get out of proportion and often gets too personal, but that doesn't mean that the essence of their criticsm isn't true.

bandabou
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:50 AM
:lol: Caro the best player in the world?! :spit:

She's no.1= played the most often and posted semi-consistent results. Kudos to her..but that does not make you the best player in the world. :wavey:

marineblue
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:51 AM

Didn't you hear it? Kvitty's loss in the round one was actually pre-planned since she won the best slam and doesn't need to prove anything anymore: :cool:

Geertvg
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:52 AM

:spit:

Do you seriously think she is the *BEST*? :spit:

Geertvg
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Didn't you hear it? Kvitty's loss in the round one was actually pre-planned since she won the best slam and doesn't need to prove anything anymore: :cool:

She holds a grand slam and a masters title. HAs already proven more than Caro, imHo.

marineblue
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:54 AM
:lol: Caro the best player in the world?! :spit:

She's no.1= played the most often and posted semi-consistent results. Kudos to her..but that does not make you the best player in the world. :wavey:

Yes, she is. She's worked hard and nobody, even the slam winners, could catch up. Well, excluding the imaginary 'fair' ranking system that is so popular amongst haters.:shrug:

Geertvg
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Yes, she is. She's worked hard and nobody, even the slam winners, could catch up. Well, excluding the imaginary 'fair' ranking system that is so popular amongst haters.:shrug:

You're funny. Ever considered stand up?

marineblue
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:58 AM
:spit:

Do you seriously think she is the *BEST*? :spit:

Yes, I do. Even though there are players like Kim and Serena, Caroline is the best since she is committed to playing. They are in the twilight years of their career and are not playing enough for me to consider them as the best players.

marineblue
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:00 AM
You're funny. Ever considered stand up?

I think that's something for you. Nice signature ...:oh:

Geertvg
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Yes, I do. Even though there are players like Kim and Serena, Caroline is the best since she is committed to playing. They are in the twilight years of their career and are not playing enough for me to consider them as the best players.

As long as Wozniacki doesn't beat them on a regular basis, she'll never be the best in my eyes. If there's a draw, I know who I want to be in my fave's quarter (Woz) and who not (Williams, and even Kvitova who showed she's capable of beating the best)

Geertvg
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I think that's something for you. Nice signature ...:oh:

Got a problem with a quote of a song I like then?

ExtremespeedX
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Dullniacki fans are probably most clueless and delusional fanbase on the forum. Their tennis ignorance is as huge as Dullniacki's forehead and their arrogance is as high as her moonballs.

Pops Maellard
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:04 AM

That doesn't mean shit when it comes to naming the best player, it just means she's the most committed to playing. :lol:

marineblue
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:19 AM
That doesn't mean shit when it comes to naming the best player, it just means she's the most committed to playing. :lol:

If they do not commit to playing how can you say they are the best? They have their glory from the past but that doesn't help when it's more and more rare to see them on the court.

marineblue
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Dullniacki fans are probably most clueless and delusional fanbase on the forum. Their tennis ignorance is as huge as Dullniacki's forehead and their arrogance is as high as her moonballs.

Kvitty stan accusing me of being ignorant and arrogant :spit:

Geertvg
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM
If they do not commit to playing how can you say they are the best? They have their glory from the past but that doesn't help when it's more and more rare to see them on the court.

No. They pick their moments, and peak to the big moments. That's what makes good players the best, they play their best tennis when it really matters and when the big prizes come.

bandabou
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:35 AM

:haha: :rolls: priceless.

borrowedheaven
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:43 AM

This is some of the biggest crap I have read on this forum, together with tea's "She didn't beat Kim and Serena because there was no motivation to."

So according to you, it is more impressive to gather few points at tournaments where everybody wants to win so badly, and lots of points in tournaments that aren't important? The thing that most Caro fans don't see is that in sport (and almost every other aspect of life) quality > quantity.

ranfurly
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:48 AM
:haha: :rolls: priceless.

I understand what your trying to say, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

Wozniacki had a reasonably consistent year of results, allowing her to keep her Number 1 spot, but that doesn't necessacarily correlate into being the best player. It just emphasises she was a consistent player, perhaps the most consistent at that level...I'm not sure.

That's what I like about Caroline, is that she is committed to playing, even though it's debatable her schedule this year may have been linked to her end of year blip(s),

Anyway, the US Open was a prime example of that, a player who had been dedicated all year to playing against an opponent who had shaken of an injury couple of months before and got a smack down in the SF's of the US Open (albeit Serena did have brilliant results prior tot he US Open), playing good tennis, albeit still showing a few signs of rust, and making the Number 1 player look rather helpless and diminutive.

Someone playing in their twilight year's is debatable and indicative, it's actually I believe, a testament to their talent and ability to be playing a high level of tennis within their means (breeding sprogs/playing happy families, injuries and part time playing)

Holdsworth
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Kvitty stan accusing me of being ignorant and arrogant :spit:
Don't envy :hug: Carolina absolutely doesn't disturb us.. She is so useless at big tournaments :o

marineblue
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:49 AM
This is some of the biggest crap I have read on this forum, together with tea's "She didn't beat Kim and Serena because there was no motivation to."

So according to you, it is more impressive to gather few points at tournaments where everybody wants to win so badly, and lots of points in tournaments that aren't important? The thing that most Caro fans don't see is that in sport (and almost every other aspect of life) quality > quantity.

The quality comes down to performance of players, not the amount of points on that a tournament offers. Best players can win many tournaments and dominate.

Holdsworth
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Careful now, I am watching you, Holdsworth.
I'd rather watch Carolina's game , than nadull's sickening top-spins.

marineblue
Don't envy :hug: Carolina absolutely doesn't disturb us.. She is so useless at big tournaments :o

I sense someone is running out of ideas :help:

borrowedheaven
[/B]

The quality comes down to performance of players, not the amount of points on that a tournament offers. Best players can win many tournaments and dominate.
I agree. But there is no domination if your results at the most important tournaments are mediocre.

Pops Maellard
Dec 29th, 2011, 09:04 AM

Both have won slams more recently than Wozniacki :lol:. Serena made a slam final more recently than Wozniacki. Past glory? :lol: Give me a break.

Holdsworth
Dec 29th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I sense someone is running out of ideas
What ideas ??:scratch: I already said i wasn't her hater.. I just fairly criticize her, because she is #1 in the Ranking

borrowedheaven
Dec 29th, 2011, 09:15 AM
^I think you're quoting the wrong poster :p

bandabou
Dec 29th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Both have won slams more recently than Wozniacki :lol:. Serena made a slam final more recently than Wozniacki. Past glory? :lol: Give me a break.

:lol: Ain't it something..and with Serena just coming back from more than a year of no play. And beats Caro fairly easily at that too. :shrug:

terjw
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I understand what your trying to say, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

Wozniacki had a reasonably consistent year of results, allowing her to keep her Number 1 spot, but that doesn't necessacarily correlate into being the best player. It just emphasises she was a consistent player, perhaps the most consistent at that level...I'm not sure.

That's what I like about Caroline, is that she is committed to playing, even though it's debatable her schedule this year may have been linked to her end of year blip(s),

Anyway, the US Open was a prime example of that, a player who had been dedicated all year to playing against an opponent who had shaken of an injury couple of months before and got a smack down in the SF's of the US Open (albeit Serena did have brilliant results prior tot he US Open), playing good tennis, albeit still showing a few signs of rust, and making the Number 1 player look rather helpless and diminutive.

Someone playing in their twilight year's is debatable and indicative, it's actually I believe, a testament to their talent and ability to be playing a high level of tennis within their means (breeding sprogs/playing happy families, injuries and part time playing)

Good post and trying to be constructive in a thread that is a mess. Most of your post I actually agree with. The salient points I would make though are:

Last para I definitely agree with for players who are playing a limitted high level of tennis within their means.
Best needs to be qualified. There's the sense of who are the best at the tournaments and slams they play. And there's the sense of performing the best over the whole year - not just in the few events you play. Both senses of being the best are equally valid to say they are the best. Thje rankings tries to measure the latter. But arguments without qualigfication on "She's the best" "No she's not" are at cross purposes and as pointless as arguing a 100 meter sprinter is better than a marathon runner.
Caro had a great 1st half. I don't like your word "consistent" which could mean consistently mediocre. She was winning. But the 2nd half she was not definitely not performing like the best player. This to me was the biggest problem - not the slams. Because at the end of the year - Petra looked to have had the better year as a whole.
Whether or not Petrra had the better year as a whole at the end doesn't mean the rankings are meaningless or should be thrown out the window any more than a player winning a match and looking the better player and perhaps getting more actual points but losing means we should throw how a tennis match is scored out the window.
Caro can still be proud to have got that 2nd Y/E #1 which few people have got. That's the system and she got more points. I'm sure it would feel really hollow to Petra if they changed the system so as to give her the Y/E #1 ranking and she would not want it like that. I'm sure she'll get #1 and ahe can know when she does that it's without any help tweaking the way the rankings are calculated.
There's really no logical reason why the #1 in the second sense has to win a slam. They are two distinct and difficult skills. In fact Caro wasn't that bad at slams IMO. It was her 2nd half I actually was more disappointed for her the second half of the year which was not the same level we'd seen.
There's a huge difference between calling someone an embarrassment and derogatory names or even "biggest disappointment", to constructive critcism or merely saying you don't think she's the best player in the world. The former is wrong and uncalled for.

Patrick345
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:51 PM

Don´t worry. That was a Grand Slam winning induced hangover, and Wozniacki is in no imminent danger to suffer from that. :lol:

Bourbon
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Leave her alone :shrug:
It's not her fault if she succesfully became the best tennis player in the world (in terms of ranking, of course). If more talented players cannot defeat her, she has some credit and you all must recognize it.
I don't like her game and I find her a horrible person, but congrats to her for having done such a great thing being just twenty.

Matt01
Dec 29th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Don´t worry. That was a Grand Slam winning induced hangover, and Wozniacki is in no imminent danger to suffer from that. :lol:

So lame. :zzz:

Stonerpova
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:24 PM

:rolls:

Jimmie48
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:39 PM
So lame. :zzz:

Just give them their one remaining talking point, it's the last thing they have. And it might be gone soon :)

C. Drone
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:55 PM
didnt know Stacey Allaster is a computer. Frakin` cylons.

ranfurly
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Hey Terjw, thanks for the reply pal, appreciate.

Caro had a great 1st half. I don't like your word "consistent" which could mean consistently mediocre. She was winning. But the 2nd half she was not definitely not performing like the best player. This to me was the biggest problem - not the slams. Because at the end of the year - Petra looked to have had the better year as a whole.

She was consistent though, consistent at a high level, reaching the echelons of most tournaments she entered, that's what you could count on from Caroline during most the year. That the tournaments she entered, the result would be excellent from her.

Whether or not Petrra had the better year as a whole at the end doesn't mean the rankings are meaningless or should be thrown out the window any more than a player winning a match and looking the better player and perhaps getting more actual points but losing means we should throw how a tennis match is scored out the window.

Im a little confused as to what this last paragraph is trying to cover, sorry.

Caro can still be proud to have got that 2nd Y/E #1 which few people have got. That's the system and she got more points. I'm sure it would feel really hollow to Petra if they changed the system so as to give her the Y/E #1 ranking and she would not want it like that. I'm sure she'll get #1 and ahe can know when she does that it's without any help tweaking the way the rankings are calculated.

Caro defintly has alot to be proud of, she's had another great year.

There's really no logical reason why the #1 in the second sense has to win a slam. They are two distinct and difficult skills. In fact Caro wasn't that bad at slams IMO. It was her 2nd half I actually was more disappointed for her the second half of the year which was not the same level we'd seen.

See, I disagree pal, that's making excuses. No one expects the Number 1 Player to win all four grandslams. Yet being the Number 1 Ranked player, for an extensive amount of time, you are expected to win slams, that is the barometer for people like us. It will stick with her at the end.

There's a huge difference between calling someone an embarrassment and derogatory names or even "biggest disappointment", to constructive critcism or merely saying you don't think she's the best player in the world. The former is wrong and uncalled for.[/LIST]

:) Agree, She's not an embarrassment, or should she be dissapointed. However for alot of people, it's dissapointing that the number 1 player for over a year now still hasn't won herself a Maiden Slam win, and that's what fans and detractors alike were expecting from her, either to prove her position and at the same time, for alot to eat their humble pie.

Cheers

Excelscior
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Caro's a disappointment, because she hasn't improved one iota this year. Only blind Caro-fans are unwilling to see that.

Since when is 2 SF's ( and in only one of them she was even competitive), 3r, 4r at the majors and failing to get out of the RR at YEC something to go :bounce: :woohoo: with when you're no.1?!

This year was more of the same as last year: as soon as she run into somebody with ANY form, CARO'S TOAST. So that's a huge disappointment. She'll have to come up with something new next year. Let's see if she can.

Hilarious (that toast line)!! :lol: :eek: :lol:

All jokes aside. You're overall point and rationale was more than fair and based in legitimate reality/expectations for someone in her position (and with her type of boisterous, pom pom carrying, recalcitrant fan base).

They may not like it (or you, me and anyone else; no matter how politely, innocuously and honestly it's stated). But what you gonna do?

Hopefully (for her and her biggest fans) she'll have a better 2012.

Yorker
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Hopefully her losing the number 1 ranking early will help her loosen up and actually use some offense, I was just watching some highlights from 08-09 then 10-11 it's amazing how different of a player she is. The early years actually hitting the ball, the last two are almost purely defensive, however bad a comparison this is it reminds me of roddick and how god awful his ground game is now, almost purely defensive and counterpunching compared to his younger years. Caroline is still young, but I just don't understand why she stopped going for shots unless it's just pressure. Someone should slap her before every match to loosen her up.

Valanga
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:05 PM

Patrick :sobbing:
Must. Spread. Reps.

Brad[le]y.
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hopefully her losing the number 1 ranking early will help her loosen up and actually use some offense, I was just watching some highlights from 08-09 then 10-11 it's amazing how different of a player she is. The early years actually hitting the ball, the last two are almost purely defensive, however bad a comparison this is it reminds me of roddick and how god awful his ground game is now, almost purely defensive and counterpunching compared to his younger years. Caroline is still young, but I just don't understand why she stopped going for shots unless it's just pressure. Someone should slap her before every match to loosen her up.
I agree :eek:

jNAc2l8SFPQ

her match vs Serena in Sydney is overplayed so I'll use this one. Her forehand was a lot more fluid and she could volley a lot better as well.

Jimmie48
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Pressure plays the major role in most of her defeats, especially since her reaction to it is to get passive. That's what caused her to lose to Cibulkova at Wimbledon for example, she gets to a point until which she has the match in the bag and then there's the tipping point and instead of responding she gets passive and slowly loses control of the match.

I´ve been saying this all along, even though her technique is flawed in some ways this is not what caused her recent slump. She needs to stop falling into this passive-mode when things get tough and I hope Sanchez can give her the tools (both in terms of technique and mental strength) to overcome those situations.

Back in 2008 she was just happy go lucky Caroline, an upcoming player who wasn't that much into the focus. Now she's the #1 and every match (especially at slams) is under very close observation and the pressure gets to her. The pressure won't go away, she just has to learn to cope with it in a more efficient way that allows her to stay in control.

dsanders06
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Where the hell did this myth that Wozniacki only became a "pusher" in 2010 come from? :lol: I didn't watch much of her in 2008, but in 2009, she was generally as defensive as she's ever been... in her run to the US Open final that year in particular, her ground game was painfully timid and unambitious even for her standards.

ranfurly
Dec 29th, 2011, 09:11 PM
The dissapointment is from a public perspective is that she failed to win a grand slam which was the tabernacle to solidify her presence as the top of the game.

Finished.

Smitten
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:30 AM

jNAc2l8SFPQ

her match vs Serena in Sydney is overplayed so I'll use this one. Her forehand was a lot more fluid and she could volley a lot better as well.

Borz in 2008 was just as useless as she was her entire career. I think she's actually gotten better at hitting winners from her 2008 version not worse.

Corswandt
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Where the hell did this myth that Wozniacki only became a "pusher" in 2010 come from? :lol: I didn't watch much of her in 2008, but in 2009, she was generally as defensive as she's ever been... in her run to the US Open final that year in particular, her ground game was painfully timid and unambitious even for her standards.

The turning point was the 2008-2009 offseason. Before that, Wozniacka was still under the delusion that she was a power baseliner (attempting to overpower Jankovic until her own FH broke down completely etc.). During that offseason, Wozniacka bulked up considerably and then showed up down under with a much more defensive mindset. I remember people being horrified at Wozniacka letting herself by bossed around and outwinnered by Craybas on a match they played in Auckland. But for the record GM only really began to hate after that legendary Charleston match vs Lena D.

Linguae^
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Her loss to Domi at Wimbledon this year was the key of her disappointing year.

aloeball
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:59 AM

jNAc2l8SFPQ

6:55

I think this video needs a separate thread.

Commentator: Two winners in a roooow for Wozniacki.

Haven't seen that blue moon emerge lately :lol:

améliemomo
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:09 PM

well in fact journalist dont pay much attention about her, she's world n°1 and they just do their job by talking about her cause THEY HAVE TO

but I know many journalist and I can tell you that they dont pay much attention on the wta especially with seing Wozniacki as supposed "the best of women tennis":help:

not a good thing for wta for sure. Kvitova with her tennis is far more impressive and could eventually be the right n°1 but still has to be good for an entire year;

I agree with the writter, yes in a way Wozniacki is a disappointment.

Pops Maellard
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:18 PM
The turning point was the 2008-2009 offseason. Before that, Wozniacka was still under the delusion that she was a power baseliner (attempting to overpower Jankovic until her own FH broke down completely etc.). During that offseason, Wozniacka bulked up considerably and then showed up down under with a much more defensive mindset. I remember people being horrified at Wozniacka letting herself by bossed around and outwinnered by Craybas on a match they played in Auckland. But for the record GM only really began to hate after that legendary Charleston match vs Lena D.
No I think GM turned on Caro a little before that. I just read through the Caro/Lena '09 Miami R4 match thread and besides a few more people congratulating (at that stage it was the best win of Caro's career), it looks just like any Caro result thread these days :oh:.

Navratil
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Not at all!!

She finished the year as the # 1 player - it could have been any better.

Everybody knows she is not the best player in the world, so to hold the # 1 ranking is a very big achievement for a player who is # 6 or 7 in reality. Because that is the rating she gets from the bookmakers playing at the Grand Slams. She hasn't been a favorite for a big title. So why should this be a disappointment for her?

It's only disappointing for the tour to see the real top players missing most tournaments :(

Patrick345
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Not at all!!

She finished the year as the # 1 player - it could have been any better.

Everybody knows she is not the best player in the world, so to hold the # 1 ranking is a very big achievement for a player who is # 6 or 7 in reality. Because that is the rating she gets from the bookmakers playing at the Grand Slams. She hasn't been a favorite for a big title. So why should this be a disappointment for her?

Good point.

sammy01
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:27 PM

i have always hated sunshine lol. when someone bumped that thread discussing the top 20/30 players from late 2008 i was already in full hate mode sob.

the only moment caro has ever slightly grown on me was her 2009 us open RU speach, she was charming. though she got a cakewalk to the final so she should never have been there anyway.

edit think the thread was top 10 hate/like actually

Valanga
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I still had good words about Wozniacki's first GS F. I thought she did pretty well pushing Kim to up her level when trailing 4-5*. Gosh. That was 2 years ago

Steven.
Dec 30th, 2011, 01:32 PM
As I said AGES ago when the WozHate was at its peak, Wozniacki never used to play the way she does now but it seemed that her passive play began around the time she broke into the top 10 (so mid-2009~), and the higher she went, the more she was afraid of losing her spot thus leading to her defensive mindset. Before that though, she had nothing to lose and played however the hell she felt like.

dsanders06
Dec 30th, 2011, 02:25 PM

:lol: I remember being really surprised at all the hate piled on her when I first joined here when she was making her run to the final of Madrid that year. As I recall, I was one of her biggest defenders in those days :unsure:

Corswandt
Dec 30th, 2011, 02:38 PM
:lol: I remember being really surprised at all the hate piled on her when I first joined here when she was making her run to the final of Madrid that year. As I recall, I was one of her biggest defenders in those days :unsure:

Don't worry, son - you eventually saw the error of your ways, repented and chose the path of truth, and that's all that matters to us now.

sammy01
Dec 30th, 2011, 02:40 PM

does that mean one day you will do a U-turn on venus and be one of her biggest stans :hearts::tape:

Smitten
Dec 30th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I think she's better than her 2008 version.

2008 watching her lose to Ivanovic in consecutively slams (AO & RG) she was doing absolutely jack all with the ball. Of course you can look slightly offensive against someone like Jankovic.

2008 against Venus in Miami and the other meeting. She did fuck all.

The list goes on. I think she can hit more winners now than then for sure. Everyone knows pushing and endless balls to Dementieva's backhand will win. It's so sad she lost to Radwanska over and over.

She was even more useless in 2008. Definitely better now offensively.

dsanders06
Dec 30th, 2011, 02:55 PM
does that mean one day you will do a U-turn on venus and be one of her biggest stans :hearts::tape:

No, I have SOME boundaries :lol:

Matt01
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:07 PM

Poor you. Maybe eventually you will see the light again.

Valanga
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:09 PM

I forgot. What was wrong with that Charleston match?

marineblue
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:41 PM
if I was a player and had nice streak of wins getting me to #3-4, I would have started losing on purpose after that not to get to #1 or even 2 now without a very good success in Grand Slams, because the rpessure is enormous. So many in recent years crumbled under this pressure...

Because they listened to the haters. Had they been sensible like Caroline they could have had made the most of it. If you are the best there are always people who will try to bring you down. There are many losers in this world,unforunately.

Smitten
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:34 AM

She deadlocked Dementieva until she imploded with relentless pushing.

Apoleb
Dec 31st, 2011, 08:50 AM
I admit I only joined the hate because it was "cool" and everyone was doing so. To be quite honest, I don't care about her*, and her matches are actually quite interesting because her style forces players to be a little bit innovative - other than hit big in the middle of the court, the prototype of the modern ball basher.

*But that's only because she hasn't won anything yet.

Corswandt
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:20 PM

She deadlocked Dementieva until she imploded with relentless pushing.

Basically.

It went on for what seemed to be a lifetime. A shitload of 20+ shot rallies of 100% pure aimless grinding, a shitload of deuce games, Wozniacka saving a shitload of BPs with good serves, Elena D. saving a bunch of MPs in the second set (because Wozniacka wouldn't do a thing to win them) only to go on to lose the match anyway.

Pops Maellard
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:28 PM
Basically.

It went on for what seemed to be a lifetime. A shitload of 20+ shot rallies of 100% pure aimless grinding, a shitload of deuce games, Wozniacka saving a shitload of BPs with good serves, Elena D. saving a bunch of MPs in the second set (because Wozniacka wouldn't do a thing to win them) only to go on to lose the match anyway.
Sad sad times indeed. Elena never looked so helpless in her whole career as when she played against Wozniacki :bigcry:. She gave her a smackdown later in '09 but Caro's usually burned out by that stage of the year anyway.

Apoleb
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Basically.

Sounds like the typical scrub vs Dementieva matches we had to endure before she thankfully retired.

madmax
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:32 PM
Sad sad times indeed. Elena never looked so helpless in her whole career as when she played against Wozniacki :bigcry:. She gave her a smackdown later in '09 but Caro's usually burned out by that stage of the year anyway.

well playing Dullniacki can be a pain in the ass if you are serve-less grinder with predictable CC hitting pattern. Danish pusher can retrieve those all day long and probably in her sleep too

ExtremespeedX
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah, to beat Dullniacki you either need to serve/hit her off court or disrupt her pushing game with variety such as attacking the net. In case of Dementieva she had neither power nor variety to hit through Dullniacki. Although she was obviously more talented player - in today's game it pays to be a dull, consistent grinder with fitness and athleticism rather than a shotmaker with talent or flair :sad:

Smitten
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:47 PM
Sounds like the typical scrub vs Dementieva matches we had to endure before she thankfully retired.

Yes. Dementieva losing in straight to Radwanska at Indian Wells one year was just the signal that she was ready to go. I think she ended up losing to her again in Asia too.

Terrible.

Corswandt
Dec 31st, 2011, 01:36 PM

The matches vs Agatha were worse because Agatha went out of her way to make Lena D. look like an idiot. I say that Agatha is never in control of anything on the matches she plays, but I must make an exception for this matchup. Agatha at times was just toying with Lena D., as if she had nothing but contempt for her. Agatha/Lena D. matchup = some of my most painful tennis viewing experiences ever.