PDA

View Full Version : Previewing the 2012 season

laurie
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hello everyone, I've written a piece looking at the possible / probable contenders for the big prizes in 2012, seee what you think. Read on.....

http://burnstennis.blogspot.com/2011/12/previewing-2012-wta-season.html

The 2011 WTA season turned out to be a very interesting one with four different nationalities winning the major titles. Serena Williams did not win a major title for the first time since 2006 whilst Petra Kvitova announced herself as the most exciting young talent to emerge for many years, perhaps since Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters 10 years previously. An exciting transition at the top is certainly taking place. With the season about to commence in Australasia, itís a good time to assess the contenders for the major prizes in 2012.

Slampova
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Petra Kvitova announced herself as the most exciting young talent to emerge for many years, perhaps since Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters 10 years previously.

No, Sharapova did this in 2004 :lol:

Ferg
Dec 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Always has to be about Sharapova doesnt it...

laurie
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:55 PM

I see what you're saying. I think the media and sponsors really got excited about Sharapova when she won Wimbledon in 2004 age 17, well certain sections of the media who love the Sharapova look and image. But Sharapova is probably not as talented as some of the other players of that era but made up for that with tremendous fighting spirit. Sharapova is also stuck on 3 majors so I'm sure she wants to increase that tally to get closer to Henin and Venus Williams, she's still only 24 or 25.

SwingVolley93
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Hello everyone, I've written a piece looking at the possible / probable contenders for the big prizes in 2012, seee what you think. Read on.....

http://burnstennis.blogspot.com/2011/12/previewing-2012-wta-season.html

The 2011 WTA season turned out to be a very interesting one with four different nationalities winning the major titles. Serena Williams did not win a major title for the first time since 2006 whilst Petra Kvitova announced herself as the most exciting young talent to emerge for many years, perhaps since Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters 10 years previously. An exciting transition at the top is certainly taking place. With the season about to commence in Australasia, itís a good time to assess the contenders for the major prizes in 2012.

Where's Radwanska, Petkovic or Bartoli... :wavey:

Aryman3
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Nothing to be proud about

Petronius
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Just read it, Laurie, very well written. Maybe you should've also included Radwanska, Bartoli, Petkovic, Lisicki among the players that can make breakthrough ?

As for Petra, the best thing about her is that she doesn't care that much about her ranking (that's why she e.g. plays FedCup instead of having a rest) and her main goal is to improve the quality/level of her game. If she can maintain the momentum in 2012 it may motivate other girls to get better (or even motivate her compatriot Nicole to return from her retirement?).

We'll see.

laurie
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Where's Radwanska, Petkovic or Bartoli... :wavey:

Well I admit I don't see any of those players contending for major titles, I could be wrong of course, this is not an exact science.

Ryan
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I think its a great article. Well done. :yeah:

laurie
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Just read it, Laurie, very well written. Maybe you should've also included Radwanska, Bartoli, Petkovic, Lisicki among the players that can make breakthrough ?

As for Petra, the best thing about her is that she doesn't care that much about her ranking (that's why she e.g. plays FedCup instead of having a rest) and her main goal is to improve the quality/level of her game. If she can maintain the momentum in 2012 it may motivate other girls to get better (or even motivate her compatriot Nicole to return from her retirement?).

We'll see.

Actually, Lisiki is a good call. Lisiki has the potential to be a very good player.

laurie
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Thankyou very much.

SwingVolley93
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Well I admit I don't see any of those players contending for major titles, I could be wrong of course, this is not an exact science.

But you see Jankovic or Pavluchenkova being able to...? :haha:

Break My Rapture
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Where's Radwanska, Petkovic... :wavey:
:haha: Post of the week.

SwingVolley93
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:57 PM
:haha: Post of the week.

Oh I'm sorry, Jaknovic and Pavly are just SO much more likely to produce great results next year than Aga or Petko.? You're an idiot...:lol:

laurie
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:08 PM
But you see Jankovic or Pavluchenkova being able to...? :haha:

Sure, may not happen in 2012 but Pavluchenkova has more potential than Petkovic, Bartoli and Radwanska.

Jankovic? Well she has let us all down again and again, and its probably likely she will never win a slam title. But in terms of pure talent, she should have done much better and should be doing much better. She's still around 26 years old and considering what Schiavone, Stosur and Li have done recently, and what Mauresmo did in 2006, it's clearly not too late, that's what her coach should be telling her.

terjw
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:21 PM

Yes I agree. One factual error though was that Sharapova's foot injury was not "sustained in China in October" but in Tokyo in her QF match against Kvitova. She retired from that match and withdrew from Beijing as a result.

hBence
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I think it's a very nice article. good job! :)

SwingVolley93
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Sure, may not happen in 2012 but Pavluchenkova has more potential than Petkovic, Bartoli and Radwanska.

Jankovic? Well she has let us all down again and again, and its probably likely she will never win a slam title. But in terms of pure talent, she should have done much better and should be doing much better. She's still around 26 years old and considering what Schiavone, Stosur and Li have done recently, and what Mauresmo did in 2006, it's clearly not too late, that's what her coach should be telling her.

OMG you are too much...:haha:

laurie
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Yes I agree. One factual error though was that Sharapova's foot injury was not "sustained in China in October" but in Tokyo in her QF match against Kvitova. She retired from that match and withdrew from Beijing as a result.

Indeed it was Japan.

MiiMo
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Or u can check out my Take a look at the WTA TOP 10 about ur fave players
Each player got an article :)

laurie
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I think it's a very nice article. good job! :)

:dance:

laurie
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:55 PM

Just read your articles re Petko and a few other players. I agree with your take on Petkovic more or less, she does have a straight up and down game and usually you need more to win a major tournament, and rankings is almost immaterial. After all, Wozniacki is number 1 and yet her game is limited and its hurting her in the slams. Petkovic must improve her serve as well and her forehand is not the best as you say, that's a lot of technical things to work on to get to the next level.

Petronius
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:28 PM

Just read some parts of your blog. I think it's wonderful, you are a true tennis fan. Keep up the great work ! :yeah:

Lighter
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:30 PM
...Pavluchenkova has more potential than Petkovic, Bartoli and Radwanska...Are you really serious ? Ok, she's Monterrey queen....she's good player....She was a good junior like was Bartoli or Radwanska. But she still misses the big win in GS or a big finals.

Imo, Pavlyuchenkova won't be top 10 end of 2012.

matthias
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Sure, may not happen in 2012 but Pavluchenkova has more pounds than Petkovic, Bartoli and Radwanska.

corrected your comment for you

Bosco123
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:21 PM
corrected your comment for you

:rolls:

Stonerpova
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:37 PM

Loved it :yeah:

MiiMo
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Loved it :yeah:

Oh thank you that's sweet :)

ExtremespeedX
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:55 PM

Sharapova never played exciting tennis. She was exciting for legions of 15 year old boys who didn't even know the rules of the game.

Lachy
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Sharapova never played exciting tennis. She was exciting for legions of 15 year old boys who didn't even know the rules of the game.

Speak for yourself :lol:

MiiMo
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Just read some parts of your blog. I think it's wonderful, you are a true tennis fan. Keep up the great work ! :yeah:

Thank you very much ! I really hope that people who liked it will share it ! :)

MiiMo
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:17 AM
U can also check my preview at :
http://wtaupdates.blogspot.com/2011/12/2012-preview-who-will-dominate-which.html

Excelscior
Dec 29th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Nice, well written article Laurie.

Of course, some people are not going to be happy if you left out their faves. That's understandable. But I guess you couldn't write about everybody (or you covered the folks who YOU thought were most relevant)?

I can certainly see why Petko and Sabine fans would want to be included though (since you had so many others). Sabine has the potential, if she can clean up certain aspects of her game. And Petko was consistent enough to make slam quarterfinals, albeit with an unspectacular game.

Keep up the good work!

Shrugs.

laurie
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks Excelsior.

Your right, it's not possible to mention everyone, I put who I think could get the job done, and like I said, I could be totally wrong but that's what it's all about.

There is one player I didn't mention which I thought could cause controversy but it looks like everyone has accepted she needs to recover her health first before thinking about tennis or challenging again - Venus Williams.

MiiMo
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hy there, both Laurie and Excelsior, could u check out my Preview and tell me what u think :))

http://wtaupdates.blogspot.com/2011/12/2012-preview-who-will-dominate-which.html

Excelscior
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Hi MiiMo

I read you're review.

It was very comprehensive.

It's clear that you follow tennis, and know a lot about the different players and the tour. At least you gave hunches. A lot of reporters and writers, just give the expected, likely predictions. You blended your knowledge with recent history, to make hunches.

Of course I didn't agree with everything you said. That's to be expected. But my disagreements were really minor, and of course you're entitled to your own opinions and predictions. So I'm not going to nit pick and list any of my disagreements.

On the other hand, I'm sure some fans of Radwanska and Azarenka (if they get that far in the article) will not be happy with your tepid predictions of their 2012 season; especially coming off last year. I'm also sure there will be critics who don't put as much faith in Rezai, Dokic, Hantuhukova and Lisicki, etc. 2012 prospects as you do. Lol But hey; there's always surprises in a year. Right?

Good for you!

PS: I noticed a typo on Li Na's segment, where the word shocking was spelled with a C instead of an S.

Keep up the good work.

MiiMo
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Hi MiiMo

I read you're review.

It was very comprehensive.

It's clear that you follow tennis, and know a lot about the different players and the tour. At least you gave hunches. A lot of reporters and writers, just give the expected, likely predictions. You blended your knowledge with recent history, to make hunches.

Of course I didn't agree with everything you said. That's to be expected. But my disagreements were really minor, and of course you're entitled to your own opinions and predictions. So I'm not going to nit pick and list any of my disagreements.

On the other hand, I'm sure some fans of Radwanska and Azarenka (if they get that far in the article) will not be happy with your tepid predictions of their 2012 season; especially coming off last year. I'm also sure there will be critics who don't put as much faith in Rezai, Dokic, Hantuhukova and Lisicki, etc. 2012 prospects as you do. Lol But hey; there's always surprises in a year. Right?

Good for you!

PS: I noticed a typo on Li Na's segment, where the word shocking was spelled with a C instead of an S.

Keep up the good work.

Hy there ! First of all, thank you for reading my article ! I hope u liked it !
Of course those are my personal opinions and I assume on certain points I am wrong.
Don't get me wrong about Azarenka and Radwanska, they are both really good players and their seasons and final rankings show it. I just think that in 2012 they'll stay big contenders but won't manage to reach latter stages in Grand Slam, they'll stay steady players and great oppenents tough, able of pulling big upsets.

Talking about Rezai, Dokic and Hantuchova. It's just that I felt that those girls had what it takes and can totally be able to achieve great things this season because of their pure ball striking and the shinning tennis they used to play. But again, it's all personal. I mean it also could be Petrova, Wickmayer, Jankovic and Ivanovic that will find their form back.

PS : could you help me out to make the blog more popular ? :)

Stonerpova
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:26 PM

Cool story bro.

laurie
Dec 30th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Hy there, both Laurie and Excelsior, could u check out my Preview and tell me what u think :))

Hi, I'll have a look in detail tomorrow, cheers.

laurie
Dec 31st, 2011, 12:18 AM
Hi MiiMo

I left a comment on your blog. That's interesting you've predicted Hantuchova to do well next year, she's a great ball striker but in tennis so much about winning is self belief, that comes easily to some players and not to others, I think Hantuchova lacks self belief. But again, who knows, it's possible to win at a ripe old age now, thinking of Li and Schiavone.

Rezai and Dokic have something in common, fathers who've ruined their careers. Rezai is young, I hope she can come back as well, she reminds me of Vaidisova, hit the ball like there's no tomorrow! Rezai needs variety and some finesse in her game to progress, plus some luck and hard work to get back to the top 20.

You mentioned Lisiki's 2nd serve, I never studied it, you reckon it's weak. That sounds like Andy Murray syndrome, big first serve and powderpuff 2nd serve, I'll have to check that. As they say, you are only as good as your 2nd serve, players like Jankovic have suffered at the highest level due to a weak 2nd serve, I'll watch Lisiki closely when she's next on. And Murray's 2nd serve is never going to be good enough against Federer or Djokovic in a major final, he needs to improve it further, as he well knows.

You reckon Kvitova is not ready to dominate yet, you could be right, the key will be how she plays on hardcourts. During Wimbledon she was hitting serves around 115mph. Then in her US Open loss, she was barely serving 100mph. I thought she was injured as I couldn't understand the big difference in service speeds. However, if Kvitova serves well on hardcourts next year, she will be very difficult to beat considering how deadly her return game can be. So the key for her to potential domination will be her serve and her movement after the serve, she's best placed to take over as the very best in the business from Serena Williams.