PDA

View Full Version : Sasha Jones to represent Australia

ranfurly
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:01 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/6194955/Top-Kiwi-tennis-player-turns-Australian

Kiwi No 2 Sacha Jones is turning her back on New Zealand tennis to represent Australia.

Tennis New Zealand revealed the surprising move today, after confirmation from the International Tennis Federation that it would accept her transfer.

Jones, who has dual nationality with her mother born in New Zealand and father born in Australia, has the option of playing for either country.

The world No 274 has decided for the betterment of her career to switch to the Australian programme, which has significantly more resources than New Zealand, and the move comes into effect early next month.

''The decision has been a very difficult one for me to make,'' she said in a statement.

''I am very grateful for the support that Tennis New Zealand has given to my career to date but if I want to achieve my goals, I believe that being involved in the Australian programme will give me the best opportunity to do it.''

Tennis NZ chief executive Steve Johns described his organisation as ''obviously disappointed'', but said it supported the 21-year-old in ''wanting to achieve her dream''.

''This is a reality of sport, that New Zealand athletes do go overseas to further their careers. We cannot compete against the significant resources of Tennis Australia and we have therefore reluctantly agreed to release Sacha into the Australian tennis programme.

''Sacha has been a dedicated New Zealand tennis player and so while we're disappointed to lose her, we understand the reasons why she is going. We wish her well with her tennis career. She is still a Kiwi and our door is open to her if she decides to move back to New Zealand in the future.''

At 274, Jones is comfortably New Zealand's second-ranked women's singles player behind Marina Erakovic (61). Katherine Westbury is the next best Kiwi, ranked at a lowly 712.

Jones, whose brother GD Jones has played Davis Cup tennis for New Zealand, will play in January's ASB Classic where she has been awarded a wildcard, presumably because she was a Kiwi.

But after the Classic she will travel to Australia, where she is in line for a wildcard into the Australian Open.

ASB Classic tournament director Richard Palmer said he was aware that Jones was considering a move to Australia at the time the wildcard was announced.

''With Sacha's world ranking of 261 we felt she was our best choice for the second wildcard for the ASB Classic,'' he said.

Ad Feedback ''While she might be heading across the Tasman, this is still her hometown tournament and she'll have plenty of support here.''

- © Fairfax NZ News

Sammo
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Oh I remember her, she defeated Alicia Molik 2 or 3 times at ITF tournaments in Australia in the fall of 2009 when Molik came back. And by the way she's hot!

http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1293235742/724/4494724.jpg

Uranus
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Free AO wildcards :p.
Good luck Sacha. That girl was on a roll before she got injured.

Mana
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Fuck.

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Fuck.

I wish her bad luck and misery now.

Mana
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I wish her bad luck and misery now.

Pockets 5k for winning the NZ NATIONALS last week, MD WC into Auckland, and then off to Australia for a possible AO MD WC.

Classy.

Sidenote - I'll be keen to see what kind of welcome she gets on center court in Auckland.

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Pockets 5k for winning the NZ NATIONALS last week, MD WC into Auckland, and then off to Australia for a possible AO MD WC.

Classy.

She's as Classy as a Westie,

Nup, Im turning my back on her now, Shunning her like the leader of the exclusive Bretheren. fool me once, shame on me, fall me twice shame on you, no second chances, enough is enough, Done. Through. Finito. Uh Huh.

I will not be voting Sasha Jones for the upcoming elections.

...and yet to rub my hands on her gorgeous rack *jizz*

pav
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Has she got a wildcard for auck?whip it off the bugger:)

Mana
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:13 AM

Nup, Im turning my back on her now, Shunning her like the leader of the exclusive Bretheren. fool me once, shame on me, fall me twice shame on you, no second chances, enough is enough, Done. Through. Finito. Uh Huh.

Epic.

Mana
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:14 AM

Agreed.

And give it to someone in qualies. She has no business having the WC.

I do respect that she has come out with this before the tournament started, but this is still pretty shit. My bet is that she had to if she wanted to be considered for an AO WC.

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:15 AM

Bloody greedy tart!

pav
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:23 AM
The rack bit sounds alright though:lick:

Vincey!
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:24 AM
oh I love her! I sure wish she could have stayed a kiwi but if she thinks she'll have more support from the Australians it's all good. I hope she'll play Auckland tho.

Keadz
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Atleast she's honest about it.

Good luck to her. Some tough competition in terms of getting wildcards considering how average she has been since her comeback from injury.

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Can't blame her, she's just doing what every other Kiwi does, migrates over there haha....

So Disrespectful
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:54 AM
I can understand her reasoning, but she'll be even less known in Australia as the 10th ranked player. :angel:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:54 AM
She'll be lucky to get a qualifying WC to the AO, if that. You can't just show up less than three weeks before the main draw, declare you're an Australian, and expect to start getting handouts of that magnitude.

Tennis NZ showed themselves to be real pussies in this situation, still letting her keep her WC to Auckland and saying she's welcome back anytime, after all they're invested in her. Shows how desperate they are for a viable option for a second Fed Cup player at the moment.

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:58 AM
She'll be lucky to get a qualifying WC to the AO, if that. You can't just show up less than three weeks before the main draw, declare you're an Australian, and expect to start getting handouts of that magnitude.

Tennis NZ showed themselves to be real pussies in this situation, still letting her keep her WC to Auckland and saying she's welcome back anytime, after all they're invested in her. Shows how desperate they are for a viable option for a second Fed Cup player at the moment.

Yeah, well considering they get fuck all funding, not alot of public funding, they'll crawl up any leg to try and keep some representation.

Oh well, we won the Rugby World Cup, so Sasha can go kiss my fat hairy arsehole.:lol:

Papillon.
Dec 28th, 2011, 02:31 AM

Yeah, well considering they get fuck all funding, not alot of public funding, they'll crawl up any leg to try and keep some representation.

Oh well, we won the Rugby World Cup, so Sasha can go kiss my fat hairy arsehole.:lol:

I would leave any country with you in it in a heartbeat.

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 02:57 AM

Dude, lighten up, Im being sarcastic, I support her leaving because anyone who has talent and can capitalise on it even more in a country which has better resources should.

I thought the first post with the exclusive bretheren part was clear enough..haha, ya drongo.

Mikey.
Dec 28th, 2011, 03:05 AM
:spit:

Tripp
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:07 AM
While I can understand her reasons to do the change, I think the timing is extremely classless, just having won the NZ nationals and earning a WC for Auckland.

Papillon.
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Dude, lighten up, Im being sarcastic, I support her leaving because anyone who has talent and can capitalise on it even more in a country which has better resources should.

I thought the first post with the exclusive bretheren part was clear enough..haha, ya drongo.

I wasn't even referring to your stance toward her leaving. :lol: You're a pig.

iGOAT
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:09 AM
I feel New Zealand for her after the support they have given her :sad:.

Australia is second only to Kazakhstan in terms of players gained lately :p.

Mattographer
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I feel New Zealand for her after the support they have given her :sad:.

Australia is second only to Kazakhstan in terms of players gained lately :p.
At least Australia didn't pay their players to playing for the country :shrug:

Sasha Jones won't get a WC at AO for sure :lol: Maybe 2013 :shrug:

Melange
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:41 AM

heading for the country with mike81 in it :help: :scared:

Kəv.
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:41 AM
So who is Australia's "real Aussie" player?

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:44 AM

Brilliant, then you can kiss my big fat hairy arse aswell :kiss:
Yum Yum Pig's Bum

http://sallygardens.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452318769e2012875b82c4c970c-800wi

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:52 AM
So who is Australia's "real Aussie" player?

Stubbsie:p

Papillon.
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:54 AM
heading for the country with mike81 in it :help: :scared:

We're safe from people who are detained within psychiatric facilities.

HOS
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:00 AM
One wc into Auckland vs a grand slam wc, two more events, at least she admits it is for the $$ not a single mention of her love for aust what a moll

Steven.
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:22 AM
what a bitch :lol:

Pops Maellard
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:35 AM
They're welcome to her :shrug:.

spiceboy
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:23 AM
So did she change her name too? Why is everyone calling her "Sasha"?

spiceboy
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Fuck NZ Tennis Association.

Being too greedy not sending a weak team to Fed Cup last year (reason given: fee of $50K that random countries like Oman or Pakistan did pay) and now they are banned for 2012 Fed Cup and only decent player (aside from Marina) is gone. Now they will have to use one of these girls they considered useless for Fed Cup. Karma is a bitch indeed :devil:

Kəv.
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:36 AM
http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2011/12/28/jones-elects-to-play-for-australia

TA's article on it.

Just Do It
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Bitch :lol:

Holdsworth
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Stubbsie:p
Is she Aboriginal ? -)

Gilas.
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Bitch leaving Marina-GOAT to salvage her country all alone :rolleyes:

Reptilia
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Meh :lol:

So Disrespectful
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Is she Aboriginal ? -)

Evonne Goolagong Cawley fits the criteria.

Papillon.
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Ashleigh Barty is. :p

Sammo
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Cool, to be honest I kinda suspected it but I wasnt sure

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Is she Aboriginal ? -)

Nah, probably convict ancestry ;-)

Pops Maellard
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:44 PM
One wc into Auckland vs a grand slam wc, two more events, at least she admits it is for the $$ not a single mention of her love for aust what a moll
This :p.

hellas719
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:10 PM
How classless of her to play the National Championships and take the Auckland MDWC and then do this :o

spiceboy
Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:59 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/tennis/news/article.cfm?c_id=94&objectid=10776123

Tennis: $500k and counting as Jones crosses ditch

The true cost of Sacha Jones' defection to Australia will be known only in the fullness of time but around $500,000 has so far been invested in her.

One long-time tennis administrator says it is the most money ever invested in a New Zealand tennis player. Not all of it came directly from Tennis New Zealand coffers - most was from sponsors and private individuals - but it was all money directed towards tennis in this country.

Tennis NZ started funding Jones when she was a promising 14-year-old in 2004 and that investment increased from 16 as she began to fulfil her potential. The cash grants covered travel, accommodation, living and coaching.
"It would be fair to say that close to half a million dollars has been invested in Sacha throughout her career so far," says Tennis NZ CEO Steve Johns. "Our funding has decreased in the last couple of years, as we have faced battles like most sports organisations in this country but in the past we have directed specific amounts of money towards each one of our elite players."

Jones received most of her financial support from the SEED foundation, an organisation founded in late 2006 to "provide total support to enable exceptional, emerging New Zealand tennis talent to fulfil their potential".
Former professionals Brenda Perry, Brett Steven and Chris Lewis were enlisted to decide who would receive funding. They were unapologetically elitist - in the initial years, only Marina Erakovic and Jones received funding as no other players (including all the men) were deemed to have a high enough ranking.

The funding was significant - Jones received "six figure amounts" in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Erakovic was funded as well, before the tap was turned off in 2009 after she was deemed to be self-sufficient when she broke into the top 100.
In total, Jones has received close to $400,000 in SEED support - all as cash - while Tennis NZ gave around $100,000 to the Aucklander.

Says SEED chairman Alan Chester: "It is the most money put into any New Zealand tennis player ever.
"It was provided on the understanding Sacha would keep appearing for New Zealand so the events of the last few days are very disappointing."

Jones was 16 when she received the first SEED money and still under 18 in 2008 when she received over $100,000.

"I can understand her point of view and the attraction of Australia but it is sad she won't follow in Marina's footsteps," says Chester. "We had high hopes for her."

Partly because of the economic recession, and partly because of a new SEED strategy which spreads the money around more (there were seven recipients in 2011), Jones has received only around $20,000 each of the past two years. This has created a significant shortfall and subsequent economic pressures for her. It costs at least US$120,000 ($150,000) for a year on the WTA tour and Jones won just over $20,000 in prize money last year.

Brenda Perry has a long association with Jones and understands her move.
"While it is a blow for New Zealand, it is an amazing opportunity for Sacha and ultimately tennis is an individual sport.
"She has not yet fully explored her potential and now is when she has to make it count. Ultimately it is better than her giving it away and you would also hope that if she does make it one day she is in a position to help put a young New Zealander through a scholarship or something; that would be a nice payback."

spiceboy
Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:02 PM
Pretty pathetic from NZ Tennis to air all these details...is like when you invest on a relationship and after it is over you start bitching around saying how good you were with her instead of being happy for her and her better future away from you. Especially sad coming from a National Federation :weirdo:

martinafan
Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
Pretty pathetic from NZ Tennis to air all these details...is like when you invest on a relationship and after it is over you start bitching around saying how good you were with her instead of being happy for her and her better future away from you. Especially sad coming from a National Federation :weirdo:

True, totally understand what you are saying here, but I did like the inside goss with all the figures there. $100,000 funding to cover travel and accommodation each year is quite a lucrative hand-out if you ask me....and the fact that it costs $120-$150,000 a year just to compete on the WTA tour makes it even more mind-boggling that some of the players can battle out on the challenger circuit year after year......

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 3rd, 2012, 10:48 PM
I guarantee that Tennis Australia will only give her funding for two years AT MOST. She's already 21. If she hasn't cracked the top 100 by the end of 2013, they will turn it off and she will come crawling back to New Zealand.

chingching
Jan 5th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Even though she is obviously taking advantage of both federations this will definately help her career. Maybe when she has found a base she can move back to new zealand. Anastasia Rodionova and Jarmila Gajdosova are perfect examples. And she could potentially help us! She will probably move back to new Zealand for 2016 olympics if she isn't ranked high enough to represent Australia.