PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Betting Odds (Oz): Serena, Kvitova, Azarenka lead

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:29 PM
2012 Australian Open Favorites: Serena Williams Shortest Betting Odds
From Bleacher Report

The 2012 Australian Open draws will be released on January 13, 2012 and at that time tennis fans will assess the chances of their favorite players.

At present Serena Williams is the outright favorite to win the title in the betting markets as the American has won the title at Melbourne Park five times, a total that makes the Aussie her best Grand Slam event in terms of total singles titles.

However, for the 2012 Aussie, Williams is not a crushing favorite with the sports punters at this point, perhaps due to the fact that she has not consolidated her comeback from her post-Wimbledon 2010 injury with a title in a major. Williams fell in the fourth round of Wimbledon 2011 to Marion Bartoli and the American also fell short of winning the US Open title this past fall as she lost to maiden Grand Slam titlist Samantha Stosur.

You have to think that there is more Grand Slam singles glory in the future for Williams but whether that will be sooner or later remains to be seen.

Here are the betting odds for the top seven favorites for the 2012 Australian Open at this point:

Serena Williams: +275 (11/4) Sportingbet
Petra Kvitova: +400 (4/1) Paddy Power
Victoria Azarenka: +900 (9/1) Victor Chandler
Samantha Stosur: +1200 (12/1) Victor Chandler
Caroline Wozniacki: +1400 (14/1) Boylesports
Kim Clijsters: +1400 (14/1) William Hill
Maria Sharapova: +1600 (16/1) Victor Chandler

Mynarco
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:30 PM
From a punter's POV, Wozniacki is a good bet

Sombrerero loco
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:40 PM
stosur :facepalm:

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Here's an in-depth analysis for the betting odds by Shane Lambert
(Bleacher Report)

Having not seen Clijsters play since Toronto it is hard to have confidence in the Belgian to win a Grand Slam as her ranking has dropped. The question mark isn't regarding her talent but just what to expect from her as she returns from injury after a very long layoff.

Sharapova has been fairly quiet since winning in Cincinnati and she has been disappointing in Melbourne for each of the last two seasons.

Sharapova lost to Maria Kirilenko at the 2010 Australian Open in the first round and the former world No. 1 could not defeat Andrea Petkovic in the fourth round this past season. The time off since withdrawing from the WTA championships certainly will have helped her recover from her ankle injury (although she has pulled out of WTA Brisbane), but with the disappointments from the last two seasons, it's hard to picture the Russian making the semifinals without a kind draw.

Besides Williams, Clijsters and Sharapova, none of the other players in the above list have ever made the final at Melbourne Park.

Kvitova's best performance was last season as she made the quarterfinal at the Australian Open. Her status as second favorite is no doubt a reflection of her title at Wimbledon and her play at the end of the 2011 season. Kvitova won the WTA Tour championship on the hard court surface in November and she has the tennis world's full attention right now. Kvitova is capable of playing anyone toe-to-toe and a Williams-Kvitova final could be a battle for the ages, a changing-of-the-guard type match.

Azarenka's deepest run at the Aussie came in 2010 when she lost to Williams in the quarters, a match the Belarusian had a huge lead in. As of yet, Azarenka has failed to make it to any Grand Slam final, the only player in the above list with that tag. While that does make her position as third favorite questionable, Azarenka did win two hard court titles in 2011. Additionally, she gave Kvitova a serious challenge in the championship match at the Tour Finals and that appears to have won her some backers.

However, the bottom line with Azarenka, in my view, is that her Slam results are worse than those of all her main competitors. The Belarusian only has a semifinal result from Wimbledon 2011 peaking through as a bright light in majors while everyone else in the above list has a much more impressive resume.

Stosur has done very little at Melbourne Park to warrant her status as fourth favorite, as her best results are fourth-round appearances in 2006 and 2010 respectively. She is the top-ranked Australian on tour but you have to wonder if that will hurt her more than help her at her country's biggest tennis tournament. As both the reigning US Open champion and the top-ranked Australian player, Stosur should be under more of a spotlight at Melbourne Park than she's ever been under before.

While she has proven that she can win seven matches in a slam, one fact that can't be ignored with Stosur is that she rarely finishes a tournament with such form as the form she displayed at the end of the 2011 US Open.

Stosur only won that one title last season, whether in WTA events or Grand Slam events. Despite being a mainstay in the top 20 since her run at the 2009 French Open, Stosur still only has three career titles to her credit. That is a piddly total for such a highly-ranked player and it proves that her best tennis generally abandons her when the pressure gets pumped up, with only the occasional counterexample.

Wozniacki is an interesting player and one that might be a little underrated in the above list. Many have been quick to argue that her No. 1 ranking remains unconsolidated without at least one Grand Slam title. However, even if that position is taken to be correct, a position that discounts the fact that the top ranking is about consistency as opposed to isolated tournament efforts,*Wozniacki's position as fifth favorite seems to underrate the Dane.

Wozniacki did make the semifinals last season, where she had Na Li against the ropes before she missed a match point in the second set before losing in three.

[]Points and counterpoints weighted, it's my opinion that the true top-seven favorites are as follows:

Petra Kvitova
Serena Williams
Caroline Wozniacki
Victoria Azarenka
Agniezska Radwanska
Maria Sharapova
Samantha Stosur

Radwanska, like Wozniacki, has been underrated as well, although the Polish player appears to be off a lot of fans' radars entirely. Keep in mind that Radwanska did make the quarters of the Aussie last season for the second time in her career, she picked up three hard court titles in the second half of 2011 (Carlsbad, Tokyo, and Beijing) and still just 22 years old, so you have to expect continued improvements from the Polish player.

In my opinion, a quarterfinal appearance is hers to lose provided she does not get a terrible draw and she has an outside chance at a semifinal spot.

In conclusion, the 2012 Australian Open will do five things in my opinion:

It promises to send last year's finalists, Kim Clijsters and Na Li, tumbling down the rankings, perhaps for good.*
It promises to show us what Serena Williams can do against increasingly younger and improving competition
It promises to make Petra Kvitova the top-ranked player in the world even if she does not win the title outright
It will show that Stosur is just a one-Slam wonder when it comes to the hard courts.*
And it will give current world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki a chance to silence her critics—something she has a reasonable chance of doing based on her play at the tournament last season.

Excelscior
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:46 PM
(Bleacher Report)

Having not seen Clijsters play since Toronto it is hard to have confidence in the Belgian to win a Grand Slam as her ranking has dropped. The question mark isn't regarding her talent but just what to expect from her as she returns from injury after a very long layoff.

Sharapova has been fairly quiet since winning in Cincinnati and she has been disappointing in Melbourne for each of the last two seasons.

Sharapova lost to Maria Kirilenko at the 2010 Australian Open in the first round and the former world No. 1 could not defeat Andrea Petkovic in the fourth round this past season. The time off since withdrawing from the WTA championships certainly will have helped her recover from her ankle injury (although she has pulled out of WTA Brisbane), but with the disappointments from the last two seasons, it's hard to picture the Russian making the semifinals without a kind draw.

Besides Williams, Clijsters and Sharapova, none of the other players in the above list have ever made the final at Melbourne Park.

Kvitova's best performance was last season as she made the quarterfinal at the Australian Open. Her status as second favorite is no doubt a reflection of her title at Wimbledon and her play at the end of the 2011 season. Kvitova won the WTA Tour championship on the hard court surface in November and she has the tennis world's full attention right now. Kvitova is capable of playing anyone toe-to-toe and a Williams-Kvitova final could be a battle for the ages, a changing-of-the-guard type match.

Azarenka's deepest run at the Aussie came in 2010 when she lost to Williams in the quarters, a match the Belarusian had a huge lead in. As of yet, Azarenka has failed to make it to any Grand Slam final, the only player in the above list with that tag. While that does make her position as third favorite questionable, Azarenka did win two hard court titles in 2011. Additionally, she gave Kvitova a serious challenge in the championship match at the Tour Finals and that appears to have won her some backers.

However, the bottom line with Azarenka, in my view, is that her Slam results are worse than those of all her main competitors. The Belarusian only has a semifinal result from Wimbledon 2011 peaking through as a bright light in majors while everyone else in the above list has a much more impressive resume.

Stosur has done very little at Melbourne Park to warrant her status as fourth favorite, as her best results are fourth-round appearances in 2006 and 2010 respectively. She is the top-ranked Australian on tour but you have to wonder if that will hurt her more than help her at her country's biggest tennis tournament. As both the reigning US Open champion and the top-ranked Australian player, Stosur should be under more of a spotlight at Melbourne Park than she's ever been under before.

While she has proven that she can win seven matches in a slam, one fact that can't be ignored with Stosur is that she rarely finishes a tournament with such form as the form she displayed at the end of the 2011 US Open.

Stosur only won that one title last season, whether in WTA events or Grand Slam events. Despite being a mainstay in the top 20 since her run at the 2009 French Open, Stosur still only has three career titles to her credit. That is a piddly total for such a highly-ranked player and it proves that her best tennis generally abandons her when the pressure gets pumped up, with only the occasional counterexample.

Wozniacki is an interesting player and one that might be a little underrated in the above list. Many have been quick to argue that her No. 1 ranking remains unconsolidated without at least one Grand Slam title. However, even if that position is taken to be correct, a position that discounts the fact that the top ranking is about consistency as opposed to isolated tournament efforts,*Wozniacki's position as fifth favorite seems to underrate the Dane.

Wozniacki did make the semifinals last season, where she had Na Li against the ropes before she missed a match point in the second set before losing in three.

[b]Points and counterpoints weighted, it's my opinion that the true top-seven favorites are as follows:

Petra Kvitova
Serena Williams
Caroline Wozniacki
Victoria Azarenka
Agniezska Radwanska
Maria Sharapova
Samantha Stosur[\b]

Radwanska, like Wozniacki, has been underrated as well, although the Polish player appears to be off a lot of fans' radars entirely. Keep in mind that Radwanska did make the quarters of the Aussie last season for the second time in her career, she picked up three hard court titles in the second half of 2011 (Carlsbad, Tokyo, and Beijing) and still just 22 years old, so you have to expect continued improvements from the Polish player.

In my opinion, a quarterfinal appearance is hers to lose provided she does not get a terrible draw and she has an outside chance at a semifinal spot.

It promises to send last year's finalists, Kim Clijsters and Na Li, tumbling down the rankings, perhaps for good.*
It promises to show us what Serena Williams can do against increasingly younger and improving competition
It promises to make Petra Kvitova the top-ranked player in the world even if she does not win the title outright
It will show that Stosur is just a one-Slam wonder when it comes to the hard courts.*
And it will give current world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki a chance to silence her critics—something she has a reasonable chance of doing based on her play at the tournament last season.

Mmmmhh. Interesting.

Shane Lambert, is actually one of those people that picked Kvitova to win Wimbledon before it started. But his website affiliation was from Crunch Sports Betting Service.

So maybe this was republished on Bleacher Report?

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Since it's still early expect the betting odds to keep changing especially after the first couple of event have played out.

Mmmmhh. Interesting.

Shane Lambert, is actually one of those people that picked Kvitova to win Wimbledon before it started. But his website affiliation was from Crunch Sports Betting Service.

So maybe this was republished on Bleacher Report?

It's actually from my tennis app on my iPad and I have noticed most stories are republished. So yeah I'm sure it was republished

Excelscior
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Since it's still early expect the betting odds to keep changing especially after the first couple of event have played out.

It's actually from my tennis app on my iPad and I have noticed most stories are republished. So yeah I'm sure it was republished

OK. Cool.

That's what I figured.

I was just trying to do you a favor. Cause no here respects Bleacher Report (though you weren't the OP using it), it seems. And someone may of pointed that out. But like I said, you weren't the OP, so maybe no one would of even noticed. :lol: :) :lol:

sunsfuns
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:03 PM
How about Li? No one giving her a chance to go one better this time around? Despite her poor results since RG, it seems way more likely than Radwanska winning a slam.

terjw
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:24 PM
(Bleacher Report)

[]Points and counterpoints weighted, it's my opinion that the true top-seven favorites are as follows:

Petra Kvitova
Serena Williams
Caroline Wozniacki
Victoria Azarenka
Agniezska Radwanska
Maria Sharapova
Samantha Stosur

I think Shane Lambert is very dismissive of Kim. His assessment of Kim was fairly brief and he states it isn't her talent but because she's been out for a long time. But then he says AO will send her tumbling down the rankings perhaps for good.

He doesn't even list her at #7 or even add her as #8 for AO.

Leo_DFP
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I'd agree with those three as favorites and I'd put Clijsters as #4.

sammy01
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:30 PM
we will all know more in brisbane and sydney. i guess the question mark over kim is will she stay injury free? she was set to play the us open this year before the injury in toronto finished her year. if she plays brisbane and makes semis of better i expect her to end up as one of the top 3 favourites with the bookies. right now it is a wait and see thing.

as for the rest serena goes without saying, but vika is no way a favourite over most of the top 10, i see caro winning on the slow-ish hardcourts of the oz open before vika ever does.

Excelscior
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:36 PM
It's funny; Serena remained the same, and everyone else's odds seemed to grow lower/better.

Petra's actually down to 3:1 (or 7:2) now.
Azarenka's at 7
Stosur's at 9
Wozniaki, Sharapova and Clijsters are all at 12

Obviously these things will fluctuate. But that's what they are at the moment.

Obviously, Shane's outlook is a little different than these odds. Lol

Excelscior
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:38 PM
we will all know more in brisbane and sydney. i guess the question mark over kim is will she stay injury free? she was set to play the us open this year before the injury in toronto finished her year. if she plays brisbane and makes semis of better i expect her to end up as one of the top 3 favourites with the bookies. right now it is a wait and see thing.

as for the rest serena goes without saying, but vika is no way a favourite over most of the top 10, i see caro winning on the slow-ish hardcourts of the oz open before vika ever does.

Well, he did separate the REAL odds, from his ACTUAL picks and opinions. And he does have Wozniaki a better pick than Azarenka.

Obviously, play in the warm up tournaments can alter these perceptions.

Leo_DFP
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:50 PM

Let's consider Azarenka's play at the last three very meaningful tournaments:
Wimbledon- tough 3-set loss to eventual champion Kvitova
US Open- tough 2-set loss to eventual finalist Serena
YEC- tough 3-set loss in final to Kvitova

Compare to Wozniacki.

Yes, Aza's odds should be higher of winning this one.

RenaSlam.
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Step.

sammy01
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Let's consider Azarenka's play at the last three very meaningful tournaments:
Wimbledon- tough 3-set loss to eventual champion Kvitova
US Open- tough 2-set loss to eventual finalist Serena
YEC- tough 3-set loss in final to Kvitova

Compare to Wozniacki.

Yes, Aza's odds should be higher of winning this one.

but these are odds to WIN, not to have a decent showing. all you have just posted tells me that even if she goes deep (and she is more than prone to not making it far) then there are at least 2 players who have her number or are just better players than her (probably 3 if kim is in any sort of form) not to mention her horrible record with wozniacki. i give li a better chance of outright winning than vika as if li hits a hot patch she can actually beat the very best players, cant say this for vika.

Drake1980
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:45 AM
I think Kuznetsova shocks the world and wins! :eek:

pav
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Beware the Bepanator (wishful thinking probably)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kahu/images3-1.jpg

centipede
Dec 28th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Interesting. I really hope we have a Kvitova-Serena final. :drool: with both ladies on. I don't know how Serena is going to be though? If she wins Brisbane, it looks good for her to win, but even if she loses early in Brisbane she could come out blazing at the OZ. That's just Serena.

mac47
Dec 28th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Beware the Bepanator (wishful thinking probably)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kahu/images3-1.jpg

Might be wishful, but I'm wishing it with you. Would love Bepa to have a slam win.

_inocencia_
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:25 AM
I go 4 kvitova, she's my 1st favorite to win. oh bookies :)

marineblue
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:31 AM
There is one interesting thing that all these players have in common. All signed up with NIKE...
Betting business is far from the most innocent field in the world :-)

Steven.
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Pretty fair odds, and no different from any other. It's just based off YEC results, which is the best grasp we currently have on their form, so 2-4 sounds about right for Kvitova, Azarenka and Stosur. Obviously 1 would have to go to a 5 time AO champion who also happened to win the entire tournament the last two times she played, and the only reason why the defending champion is so 'low' is because she's basically been MIA since Miami.

bandabou
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Azarenka has been consistent..but somehow with her you always have the feeling: there's somebody better than her.

Until she can develop a big enough serve to begin with, can't see her winning a major.

Maddox
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Serena
Kvitova
Clijsters
Li Na
Sharapova
Wozniacki
Azarenka
Stosur

In that order for me

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Azarenka has been consistent..but somehow with her you always have the feeling: there's somebody better than her.

Until she can develop a big enough serve to begin with, can't see her winning a major.

That's what I would have said about her last year but this time around I wouldn't be surprised if she had a break through year- with that said if she didn't win a slam this year that wouldn't surprise me either.

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I would also put Wozniacki in that list.:cheer:

backhandsmash
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
BepaMaria will make a killing this AO. Vera is 26/1!

dsanders06
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Bookies' odds are notoriously useless at this early stage due to a low volume of punts... I can guarantee that when the AO starts, there is no WAY Kim will have longer odds than Azarenka or Wozniacki :lol:

Stamp Paid
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Samantha Stosur only has 3 titles?!

terjw
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Bookies' odds are notoriously useless at this early stage due to a low volume of punts... I can guarantee that when the AO starts, there is no WAY Kim will have longer odds than Azarenka or Wozniacki :lol:

Kim doesn't have longer odds than Caro at the moment as stated several posts back. :rolleyes: Kim, Sharapova and Caro have the same odds. I realise you are obsessed and desperate to mention Caro's name in every single post. But try to make an attempt to keep up.

MB.
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Serena Williams: +275 (11/4) Sportingbet
Petra Kvitova: +400 (4/1) Paddy Power
Victoria Azarenka: +900 (9/1) Victor Chandler
Samantha Stosur: +1200 (12/1) Victor Chandler
Caroline Wozniacki: +1400 (14/1) Boylesports
Kim Clijsters: +1400 (14/1) William Hill
Maria Sharapova: +1600 (16/1) Victor Chandler

Vika's strikes me a bit high. Kim should be a bit higher, and I'm surprised that Maria is lower than Caro :lol:

atominside
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I like when maria isnt one of the top faves :)

terjw
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Vika's strikes me a bit high. Kim should be a bit higher, and I'm surprised that Maria is lower than Caro :lol:

Read http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=20641191&postcount=12

AcesHigh
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I can't see Azarenka as a favorite for any slam at this point

Batemant
Dec 29th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I just have a hunch that Vika's going to pull this one out. It's her time.

Smitten
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:37 AM
:lol: Azarenka.

I wonder what random girl will straight set her for this slam.

Stonerpova
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:00 AM
:lol: Azarenka.

I wonder what random girl will straight set her for this slam.

Her losses this year to those mugs Serena, Kvitova, and Li were truly embarrassing :rolleyes:

Smitten
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:07 AM
You're being sarcastic, but they actually were.

The way she was reduced to being a spectator in the majority of all 4 matches. She's useless.

Geertvg
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Those odds are very high (low? :p) for Clijsters. Placed a bet now.

Tennisation
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Kim is underestimated just because she's been MIA, but don't forget she's very much like Serena in that she can win a slam without much prep.

Monzanator
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Another year of fumbling in the slams, and I'd really think Azarenka is above her head with all the perennial hype. Winning Key Biscayne is not good enough anymore. Even mugs like Zvonareva made multiple GS finals :shrug:

C. Drone
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM
this is just useless.
every bookmakers use the same mathematical functions to determine the odds. And the money people put on players determines the functions.
So basically current odds shows where people put their money. But I dont care what others do with their money, I have my own rules and insticts (fail or not) to use my money.
With that, Azarenka and Kvitova odds are jokes. Serena is okay-ish looking her past record, Clijsters and Caro are ok.

Critique
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:23 PM
People are trying to defend Kim's odds, and I can't understand why. She's done nothing all year since the French and has been plagued with injury. Beating Wozniacki in exhibition does not propel you to the top of bet365 :o

dsanders06
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:36 PM
You're being sarcastic, but they actually were.

The way she was reduced to being a spectator in the majority of all 4 matches. She's useless.

Yup. The only Slam which she exited this year in a somewhat dignified way was the US Open (and even in saying that, some people here have overrated her performance in that second set against Serena - it was a good but not great effort). At Wimbledon, she atleast competed respectably and hung in 'til the end, but it was still very telling how little bearing she had on the score the whole way through that match (only hit 1 winner in the set she won, didn't she?). In both her losses to Li, she just looked embarrassingly impotent. So, even though she did well at the YEC, she's gone into other Slams before in even better form, and still fizzled out unremarkably...so rating her as one of the favourites this time is :lol:

Excelscior
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Based off of last years play, recovering injury and prior history, those odds seem about right for the top 7 odds players (including Clijsters).

The only person you can really argue with are Stosur (who did win the US Open, but it was only her 3rd career title), cause she's shown a propensity to under perform at the Australian. But I'm sure she feels it's a new year/time.

Caro has her issues as well. Agreed. But she did make both the Australian and US Open semifinal this year. So she deserves some credit and recognition for that. Sharapova fans may argue she should be before Clijsters and maybe even Wozniaki (off general principle) based off of her total year, albeit not similar surface/big tournament results.

But you notice, those three are all grouped together anyway (with Sharapova taking up the rear).

Of course perceptions (along with the odds) can be reinforced or changed with play at Brisbane and Sydney.

We'll see?

Smitten
Jan 12th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Azarenka near the top of these things. :spit:

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 30th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Laughing at all u that thought it was ridiculous to give Azarenka good odds to win...she and her fans get the last laugh after all...

justineheninfan
Jan 30th, 2012, 04:32 AM
I dont see why anyone was surprised by Azarenka's odds. Why on earth would any of:

Stosur- home pressure, played poorly in warm ups. Still unproven as a "regular" slam contender.
Wozniacki- lol!
Clijsters- barely played in the last year. Form a total mystery.
Sharapova- barely played since September. Form seemingly not good and if anything was the most surprisingly strong performance of anyone considering.

It would have made no sense for her to have been below any of those. The one most overrated in the betting odds was as I predicted Kaia Kanepi. One good minor tournament and suddenly a mildly dangerous mostly underachieving career journeywomen is a top 8 favorite for the title, please. Talk about bandwagon jumping.

Slutiana
Jan 30th, 2012, 04:42 AM
I dont see why anyone was surprised by Azarenka's odds. Why on earth would any of:

Stosur- home pressure, played poorly in warm ups. Still unproven as a "regular" slam contender.
Wozniacki- lol!
Clijsters- barely played in the last year. Form a total mystery.
Sharapova- barely played since September. Form seemingly not good and if anything was the most surprisingly strong performance of anyone considering.

It would have made no sense for her to have been below any of those. The one most overrated in the betting odds was as I predicted Kaia Kanepi. One good minor tournament and suddenly a mildly dangerous mostly underachieving career journeywomen is a top 8 favorite for the title, please. Talk about bandwagon jumping.
I'm sure many people expected her to face a big hitter and get knocked off the court as usual. Despite the fact that she played two slam champions, this was an incredible draw for her and couldn't have been any better aside from facing a bunch of her beloved scrubs.

justineheninfan
Jan 30th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I'm sure many people expected her to face a big hitter and get knocked off the court as usual. Despite the fact that she played two slam champions, this was an incredible draw for her and couldn't have been any better aside from facing a bunch of her beloved scrubs.

True, I didnt expect her to win. However giving her better odds than the women I mentioned made total sense. Can you say any of those 4 should have been given better odds, and if so which one. These days in womens tennis often nobody seems likely to win, Serena and Kvitova seemed to be the only 2 feasible options pre tournament.