PDA

View Full Version : Modern all court tennis

ToopsTame
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:23 PM
A great highlights reel
xGNfKer-SnQ

Do you think we'll get players playing this style again? I thought Mauresmo and Henin were interesting in this match because they were clearly playing modern tennis (high speed, heavy spin, hard shots) but used a large variety of shots and utilized every part of the court. A modern version of the classic all court game. No one seems to have picked up the mantle since they retired however. One handed backhands, which seem to help this style, are extinct in the upper levels of the game and the volleys of top players are usually abysmal. Ironically, Serena and Venus, who the press liked to mislabel originally as bashers, play much more of a tactical all court style today than most players.

Don't get me wrong, I love power tennis and could watch big babes all day, but I do wish there were a few more styles on tour. Now with the next generations we seem to be narrowing down to only two, grinders and big hitters. Are there any players in today's generation who might play like this?

Morning
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:32 PM
With a few tiny flaws I think Caroline plays all-round game right now.

Mauresmo may have had a bit better net play, Henin might have been a bit better in spinning the ball, but overall in modern tennis (2010-...) Wozniacki has the most ballanced style of play.

Tennis is different now than in Amelie's times. Those times are in the past for ever. Tennis is different now, but isn't less beautiful than 5-7 years ago.

Moveyourfeet
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:48 PM

Mauresmo may have had a bit better net play, Henin might have been a bit better in spinning the ball, but overall in modern tennis (2010-...) Wozniacki has the most ballanced style of play.

Say what???

There's nothing all-round about Caro's game. She doesn't have the talent to play all court tennis.

mac47
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Kvitova plays all court tennis, attacking and moving in, using droppers and lobs, and hitting touch volleys, but doesn't move as well as Juju or Momo.

ARad at her best can also put on a fun show using all parts of the court.

ToopsTame
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:53 PM

Tennis is different now than in Amelie's times. Those times are in the past for ever. Tennis is different now, but isn't less beautiful than 5-7 years ago.

Are you just winding me up? Have you seen Wozniacki at net? Have you seen Wozniacki try to hit a winner? What part of her game is "ballanced" to you? 99% of the time she hits the ball back deep and with lots of spin away from the lines. It's a good strategy and it works but by no means is it balanced or even remotely all court tennis.
Did you see Mauresmo's half volleys? Henin's passing shots? the chips and charges from both? the offensive and defensive slices? the topspin lobs? the smashes? the changes of pace and spin?

You think the modern era started in 2010? Are you serious? Have you seen Wozniacki's h2h against Henin, Clijsters and the Williamses, those bygones from an era that is "in the past for ever?"
Did you see what Serena did to her at the US Open?
RjhRFYIfQ0A

Wozniacki's game is effective and makes the most of her advantages (endurance and consistency) but it is not all court, not balanced and not beautiful.

Morning
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Say what???

There's nothing all-round about Caro's game. She doesn't have the talent to play all court tennis.

Your opinion is valuable but invalid.

Have you got some sort of a talent-meter? I double you have. Next time make sure your post is grounded before hitting a 'submit' button.

ToopsTame
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Your opinion is valuable but invalid.

Have you got some sort of a talent-meter? I double you have. Next time make sure your post is grounded before hitting a 'submit' button.

You trolled me good. :worship:

pov
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM

IMO she has the ability to play that game and does so once-in-a-while but she often sticks herself into a defensive mind-set. For me 2012 well show a lot - one way or the other. This will be the first year in Wozniacki's top-5 tenure that she isn't the newbie top-dog. Kvitova took up the gauntlet.

Morning
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Are you just winding me up? Have you seen Wozniacki at net? Have you seen Wozniacki try to hit a winner? What part of her game is "ballanced" to you? 99% of the time she hits the ball back deep and with lots of spin away from the lines. It's a good strategy and it works but by no means is it balanced or even remotely all court tennis.
Did you see Mauresmo's half volleys? Henin's passing shots? the chips and charges from both? the offensive and defensive slices? the topspin lobs? the smashes? the changes of pace and spin?

You think the modern era started in 2010? Are you serious? Have you seen Wozniacki's h2h against Henin, Clijsters and the Williamses, those bygones from an era that is "in the past for ever?"

There's no point to argue with you, because you ignore the most important fact - tennis has changed since Henin and Mauresmo's time. By modern tennis standards Wozniacki has got the most ballanced game.
H2H is the last argument to use. Simply because it's senseless.
If Wozniacki peaked 5 years ago (was 5 years older) and played in 2005 the way she plays today, you would have the right to draw parallels, compare her etc... Didn't happen, so move on, put that nostalgia aside;)

Morning
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:11 PM
IMO she has the ability to play that game and does so once-in-a-while but she often sticks herself into a defensive mind-set. For me 2012 well show a lot - one way or the other. This will be the first year in Wozniacki's top-5 tenure that she isn't the newbie top-dog. Kvitova took up the gauntlet.

I actually agree. Sometimes she seems to forget she's able to play an all-court game and turns to be a bit more defensive than she should. Yeah, 2012 will tell a lot. IMO Kvitova will make Caroline stronger and will motivate her to reach new highs, because, let's be honest, the last two years Wozniacki has rarely faced any serious opposition.

centipede
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I understand that things have changed since Mauresmo or Henin have retired but um Wozniaccki is definitely not the most all-around player. :help:

At least pick someone like Kvitova, who actually comes to net and uses slices. She's definitely the most all-around court player. Maybe Stosur or Radwanska.

Moveyourfeet
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Tennis has not changed since 2007, and neither has the definition of all-court. An all court player has a good baseline, transition and net game, and works their game plan around these parts of their game.

Anyone claiming Caro is an all-court player needs :help:

Watch Caro play an all court player (albeit an average one):

UZ7L773IUbE

SwingVolley93
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:50 PM
The all Court players now are, Petra Stosur or Aga. That about it. :wavey:

Morning
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:06 PM
At least pick someone like Kvitova, who actually comes to net and uses slices. She's definitely the most all-around court player. Maybe Stosur or Radwanska.

You started to follow tennis in Oct of 2011? That explains. No questions to you.

Kvitova and Stosur as the most all-round players? Merriment at its finest, thank you!:lol:

effedcamel
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:10 PM
The all Court players now are, Petra Stosur or Aga. That about it. :wavey:

IMO I think you can extrapolate on this, with Kvitova being the best all-court player right now. Kim (when she plays well) is a little behind Kvitova but reverts to retrieving more than all-court tactics.

Stosur, Radwanska and Schiavone are all-court players and have the right mentality to play from most parts of the court but have limitations in their games (backhand & movement, power, consistency & penetration respectively) that put them a minor cut below.

Mistress of Evil
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Yeap, Henin and Mauresmo were the last of their kind. :sad: Not sure that we will see such all-round, versatile players ever again or at least soon :awww:

Morning
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Yeap, Henin and Mauresmo were the last of their kind. :sad: Not sure that we will see such all-round, versatile players ever again or at least soon :awww:

Either we adapt to the modern tennis or we stop followin it at all, close this site, and say ciao forever to each other. In the former case we must realise Caroline Wozniacki represents the beautiful tennis a-la Mauresmo these days. Different, not the same, but alike. Why to bitch about the great past when we have such a charming present?:hearts:

centipede
Dec 27th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Either we adapt to the modern tennis or we stop followin it at all, close this site, and say ciao forever to each other. In the former case we must realise Caroline Wozniacki represents the beautiful tennis a-la Mauresmo these days. Different, not the same, but alike. Why to bitch about the great past when we have such a charming present?:hearts:

Are you trolling? Because Wozniaki is a baseline camper who constantly retrieves. How is that all around? :confused:

centipede
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:02 PM
You started to follow tennis in Oct of 2011? That explains. No questions to you.

Kvitova and Stosur as the most all-round players? Merriment at its finest, thank you!:lol:

Started following tennis in October 2011? LOL anyway Kvitova/Stosur are way better picks for a all-around court player than Caroline. Please. :rolleyes:

Potato
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:21 PM

Tea making multiple accounts in order to become the ultimate TWAT. :worship:

Moveyourfeet
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Are you trolling?

Asked and answered.

You trolled me good. :worship:

centipede
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Asked and answered.

I would hope so. :lol:

SwingVolley93
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Tea GTFO

:wavey:

Brad[le]y.
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:49 PM
He's already banned again :lol: he made an account just to call me a 'tool' on the chat-threads and got banned right after the post :awww:

anyway, I think Kvitty and Aga have the best 'all court' game from the new generation although that's not saying much

Sammo
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Kvitova's volleys are :shrug:

mac47
Dec 28th, 2011, 03:58 AM
0j3665dTW14

mac47
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Better yet: cBGBpCjCAzw

ToopsTame
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I really like Kvitova. She has soft hands at net and uses a that backhand slice effectively. She's more in the mould of Davenport than Henin or Mauresmo though. A player with great timing who is great at the baseline and at net but doesn't have a great transition game because of relatively low footspeed. Like Davenport too, Kvitova doesn't have to change the pace much from the baseline because when her timing is on she hits great flat shots over and over. Mauresmo used to play like that before her injury too. After her surgery she couldn't go for winners as easily from the baseline and developed a fantastic midcourt repertoire.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Modern all around players don't exist right now, though Kvitova comes close - if surfaces were faster she'd probably come in after every first serve, but with modern moonball friendly courts, it's way easier to just grind from the baseline with consistency and wait for error a la Dullniacki. Lack of variety in both men's and women's game is due to surface homogenization where talent,touch and finesse has been replaced with grinding, counterpunching, consistency, fitness and stamina. And people still wonder why modern tennis has so many injuries.

Steven.
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Kvitova is not an all court player, unless you want to count Davenport as one as well lol. Serena would be a better fit than as an all-courter Kvitova is considered one because Serena has better drop shots and volleys, and can actually move. We all know she isn't though :lol: So in conclusion, nah there isn't any all court players from generation suck... Radwanska comes closest when she isn't playing a power player (otherwise she's just a retriever, like Woz). Sad, but that's reality.

L'Enfant Sauvage
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Well I think Kvitova has all court capabilities. We all know she can hit the cover off a ball from the baseline, despite her mediocre movement she has some pretty good defensive shots like her slice backhand, and she has good hands at the net. She's got the skillset of all all-round great player. However, it's true that the label "all-court" is a bit much, it refers more to how you play than just your skills. Like said above, going by that criteria Davenport, or even Venus would be considered "all court" when in actuality they are just offensive baseliners with diverse skillsets. The sad thing is, that should be EXPECTED of a top player, but instead it makes Petra an exception... But anyways yeah, in conclusion Petra is an "all ROUND" player, she can do just about anything. Still, she's most comfortable(and I as a fan am most comfortable) when she is ravaging her opponents with her groundstroke bombs.

EDIT: And in today's game I'm pretty sure you can count out ever seeing an S&V player at the top, even one pretty well adapted for the modern game like Amelie. Just look at that match linked somewhere on this page, Serena vs Kvitova. Serena is no S&V player, but she's someone who at the very least likes to finish points at net. Still, in her match versus Petra she was essentially pinned to the baseline for fear of getting passed at will. In today's game, where more and more players aim for the lines on every stroke you're far less likely to see many good plays at the net against top players. Forget seeing a Mauresmo, it'll be a while before we even see a Henin, who wasn't even as reliant on her volleys as Mauresmo. S&V has always been a risk-reward playstyle, even in it's heyday. Now more than ever though, it's more risk than reward.

The only way I can see this change is if the surface slowing down continues to be inviting to Wozniacki-like players to rise and take over the game. Then a good netgame might be a NECESSITY to break through their defense, but that remains to be seen.

duhcity
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Petra reminds me Venus. Give her a difficult stretch volley and she can do amazing things.
Easy putaways or swing volleys, she'll put them down the middle and easily retrievable. She really needs to work on that aspect of the game.

bobito
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Petra reminds me Venus. Give her a difficult stretch volley and she can do amazing things.
Easy putaways or swing volleys, she'll put them down the middle and easily retrievable. She really needs to work on that aspect of the game.

She needs to close down the net better so that she can kill the easy ones.

He's already banned again :lol: he made an account just to call me a 'tool' on the chat-threads and got banned right after the post :awww:

Is he trying to set a record for being banned the most times during one off-season?

Petronius
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Kvitova is not an all court player, unless you want to count Davenport as one as well lol. Serena would be a better fit than as an all-courter Kvitova is considered one because Serena has better drop shots and volleys, and can actually move. We all know she isn't though :lol: So in conclusion, nah there isn't any all court players from generation suck... Radwanska comes closest when she isn't playing a power player (otherwise she's just a retriever, like Woz). Sad, but that's reality.

Lol, our non-biased 'expert' Steven has spoken again.

:kiss:

http://www.urbanchristiannews.com/ucn/petra-kvitova-maria-sharapova-WIMBLEDON-01.jpg

Apoleb
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I don't quite agree with Davenport-Kvitova comparisons. Kvitty has a much more aggressive court positioning, generally hits a bigger ball and is looking more to move foreward, which gives her more access to the net than Davy. She's also much more comfortable on stretch volleys.The latter makes up for that by better footwork and consistency from the baseline. Overall, Kvitty is a good/solid net player - has brilliant drop volleys (especially her forehand drop volley), but not completely natural up there as she lacks the transitional volleys of someone like Mauresmo.

I agree with Kvitova and Radwanska as the current "all-court" players, with an obvious edge to Kvitova. Radwanska actually has very good transitional volleys, but it takes a lot of effort to be able get a ball that allows her to play at the net.

Steven.
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:51 AM

http://www.urbanchristiannews.com/ucn/petra-kvitova-maria-sharapova-WIMBLEDON-01.jpg

And the obvious reason for the lack of intelligence in your response is due to the fact that you know shit about tennis. Probably learned everything you knew from TF or something, and probably only started following tennis after this year's Wimbledon.

I could post a picture of Maria with her Wimbledon trophy and be like'SHE HAS ALL COURT TENNIS, JUST LOOK AT THIS PHOTO OF HER CARESSING HER WIMBLEDON TROPHY IT'S ALL THE PROOF YOU NEED LOL' just like you're doing with Kvitova.

madmax
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:59 AM

so this pic of Kvitty holding a Wimby trophy proves that she's all-court player I take then?:lol: Was 17 years old Maria all courter too?

Mistress of Evil
Dec 28th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Such a sexy back, Martha so steals the spotlight! :hearts:

terjw
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Yep - I agree with that.

mac47
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:26 AM
9:34 in this vid. Hands, anyone?

eanoH72Dyjk

Smitten
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Legend did it best.

Steven.
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:36 AM
The seriously wrong thing about certain Kvitova fans in this thread is that they think nit picking a few sporadic amazing point where Kvitova seemingly plays 'all-court tennis' means she does infact play all court tennis, when rather it just means she had fantastic court coverage on said few sporadic points.

She's an aggressive, offensive baseline player up to this point in her career, and anyone who says otherwise is deluded.

Geertvg
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:49 AM
The seriously wrong thing about certain Kvitova fans in this thread is that they think nit picking a few sporadic amazing point where Kvitova seemingly plays 'all-court tennis' means she does infact play all court tennis, when rather it just means she had fantastic court coverage on said few sporadic points.

She's an aggressive, offensive baseline player up to this point in her career, and anyone who says otherwise is deluded.

This.

Apoleb
Dec 29th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Legend did it best.

:rolleyes: "Legend" is going to snap in two at any moment now if you keep stretching her this far.

A true all-court player needs more power and more athleticism. Justine>Hingis far and away in being a true all court player.

Go look up the number of times she approached the net in Linz and the YEC. Stepping inside the court and attack the net has become an integral part of her game. She must have hit like 20 drop volleys just in her last two matches at the YEC.

Nobody is buying your act that you're NOT a Crapova fan or that you're unbiased. That windex line and all.

So Disrespectful
Dec 29th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Daniela has all-court capabilities and sometimes uses the forecourt well, but she should definitely do so a lot more.

rockstar
Dec 29th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Daniela has all-court capabilities and sometimes uses the forecourt well, but she should definitely do so a lot more.

she does, unfortunately i would classify her as a ball-basher with above-average variety. a pity she doesn't come in to volley more

mac47
Dec 29th, 2011, 11:49 AM

Aggressive baseliners don't generally approach the net off their own shots, and they don't approach the net 20 or 30 times a match. Petra does.

We are watching tennis in the age of Luxilon, where serve and volley is a quaint anachronistic idea. To successfully attack the net, you must hit bombs from the baseline too. That is what she does.

That said, I agree with the observation that Kvitty needs to work on her putaway volleys. I don't put her forward as the best all-court player ever, but she's the only one of the WTA's top 10 who is likely to put in a show of attacking the net.

iPatty
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:05 PM

RjhRFYIfQ0A

Wozniacki's game is effective and makes the most of her advantages (endurance and consistency) but it is not all court, not balanced and not beautiful.

:haha: at the #1 not even making an appearance until past the 7-minute mark. Despicable.

The Dawntreader
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Wimbledon 2008 final- one of the more recent examples of all-court tennis.

A'DAM
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I agree with Kvitty,Aga,Schiavone maybe Stosur (Serena,Kim,Venus when they actually play tennis) to be the names to call when we talk about all court style IMHO

Steven.
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Aggressive baseliners don't generally approach the net off their own shots, and they don't approach the net 20 or 30 times a match. Petra does.

We are watching tennis in the age of Luxilon, where serve and volley is a quaint anachronistic idea. To successfully attack the net, you must hit bombs from the baseline too. That is what she does.

That said, I agree with the observation that Kvitty needs to work on her putaway volleys. I don't put her forward as the best all-court player ever, but she's the only one of the WTA's top 10 who is likely to put in a show of attacking the net.

I don't disagree at all. Kvitova has shown immense improvement on her net-play over the year and it's very pleasant to see that she's willing to put the hard work there to get even further. If I had to predict the future, I think in a couple years time, Kvitova will probably hit her peak and dominate from all areas of the court, similar to how Serena and Venus plays by powering away from the baseline as well as rushing to the net.

At this point though, she isn't an all court player. Her absolutely huge groundstrokes gets her easy put-away volleys at the net. There's no/minimal point construction in comparison to former top all-court tennis players like Henin and especially Hingis, who both, rather than throwing a constant stream of bombs at the opponent, utilizes net approach shots (not aiming for a winner/forced error, but solely to get to the net), drop shots, angles and other variety of methods to slowly approach the net and finish off the point with some volleys.

As I said before, even Serena isn't considered an all-court player, despite her very underrated and overlooked point construction skills, and her net skills which is almost unrivaled amongst active players.

But yea, Kvitova hsa very visibly improved her net skills over the past year, and I think she will continue improving it as her career goes on, eventually turning it into one of her main/big weapons in the later stages of her career when her movement inevitably deteriorates.

Start da Game
Dec 29th, 2011, 02:50 PM
one simple solution to bring back the variety in women's tennis: switching back to lighter balls......lighter balls + the present homogenized courts would be the best combo for the women's game......heavier balls sit up more and also travel slow giving the ballbashers the advantage......with lighter balls, the game quickens up and there's scope to see the women players employing the slices and net approaches more often......

Smitten
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:55 PM
:rolleyes: "Legend"

I love going back and forth with you over Legend.

ToopsTame
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I don't disagree at all. Kvitova has shown immense improvement on her net-play over the year and it's very pleasant to see that she's willing to put the hard work there to get even further. If I had to predict the future, I think in a couple years time, Kvitova will probably hit her peak and dominate from all areas of the court, similar to how Serena and Venus plays by powering away from the baseline as well as rushing to the net.

At this point though, she isn't an all court player. Her absolutely huge groundstrokes gets her easy put-away volleys at the net. There's no/minimal point construction in comparison to former top all-court tennis players like Henin and especially Hingis, who both, rather than throwing a constant stream of bombs at the opponent, utilizes net approach shots (not aiming for a winner/forced error, but solely to get to the net), drop shots, angles and other variety of methods to slowly approach the net and finish off the point with some volleys.

As I said before, even Serena isn't considered an all-court player, despite her very underrated and overlooked point construction skills, and her net skills which is almost unrivaled amongst active players.

But yea, Kvitova hsa very visibly improved her net skills over the past year, and I think she will continue improving it as her career goes on, eventually turning it into one of her main/big weapons in the later stages of her career when her movement inevitably deteriorates.

Very well said. Kvitova is quite good at net and possesses the ability to hit different types of shots but at the end of the day her game plan is that of a baseliner with a good net game. She doesn`t construct points like all court players do, by varying spins and pace and using all parts of the court to outmanoeuvre opponents. Her plan A is to keep hitting hard and deep until she gets a weak reply and then to finish the point by going for a winner or going to net. On days when that doesn't work, she has much more trouble winning matches. I'm not criticizing her, this style works really well and she has the timing and power to make it work but I don't think she constructs points like all court players do.

mac47
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I think you are all selling Kvitova quite short regarding point construction.

Apoleb
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:45 AM
The only reason people are proposing Kvitty is because no one else is even close.

But there's a lot to say about her flaresome approach to attacking tennis. Not only her propensity to attack the net, but the drop shots she utilizes because the frequent times she finds herself well in the court - and her slices are frequently measured aggressive slices with impressive depth, aimed at buying her time to anticipate and set up the next humongous groundstroke.

She's unique in those aspects among modern ball bashers, and I hope she keeps it up and builds on it.

Bluish
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I think Kvitova's capable of all court tennis, but she's a power baseliner and that's fairly obvious IMO.

Modern all court tennis, albeit very mediocre, comes in the form of Schiavone and Radwanska - when not playing power baseliners and stuck behing the baseline pushing all match.

:zzz:

mac47
Dec 30th, 2011, 01:04 AM
The only reason people are proposing Kvitty is because no one else is even close.

This. And I will root for whoever else is willing to play attacking tennis. Jana Novotna was my fave in the 90s.

I do think Kvitty's almost preternatural baseline power changes the dynamics of what all-court tennis ought to look like for her. I'll be ridiculed for comparing her to Federer again, but I really think the basic pattern is the same: Fed realizes that a straight attacking game is no longer a formula for success, so he pairs his net game with a solid ground game, and uses the latter to open up the former. He still has the net skills he used when he played serve and volley in winning his first Wimbledon, but if he were to try that style again, he would be slaughtered.

That's the only way to win slams as an attacking player in the age of Luxilon. It's the game Federer, Berdych, and Tsonga play. Otherwise, the other way to win slams is to be a grinder and play "one more ball" tennis like Djokovic and Nadal.

So: you can win from the baseline like Stosur. You can win playing baseline & attacking the net like Kvitova. But if you just try to come in to the net without a great ground game to open it up for you, you're toast (MJMS).

I should clarify: Kvitty does not just come in to put away short balls. She frequently hits a slice BH directly at her opponent and comes in behind it. She usually does this from inside the baseline. She also comes in behind shots that she knows will be forcing, even before the short reply has happened. Watch the video compilation of all her winners from Wimbledon: on most of them, you can see her coming in behind them to attack the net if a reply had come back.

The main point is that she is happy, eager, to be at the net. She doesn't have a phobia of it like some other members of the top 10. She moves in.