PDA

View Full Version : Who will win Hopman Cup?

Petronius
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Vote!

KBlade
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I think the Czechs' are the clear favourites here, but I definitely think the French more than a good chance of causing the upset as well.

everythingtaboo
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I hope France win, but I have a sneaky feeling about Spain & USA.

Mistress of Evil
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Can't wait to see Tomas vs Grigor vol.2! :drool:
Queen Petra will win this sh!t. :shrug:

backhandsmash
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Marion&Richard will take it. I have a feeling Petra will suck in this.

Mikey.
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:55 PM
It's indoors! Unless they don't really give a shit, Petra and Tomas should have this in the bag.

Ferg
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Top 2 seeds the clear favs. I wouldnt rule out the USA though, Mardy is great on fast courts and both are good volleyers.

Michael*
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Team Czechs or French, USA a dark horse

mac47
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I think the Czechs' are the clear favourites here, but I definitely think the French more than a good chance of causing the upset as well.

I agree. Marion matches up very well with Petra, and beat her at Eastbourne. Reeeshie is also awesome when he's on. But it's a bit disappointing that France couldn't get Jo Wilfried Tsonga or Gael "Spiderman" Monfils instead. If they had, they might be favorites.

The fact that the tourney is indoors will help the Czechs, as both Petra and Tomas like indoors best.

I would like to see Jarka play to her potential. She can hit it hard enough, but needs a sports psychologist.

Some very big servers in the women here: ace leaders Marion and Jarka, and Petra (whose serve doesn't produce as many aces, but is hard to handle in other ways).

Is there a link to the schedule?

mac47
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Top 2 seeds the clear favs. I wouldnt rule out the USA though, Mardy is great on fast courts and both are good volleyers.

Agree about Mardy Fish. He is top notch on fast courts, and has won this tournament before. Then again, that was with Serena, who aced Djokovic twice in the final doubles match, and reaction-volleyed one of his overheads (JJ, by contrast, was a liability for Novak).

Jorn
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:29 PM

Danes don't have much chance winning, but Frederik's grandfather is a GS winner in dubs... and he has won, (mainly on mens ITF's dubs titles)

All Danish ES viewers may know about the Great Kurt Nielsen...

misty1
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:50 PM
id rank the top 3 favorites like this:

czech republic
france
united states

i dont really see anyone else winning this event ..maybe spain but thats about it

Sombrerero loco
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:03 PM
team berdych for sure

Israel
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Has to be the Czech Republic, although I give some chance to some countries: France, USA and maybe Bulgaria.

Mary Cherry.
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Voted for the Czechs, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Team America (fuck yeah!) win it again this year.

Excelscior
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I agree. Marion matches up very well with Petra, and beat her at Eastbourne. Reeeshie is also awesome when he's on. But it's a bit disappointing that France couldn't get Jo Wilfried Tsonga or Gael "Spiderman" Monfils instead. If they had, they might be favorites.

The fact that the tourney is indoors will help the Czechs, as both Petra and Tomas like indoors best.

I would like to see Jarka play to her potential. She can hit it hard enough, but needs a sports psychologist.

Some very big servers in the women here: ace leaders Marion and Jarka, and Petra (whose serve doesn't produce as many aces, but is hard to handle in other ways).

Is there a link to the schedule?

Nice summary.

Yes France is dangerous; along with a couple of others. Should be an interesting warm up and start of the year.

One thing though. Keep in mind, Marion is Aces leader, only cause she plays so many matches. Didn't she play by far the most on the tour? I think Tennis.com did a aces per match avg the other day, and Marion' standing fell below 6-7 or she wasn't even in the top 10 any more. I don't think she's in the top 10 for highest serve hold percentage either.

Yes, she's a good server. But (some) numbers can be deceiving. They were very clear and demonstrative in pointing that out.

You'll find similar statistical anomalies on the ATP side as well.

Adidas Dude
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I voted for Czech Republic as they have the best chance based on surface and the preference of conditions (indoors). France, Spain and USA also have very strong chances. Dark horses include Denmark and Australia.

CZECH REPUBLIC - Petra and Berdych are both Top 10 and are the strongest of all the players. A lot will depend on how well they trained during the off-season and whether or not they got enough rest, but they should be riding high. Petra has Caroline in her group, and that has been billed as the match of the tournament. Not since 1999, when Lindsay played Martina has the World's top two players faced off in a Hopman Cup match. This should be good. Berdych has Fish, the next highest-ranked male player in the tournament, to contend with. That match could go either way. Should it come down to a mixed, it should be interesting. I don't know how well Petra plays mixed doubles but Berdych has some experience from previous years. Petra will be key to the doubles. The strength of her performance will determine their strength as a team.

USA - Returning as the defending champions, they are strengthened by the addition of Top 10 player, Fish. Bethanie is the lowest-ranked female in the competition this year, but as she proved this year, when she defeated Francesca, the highest-ranked female player of this year, rankings don't matter. Bethanie is solid in doubles and Fish has had plenty of doubles success. They should be a strong team. For the USA to win their Group, Fish needs to beat Berdych in their tie against Czech Republic. He will be too strong for Dimitrov and Nielsen.

DENMARK - While Caroline holds the No. 1 ranking, she's not the strongest female player in the competition. She should, however, defeat the other two women in her group - Bethanie and Tsvetana. This is pivotal, as Nielsen faces tough obstacles against Berdych, Fish and Dimitrov, who are all ranked far above him. If Caroline can hold her own in all of the mixed doubles matches, then Denmark will become a huge factor in the tournament. Nielsen has some doubles pedigree, but he will need to play like a Top 100 player if he is to support Caroline in this endeavour.

BULGARIA - The Bulgarians fall off the pace a little, on paper, but Tsvetana has been known to be a good big-match player, and she'll need to call on her resources if she is to beat Petra or Caroline. She is 50-50, in my mind, against Bethanie. Dimitrov should have it his own way against Nielsen, but like Tsvetana, has to raise his level against Berdych and Fish to stand any chance. Tsvetana is going to be the Captain for their team, as she has slightly more experience than Dimitrov here. Their chances in a live mixed aren't fantastic, but who knows, some teams just gel no matter what they are on paper.

FRANCE - Group B sees Marion as the second highest-ranked female behind China's Na Li. Their match in Session 1 will set the pace for the rest of the field. On paper, Na should win, but she has really tailed off during the latter part of the 2011 season while Marion has been able to remain consistent throughout. The match will be determined by which Na shows up. Marion should have the wood on Jarmila and Anabel, but both are dangerous players, capable of an upset. Gasquet's biggest challenge comes from Spain's Verdasco and to a slight extent, Hewitt. While Hewitt isn't the force he once was, he's still a Grand Slam champion and former World No. 1 and that's never to be written off. How well will Marion and Gasquet team in doubles? My impression is that Marion isn't very conventional for any type of doubles, but neither was Monica Seles, and look how well she did in this mixed competition. While an excellent all-court player, Gasquet doesn't really have much doubles background.

SPAIN - Anabel is the key to Spain's success. She has tough matches against Marion, Jarmila and Na. Her partner, Verdasco is the second highest-ranked male player in Group B behind Gasquet of France. He has a 50-50 chance against him. But also, relax against Hewitt, and Verdasco could very well lose that encounter. Wu is inexperienced by contrast but could be a surprise packet. He knows their games but the others might not know his. Anabel is a proven performer in women's doubles and teamed up well with Robredo a few years ago, while Verdasco has paired terribly with Lopez in Davis Cup. Spain will need both singles matches in each tie, if they don't fancy their chances in the mixed.

AUSTRALIA - Jarmila has a fast-paced and powerful game, but mentally, she is no giant (yet). Still, on her day, she is capable of upsetting Na, Marion and Anabel. Hewitt's best days are gone, but as he has proven time and time again, he's good on the big occasions and would see Gasquet and Verdasco as targets rather than a "challenge." So who knows with him. A lot rests on their singles chances. Should their ties come down to a mixed, Hewitt will have more than enough pedigree to help and push Jarmila, as he did with Alicia in her early days at the Hopman Cup. Still, that pedigree didn't help when he partnered up with Samantha and Casey, who are arguably better doubles players than Jarmila. So they remain a wildcard.

CHINA - China boasts the services of French Open Champion, Na Li, and she has the goods to win all of her singles matches during the week. It wouldn't be fair to suggest that Wu might not fare too well against the other men, as no one has really seen him play, but assuming he loses to the other men, all of their ties could potentially come down to the mixed. The strength of the woman normally determines the outcome of mixed doubles matches. Na is probably not China's best female doubles player, but she might enjoy the pace that the men give her. In that sense, she might actually surprise everyone in the mixed. As far as winning their mixed matches go though, a lot would depend on the unknown quantity of Wu.

Petronius
Dec 27th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I voted for Czech Republic as they have the best chance based on surface and the preference of conditions (indoors). France, Spain and USA also have very strong chances. Dark horses include Denmark and Australia.

Great summary, you are on top of things. :yeah:

danieln1
Dec 27th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Marion and her partner.

Morning
Dec 27th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Boring teams.:zzz: Why did Caroline bother to play there?
Anyway, I hope Australia wins.
I have almost no belief in my native country...

young_gunner913
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:13 PM
The match up of the tournament will be Berdych (CZE) vs Fish (USA). Please Mardy, find a way to pull off the upset. :sobbing:

Alexj
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:30 PM

CZECH REPUBLIC - Petra and Berdych are both Top 10 and are the strongest of all the players. A lot will depend on how well they trained during the off-season and whether or not they got enough rest, but they should be riding high. Petra has Caroline in her group, and that has been billed as the match of the tournament. Not since 1999, when Lindsay played Martina has the World's top two players faced off in a Hopman Cup match. This should be good. Berdych has Fish, the next highest-ranked male player in the tournament, to contend with. That match could go either way. Should it come down to a mixed, it should be interesting. I don't know how well Petra plays mixed doubles but Berdych has some experience from previous years. Petra will be key to the doubles. The strength of her performance will determine their strength as a team.

USA - Returning as the defending champions, they are strengthened by the addition of Top 10 player, Fish. Bethanie is the lowest-ranked female in the competition this year, but as she proved this year, when she defeated Francesca, the highest-ranked female player of this year, rankings don't matter. Bethanie is solid in doubles and Fish has had plenty of doubles success. They should be a strong team. For the USA to win their Group, Fish needs to beat Berdych in their tie against Czech Republic. He will be too strong for Dimitrov and Nielsen.

DENMARK - While Caroline holds the No. 1 ranking, she's not the strongest female player in the competition. She should, however, defeat the other two women in her group - Bethanie and Tsvetana. This is pivotal, as Nielsen faces tough obstacles against Berdych, Fish and Dimitrov, who are all ranked far above him. If Caroline can hold her own in all of the mixed doubles matches, then Denmark will become a huge factor in the tournament. Nielsen has some doubles pedigree, but he will need to play like a Top 100 player if he is to support Caroline in this endeavour.

BULGARIA - The Bulgarians fall off the pace a little, on paper, but Tsvetana has been known to be a good big-match player, and she'll need to call on her resources if she is to beat Petra or Caroline. She is 50-50, in my mind, against Bethanie. Dimitrov should have it his own way against Nielsen, but like Tsvetana, has to raise his level against Berdych and Fish to stand any chance. Tsvetana is going to be the Captain for their team, as she has slightly more experience than Dimitrov here. Their chances in a live mixed aren't fantastic, but who knows, some teams just gel no matter what they are on paper.

FRANCE - Group B sees Marion as the second highest-ranked female behind China's Na Li. Their match in Session 1 will set the pace for the rest of the field. On paper, Na should win, but she has really tailed off during the latter part of the 2011 season while Marion has been able to remain consistent throughout. The match will be determined by which Na shows up. Marion should have the wood on Jarmila and Anabel, but both are dangerous players, capable of an upset. Gasquet's biggest challenge comes from Spain's Verdasco and to a slight extent, Hewitt. While Hewitt isn't the force he once was, he's still a Grand Slam champion and former World No. 1 and that's never to be written off. How well will Marion and Gasquet team in doubles? My impression is that Marion isn't very conventional for any type of doubles, but neither was Monica Seles, and look how well she did in this mixed competition. While an excellent all-court player, Gasquet doesn't really have much doubles background.

SPAIN - Anabel is the key to Spain's success. She has tough matches against Marion, Jarmila and Na. Her partner, Verdasco is the second highest-ranked male player in Group B behind Gasquet of France. He has a 50-50 chance against him. But also, relax against Hewitt, and Verdasco could very well lose that encounter. Wu is inexperienced by contrast but could be a surprise packet. He knows their games but the others might not know his. Anabel is a proven performer in women's doubles and teamed up well with Robredo a few years ago, while Verdasco has paired terribly with Lopez in Davis Cup. Spain will need both singles matches in each tie, if they don't fancy their chances in the mixed.

AUSTRALIA - Jarmila has a fast-paced and powerful game, but mentally, she is no giant (yet). Still, on her day, she is capable of upsetting Na, Marion and Anabel. Hewitt's best days are gone, but as he has proven time and time again, he's good on the big occasions and would see Gasquet and Verdasco as targets rather than a "challenge." So who knows with him. A lot rests on their singles chances. Should their ties come down to a mixed, Hewitt will have more than enough pedigree to help and push Jarmila, as he did with Alicia in her early days at the Hopman Cup. Still, that pedigree didn't help when he partnered up with Samantha and Casey, who are arguably better doubles players than Jarmila. So they remain a wildcard.

CHINA - China boasts the services of French Open Champion, Na Li, and she has the goods to win all of her singles matches during the week. It wouldn't be fair to suggest that Wu might not fare too well against the other men, as no one has really seen him play, but assuming he loses to the other men, all of their ties could potentially come down to the mixed. The strength of the woman normally determines the outcome of mixed doubles matches. Na is probably not China's best female doubles player, but she might enjoy the pace that the men give her. In that sense, she might actually surprise everyone in the mixed. As far as winning their mixed matches go though, a lot would depend on the unknown quantity of Wu.

Yes he does. He's won a grand slam in mixed :wavey:
http://i39.tinypic.com/5do283.jpg

Nicolás89
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Na's and Caro's partners. :facepalm:

misty1
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM
fredrik is more than likely going to lose all 3 singles matches but he is a pretty good doubles player so..we'll see

Certinfy
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Tomas and Petra :inlove: A team made in heaven :drool:

Can't wait to see Tomas lose to Grigor again, I still have nightmares about that match nearly 3 years ago. :o

the jamierbelyea
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I think with Bethanie's doubles skill, her and Fish can be a dangerous sleeper team. Beth tends to play well in the team format anyway. For me it's hard to argue against the Czech and French, but if it comes down to doubles I wouldn't rule out the Americans or Spanish teams making it interesting .

I'd love to see China do well, but it's not very likely. Na does have a couple doubles titles under her belt, she even paired with JJ and won Eastbourne beating Huber/Craybas in the final. She showed some decent touch at the French, and if she's playing free and easy, could be good.

I just hope Na plays well enough in singles to make the doubles matches live, because I think it's obvious it should fall into her hands for that.

misty1
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:27 PM
if it comes down to doubles for spain they are screwed because contrary to what the spanish davis cup captain seems to think verdasco is not a good doubles player and anabel wont be able to win those matches on her own

mac47
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Mardy and Mattek-Sands can beat anyone in dubs. And Mardy can beat any of the men in singles. Therefore the USA can win this thing. I still think Czechs should be favorites, though.

Tennisfan06
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Marion, I mean France, will win it! :hearts:

longtin23
Dec 28th, 2011, 03:30 AM
CHina won;t win even NaNa won all her singles match....

Ksenia_PervakFAN
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Caro will win !

ExtremespeedX
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Czech Republic - the surface suits Petra and Berdych.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM
CHina won;t win even NaNa won all her singles match....

true :angel: anyway, it wont happen :oh: