PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best volleyer of recent years?

rimon
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I just did this, but can't believe that I forgot Lindsay. :tape: So I've deleted that thread and made this instead.

Holdsworth
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:53 AM
WTF is Sharapova doing in this list ?? :help: I voted for Mauresmo. Now Aga and Petra are best volleyers (besides WS)

RobinT83
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:55 AM
1)Sharapova, obviously
2)S. Williams
3)Capriati

ExtremespeedX
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Why are Clijsters and Sharapova even in the list? They are terrible volleyers. Zero skill at the net.

Potato
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Why are Clijsters and Sharapova even in the list? They are terrible volleyers. Zero skill at the net.

This. I'm so confused. Though Clijsters has more skill than Sharapova at net.

I pick Momo in terms of technique and finesse. Venus in terms of fearsomeness at net.

Mikey.
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Oh :spit: You deleted the old thread?

Mauresmo or Hingis.

Six Feet Under
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:03 AM
1. Bartoli
2. Sharapova
3. Wozniacki

Pops Maellard
Venus because of her mastery of both huge swinging volleys and regular volleys and her coverage at the net which is second to none.

Holdsworth
This. I'm so confused. Though Clijsters has more skill than Sharapova at net.

Everyone has more net skill, than Sharapova ))

SwingVolley93
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Def. Hingis then Justine then Amelie. Everyone else in the poll really sucks at uniform volleys....:shrug:

But Aga is def. best volleyer of new generation :hearts:

rimon
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I included Sharapova because she is a top player, and to fill the list. To those that actually voted for her though, HOW is she the best volleyer? :help:

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I really don't consider Sharapova's volleying skills great or anything but ppl are exagerating ALOT. she has great net coverage and can hit some very potent drop volleys at times, and even on the stretch.

Anyway, the answer is Mauresmo.

ranfurly
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Hingis, Mauresmo were wonderful volleyers. from their anticipation, to the fuidity, it looked textbook, second nature,

Now there is alot of players who look like headless chickens at the net, watching the likes of Hingis and Mauresmo at the net was a treat we don't see enough of.

hingisGOAT
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Hingis and Mauresmo by MILES. They only two on the list who served & volleyed their way to GS titles. Venus has piss-poor traditional volleys; get the ball at her feet and she loses the point. Henin is a good volleyer, but nowhere near as natural as Martina & Amelie.

JCTennisFan
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Its a toss up really. Mauresmo, Venus, Hingis, and Davenport are the best, though I cant say I can pick one out of the rest. Venus might be a bit better than the other 3 simply due to her ridiculous reach. Hingis and Mauresmo probably had the best technique, and Davenport was a combination of good technique and large wingspan.

MH0861
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Davenport is hugely underrated at the net, but gotta go with Amelie on this one.

ranfurly
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Its a toss up really. Mauresmo, Venus, Hingis, and Davenport are the best, though I cant say I can pick one out of the rest. Venus might be a bit better than the other 3 simply due to her ridiculous reach. Hingis and Mauresmo probably had the best technique, and Davenport was a combination of good technique and large wingspan.

Reach is certainly an asset to have, especially at the net.

Having great reach is an advantage to volleying, but not a skill of volleying.

timafi
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Amelie
Hingis

Henin

Venus is tall and has wider wing span but she does NOT have the best volleys.She got away with it because nobody but Amelie and to some extent Henin knew how to take time and the net away from her so she got away with it.Her net play is hugely overrated.The 3 ahead of her are simply head and shoulders.ALWAYS have.ALWAYS will!

Agi

Davenport

the rest are utter shit

eDonkey
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:27 AM
What about Stosur, Petrova, Radwanska? :help:

1. Bartoli
2. Sharapova
3. Wozniacki

1)Sharapova, obviously
2)S. Williams
3)Capriati

:spit:

From the abovementioned - it must be Hingis for sure. Sharapova?It is an offence to the game and all players that are in top 50 in the doubles rankings that Sharapova is considered better volleyer by some posters here.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:06 AM
hingis and its not even close.she was a great volleyer, i cant understand why even vinas is over her on the poll :facepalm:

MarkNL
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Mauresmo obviously :)

wally1
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Roberta Vinci by a big margin, and she's not even in the poll.

nevetssllim
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Probably not the best but I loved Davenport's volleys. :hearts:

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Masha wouldn't be top 100 of today.

V.e.s.W
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:36 AM
1. Mauresmo
2. Venus
3. Hingis
4. Henin

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Hingis
Maruesmo

Henin
Venus
Serena

The rest.

Mistress of Evil
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Having Martha as an option is such a low act of mockery :o rimon, you suck!

Pump-it-UP
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Mauresmo or Legend.

Venus is still better than them all at net though because of her reach.

everythingtaboo
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Hingis, but a special mention to Kiri (on a good day). The more doubles she played, the better her volleying skills have become. They're one of the main reasons she was able to beat Stosur in Asia and give her a good match at USO imo.

Matt01
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Venus because of her mastery of both huge swinging volleys and regular volleys and her coverage at the net which is second to none.

Venus' technique on her regular volleys isn't good. Mauresmo, Hingis and Henin are much better than her.

Hingis and Mauresmo by MILES. They only two on the list who served & volleyed their way to GS titles. Venus has piss-poor traditional volleys; get the ball at her feet and she loses the point. Henin is a good volleyer, but nowhere near as natural as Martina & Amelie.

Basically this.

LegionArgentina
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Martina and Amelie by far.Then Justine by far too.
The list is a joke by the way,there are other players with better volleyes than this girls :wavey:

Stamp Paid
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Mauresmo.

Sammo
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I voted Hingis because Mauresmo sucked in doubles :shrug:

What the hell are Sharapova, Capriati and Clijsters doing there? :help:

Smitten
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Legend.

mac47
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I don't know if I have ever seen Vee hit a touch volley. I have a lot of respect for her as a person, and her career is not to be sniffed at, but I wouldn't call her a great volleyer.

mac47
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Legend.

Can someone fill me in on how Hingis got this nickname? Was there a fan screaming something, like "You're a legend, he's a punk" to Connors playing Agassi?

Kworb
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Definitely Legend.

Javi.
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Sharapova, Clijsters, Capriati :facepalm:

MJMS, Aga or Vinci should be in the poll instead.

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:43 PM
In singles it's a toss up between Wingis and MoMo. Overall... Cara Black :worship:

Keegan
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Sharapova isn't the worst at the net. I've seen her hit some pretty nice volleys on occasion. Obviously not often enough to be considered anywhere near a relatively decent volleyer, especially compared to players with deft touch like Radwanska and Hingis, but I do think some people exaggerate how bad she is.

Anyway, Radwanska has brilliant skill at the next, and Kvitova is a capable volleyer. Out of the poll though, Hingis.

The Dawntreader
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Davenport had a lovely technique and such delicate hands to control the ball on impact, but i sometimes felt she was often guilty of not punching the volley away, and she would often place the volley and give her opponents a reprieve in the rally.

Hingis had the best instincts at the net in recent years, and Henin/Mauresmo/Venus probably close down the net better than most. Venus's volley technique is ungainly, but she has surprisingly good feel and timing on the volley. Plus her physique helps her too. Henin's backhand volley was a delight, able to hit high backhand volleys with such angle and depth.

Serena's net-play has improved, but her instincts at net are nowhere good as those aforementioned. She has the best smash of any player i've ever seen though, so that counts for a lot IMO. But her conventional volley is dicey, purely because usually her net approaches aren't deep enough and she's often passed or made to hit ridiculously tough volleys.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:47 PM
come on wingis had a better volley than amelie and all the rest in the poll

Ryan
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Hingis by miles, followed by Mauresmo and then Henin. Mauresmo has great volleys, but they're still nothing on Martina's - easily the best volleyer the game's seen, alongside Nav/Shriver/Novotna/Zvereva.

SVK
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Cara Black :worship:

True, how could we forget her?:eek:

Stamp Paid
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Hingis by miles, followed by Mauresmo and then Henin. Mauresmo has great volleys, but they're still nothing on Martina's - easily the best volleyer the game's seen, alongside Nav/Shriver/Novotna/Zvereva.Hingis is a bit before a lot of our times.
Any youtube videos that spotlight how good she volleyed back in her day?

hingisGOAT
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM
For starters I would watch her USO 1997 final highlights vs. Venus. A stunning serve-and-volley play on set point in the first set, and and even more stunning play on match point.

wayitis
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:19 PM
one-hand backhanders have a natural advantage over two-handers when it comes to backhand volleys, which is the shot players usually struggle the most with, that is why Mauresmo and Henin felt more at ease at the net. Hingis was an exceptional case, as not only she had the proper technique, quick-eye and reflexes, but she also had outstanding court sense and positioning, that is why she was such a good doubles player... Venus does not have a good technique, but her reach makes her fearsome at the net, and naturally she deals much better with high volleys than low balls... Srebotnik was another one who I thought had great hands and touch...

doooma6816
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Martina then Justine then Amelie

danieln1
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Mauresmo and Hingis tied, but I voted for Mauresmo

The Williams sisters are so underrated volleyers, they always seem to rush to the net to finish the point, and most of the time their volles are effective

And what the fuck is Fiona and Sharapova doing in that list???? :facepalm: They only go to the net to do a swinging volley :help:

swissmr
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:54 PM
How is Henin so low :confused:

I would say it's a toss up between her and Mauresmo.

améliemomo
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Amélie:angel:

Nicolás89
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Eh, Where's Petrova?

I think Venus is overrated as a volleyer probably because of her insane reach but lets face it most of the time she just puts the racket out there.

Ryan
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hingis is a bit before a lot of our times.

First one I think of is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwFCCFf1c8 Her match vs Sam at the AO in 2006. I'll look for a better one though. :cool:

Ryan
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Hingis is a bit before a lot of our times.

These highlights are just awesome, but some great volleying - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQZVarIWNYE&feature=related Check out 4:40, and the last 3 minutes of the video.

Doubles, but great volleying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svtuTxJjd_E&feature=related

Hingis v Momo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDgreUqAIIQ&feature=related Peak Mauresmo scraped by old Legend in 3 sets a few times in 2006.

Hingis v Seles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgGwlYkuNk&feature=related Some GOAT volleying.

timafi
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:46 PM
These highlights are just awesome, but some great volleying - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQZVarIWNYE&feature=related Check out 4:40, and the last 3 minutes of the video.

Doubles, but great volleying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svtuTxJjd_E&feature=related

Hingis v Momo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDgreUqAIIQ&feature=related Peak Mauresmo scraped by old Legend in 3 sets a few times in 2006.

Hingis v Seles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgGwlYkuNk&feature=related Some GOAT volleying.

peak Mauresmo had been off the tour for weeks due to a right shoulder injury but nice try though.Anyway she beat the doper before she got busted:tape:

TheHangover
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Mauresmo
Henin
Hingis
Schiavone

(i'm talking about classic volleys not volleys a la sharapova like forehand smashes (don't know if they have a name))

Uranium
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Eh, Where's Petrova?

I think Venus is overrated as a volleyer probably because of her insane reach but lets face it most of the time she just puts the racket out there.

Don't make me whip out the videos to shut you up.

Raymond's backhand volley trumps all. Reflexes to Cara Black. Overall volleys would go to Hingis.

TheHangover
Dec 27th, 2011, 06:00 PM
^^ oh yes drive volley.

dynamoRockstarr
Dec 27th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Raymond's backhand volley trumps all. Reflexes to Cara Black. Overall volleys would go to Hingis.

Do it...Do it!!!

From the list: Venus, Mauresmo, Henin, Hingis, Davenport (in no particular order)

Nicolás89
Dec 27th, 2011, 06:55 PM

Save it, I've watched enough videos of Venus volleying to know what I'm talking about.

Matt01
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Sharapova, Clijsters, Capriati :facepalm:

Capriati had a good forehand volley. :yeah:

Kim's volleys are average and no worse than most of the other volley suckers players of today. :shrug:

Of course Sharapova's volleys are a disaster in all aspects...

doomsday
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Capriati had a good forehand volley. :yeah:

Kim's volleys are average and no worse than most of the other volley suckers players of today. :shrug:

Of course Sharapova's volleys are a disaster in all aspects...

Not a disaster at all but she is very capable of doing shit sometimes that is true.

Ryan
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:23 PM
peak Mauresmo had been off the tour for weeks due to a right shoulder injury but nice try though.Anyway she beat the doper before she got busted:tape:

Please, you have to know I meant 2006 Mauresmo. And even if she was injured beforehand, 2006 was CLEARLY her peak year, and yet a rusty "doper" pushed her to the limit when they played. Not that they were ever in the same league - would hate to give you that impression. :tape:

SoClose
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Vee :)

Uranium
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Save it, I've watched enough videos of Venus volleying to know what I'm talking about.

Any player can hit volleys by sticking their racket out, but not all of them have the success that Venus does at net. Venus has the control to make great volleys off difficult positions. Her control is what makes her a good volleyer. Not just "most of the time Venus just sticks her racket out there". Then she must be hella lucky to make so many good volleys to end points and not send them flying or into the net since all there is to it for her to do is stick her racket out. Those other bitches on tour are so unfortunate not to have that luck.

EDP_2YUsX2Q

SwingVolley93
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Any player can hit volleys by sticking their racket out, but not all of them have the success that Venus does at net. Venus has the control to make great volleys off difficult positions. Her control is what makes her a good volleyer. Not just "most of the time Venus just sticks her racket out there". Then she must be hella lucky to make so many good volleys to end points and not send them flying or into the net since all there is to it for her to do is stick her racket out. Those other bitches on tour are so unfortunate not to have that luck.

EDP_2YUsX2Q

This is all so not true, just letting you know :wavey:

Venus' incredibly horrendous volley technique is hidden by her hard approach shots and her extended reach. :secret:

JCTennisFan
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:53 PM
This is all so not true, just letting you know :wavey:

Venus' incredibly horrendous volley technique is hidden by her hard approach shots and her extended reach. :secret:

Reach>Talent when it comes to volleys. With that being said, to be a good volleyer you have to atleast have some combination of both reach and talent. Venus may not be as technically "correct" in her volleys as say Hingis or Mauresmo (she is by no means awful)... but her Reach has more than made up for it.

Regardless of how high or low quality Venus' volleys are, her netgame is the best at Shutting down her opponent quickly. She also covers the net even better because of her exceptional movement, the one thing that Davenport lacked quite badly (otherwise Lindsay has the best combination of talent/reach out of all the players mentioned thus far).

And last, but not least, is the fact that Lindsay and Venus both had good serves and were TALL, thereby being able to better reach Lobs being used to go behind them. Henin/Hingis had a substantially harder time reaching lobs while up at net, and their overhead smashes were not as good.

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
What Venus and Serena lack in "technique" they more than make up for in reach/anticipation/athleticism, and that's why I think they are good volleyers, but some people don't want to give them credit for that.

Wimbledon9
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:45 PM
If you put all these retired players on this list like Mauresmo, Capriati,Hingis and Davenport then why not Martina Navratilova who retired from doubles in 2006.
All these players grow pale compared to her volley.

Matt01
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:57 PM
What Venus and Serena lack in "technique" they more than make up for in reach/anticipation/athleticism, and that's why I think they are good volleyers, but some people don't want to give them credit for that.

Reach and athleticism yes, anticipation no.

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Reach>Talent when it comes to volleys. With that being said, to be a good volleyer you have to atleast have some combination of both reach and talent. Venus may not be as technically "correct" in her volleys as say Hingis or Mauresmo (she is by no means awful)... but her Reach has more than made up for it.

Regardless of how high or low quality Venus' volleys are, her netgame is the best at Shutting down her opponent quickly. She also covers the net even better because of her exceptional movement, the one thing that Davenport lacked quite badly (otherwise Lindsay has the best combination of talent/reach out of all the players mentioned thus far).

And last, but not least, is the fact that Lindsay and Venus both had good serves and were TALL, thereby being able to better reach Lobs being used to go behind them. Henin/Hingis had a substantially harder time reaching lobs while up at net, and their overhead smashes were not as good.

Reach is an advantage, it's an asset to you're Volleying, It can benefit your net game, but doesn't make your volley's better. it complements it, it strengthens it..you know? having good net coverage and reach in conjucntion with good volley technique allows that extra reach to be used more effectivley at net.

Sticking your long arm 6 feet out (I'm exaggerating here) alone and making contact with the ball won't make it a good volley at all if you can't control the volley with good technique. Having reach at the net closes of the pathways a player can hit it to, it's ideal for defence, as Venus has shown countless times.

Countless times on the court tall girls with great reach are up at the net with horrible footwork, unorthodox technique and are lunging and flailing at the net dropping the balls back in the court barely able to control the volley, a testament to their defence, but quite often if they can't execute it properly, the point is usually lost because their volleying skills aren't good enough.

having great reach at the net isn't indicative of how well you volley, It certainly complements your net game if you have good technique to start with and not sit at the net like some flailing octopus.

I do agree with your testament of Venus shutting down opponents at the net, hence why her reach and athleticism have been beneficial at the nets.

Mana
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Recent years?

I always thought Elena Likhovtseva was world class at the net.

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:34 AM

At the Net, they are intimidating and they can volley.

They get alot of credit for their net game, because they are effective, but compared to the likes of Mauresmo, Hingis, volleying and net play doesn't seem natural, to me, I find alot of their volleying quite laboured. That's my observation however.

I havn't seen alot of "anticipation" from them at the Net, certainly athleticism and reach, Players know the Williams at the Net are a force, as would teams facing them in Doubles.

They are effective at the net, especially when they are in control of the point, you don't find them at the net casually playing tennis or in a position of woe.

I'd still take Hingis/Mauresmo/Henin's net play however, because the technique and ease of the net games, more fluid, all 3 could volley anywhere in the court with ease, great touch and co-ordination, confident, the control of the ball was sublime. and a pleasure to watch.

ranfurly
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Recent years?

I always thought Elena Likhovtseva was world class at the net.

She was hot at the Net, as was Sugiyama!

Chakvenus
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Of those listed, I'd say Amelie or Martina. But there are plenty of recent doubles specialists who have barely been discussed (if at all) who are better than half the poll.

JCTennisFan
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I cant believe the shade Davenport is getting..... Typically good net players are also good movers, so that they can quickly transition from back of the court to the net to end a shot. Davenport, if she were to have not moved like a bus, would be topping this list in my opinion.

At the end of the day volleys are all about effectiveness and ending the point, not about how pretty the shot looks. Davenports may have not looked as pretty as Mauresmo's or Hingis' but with her footspeed limitations being kept in mind I cant help but think Lindsay did the best with what she had out of the group. Henin, Mauresmo, Hingis, Venus... they all moved exceptional. I wonder how well they'd do at net with Lindsay's movement....

Barktra
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Out of the people who choose I say either Venus or Hingis

Rennae Stubbs I thought had some great volleys. Eventhough they lost Rennae was on full display here :worship:

cLLjV6baQhg

OsloErik
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Mauresmo, and it's not even close.

Next down the list are Hingis, Davenport, Venus, in no particular order. Then Henin. Then Serena. Then Capriati. Then Clijsters.

Then a LOT of players.

Then Sharapova.

Capriati has very under-rated volleys. Clijsters has a mixed track record at the net. She's got good hands, but she's an example of a player who is better at net in doubles than in singles, much like Stosur, or Kuznetsova.

mac47
Dec 28th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I think there's a big difference between being a good volleyer in doubles and being a good volleyer in singles. In singles, you must have a good approach volley. You also need to have good stretching volleys, drop- and stop-volleys, half-volleys, and touch. In doubles, 90% of the time, all you have to do is place the volley or smack it hard. Having a good transition game is useful still, but you can have the appearance of a good net game in doubles without actually having great hands or touch.

rimon
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Mauresmo, and it's not even close.

Next down the list are Hingis, Davenport, Venus, in no particular order. Then Henin. Then Serena. Then Capriati. Then Clijsters.

Then a LOT of players.

Then Sharapova.

Capriati has very under-rated volleys. Clijsters has a mixed track record at the net. She's got good hands, but she's an example of a player who is better at net in doubles than in singles, much like Stosur, or Kuznetsova.

How is Mauresmo far above Martina? :confused:

Anyway, like the vast majority, I believe that these two are the best. Outstanding touch and deft, and knew how to punch away volleys as well. Have any of the others ever won championship point in a gs final like this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok3L5r5YxLM

:worship:

L'Enfant Sauvage
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Momo and "Legend" are neck and neck, but Id give Amelie the very slight edge. Martina beats Justine by a little bit ore, but still not alot. That's bracket 1. Bracket 2, Venus > Davenport due to better reach, ability to approach the net and overall success rate, while Lindsay does in fact have great hands at the net. Bracket 3 has Serena and Jennifer about even, maybe slight edge to Serena. Both are "good" not great and are best suited to their baseline games, though they can certainly finish points at the net. I think I've seen Serena pull of more importantt/clutch volleys, but I've also seen her botch fairly easy ones, so I cant place her in Group 2 under Davenport. I'd put Kim in the same group, but under Serena because she too is better suited at the baseline, but when she does come up to the net to end a point she usually handles herself well enough. Maria sadly doesn't really belong in this list, but fortunately she has much bigger strengths going for her. Final list looks like this:

[Amelie > Martina > Justine]
[Venus >> Lindsay]
[Serena > Jennifer >> Clijsters]

rimon
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Momo and "Legend" are neck and neck, but Id give Amelie the very slight edge. Martina beats Justine by a little bit ore, but still not alot. That's bracket 1. Bracket 2, Venus > Davenport due to better reach, ability to approach the net and overall success rate, while Lindsay does in fact have great hands at the net. Bracket 3 has Serena and Jennifer about even, maybe slight edge to Serena. Both are "good" not great and are best suited to their baseline games, though they can certainly finish points at the net. I think I've seen Serena pull of more importantt/clutch volleys, but I've also seen her botch fairly easy ones, so I cant place her in Group 2 under Davenport. I'd put Kim in the same group, but under Serena because she too is better suited at the baseline, but when she does come up to the net to end a point she usually handles herself well enough. Maria sadly doesn't really belong in this list, but fortunately she has much bigger strengths going for her. Final list looks like this:

[Amelie > Martina > Justine]
[Venus >> Lindsay]
[Serena > Jennifer >> Clijsters]

I pretty much agree, except I call it dead even between Amelie and Martina. What makes you give Amelie the edge as slight as it may be?

tracytracy22
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I voted for hingis. She was the best overall. She had excellent court sense and anticipation, and superb technique and reflexes. She would also position herself correctly. For regular volleys I think hingis and mauresmo, but hingis definitely had the best touch volleys. She did it better than anybody. I'd also like to add that in her australian open QF match in 2006, this commentator said that she was the best vollyer in the womens game. She also had a good smash (except that 2000 us open SF one) - her slice smash was exquisite and was able to create very sharp angles.

One person that I do want to mention is hsieh su wei. I dont think many players have heard of her but she has excellent volleys, and like hingis, has excellent anticipation. She was representing chinese taipei at the hopman cup a few years ago and I watched their doubles match against russia. Safin kept hammering the ball at hsieh but she would just deflect it back - it didnt even phase her. Very amazing. She was also able to ace safina with a 50km serve lol! Oh btw watch the 99 RG doubles final highlights (hingis/kournikova vs serena/venus). There was this one point where serena and venus were smashing the ball at hingis but she was able to win the point. They were serving for the match I think and unfortunately, it was kournikova who was serving. Oh well.

Steven.
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Hingis is the best volleyer (in both tactic and technique) in recent years, followed by Momo/Vinas. Hingis tends to go for volleys to win points, and is obviously very successful and part of the reason why she is a 5 time grand slam champion. Unlike the more modern players who just power their way into the net, Hingis actually possessed a net approach shot and used it pretty extensively to allow her to get to the net where she finishes off the points with such a wide range of different volleys, and pulls them off very comfortably too.

As for Venus being so high up, reach is part of you volleying and so why should it be discredited/disincluded. She produces some of the most stunning volleys of recent times. She isn't also an 11 time doubles slam champion for nothing either.

laurie
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I would go with Amelie Mauresmo. Not only did she have all types of volleys including stop volleys, she had the athleticism to go with her volleying ability and great court positioning. That allowed her to do so well at Wimbledon and eventually win it, a great triumph in an era of exclusively baseline tennis and I'm sure that will be appreciated more and more as time goes on.

Just below Mauresmo I think Henin, Hingis, Davenport and Venus have really good volleys.

J4m3ka
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM
mT-RsorHXPA

laurie
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:58 PM
mT-RsorHXPA

I uploaded that earlier this year, one of my favourite clips I uploaded to youtube. Some people want to say it's a fluke, which I think is nonsense.

SwingVolley93
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Uranium are you still in gradeschool? Lying about your ago on TF? Who bad reps someone for disagreeing with their post...get a life. :wavey:

serenafan08
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Mauresmo by far and away. Her net game was beautiful. That one-handed backhand and those volleys were just poetry in motion! I'd say Justine and Martina are next, followed by Venus and Lindsay. Serena has flashes of great net play ('04 against Mauresmo, '08 against Jankovic, '11 against Woz), but she's not as consistent as those mentioned above. Venus doesn't attack the net enough for my taste. She's tall, got a huge wingspan and pretty good technique. We've all seen how well she plays at Wimbledon when she's aggressive and moves forward more often than not. But to answer the question it's Amelie.

MB.
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Sharapova? :spit::lol:

vozas
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Mauresmo and Legend, easily. Henin is a distant third and the rest are simply baseliners who can change their grip at the net.

laurie
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Mauresmo and Legend, easily. Henin is a distant third and the rest are simply baseliners who can change their grip at the net.

That was the beauty of Mauresmo's volleying ability. You talk about grips, Mauresmo had the most extreme western grip on the forehand, and was still an incredible volleyer, I don't think I've seen a player with such an extreme grip be such a great volleyer.

Has anyone else heard Sam Smith desrcibe a player as having such an extreme western grip that its almost eastern, for the experts at grips out there, is that plausible?

Smitten
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:28 AM
We've settled this discussion.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Dec 29th, 2011, 11:47 AM
From provided list -

Mauresmo > Hingis > Venus > Davenport > Henin > Serena > Clijsters > Capriati > Others > Sharapova

Ellen Dawson
Dec 29th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Momo :worship. Duh. :angel:

madmax
Dec 29th, 2011, 11:53 AM
From provided list -

Mauresmo > Hingis > Venus > Davenport > Henin > Serena > Clijsters > Capriati > Others > Sharapova

I've seen Sharapova pulling off spectacular half-volleys during the clay season. She also has pretty good and accurate hands at the net and almost never misses a drop shot. Like many other things of her game, lack of finesse is way overblown on this board...

tennismaster8820
Dec 29th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Mauresmo and Hingis, voted for Amelie!

Start da Game
Dec 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM
That was the beauty of Mauresmo's volleying ability. You talk about grips, Mauresmo had the most extreme western grip on the forehand, and was still an incredible volleyer, I don't think I've seen a player with such an extreme grip be such a great volleyer.

Has anyone else heard Sam Smith desrcibe a player as having such an extreme western grip that its almost eastern, for the experts at grips out there, is that plausible?

yes, mauresmo's grip is so extreme that it is almost eastern......some french players are very unique......backhand > forehand(gasquet, santoro), winning french open with serve and volley(yannick noah), "pushing" oneself into almost the top 5 in the brutal men's game of today(simon).....such things only seem to happen with the french players......

berasategui on the men's side is the only one i recall having such an extreme western grip, even more than mauresmo......

Sombrerero loco
Dec 29th, 2011, 03:06 PM
hingis was a way better volleyer than mauresmo...

Matt01
Dec 29th, 2011, 03:27 PM
From provided list -

This is wrong but for TF's standard in GM I guess it's an acceptable result :lol:

Critique
Dec 29th, 2011, 04:51 PM
From the list it's Mauresmo > Hingis > Henin = Venus.

Lindsay had good hands at net but rarely hit spectacular volleys. Serena has questionable approaches yet is capable of hitting medium to difficult volleys despite how spontaneous her technique is. Clijsters and Sharapova only come to net to shake hands, and it's no surprise why. Both lack any sort of touch or finesse in the forecourt :o

Sombrerero loco
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM
KdfHQSYMqqM
some epic volleys from martina there :)

Bourbon
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Currently Schiavone, who rarely misses a volley.
Vinci and Martinez Sanchez are really good too.

pierce85
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:03 PM
From list Martina=Amelie> Henin>> Venus>Davenport>Clijsters>Sharapova=Serena.

propi
Dec 29th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Maria Jose Martinez, of course, her touch is simply :hearts:

Linguae^
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I would say it's Martina, but it's a toss up.

OsloErik
Dec 31st, 2011, 01:55 AM
How is Mauresmo far above Martina? :confused:

Anyway, like the vast majority, I believe that these two are the best.

Better reach, more explosive mover at the net, better defender at the net.

Martina is better in the mid-court (taking the ball on the rise, and not just the half-volley situation).

mauresmofan
Dec 31st, 2011, 03:02 AM
Reach and athleticism yes, anticipation no.

Tell that to Elena Dementieva when she had match point against Serena in the semis at Wimbledon a few years back. That was anticipation at the maximum.

Aryman3
Dec 31st, 2011, 03:26 AM
Stosurova

JCTennisFan
Dec 31st, 2011, 08:48 PM
berasategui on the men's side is the only one i recall having such an extreme western grip, even more than mauresmo......

That man had the wildest grip I think ive ever seen a top player use. He was absolutely great on clay, where he had time to setup his forehand. On hardcourt, though, he could produce some of the weirdest shanks ive ever seen. Anyone who can get into the top 10 with his grip is pretty dammed impressive in my book. The French seem to like to encourage uniqueness... which is something I wish the American coaches would encourage more. One of the biggest reasons why Santoro was so good was because his game was so different from everyone elses that most guys had very little experience in dealing with his gamestyle.

Kairi
Dec 31st, 2011, 08:54 PM
from the poll options, i'd go with MoMo ....:hysteric: @ Maria having more votes than Serena..c'mon now :lol:

claypova
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:24 PM
Maria in 5th place :hearts: you go gurl :rocker2:

goat
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:38 PM
Mauresmo
Zvonareva
Kvitova
Radwankska

Not in that order but I am afan of all these ladies volleys.

Sammo
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:41 PM
from the poll options, i'd go with MoMo ....:hysteric: @ Maria having more votes than someone..c'mon now :lol:

Fixed

Ellen Dawson
Jan 2nd, 2012, 07:14 PM
Momo love. :hearts:

hablo
Jan 2nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Momo. :D

manu32
Jan 2nd, 2012, 07:20 PM
is it an actual thread or a "blast from the past"?
explain,plz,but seriously,in no way Sharapova or Clijsters,whatever..

Helen Lawson
Jan 2nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
I selected Capriati and I think everyone knows why.

Sund7101
Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Martina for sure. She had such great technique, positioning, and anticipation. I wish she would have tried to be more aggressive in her comeback and played the net more. She was such a joy to watch in doubles.

Spring Pools
Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:28 PM
Of today -Kiri

mistymore
Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
10 votes for Sharapova!?!?! WTF, she isnt even a good volleyer. I have barely been on this forum and can already tell she must be most overrated player.

mistymore
Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:05 PM
The correct order is almost exactly like the list:

1. Mauresmo
2. Hingis
3. Henin
4. Venus

In terms of just volleys. Overall effectiveness at net Venus might be #1 due to her reach and overheads.

borrowedheaven
Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:07 PM
The correct order is almost exactly like the list:

1. Mauresmo
2. Hingis
3. Henin
4. Venus

In terms of just volleys. Overall effectiveness at net Venus might be #1 due to her reach and overheads.

No. Venus can screw up the most easy volleys.

Ellen Dawson
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:23 PM
No. Venus can screw up the most easy volleys.

I love Vee but this is so true. :o

justineheninfan
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I think Mauresmo, Henin, Hingis, and maybe Venus are all quite close. I dont think one is much better than the others. Hingis has very good technique but her volleys lack stick sometimes. Henins only drawback is her lack of reach. Venus is best with the swinging volleys, she can make some excellent conventional volleys and has tremendous reach and athleticsm at net, but messes up some of the makeable ones too.

Those 4 are a cut above all others on the poll. Davenport and Serena I would put at the next level after those 4.

What on earth are Clijsters or Sharapova doing on the poll. Is the OP smoking crack. There are dozens of more appropriate options.

$uricate
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Sharapova.

She is definately my favourite on the list.

Craig.
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:36 PM
10 votes for Sharapova!?!?! WTF, she isnt even a good volleyer. I have barely been on this forum and can already tell she must be most overrated player.

10 votes is nothing, sweetie.

hablo
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:37 PM
10 votes is nothing, sweetie.

No actually. That is 10 votes too many. :p

Craig.
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:39 PM
No actually. That is 10 votes too many. :p

Masha's fanbase is the biggest on TF, what can I say :lol:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Masha's fanbase is the biggest most delusional in TF, what can I say :lol:

:lol:

Novichok
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Kvitova.

Matt01
Jan 5th, 2012, 12:46 AM

She has even more votes than Davenport. :spit:

Sammo
Jan 5th, 2012, 12:51 AM
She has even more votes than Davenport. :spit:

:sobbing:

OsloErik
Jan 5th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I agree with several posters, people have really forgotten how good Davenport was at the net. Great hands.

Difference largely is that despite her monster-sized reach, she wasn't very explosive at net. Mauresmo and Venus were/are walls at the net. They can play defense at net better than anyone. Hingis was nearly there, and Henin wasn't far behind. Davenport didn't have the same effect. She has Hingis-caliber feel up there, but she simply wasn't as good at getting to the passing shots, which has to be a component to volleying; her pick-up volleys were top-notch when she hit them, but a lot of times she just couldn't get there.

There's a definite gap, in my mind, between the Davenport level (which is MAYBE a hair behind Hingis/Venus) and the Henin level. Possibly a bigger gap than that between Henin and Serena, to be honest.

bandabou
Jan 5th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Davenport's netplay was as with everything of her game: a matter of getting to the ball. Brilliant technique, but if you can't get to the ball...

ranfurly
Jan 5th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I agree with several posters, people have really forgotten how good Davenport was at the net. Great hands.

Difference largely is that despite her monster-sized reach, she wasn't very explosive at net. Mauresmo and Venus were/are walls at the net. They can play defense at net better than anyone. Hingis was nearly there, and Henin wasn't far behind. Davenport didn't have the same effect. She has Hingis-caliber feel up there, but she simply wasn't as good at getting to the passing shots, which has to be a component to volleying; her pick-up volleys were top-notch when she hit them, but a lot of times she just couldn't get there.

There's a definite gap, in my mind, between the Davenport level (which is MAYBE a hair behind Hingis/Venus) and the Henin level. Possibly a bigger gap than that between Henin and Serena, to be honest.

Spot on!

Matt01
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:33 PM

I *maybe* can see why some people would chose Venus' volleys over Davenport's volleys (or rather: their net game overall) but please don't me that the bolded part means that you think that Hingis and Venus as volleyers are anyhwere near the same level :sobbing: