PDA

View Full Version : Top 30: Which is their better wing?

Potato
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Saw this on MTF so I thought'd be fun to see the WTA breakdown. Which side do you think is their better wing?

1. Caroline Wozniacki - Backhand
2. Petra Kvitova - Forehand
3. Victoria Azarenka - Backhand
4. Maria Sharapova - Backhand
5. Li Na - Backhand
6. Samantha Stosur - Forehand
7. Vera Zvonareva - Backhand
8. Agnieszka Radwanska - Backhand
9. Marion Bartoli - Forehand (both wings are identical but she can hit the flick one-hander off this side)
10. Andrea Petkovic - Forehand
11. Francesca Schiavone - Forehand
12. Serena Williams - Backhand
13. Kim Clijsters - Forehand
14. Jelena Jankovic - Backhand
15. Sabine Lisicki - Backhand Forehand
16. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova - Backhand
17. Peng Shuai - Backhand
18. Dominika Cibulkova - Forehand
19. Svetlana Kuznetsova - Forehand
20. Flavia Pennetta - Backhand
21. Julia Goerges - Forehand
22. Ana Ivanovic - Forehand
23. Roberta Vinci - Forehand
24. Daniela Hantuchova - Backhand
25. Lucie Safarova - Forehand
26. Yanina Wickmayer - Forehand
27. Anabel Medina Garrigues - Backhand
28. Maria Kirilenko - Backhand
29. Nadia Petrova - Backhand
30. Monica Niculescu - Forehand Backhand

I think if you did this for the men almost all of them would have their forehand as their better wing.

Craig.
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Lisicki's backhand is better than her forehand? :unsure:

Mynarco
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I think Serena's FH more fearful than her BH

Craig.
I think Serena's FH more fearful than her BH

It's also far more likely to break down.

Dominic
Lisicki's forehand is better than her backhand,

Sharapova and Pennetta don't clearly have a better bakchand than forehand. When near her beast, I would say Maria's forehand is better than her backhand, much more agressive, more power many more winners. Same for Serena and Li Na

kiriosh.
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:39 AM
In my opinion Aga has better forehand. She play fh more aggressively.

Yoncé
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:39 AM
At her best Serena's forehand is better, more powerful, more explosive but the backhand is more consistent.

Sabine's FH > Sabine's BH

Craig.
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:40 AM
At her best Serena's forehand is better, more powerful, more explosive but the backhand is more consistent.

Sabine's FH > Sabine's BH

Yup.

Potato
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:45 AM
I'll accept I'm wrong with Sabine. I'll admit I haven't seen too much of her play this year.

For players like Maria and Serena who's forehands are terrors when on, I still put their backhand as they're more solid and less prone to break down, but are still scary shots. I mean, in general, off the forehand you can get more power simply because it's off one hand.

duhcity
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I can see the argument for either side for Serena, but yeah Lisicki is FH for sure.

I'd even go with Na's FH. Breaks down more of course, but her CCFH at times is really amazing

Steadyniacki
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Saw this on MTF so I thought'd be fun to see the WTA breakdown. Which side do you think is their better wing?

5. Li Na - Backhand
9. Marion Bartoli - Forehand (both wings are identical but she can hit the flick one-hander off this side)
15. Sabine Lisicki - Backhand
17. Peng Shuai - Backhand (hits more winners off this while just as consistent as her FH)
30. Monica Niculescu - Forehand? (i have no clue, i think she can hit some nice junkballs off this wing)

I think if you did this for the men almost all of them would have their forehand as their better wing.

Niculescu's best side is definitely her backhand, which is actually a nice shot. I'd also venture to put Marion's backhand infront of forehand, but it's like splitting hairs she virtually doesn't have a better wing.

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:16 AM
off the forehand you can get more power simply because it's off one hand.

That doesn't make it any less valid, it's a part of the reason why most tennis players have a better forehand than backhand.

The Dawntreader
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:18 AM

2. Petra Kvitova - Forehand. The backhand is a more compact stroke, and has the ability to break open a rally immediately, but the forehand has an ounce of topspin that gives it greater reliability.

5. Li Na - Backhand.

9. Marion Bartoli - Backhand. Can be deceptively good on the run with this stroke too, using a lot of left wrist

12. Serena Williams - Backhand. The technique is ever-stable, and she doesn't over-rotate on the ball like she can do on the FH.

13. Kim Clijsters - See Serena.

15. Sabine Lisicki - Forehand. Limited on both wings timing wise though, when she's forced to go toe to toe in high-pace rallies, but the mid-court forehand is a stunner.

16. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova - Backhand. Her racquet prep is suspect on her forehand, and her timing can suffer.

17. Peng Shuai - Backhand.

23. Roberta Vinci - Forehand. Backhand is too limited due to her inability to aggressively hitting over it.

24. Daniela Hantuchova - Backhand. The Forehand is perhaps more potent, but the backhand has such fluency and is able to redirect and maneuver the ball better.

28. Maria Kirilenko - Backhand. Lovely stroke production, shame about the complete lack of racquet-head speed.

29. Nadia Petrova - Backhand. Forehand has beefed up considerably, but her inconsistent, ungainly footwork relegates it behind the backhand which is such a compact, clean stroke with lovely body-weight transfer.

30. Monica Niculescu - Backhand. It's the only groundstroke she can actually hit through.

starin
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Players target Serena's bh wing more often than they do her fh. :shrug:

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:28 AM
12. Serena Williams - Backhand. The technique is ever-stable, and she doesn't over-rotate on the ball like she can do on the FH.

13. Kim Clijsters - See Serena.

Ok I can see an argument about Serena's backhand being perhaps slightly better than her forehand (although I do not agree). But Clijsters just no, Her forehand is clearly better, more versatile more agressive. And it's clearly the shot she favors.

The Dawntreader
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Ok I can see an argument about Serena's backhand being perhaps slightly better than her forehand (although I do not agree). But Clijsters just no, Her forehand is clearly better, more versatile more agressive. And it's clearly the shot she favors.

Her forehand technique is brittle. Mega-over rotation, which causes her follow-through to almost hit her in the face. Plus it's nearly always the shot that breaks down first, and badly too.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Clijsters' forehand is absolutely dire when it breaks down - and that happens pretty often. She's a backhand player, like 90% of WTA tour.

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Ppl have got to stop confusing consistency with greatness. If Clijsters had an ordinary forehand to go with her consistent backhand she would have never won a slam. Her forehand is more powerful more accurate, more versatile, more agressive, it's just better in every way. Yes it breaks down sometimes but it's nonsensical to call her bh better because of that. And Clijsters seems to know it herself as she runs around her bh quite a bit to hit her forehand

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:59 AM
She's a backhand player, like 90% of WTA tour.

Well according to ppl who answered here it's closer to 50-50 for the top 30 and it would go even more toward the forehand going down the rankings.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Well according to ppl who answered here it's closer to 50-50 for the top 30 and it would go even more toward the forehand going down the rankings.

Because most people here are merely fangirls/boys of a particular player and have no idea about tennis technique. Plenty of clowns on this forum apparently think Serena's FH is better than her BH :happy:

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Because most people here are merely fangirls/boys of a particular player and have no idea about tennis technique. Plenty of clowns on this forum apparently think Serena's FH is better than her BH :happy:

You also seem to be confusing great technique with effectiveness. I'm assuming the OP means "better" as in more effective. And yes in that sense Serena's forehand and backhand are close. she hits way more winners off the forehand, the fh return is also better.

sammy01
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:13 AM
bartoli's bingo wings trump all shots :worship:

Potato
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:59 AM
You also seem to be confusing great technique with effectiveness. I'm assuming the OP means "better" as in more effective. And yes in that sense Serena's forehand and backhand are close. she hits way more winners off the forehand, the fh return is also better.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but I feel like Serena has kill shots off BOTH wings. When she's confident though the forehand is the wow but it's just so prone to breaking down when she's not.

With Kim though, if she just relied on the backhand she cannot win matches against consistent players (see Wimbly QF against Vera) because the backhand isn't a kill shot like her forehand, just a consistent counterpunching shot.

Renalicious
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:05 AM
1. Caroline Wozniacki - B (No comparison.)

2. Petra Kvitova - F (Backhand is more deadly, forehand is more reliable and stable.)

3. Victoria Azarenka - B (Quite a large margin.)

4. Maria Sharapova - B (Forehand is in love with spraying errors.)

5. Li Na - F (Forehand is more erratic but is the deadlier shot and hits more winners.)

6. Samantha Stosur - F (No comparison.)

7. Vera Zvonareva - B (Forehand can get loopy and weird, backhand is much more consistent.)

8. Agnieszka Radwanska - B (Forehand is definitely more agressive and tries to hit winners, but the backhand is very stable and she can hit the slice or drop shot with it.)

9. Marion Bartoli - B (Backhand, definitely. She seems to generate way more power from this wing and just seems more comfortable with it.)

10. Andrea Petkovic - F (Both strokes are quite similar in terms of effectiveness, I'll go for the forehand, it hits more winners.)

11. Francesca Schiavone - F (Backhand is not the best, forehand can hit amazing angles.)

12. Serena Williams - B (Is very stable despite being able to hit winners with ease. Can hit DTL, CC, Inside out, the lob etc. Very early preparation, much earlier than her FH.)

13. Kim Clijsters - F (Forehand makes way more errors than the backhand but is still the better shot, can be amazing when it's on.)

14. Jelena Jankovic - B (No comparison. Jelena's backhand is my favorite on the WTA.)

15. Sabine Lisicki - F (Both strokes are very powerful but the forehand is a hammer when she's on.)

16. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova - B (Forehand lacks racquet acceleration, backhand is a solid shot.)

17. Peng Shuai - B (Both shots are similar, backhand seems to get more penetration around the court and can switch directions better.)

18. Dominika Cibulkova - F (Her backhand is kind of static, forehand is decent.)

19. Svetlana Kuznetsova - F (Is stunning when its on, can hit the wildest of winners but the wildest of errors too.)

20. Flavia Pennetta - B (A good shot, her forehand is quite good too but her BH is more flexible.)

21. Julia Goerges - F

22. Ana Ivanovic - F

23. Roberta Vinci - B

24. Daniela Hantuchova - B

25. Lucie Safarova - F

26. Yanina Wickmayer - F

27. Anabel Medina Garrigues - B

28. Maria Kirilenko - B

29. Nadia Petrova - F

30. Monica Niculescu - B

Potato
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:07 AM
21. Julia Goerges - F

22. Ana Ivanovic - F

23. Roberta Vinci - B

24. Daniela Hantuchova - B

25. Lucie Safarova - F

26. Yanina Wickmayer - F

27. Anabel Medina Garrigues - B

28. Maria Kirilenko - B

29. Nadia Petrova - F

30. Monica Niculescu - B

You sure about that? :P

Holdsworth
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Only Queen Petra has equally impressive BH and FH :worship:

faboozadoo15
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Petrova's backhand is much better than her forehand if you ask me.

A lot of the TOP women have 2 great groundstrokes, so it makes evaluating players like Serena, Maria, Kim very difficult.

Stonerpova
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Asking what the better wing is can be too broad. With a lot of players they have one wing that is more powerful when it's on but also more prone to breaking down, i.e. Serena, Sharapova, Clijsters, etc.

And I think Wickmayer's backhand is her "better" wing.

Mikey.
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Asking what the better wing is can be too broad. With a lot of players they have one wing that is more powerful when it's on but also more prone to breaking down, i.e. Serena, Sharapova, Clijsters, etc.

And I think Wickmayer's backhand is her "better" wing.

I was going to mention this. For me it's definitely the less fugly stroke of the two.

jasonbloom
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I think Petrova Forehand is more effective if it is on just like 2006

doomsday
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Petrova's backhand is much better than her forehand if you ask me.

A lot of the TOP women have 2 great groundstrokes, so it makes evaluating players like Serena, Maria, Kim very difficult.

Agree with this.

MarkNL
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Serena's Forehand is better then her Backhand imo :shrug:

And Lisicki's Forehand as well, but that has been changed already :)

InsideOut.
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:46 AM
5. Li Na - Backhand
8. Agnieszka Radwanska - Forehand
9. Marion Bartoli - Backhand (think she's more comfortable going DTL this wing)
13. Kim Clijsters - Toss-up, she gets more width on the BH but the FH is the more powerful shot
15. Sabine Lisicki - Forehand
25. Lucie Safarova - Toss-up, both sides are pretty inconsistent but when she's on both sides are amazing
30. Monica Niculescu - Backhand

Holdsworth
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Serena's Forehand is better then her Backhand imo :shrug:

Nooo :tape:

SVK
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:14 AM
23. Roberta Vinci - B

Yeah, I agree with this...It might look a bit strange, but her backhand is definitely not worse than forehand...I don´t know what means weapon for you for example, but I think that it shouldn´t be considered just as a shot from which a player hit a lot of winners. Her forehand side is nothing special, on the other hand her backhand side has much more variety, she can change the rythm a lot with her backhand slice (drop shots, great angles, unpredictable placing) which is actually a weapon, because it makes a lot of trouble to other players who can´t handle with it...also I think she is a bit more reliable volleyer from the backhand side.

Petronius
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Only Queen Petra has equally impressive BH and FH :worship:

:haha: Agreed. It's extremely funny to watch how for every player everyone picks either forehand, or backhand, without just saying "she is equally bad/impressive on both wings", which is a perfectly reasonable option. :smash:

Otlichno
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I don't understand Danka having a better backhand to be honest. It used to be, but these days she rarely does anything with it but roll it crosscourt and hit the occasional down the line winner.
Her forehand is where she does her damage, it's more inconsistent than her backhand, but her backhand isn't that much of a weapon anymore.

Dado90
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:12 PM

I agree with you about almost the whole choise, except for these 4 players...Schiavone and Vinci have both solid FH, but the variety and flexibility of their BH (Schiavone>>Vinci) gives them a plus weapon against the other player...I mean slice, dropshot, Fran also one-hand BH DTL :eek:
Nadia and Pavly, instead, have both letal FH, that allows them to be very aggressive and to obtain lots of winners...even if their BH is solid as well, I think it is less deadly :wavey:
LzQDRFhwZQs MCo6CSO537w

Sabinator.
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:20 PM
5. Li Na - Backhand
8. Agnieszka Radwanska - Forehand (IMO)
9. Marion Bartoli - Backhand (IMO)
12. Serena Williams - Forehand (IMO)
23. Roberta Vinci - Backhand (:oh:)

Break My Rapture
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I would put Kimothy's BH above her FH. Never breaks down and she gets so much width on it with more than decent pace. When her rhythm is interrupted on her FH, she struggles generating pace herself and ends up leaking a lot of errors.

madmax
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Maria's forehand nowadays is more dangerous shot, even if it breaks down much more often too. She was running arround her BH all the time during the clay season this year and was hitting inside-out FH winners at will

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Maria's forehand nowadays is more dangerous shot, even if it breaks down much more often too. She was running arround her BH all the time during the clay season this year and was hitting inside-out FH winners at will

It's always been more dangerous and she has always done that since I can remember.

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:09 PM
4. Maria Sharapova - Equal (FH is more prone to error but also is more agressive and puts her in an offensive position)
5. Li Na - Backhand
12. Serena Williams - Equal (See Maria)
16. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova - Equal
20. Flavia Pennetta - Equal
24. Daniela Hantuchova - Forehand (pretty close though)

madmax
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:13 PM
It's always been more dangerous and she has always done that since I can remember.

I'm not too sure about it...I recently rewatched her 04 Wimby campaign and it seemed to me like her BH was more lethal and precise back then and she hit more winners off that wing too. I guess she developed her FH as years went by and she got gradually stronger with age.

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I'm not too sure about it...I recently rewatched her 04 Wimby campaign and it seemed to me like her BH was more lethal and precise back then and she hit more winners off that wing too.

Really? that would surprise me immensely cause when there has been stats about this, her forehand always hit waay more winners than her backhand (like more than twice as many)

Spring Pools
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:37 PM
5. Li Na - Backhand
9. Marion Bartoli - Forehand
13. Kim Clijsters - Backhand
23. Roberta Vinci - Slice Backhand
30. Monica Niculescu - Backhand (I still can't believe she's top 30...)

Fantasy Hero
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Lisicki's forehand is better than her backhand,

Sharapova and Pennetta don't clearly have a better bakchand than forehand. When near her beast, I would say Maria's forehand is better than her backhand, much more agressive, more power many more winners. Same for Serena and Li Na

:spit:

no way! BH DTL alone hits more winners in a match than her FH in a week

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:53 PM
:spit:

no way! BH DTL alone hits more winners in a match than her FH in a week

Watch any match highlights and count the number of winners off both sides.

Fantasy Hero
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Watch any match highlights and count the number of winners off both sides.

i odn't need to watch any highlight because i've been following her for at least 7 years already and as everyone how knows her game, i am sure that her strongest side is clearly the BH because it's stornger and more accurate and even more it's the most solid wing of hers. Thankfully her FH is greatly improved in the years, but it's a more built and for that reason weak and fragile shot.

Jane Lane
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Flavia's FH would be better if she trusted it more because her technique is so solid. But it's definitely her BH.

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:37 PM
i odn't need to watch any highlight because i've been following her for at least 7 years already and as everyone how knows her game, i am sure that her strongest side is clearly the BH because it's stornger and more accurate and even more it's the most solid wing of hers. Thankfully her FH is greatly improved in the years, but it's a more built and for that reason weak and fragile shot.

Well then you can't say for sure she hits more winners off her backhand than forehand, and I can tell you that it's not the case, it's about equal. For the record, I don't think her forehand is better than her backhand but to say that the bh hits more winners is just not true.

Coconut91
Dec 27th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Well then you can't say for sure she hits more winners off her backhand than forehand, and I can tell you that it's not the case, it's about equal. For the record, I don't think her forehand is better than her backhand but to say that the bh hits more winners is just not true.

Do you hate backhands? :lol: I'm just curious, because it seems you've been on a forehand campaign lately :lol: :)

danieln1
Dec 27th, 2011, 06:47 PM
5. Li Na - Backhand
9. Marion Bartoli - Backhand
30. Monica Niculescu - Forehand Backhand

centipede
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Kvitova is equal off both sides imo. She hits about the same amount of winners and errors off both sides. :shrug:

Ryan
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:50 PM
How did I know this thread would be GoDokic saying most women have better forehands than backhands? :facepalm:

Soliloque
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Kim has a better backhand. How can anyone say forehand ? The question is not 'which is their most spectacular wing', it's 'better'.

Petkorazzi
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Clijsters', Bartoli's, Kvitova's & Pennetta's backhands are clearly the better shots IMO. :shrug:

Craig.
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:20 PM

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

doomsday
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:32 PM

And don't you ever get tired of harassing your fellow fans? :lol: I'm kidding :lol:

Craig.
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:55 PM
And don't you ever get tired of harassing your fellow fans? :lol: I'm kidding :lol:

Hilarious.

:weirdo:

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:36 PM

:o I dare you to pick any of her match highlights and count them...

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:37 PM
their most spectacular wing', it's 'better'.

It's also not "which wing hits slightly less errors?"

doomsday
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Hilarious.

:weirdo:

OK maybe it wasn't that funny.

Dominic
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:46 PM
OK maybe it wasn't that funny.

It was actually :worship:

Holdsworth
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Pennetta don't clearly have a better bakchand than forehand.a
:help:

Dominic
Dec 28th, 2011, 03:43 AM
How did I know this thread would be GoDokic saying most women have better forehands than backhands? :facepalm:

Probably because it's the truth :lol: and I can't let a statement like "Clijsters is a backhand player like about 90% of players on tour" just pass by. That is one of the most inaccurate statements I've ever read on TF.. and that's saying a lot. Yes if you compare the wta to atp, female players's groundtrokes are much closer in terms of effectiveness (as opposied to the much bigger forehand in the atp) but the fh remains the go to shot for the majority of players, the more powerful, the one they take more risks with, the one that hits more winners. About 90% of players will take at least a few steps to hit a forehand instead of a backhand to put away a floating ball.

Otlichno
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:50 AM
But you don't measure a shot's effectiveness on how many winners it can hit.

If you're forehand constantly breaks down, then it is a liability, not a weapon. :shrug: