PDA

View Full Version : What do you actually like in tennis?

SVK
Dec 26th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I donīt know if this thread belongs in GM but I didnīt find better place..so...what things do you like most in tennis? I mean as the game overall...for example I like the scoring system, it is dynamic, not like in football where 22 people are running for the ball and the score still could be 0:0 (I am not bashing football btw :p), it is changing all the time and unless most of other sports, you can actually come back from any score so there is still place for drama... or itīs unpredictability, especially in WTA...you canīt say exactly which player will surely win or go far, and there are usually some surprising runs in the tournaments, and thatīs what makes this sport interesting for me...What do you find interesting in this sport? Itīs because of similar things, or do you like it purely because of certain player(s) or because itīs simply tennis?:p...I would like to know.

Bonfire
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I like the fact that the scoring is not timed. So no matter what the score is, a player could always make a comeback in dramatic fashion.
I like the fact that tennis is one player vs. one player (excluding doubles) which makes it more interesting once you have a favorite to root for. It's all up to them to win the match...no sidelined teammates to pick up the mess.
I like that it's the most lucrative sport for a female to play and gives them more exposure and money in a male dominated sports world.
I like the different surfaces they play on and the fact that it's an extremely athletic sport to play yet not in a way that has players knocking each other's teeth out on a regular basis.
It' such a unique sport...I just love it!
OMG, for some reason, the way you asked the question has gotten me going:lol: I'm ready to write an essay but I will leave it at that;)

swissmr
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I love the one-on-one aspect of it - so much more exciting and dramatic. Think that's why I'm not a huge fan of doubles.

Fighterpova
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:29 PM
The feeling you get when your favorite player wins :bigclap:

That doesn't happen often obviously, but I'm happy either way :angel:

I love the fact that it's 1 on 1, the scoring system, the court, the rules, it's just a perfect sport :hearts:

Sam L
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I like playing it. I've played other racquet sports but it's not the same. I like the layout of the court and the ability to hit with power and angles (and hitting unreturnable winners) which doesn't exist in say Squash or Badminton or Table tennis. I like that it's very physical.

As for watching tennis, I've been questioning whether I still like watching it. There's only like a handful of matches I've seen from beginning to end in the last few years, almost all of them women's grand slams finals. :shrug:

Helen Lawson
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I like good angles, winners, and when mugs get thrashed.

Kairi
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:55 PM
the pushing :drool:

goldenlox
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I agree with a lot of the points already made.
Its fun to play on any level. Even weekend hackers seem to enjoy it.
Its 1 on 1, with different matches having different conditions. Like heat/wind or fast/slow courts.
It also pays the top women in line with other successful male athletes.

Because a lot of us play, we can identify with and understand a lot of the situations we see on tv.

bobito
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Four aspects of the game make it, for me, the best individual sport there is:

1. The game demands speed, agility, stamina, strength, technique, mental strength and tactical nous in abundance. Few, if any, other games demand so much of the player at the top level.

2. Though the rules are essentially very simple, the styles and tactics can vary greatly. That makes the game easy to understand and appreciate, even for those who have never played. Watching Borg v McEnroe or Serena v Henin, you don't need to be an expert on the game to see the differences in the styles of play.

3. The scoring system, by being divided into games and sets, always allows for players to stage a remarkable comeback.

4. Watching many of the great players is a thrill in itself, regardless of the status of the match. When watching Federer you are seeing a human move and perform with breathtaking agility and skill that no other sportsman can match.

mac47
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I like aces, winning dropshots, winning slice backhands, touch volleys, spanked volley winners, and watching athletes have emotional moments on the big stage.

I actually like watching doubles more than singles because there's more going on at the net, but there's so seldom any doubles televised.

WowWow
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:26 PM
The sound produced when the ball touches the racket.

bobito
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:27 PM
^ I agree, not enough doubles shown.