PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Season Beginning | Petra's Quest for #1

Pages : [1] 2

Barktra
Dec 26th, 2011, 08:00 PM
In a week Petra will have her first match for Hopman cup against Pironkova and Bulgaria. Here is Petra's schedule for the Australian Swing.

Hopman Cup
Sydney
Australian Open

GO PETRA!!! :cheer:

Excelscior
Dec 26th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Nice, fitting title.

And nice picture of Vania (if that's her).

Barktra
Dec 26th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Thank you and yes that is Vania :)

Petronius
Dec 26th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Nice thread ! :clap2:

bruce goose
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Nice,to-the-point thread title to get Petra's year started:)

TimeyWimey
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:20 PM
:cheer:we have a new thread, finally :cheer:

bruce goose
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Hopman Cup pales in comparison to Fed Cup in importance,but good luck to Petra anyway:drive:

mac47
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Someone clarify the rankings points situation. Petra is not defending Brisbane, so she will drop points after that week, right? Or can she defend those points at Sidney (if the schedule changed from last year)?

bruce goose
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Someone clarify the rankings points situation. Petra is not defending Brisbane, so she will drop points after that week, right? Or can she defend those points at Sidney (if the schedule changed from last year)?The points stuff throws me off sometimes,too,b/c I don't pay close attention go it,but I basically agree with what Rafa said to a reporter long ago...and it applies to Petra,too: If she wins enough,the points will eventually come

Excelscior
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Someone clarify the rankings points situation. Petra is not defending Brisbane, so she will drop points after that week, right? Or can she defend those points at Sidney (if the schedule changed from last year)?

Yes, she will lose those points from Brisbane. Sydney is a week later.

Petra can make those points up (and then some) at Sydney, and end up being number one, that following Monday. That's if she wins or makes the finals. But it won't affect her Australian Open seeding (which will be based off her #2 ranking with the 280 Brisbane points already dropped off).

So it's possible, she can be ranked #1 at the start of the Australian Open, but she'll still be the #2 seed in the tournament.

I hope that helps!

chirag
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:32 AM
She needs to do well at the Ao and she pretty much guarantees it

paulmara
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Today's destination

http://www.beautifulaccommodation.com/images/gallery/Perth.jpg

Mon 2 Jan 2012 9:30 local time(2:30 CET) Pironkova
Wed 4 Jan 2012 17:00 local time (10:00 CET) Mattek-Sands
Fri 6 Jan 2012 13:00 local time (6:00 CET) Wozniacki

What are you afraid of ?
„Some kind of little animals.“ She wouldn´t take a snake in her hand, spiders are watched from distance. There was a bat in FIS hotel massage room when she was in the High Tatras. „First he was hanging but when he started to fly in a second I had my head under my towel. Brrr.“
Swimming not much popular
http://sport.idnes.cz/souperky-zavist-kvitova-se-spis-boji-sebe-a-hluboke-vody-a-netopyru-11m-/tenis.aspx?c=A111225_212137_tenis_ma

Petronius
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM
TBH, it would be probably better to rename the thread to Quest for the Aussie Open title, because Petra doesn't care much about the No.1, it will come anyway if she wins/goes deep at grandslams and improves her game.

Just a thought.

mac47
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Also, the #2 ranking generally gives you just as good a draw as the #1.

TimeyWimey
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Also, the #2 ranking generally gives you just as good a draw as the #1.

true, with a bye at sydney and possible 4th round clash with serena, kim, jaja, sabine, domi or pavly at melbourne based on the current ranking

TimeyWimey
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:54 PM
TBH, it would be probably better to rename the thread to Quest for the Aussie Open title, because Petra doesn't care much about the No.1, it will come anyway if she wins/goes deep at grandslams and improves her game.

Just a thought.

yeah, being no 1 doesn't guarantee a title at melbourne, but a title at melbourne would secure her no 1 spot for several weeks :bounce:

cosmoose
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I pray to god that Petra from last year's us hard court season doesn't show up!
*fingers crossed

Spring Pools
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:40 PM

She'll lose 280 points but if she wins Sydney, she'll get 470 points

iPatty
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:37 PM
In a week Petra will have her first match for Hopman cup against Caroline Wozniacki and Denmark. Here is Petra's schedule for the Australian Swing.

Hopman Cup
Sydney
Australian Open

GO PETRA!!! :cheer:

Just to clarify, her first match will actually be on Monday against Pironkova. Then she'll play Mattek-Sands on Wednesday and finally Wozniacki on Friday.

mac47
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:37 AM
I am really, really liking Petra's chances at AO this year. I was just watching her match against Flavia from the last AO, and it is amazing how much more aggressive she is about approaching the net now. The way she was doing that at the YEC will really help in Melbourne. Here's the match (thanks Dahltennis!):

bt-gCP_quTg

BikezAreForever!
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Got the tickets for wednesday and friday sesssions. They are not great tickets, rather far from the court but looking forward to some action nonetheless.

Petronius
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:38 AM
yeah, being no 1 doesn't guarantee a title at melbourne, but a title at melbourne would secure her no 1 spot for several weeks :bounce:

Exactly !

Excelscior
Dec 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM
@Petronius

I guess the title was written and was fitting, cause Petra can secure the #1 ranking if she wins Sydney, before even the Australian Open.

Of course she could either win it, lose it or maintain it at the Australian Open, as well.

But I guess the OP was taking it one by one, and didn't want to jump the gun (and whether she wins or loses the Australian Open, she'll still be on a quest for #1)? I hope she can get both!? Lol

pov
Dec 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Is Kvitova questing for #1? Or is it that some of her fans are obsessing over it? I don't know but IMO Kvitova seems to be focused on playing/winning and developing her game.

Petronius
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM
@Petronius

I guess the title was written and was fitting, cause Petra can secure the #1 ranking if she wins Sydney, before even the Australian Open.

Of course she could either win it, lose it or maintain it at the Australian Open, as well.

But I guess the OP was taking it one by one, and didn't want to jump the gun (and whether she wins or loses the Australian Open, she'll still be on a quest for #1)? I hope she can get both!? Lol

Ok, let's rename the thread after Sydney.;)
If Petra really cared about the NO.1 spot like a certain Polish/Danish lady, she would have never played Fedcup last year and instead appeared at a few additional MM tourneys to surpass the Dane in ranking.

Barktra
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:12 PM
What should the thread title be?

Petronius
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:22 PM

My suggestions:

Petra's quest for her 2nd grand slam title
Petra's quest for the Aussie Open title
Petra's quest for Australian glory
Petra's quest for Serena's wig :oh:

She doesn't care that much about the ranking like Caro, she wants to be a multi-slam champion :shrug:

Barktra
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I like Petra's quest for Australian Glory

Excelscior
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
The title is all for fun guys.

Why are we all taking it so seriously?

When each tournament comes up, the thread will be named for each tournament or Grand Slam anyway. That's whats always been done.

Considering Petra is not playing anything right now, I can see why the OP had the title. That's fine. I think Grand Slam Tournaments are terribly important as well (and have always said so).

On the other hand, calling it "The Quest For The Australian Open" when the OP created this thread, would of sounded a little premature, presumptuous, hokey and odd. Don't ya think? Lol

Petra is actually closer to number one right now, than she is to an Australian Open title (cause of Sydney). When the Australian rolls near, it will get a whole lot more publicity than this thread title, trust me. This will be forgotten (unless/until she does secure the #1 ranking).

Petronius
Dec 28th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I like it too ! Your thread title is obviously great, I just found it a bit inaccurate in light of what Petra said in that latest Q&A session we participated in.

Excelscior
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I like it too ! Your thread title is obviously great, I just found it a bit inaccurate in light of what Petra said in that latest Q&A session we participated in.

I do agree with you to Petronius. But in all fairness, I've read Petra say "Yes, the number one ranking is very important", as well. She has. She just hasn't said it as much as "I just want to get better and improve".

So it's not that I (or she) doesn't think that being number one is important. Petra does. She just knows that improving her game is even more important, because with that she can win more tournaments and majors in the future and through out her career, which of course should/would bring her the number one ranking.

Petra's learning how to fish (so she can get more and more), instead of just having a fish (and not having the tools to acquire more).

I'll spare any additional analogies or comparisons to any other WTA players at this point. Lol

Petronius
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Petra's learning how to fish (so she can get more and more), instead of just having a fish (and not having the tools to acquire more).

Agreed and nice analogy as well.

Excelscior
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:20 PM

Thanks.

Some where in there, I was trying to remember the old adage "if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach him how to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime". Lol

But it's true. Petra smart enough to know, what ever her ranking, if she doesn't continually improve, she can eventually fall back to the pack.

So some players may have a nice, big fish in their hand and marvel over it. But after a while it'll be gone. And if you truly don't know how to acquire any more; you'll eventually lose it. What then?

Petra would rather learn/have the skills, tools and acumen to fish for a lifetime, so she can feed her ravenous craving for WTA and ITF championships (along with any subsequent rankings that follow).

TimeyWimey
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:30 PM

Hi Petronius, one rookie question on Czech, what is the infinitive of pojď, is it příjít? and is there any website where i can find full conjugation of Czech verbs (basically for irregular verbs, and it doesn't have to be in English)? thanks

ExtremespeedX
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:51 AM
She will get #1 without a doubt. Slams are more important. I hope for at least 2 slams this year: AO and Wimbledon.

mac47
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I actually think Petra is more likely to win RG than to defend Wimbledon. (But she could do both....)

Excelscior
Dec 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM
@Mac47

I think she has an excellent chance of winning the French Open as well.

So many people don't realize this, but if you look at Petra's matches on Clay this year, you could argue she was the best player on the surface during big events (along with Li Na). Petra's serve works very well on the surface, and it gives her more time to set up for even more wicked powerful ground strokes.

She also appears quite comfortable on the surface, though she doesn't slide much. And the high bounces fall right into her hitting zone.

As I've stated in the past I wouldn't be shocked if she won Wimby, The Australian and the French Open next year?

I know you made your statement, because you feel Serena is stronger on Grass than on Clay. But I feel Petra is up to the challenge for either scenario.

Let's hope she is? It should be a very exciting year.

Petronius
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Hi Petronius, one rookie question on Czech, what is the infinitive of pojď, is it příjít? and is there any website where i can find full conjugation of Czech verbs (basically for irregular verbs, and it doesn't have to be in English)? thanks

Hi, reyeszjj. I'm glad that you find the website Paul has found useful. Your question reminded me again how tricky (yet funny) the Czech language is, just look at what I wrote below :lol:

"Pojď!" is the imperative of the word "půjdu" (I will go), which is the first-person singular of the future tense of the verb "jít" (to go). The tricky/funny part is that the imperative of the verb "jít" (to go) is "Jdi!" (Go!), so "Pojď!" is actually derived from the future version of this verb.

Thus, Petra's exclamation "Pojď!" basically means "Go!" (e.g. like "Go Canada Go" at ice-hockey matches) or some may translate it as "Come on!" and she uses it to pump herself up during matches.

As for your suggested word "příjít" (to come), it's just another verb derived from "jít" (to go) by adding the prefix "při". You can create many other verbs by adding different prefixes to "jít", e.g. "dojít" (to arrive) "najít" (to find) "přejít" (to cross), "projít" (to go through) and others. It's actually similar to English phrasal verbs. E.g. you take the verb "go" and you modify the meaning by adding on, off, in, on, up, through etc.

Good luck !

Petronius
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:00 PM
@Mac47

I think she has an excellent chance of winning the French Open as well.

So many people don't realize this, but if you look at Petra's matches on Clay this year, you could argue she was the best player on the surface during big events (along with Li Na). Petra's serve works very well on the surface, and it gives her more time to set up for even more wicked powerful ground strokes.

She also appears quite comfortable on the surface, though she doesn't slide much. And the high bounces fall right into her hitting zone.

As I've stated in the past I wouldn't be shocked if she won Wimby, The Australian and the French Open next year?

I know you made your statement, because you feel Serena is stronger on Grass than on Clay. But I feel Petra is up to the challenge for either scenario.

Let's hope she is? It should be a very exciting year.

Wasn't the speed and bounce of the Moscow 'Petra-proof' court somewhat similar to clay courts? It actually gave Petra more time to set up her groundstroke bombs. Her match against Makiri looked often like a match between a man and a woman, she totally overpowered the Russian.

Excelscior
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Wasn't the speed and bounce of the Moscow 'Petra-proof' court somewhat similar to clay courts? It actually gave Petra more time to set up her groundstroke bombs. Her match against Makiri looked often like a match between a man and a woman, she totally overpowered the Russian.

Agreed!

TimeyWimey
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Hi, reyeszjj. I'm glad that you find the website Paul has found useful. Your question reminded me again how tricky (yet funny) the Czech language is, just look at what I wrote below :lol:

"Pojď!" is the imperative of the word "půjdu" (I will go), which is the first-person singular of the future tense of the verb "jít" (to go). The tricky/funny part is that the imperative of the verb "jít" (to go) is "Jdi!" (Go!), so "Pojď!" is actually derived from the future version of this verb.

Thus, Petra's exclamation "Pojď!" basically means "Go!" (e.g. like "Go Canada Go" at ice-hockey matches) or some may translate it as "Come on!" and she uses it to pump herself up during matches.

As for your suggested word "příjít" (to come), it's just another verb derived from "jít" (to go) by adding the prefix "při". You can create many other verbs by adding different prefixes to "jít", e.g. "dojít" (to arrive) "najít" (to find) "přejít" (to cross), "projít" (to go through) and others. It's actually similar to English phrasal verbs. E.g. you take the verb "go" and you modify the meaning by adding on, off, in, on, up, through etc.

Good luck !

ufffff, very tough, but a lot fun when I can start to read articles on iDNES.cz ;)

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Come on Kvitty :cheer:

plokploky
Dec 30th, 2011, 10:55 PM
while I hope she wins two grand slams this year,I would rather she won one and got the finals and semis of the others and have no first round losses, cause then the woztards wouldn't rub the us open in Kvitty fans.

Excelscior
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Don't worry. I think she'll be even more consistent this year compared to last year; especially on outdoor hardcourts.

And Welcome Plokploky (don't think I've seen you post here before).

plokploky
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I joined around the same time as you, but i didn't start posting cause i only started watching tennis properly just before RG and I wanted to watch to the end of the season before i formed any opinions. But now that thats happened, my favourite player is Kvitova.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Petronius
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:12 PM
ufffff, very tough, but a lot fun when I can start to read articles on iDNES.cz ;)

You read idnes.cz ? :worship: I actually know a few Brits/Americans who have mastered the Czech language very well, so it's definitely a 'mission possible'. Plus, with the Internet, Google Translator, bilingual sites, etc., learning foreign languages has become easier than ever.

Excelscior
Dec 31st, 2011, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I joined around the same time as you, but i didn't start posting cause i only started watching tennis properly just before RG and I wanted to watch to the end of the season before i formed any opinions. But now that thats happened, my favourite player is Kvitova.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Fantastic!

You have good taste in tennis players. :lol: :devil: :lol:

Welcome again.

plokploky
Dec 31st, 2011, 01:53 AM
Fantastic!

You have good taste in tennis players. :lol: :devil: :lol:

Welcome again.

:devil::devil::devil: Thanks. All Petra fans seem to be quite welcoming.

TimeyWimey
Dec 31st, 2011, 02:31 AM
You read idnes.cz ? :worship: I actually know a few Brits/Americans who have mastered the Czech language very well, so it's definitely a 'mission possible'. Plus, with the Internet, Google Translator, bilingual sites, etc., learning foreign languages has become easier than ever.

I'm now reading word by word since I'm still turning the brutal memorization into second nature, btw Petronius, can you recommend some website (maybe designed for kids) where the language used is not that advanced (for example, cartoon in Czech. Tom and Jerry, if you have the Czech version or the cute Pocoyó :lol:)?

bruce goose
Dec 31st, 2011, 04:35 AM
Already the 31st of Dec. in the CR,so there's less than one full day remaining in Petra's breakout year.Though it's possible that she'll experience a little bit of a "sophomore slump" at times,if Petra finishes 2012 at or near the same level that she did this year,then that will decisively show that she's at the top to stay

Sasja
Dec 31st, 2011, 08:53 AM
Finally,new season about to start for Petra ;)
I'm really excited. Hope she starts well in Australia :cheer:

Corswandt
Dec 31st, 2011, 03:44 PM
Early 2012 calendar:

Hopton Cup (Perth)
Sydney
Australian Open
Fed Cup (Stuttgart - indoor hard)
Week off
Doha
Dubai
Week off
Week off
Indian Wells
Miami

bruce goose
Dec 31st, 2011, 06:54 PM
Even though Petra is waiting 'til Sydney for her first real tournament,it feels like we're pretty much there to me...maybe cuz vacation is almost over and we're seeing other gals swing the racket with a purpose.VAMOS PETRA 2012:bounce:!!!

AfroIYH
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:05 PM
I hope she's cured that confidence issue she seemed to have at the Tour Finals, Only a few points she didn't yell out after winning.

Excelscior
Dec 31st, 2011, 08:07 PM
@AfroIYH

First of all Welcome! Haven't seen you post before.

Now back to your post. If you're talking about the WTA Year ender?

I don't think it was a confidence issue. I think it was the opposite.

I think being the last event of the year (almost), playing the top players (especially those pesky defensive baseliners), the slow surface and after her struggles post Wimbledon, I think Petra took it all more seriously when she reached the finals.

Combine that with the fact, that she expects more excellence from herself now as a GS Champion, her expression wasn't necessarily a lack of confidence. I think it was Petra being more comfortable within, to express herself and realizing the situation (YEC Championship with all eyes on her now Post Wimby), so it meant a lot to her. It was all a build up from the beginning of the year.

I'm sure she'll express herself in the deeper rounds (if she gets there) in the Australian as well, because of the slow, outdoor hard court and the increased expectations and attention, Post Wimby.

If she wins the Australian, then you'll probably see her appear more relaxed and composed at the French. But who knows?

Plus; the Stosur and Azarenka matches were three setters; so she new she wasn't playing as well and/or had lapses (plus they were better opponents). In her first three rounds (that she won in straight sets), she was more serene; even when behind Radwanska.

I think what you saw was the competitor in her being outwardly expressed; not necessarily a lack of confidence.

bruce goose
Dec 31st, 2011, 09:02 PM
I hope she's cured that confidence issue she seemed to have at the Tour Finals, Only a few points she didn't yell out after winning.Firstly,welcome....Second,confidence can be fragile for the female athlete sometimes;I've even seen rare moments when the ultra-confident Steffi Graf went way off her game when she missed a few key shots.However,Petra has already achieved the sort of victories that usually instill quite a bit of self-belief in one's ability to repeat those feats.....Let's hope,for Petra's sake;),that I'm not off-base on that

pov
Dec 31st, 2011, 09:04 PM
"Petra's 2012 Season: Step 1 - Australia" ?

Petronius
Dec 31st, 2011, 09:08 PM
I'm now reading word by word since I'm still turning the brutal memorization into second nature, btw Petronius, can you recommend some website (maybe designed for kids) where the language used is not that advanced (for example, cartoon in Czech. Tom and Jerry, if you have the Czech version or the cute Pocoyó :lol:)?

I will try to find something that you'll like. Stay tuned!

Petronius
Dec 31st, 2011, 09:11 PM
:devil::devil::devil: Thanks. All Petra fans seem to be quite welcoming.

Welcome, we need more people from the UK, as Petra will spend almost two months in your country this year: Eastbourne, Wimbly, training, Olympics !

Petronius
Dec 31st, 2011, 09:13 PM
I hope she's cured that confidence issue she seemed to have at the Tour Finals, Only a few points she didn't yell out after winning.

Welcome to you as well. As I said above, we need more people from the UK to provide us with some local insight, as Petra will spend almost two months in your country this year: Eastbourne, Wimbly, training, Olympics !

AfroIYH
Dec 31st, 2011, 09:37 PM
Well first off, I'm not sure how accurate it is, as I don't speak Czech but the British Eurosport commentators keep saying she's saying Pok (or there abouts) which is Czech for come on, now if she's saying this after every point during her match with Azarenka at the Tour Finals, surely she's becoming Ivanovic who used to do something similar, regardless of the discussion of Ivanovic's mismanagement, surely saying Come on after every point means she has a knock on her confidence.

The fact she was undefeated on Indoor courts last year should tell you the Tour Finals worked well for her game, did she need the Finals more than everyone originally thought?

Petronius
Dec 31st, 2011, 10:18 PM
Well first off, I'm not sure how accurate it is, as I don't speak Czech but the British Eurosport commentators keep saying she's saying Pok (or there abouts) which is Czech for come on.

It's "Pojď!" or informally "Poď!"

Did she need the Finals more than everyone originally thought?

It's the 5th biggest tournament of the season, everybody wants to win it :shrug:

AfroIYH
Dec 31st, 2011, 10:32 PM
It might be the 5th biggest tournament but she won Wimbledon without hardly making a sound, you would think she'd need that more.

bruce goose
Dec 31st, 2011, 10:42 PM
Well first off, I'm not sure how accurate it is, as I don't speak Czech but the British Eurosport commentators keep saying she's saying Pok (or there abouts) which is Czech for come on, now if she's saying this after every point during her match with Azarenka at the Tour Finals, surely she's becoming Ivanovic who used to do something similar, regardless of the discussion of Ivanovic's mismanagement, surely saying Come on after every point means she has a knock on her confidence.

The fact she was undefeated on Indoor courts last year should tell you the Tour Finals worked well for her game, did she need the Finals more than everyone originally thought?As an ex-Ivanovic fan who grew tired of her appalling lack of integrity and character,I've been given an easy target by your post:lol:...but I'll stay on topic:

Don't see any direct correlation between lack of confidence and exultation--which is not to say that there's never a link,just not an ironclad cause-effect relationship.Serena is arguably one of the most confident gals we've seen,based on her amazing success in big matches,and I don't think her 'Come On!'s stem from lack of confidence.Though I can't empirically prove what's inside Petra's head,even her body language tells me that her 'Poj'd's don't originate with self-doubt...it's more likely a tool to fire her up whenever she feels that she needs that little boost

AfroIYH
Dec 31st, 2011, 10:53 PM
As an ex-Ivanovic fan who grew tired of her appalling lack of integrity and character,I've been given an easy target by your post:lol:...but I'll stay on topic:

Don't see any direct correlation between lack of confidence and exultation--which is not to say that there's never a link,just not an ironclad cause-effect relationship.Serena is arguably one of the most confident gals we've seen,based on her amazing success in big matches,and I don't think her 'Come On!'s stem from lack of confidence.Though I can't empirically prove what's inside Petra's head,even her body language tells me that her 'Poj'd's don't originate with self-doubt...it's more likely a tool to fire her up whenever she feels that she needs that little boost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZgHTmWWsQE
Well I wouldn't naturally correlate it, it may only be a highlight video, but its very noticeable around the 8 minute mark. Does she need firing up after every point?

Excelscior
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:15 PM
As an ex-Ivanovic fan who grew tired of her appalling lack of integrity and character,I've been given an easy target by your post:lol:...but I'll stay on topic:

@AfroIYH

This......is exactly what Petra has stated when she she shouts "Poj'd on the court.

That's the answer. She's trying to pump herself up.

When she's absolutely dominant (on a comfortable surface) like Wimbledon, she's probably not going to make noise. But as I, Petronius and Bruce says here, the stakes are much higher for Petra now. The world is watching, and I'm sure she wanted to get that Near Major/YEC at the end of the year. Who wouldn't?

No we can't read Petra's mind exactly. But Petra knows she's a better player now. And as Apoleb of TF and ESPN writer Ravi Ubha has stated in the past, "she's become more vocal and critical of her play at times, cause she expects better (or as Bruce and Petra said she's "pumping her self up)". Petra's just confident enough to express herself more outwardly now. She doesn't care, worry what we think or feel she has to ask for permission. She's in her own zone and now treats the tennis court as her living room. That's a good thing. Serena and Sharapova do the same.

That doesn't mean she'll always be that way (cause she was quiet at Linz), but like Petronius said, it was the YEC final.

PS: I love Simon Reed, Sam Smith, Joe Durie and Sue Barker, etc, but sometimes they talk too much (or you just have to politely ignore them); particularly Reed.

When Petra played her second round at Linz, Simon Reed went on and on about how awful Petra looked (despite the fact she won the first set 6-2). But what he didn't say, that I saw so clearly, was that Petra was working her way into form. And by the time the 2nd set rolled around, Reed was much more satisfied. I'm sure he knew that. But he had to still run his mouth, though Sam Smith tried to temper his insults through out with levity.

Needless to say, Petra went on to win the match 6-2 6-3, Linz, and eventually the YEC. And now Simon Reed says Petra's ready to dominate in 2012. So what can you do/say? Shrugs.

That's my two cents.

PS: Despite my view of why she did it (compared to yours), I do think Petra could of tempered or lowered the volume of some of her Poj'd's. But hey; what ever worked, pumped her up!? Shrugs.

Petronius
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:50 PM
Well I wouldn't naturally correlate it, it may only be a highlight video, but its very noticeable around the 8 minute mark. Does she need firing up after every point?

I agree that the shrieking/yelling is extremely noticeable after the 8 minute mark, but rememeber that this was one of the most important games of the entire tournament, It was the first game of the third set of the final and Petra was down 0:40, but managed to turn the game around. No wonder she yelled like crazy after every point in this game :lol:

TimeyWimey
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:55 AM

to answer your question, yes, she does, in that game which she comes back from 0-40 to hold serve

bruce goose
Jan 1st, 2012, 04:47 AM
happy new year,Petra:D!!...and,ummm,don't drink cognac--like I'm doing right now:help:--while you're training for tournaments....save it for AFTER your Fed Cup 2012 finale triumph;)

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 1st, 2012, 07:23 AM
All the best Petra in 2012.:cheer: May all the good luck be with you.:rocker2: Snatch the WTA wig once again.:oh:

AfroIYH
Jan 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM
Anyway, there's no point in arguing we'll likely repeat the same points. In 2012 I see Kvitova's biggest rivals to be Azarenka and Sharapova, especially if Sharapova can get over the faulty serve.

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 1st, 2012, 10:37 AM
Anyway, there's no point in arguing we'll likely repeat the same points. In 2012 I see Kvitova's biggest rivals to be Azarenka and Sharapova, especially if Sharapova can get over the faulty serve.

Hi AfroIYH,

Welcome to the forum! Actually I see it a little differently. We've seen that Petra can handle Vika and Masha pretty confidently, although beating both require her to play at a very high level. I'm interested in seeing what Petra can do against a healthy, hungry Serena or Kim. And I'd also like to see her regain domination over Petko again. Some of those losses last year really stunk. I couldn't believe my eyes watching them.

:worship: Queen Petra is the best!!! :worship:

Time to rock n' roll baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let the games begin!!!!! :bounce:

Petronius
Jan 1st, 2012, 04:44 PM

I have found this, hope you'll like it!

http://www.disney.estranky.cz/clanky/komiksy-online.html

plokploky
Jan 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
I want petra to win in two relatively easy sets against pironkova today. If she can do that, then she can destroy bethanie and hopefully wozniacki as well. Kvitty has the weapons to do this, and tsvety is mediocre on anywhere but grass.

Barktra
Jan 1st, 2012, 08:49 PM
Is there going to be a stream for Petra's match against Pironkova? Also looking forward to see how Petra is going to play in the mixed doubles rubber

Excelscior
Jan 1st, 2012, 09:07 PM
@Jupiterlove

www.Livescorehunter.com will have it.

Just go to tennis, then Hyundai Hopman Cup (Australia), then Live Streaming

Petra's match should be 8:30 pm est.

Perth Australia is 13hrs ahead of US EST.

Barktra
Jan 1st, 2012, 09:11 PM
Okay thank you Excelscior. This will show the mixed rubber to?

mac47
Jan 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM
You're saying Petra's match Willie streamed at 8:30 AM in NYC? (which means it's starting at 9:30 PM in Perth?) I want to watch it if I can get LSH to work for me.

mac47
Jan 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM
Oops. Just checked the schedule here:

http://hopmancup.com/Teams-Schedule.html

Petra's match is at 9:30 in the morning (Monday) in Perth, which means it'll be streaming this (Sunday) evening in USA. Excelscior has it right above. So glad it's happening tonight, as I have the day off.

AfroIYH
Jan 1st, 2012, 10:17 PM
For UK users it starts at 1:30 AM, so endure and fight off the Sandman.
For anyone interested here's the rundown of their H2H.
http://www.wtatennis.com/headtohead/tsvetana-pironkova_2255881_10365/0,,12781~10365~13403,00.html

Excelscior
Jan 1st, 2012, 10:54 PM
@Jupiterlove.

Your welcome.

Yes!

When I looked at the stream schedule, they had the mixed doubles match as well (unless I'm mistaken).

You'll notice it, or look for it, when you get to the streaming area and see all the matches listed.

If I remember correctly, I saw Li Na's mixed doubles match the other day; so they should show it.

Keep in mind though, that the mixed doubles match will be at 5am US Est. Lol

It's scheduled for 6pm Perth Australia time, Monday evening.

cosmoose
Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:03 AM
I was rather pleased with Petra's performance.
She wasn't razor sharp but she oozed with confidence.
No panic or meltdown. It was all under control.
Petra's "lack of power" on her groundstrokes could be attributed to the slow surface rather than her new racquet.
Tsveti is one of the hardest hitters on tour and she couldn't hang with Petra.

Everything is proceeding according to the master plan!

Who is her next singles victim?

Excelscior
Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
I was rather pleased with Petra's performance.
She wasn't razor sharp but she oozed with confidence.
No panic or meltdown. It was all under control.
Petra's "lack of power" on her groundstrokes could be attributed to the slow surface rather than her new racquet.
Tsveti is one of the hardest hitters on tour and she couldn't hang with Petra.

Everything is proceeding according to the master plan!

Who is her next singles victim?

More than likely, her slower ground strokes came from Petra just trying to hit the ball in early, till she gains her form. That's what it looks like to me. She tries to do that every tournament.

It just seemed here in Perth, she found a better middle ground (hitting it harder than usual for so soon, though certainly not close to her hardest, and keeping the errors down) early in a tournament. Good for her, as you noticed.

YEC and Moscow were much slower surfaces and Petra was hitting absolute missiles in them.

Don't worry. That will come with a few more matches! Lol

Her next Opponent (I know you called them something else; lol) is Bethany Matek Sands of the US on Tues in Perth. It's Monday night (or early Tues morning) for us in the US.

Perth is 13 hrs ahead of EST US.

mac47
Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:48 AM
@cosmoose, you're definitely right that Petra was super-confident. She was never worried about anything in that match. And as mediocre as her play was overall, she was money when the chips were down. She saved an ungodly number of break points, and no sooner had Pironkova leveled the first set at 4-4 than Petra cooly broke her again and then didn't give her a chance in the final game of the set.

I think she has learned that she really is that good.

One thing I was a bit disappointed in tonight was that Petra's groundstrokes didn't seem as fast as usual. The other matches I've watched this year, she has seemed to overwhelm her opponents with power, forcing errors as they cant handle the pace, but that wasnt happening to Pironkova. I've now read other TF members speculating about why that was. Were her shots slower because she was pulling her punches in order to keep them in? (But they weren't staying in. She hit as many wild shanks as ever.) I hope to God it isn't the new racquet.

Excelscior
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:31 AM
@Mac47

Don't worry. She'll be fine. Lol

Unless Petra comes into a tournament already in form/just off another deep run in a tournament, she always hit's like this early, till she gets her form (or loses the match; if she's really bad).

Yes! Despite this, she still made mistakes. But that's cause she's still trying to largely hit through the ball; and attain that hard hitting stroke. Yeah. She went for it on more than a few occasions! Lol

If you would of watched her second round match at Linz, you would of saw the same thing, except she hit the ball worse, softer and made more errors in the first set of that second rd match. But by the second set, she was swinging much better/making less errors (and eventually won the whole tournament, swinging and moving like the Championship style Petra you like to remember).

That's the form/confidence (at Linz), that made her win the YEC. That's what she brought to Istanbul. But she hit weaker at Linz in the 1st and 2nd rd, than this match here in Perth-Australia.

So, no worries, yet/at this point!

This is actually pretty good for Petra so early. I've actually seen her look a lot more sloppy at this point/in a first match. She even hit some ROS winners, which is usually the skill that comes absolutely last when she's rounding into form. It looks like She tried to play a controlled match, while still mixing an assortment of hard, crafty shots and winners. Good for her!

On to Ms. Bethanie. Oh yeah. There's doubles first at 5am EST, US time. Lol

Sasja
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:37 AM
Petra def Pironkova 6-4 6-2 :)

Nice start :)

After her match Petra said:
“Of course the first match was tough and I got it. I won and really it’s one-zero so hopefully Tomas can win also," Kvitova said.

“Unfortunately I didn’t have a lot of time to visit Perth but I played well and it was really fun for me.”

“The last season was longer than normal and I had some rest and hopefully I am ready for the play matches and we will see how it is going. I’m not fighting against Caroline who is in first spot.”

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
Petra def Pironkova 6-4 6-2 :)

Nice start :)

After her match Petra said:

Well she doesn't need to fight against Caro to be #1, she will earn that #1 herself by winning AO.:devil: :lol: :cheer:

Sasja
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:49 AM
Well she doesn't need to fight against Caro to be #1, she will earn that #1 herself by winning AO.:devil: :lol: :cheer:

:oh:

cosmoose
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:54 AM
I think we should give some credit to Pironkova.
Pironkova is one of the hardest hitters on the tour.
So Petra's groundstrokes didn't seem that much faster in relation to Pironkova.
Still, there were plenty of winners that made Pironkova look like a living statue! ;)

Just heard an interview with Berdych after his win.
Paraphrasing, "For many years, I was the leader of Czech Republic tennis. Now Petra is the leader!"
Smart boy! :D

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
More than likely, her slower ground strokes came from Petra just trying to hit the ball in early, till she gains her form. That's what it looks like to me. She tries to do that every tournament.

It just seemed here in Perth, she found a better middle ground (hitting it harder than usual for so soon, though certainly not close to her hardest, and keeping the errors down) early in a tournament. Good for her, as you noticed.

YEC and Moscow were much slower surfaces and Petra was hitting absolute missiles in them.

Don't worry. That will come with a few more matches! Lol

Her next Opponent (I know you called them something else; lol) is Bethany Matek Sands of the US on Tues in Perth. It's Monday night (or early Tues morning) for us in the US.

Perth is 13 hrs ahead of EST US.

Hi Ex,

I was really pleased with how Petra came out firing today. I caught the singles matches at 2:30am this morning. For those in CZ who didn't get to see them, they are reshowing the matches at 7pm on CT4.

It appeared to me like she is still warming up to the new racket and the new season. By her lack of barking and less intensive banging it appeared to me that her intensity level for the match was significantly lower than it was at the YEC. She's definitely still trying to find her touch with the new racket as many of her shots showed. It did seem like she is trying to play a little more high percentage tennis in an attempt to keep the ball in on rallies. However, I felt her serve was quite good for so early and she definitely showed flashes of last year's end of year form. Mentally, it was great to see how calm, level and mature she played overall. Maybe she's starting to get over her habit of going on walkabout. :)

I know it's way early, but I smell a helluva year coming on! :bounce:

:worship: Go Petra Go!!!! :worship:

mac47
Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:25 PM
I just could not believe how well she played Dimitrov in cross court groundstroke rallies in the doubles. I kept expecting his power and spin to be too much for a woman, but she kept sending his shots back with interest, taking full swings. Every time, he gave up on her and decided to change directions and pass Berdych instead.

So I'm sold on the new racquet if it can do that.

AfroIYH
Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
Here are the times for Czech Republic's next 2 matches and Final (Hope for the best), these are only the timezones I've seen of Frequent posters here.
Czech vs. USA
4 January 2012, 4AM (US, New York, EST)
4 January 2012, 9AM (United Kingdom)
4 January 2012, 10AM (Netherlands/Czech Republic, CET)
4 January 2012, 5PM (Australia)
Czech vs. Denmark
5/6 January 2012, 12AM (US, New York, EST)
6 January 2012, 5AM (United Kingdom)
6 January 2012, 6AM (Netherlands/Czech Republic, CET)
6 January 2012, 1PM (Australia)
Czech vs. Group B Winner (Hope for the best).
7 January 2012, 2AM (US, New York, EST)
7 January 2012, 7AM (United Kingdom)
7 January 2012, 8AM (Netherlands/Czech Republic, CET)
7 January 2012, 3PM (Australia)

Spring Pools
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:28 PM
Is Kvitova actually using the Steam or is it a paintjob?

Petronius
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:45 PM
Here are the times for Czech Republic's next 2 matches and Final (Hope for the best), these are only the timezones I've seen of Frequent posters here.
Czech vs. USA
4 January 2012, 4AM (US, New York, EST)
4 January 2012, 9AM (United Kingdom)
4 January 2012, 10AM (Netherlands/Czech Republic, CET)
4 January 2012, 5PM (Australia)
Czech vs. Denmark
5/6 January 2012, 12AM (US, New York, EST)
6 January 2012, 5AM (United Kingdom)
6 January 2012, 6AM (Netherlands/Czech Republic, CET)
6 January 2012, 1PM (Australia)
Czech vs. Group B Winner (Hope for the best).

paulmara
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
… Q In preseason there was a minor Achilles tendon injury ?
Petra : I ´m not completely healthy. Pain from Achilles tendon shoots to my calf... My forearm is aching. I think the balls are too soft and fly slow. (Plus trouble with breathing) It is like playing in a tent.
(Note Otherwise good news)

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/uspesnou-premieru-kvitove-v-hopman-cupu-kazi-drobna-zraneni--997971

plokploky
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
I don't mind if she doesn't get to the final, but I want her to win all her singles matches and start increasing her pace a bit as well.

Excelscior
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Hi Ex,

I was really pleased with how Petra came out firing today. I caught the singles matches at 2:30am this morning. For those in CZ who didn't get to see them, they are reshowing the matches at 7pm on CT4.

It appeared to me like she is still warming up to the new racket and the new season. By her lack of barking and less intensive banging it appeared to me that her intensity level for the match was significantly lower than it was at the YEC. She's definitely still trying to find her touch with the new racket as many of her shots showed. It did seem like she is trying to play a little more high percentage tennis in an attempt to keep the ball in on rallies. However, I felt her serve was quite good for so early and she definitely showed flashes of last year's end of year form. Mentally, it was great to see how calm, level and mature she played overall. Maybe she's starting to get over habit of going on walkabout. :)

I know it's way early, but I smell a helluva year coming on! :bounce:

:worship: Go Petra Go!!!! :worship:

Nice overall post and assessment.

Nice individual points.

Yes it's early. Lol

Petra could certainly be embarking on something special?

But we'll see?

And like you, I look forward to 2012.

Go Petra!

Excelscior
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
@Paulmara

That was a lot of shit you just said/reprinted. Lol

Whoa?

How long ago was she injured. And how bad?

I'm assuming, it can't be that bad or she wouldn't be playing (kinda like the abductor injury during Wimbledon)?

Were you joking with your last sentence? Lol

mac47
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:59 PM
Petra could certainly be embarking on something special?

Fixed your emphasis.

Petronius
Jan 2nd, 2012, 06:04 PM
How long ago was she injured. And how bad?

Since that tough Czech league three-setter with Lucie Hradecká. I hope she'll be fine by Melbourne though.

Excelscior
Jan 2nd, 2012, 06:06 PM
@Petronius

What they hell was she doing risking injury during a damn Czech Inter-league (with feigned anger, stamping of feet, rolled eyes and raised eyebrows)!!?? Lol

I know it's important to you guys, but Petra's got think about her season, especially when she's not in top playing shape (as this injury clearly demonstrates). WTF?

I hope she'll be okay. I'm thinking it's minor?

plokploky
Jan 2nd, 2012, 06:08 PM
She didn't look injured and she still won against pironkova, who played quite well for her, effortlessly. I'm sure she will be fine in the coming matches.

Petronius
Jan 2nd, 2012, 06:23 PM
@Petronius

What they hell was she doing risking injury during a damn Czech Inter-league (with feigned anger, stamping of feet, rolled eyes and raised eyebrows)!!?? Lol

I know it's important to you guys, but Petra's got think about her season, especially when she's not in top playing shape (as this injury clearly demonstrates). WTF?

I hope she'll be okay. I'm thinking it's minor?

Yes, she has two minor issues, but expects to be fine when it really matters. She herself says "These things are normal", she's accustomed to these minor 'injuries'. She went on to say that she considered the match with Lucie as a great preparation (and I think it paid off in the Pironkova match).
Do you remember that YEC match with Radwanska when Petra was already through to the semis ? She would never tank it and the same applies to the Lucie match although she was not fully fit.

Despite having minor issues, an 80-percent fit Petra handled the Bulgarian pretty comfortably.

Excelscior
Jan 2nd, 2012, 07:26 PM
Petra's still growing/learning the media (or she's just plain ol feisty). Post match interviewing/jockeying with them. I'm sure it's overstated. Still a funny characterization. Lol. Some Berdych comments as well.

Kvitova shuns ranking talk to focus on titles

http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20120102&t=2&i=553525270&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=BTRE8010RNR00(Reuters) -

By Will Swanton

PERTH | Mon Jan 2, 2012 4:57am EST

Petra Kvitova admits the attention surrounding her attempt to overhaul Caroline Wozniacki at the top of the women's tennis rankings is getting on her nerves.

Kvitova demolished Tsvetana Pironkova on Monday as the top-seeded Czech Republic defeated Bulgaria 2-1 to drive home their position as favorites for the Hopman Cup title.

Kvitova was a convincing 6-4 6-2 winner over Pironkova before team mate Tomas Berdych trumped Grigor Dimitrov 6-4 6-7 (9-11) 6-3. Bulgaria won the mixed doubles 2-6 6-3 (11-9) to save face in the Group A clash.

After a breakthrough year in which she won Wimbledon and the WTA Championships, surged from 34th to second in the world and led the Czech Republic to victory in the Fed Cup, Kvitova trails Denmark's Wozniacki by a mere 115 points in the rankings.

She could leapfrog Wozniacki by the end of the month if she fares better at the Sydney International and Australian Open tournaments.

Should Kvitova achieve that goal, she would become the Czech Republic's first world number one since the reign of her idol Martina Navratilova ended in 1987.

Kvitova and Wozniacki will clash at the Hopman Cup on Friday in what could set the tone for the Australian summer.

Wozniacki leads their head-to-head 3-2 but Kvitova won their two most important meetings last year, at Wimbledon and the WTA Championships at Istanbul.

Quietly spoken and modest, Kvitova said constant talk about her rivalry with Wozniacki was beginning to wear thin.

"Sometimes it's crazy that everywhere you go, you get the same questions being asked," Kvitova told reporters.

DOUBLE AMBITION

"I know that for you (the media) it's important to know about it but for me, I just want to play and try to have fun on court," she added.

"Last year in the four grand slams we had four different winners so it's not only about me even though I have won a grand slam and I know the feeling. It would be nice to feel that again in Australia.

"But it was only one year ago that I was number 34 and I am still getting used to this. I want to improve every part of my game and not be focused on being ranked number one."

Asked if she would rather win another major title or be number one, Kvitova replied: "Ok, I will say it... both."

Berdych had his work cut out against a 20-year-old Bulgarian nicknamed 'Prime Time' for his supreme shotmaking skills, flawless technique and near-certain rise to the serious end of the rankings.

Dimitrov held his nerve in the marathon second-set tiebreaker but his third set was a symphony of unforced errors, as Berdych eventually prevailed in 125 minutes.

Berdych's loss with Kvitova in the mixed doubles took his Hopman record in that form to 0-7. "It was not my best effort," he said. "But we won the tie and that's all that matters. The mixed doesn't count when we have already won both the singles."

Wozniacki was due to begin her Hopman Cup campaign later on Monday when Denmark take on the U.S.

(Editing by John O'Brien)

I found that "Ok, I will say it... both." line, quite humorous. And I can just imagine how Petra sounded when she said it, in her cute, slowly spoken broken English. Lol

mac47
Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:06 PM
Much as we might like Petra to say, "I'm the best, and I'm going to snatch everyone's wig this year, and especially Caro's", that really isn't her style. Serena's, but not Petra's.

Excelscior
Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:42 PM
Kvitova sets up Czech win
World number two off to a winning start in Perth

Last Updated: January 2, 2012 3:50pm
http://img.skysports.com/12/01/660x350/petrakvitova_2697465.jpg

Petra Kvitova looked in good form as she helped Czech Republic to victory in their opening Hopman Cup match against Bulgaria.

The Wimbledon champion saw off Tsvetana Pironkova 6-4 6-2 in 75 minutes before teaming up with Tomas Berdych in the mixed doubles.

Kvitova admitted the pressure of consistently performing at the highest level is difficult to deal with now she is ranked second in the world.

"Every season is different," she said. "One year ago I was 34, now I am two at the start of the season and everyone is seeing me on the court for the first time, and it's not always easy to play on the court.

Mmmhhh.

As far as being #2, and what Petra described; I'm not sure if it's actually pressure (at least at this stage)? But I'm sure it's different. And what's "not always easy to play on the court (or is that a poor translation)?" What!? Fans coming out to see me for the first time?

Shoot! That would actually help me play, cause I wouldn't want to disappoint people. Yeah. That would get me pumped up for most matches, and not worry about my rankings, etc.

I'm sure Petra sees it with bemusement (all the new attention), when she's off the court, and it brings up her competitive fire, when she's on the court.

It should be an interesting year, journey, revelations and development.

Excelscior
Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Wow!

Petra's little post game quotes are being heard around the world.

Here's a post match CNN article.

Top-seeded Czechs start with victory
January 2, 2012 -- Updated 1554 GMT (2354 HKT)

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120102015020-tennis-kvitova-story-top.jpg
Petra Kvitova was in sparkling form on her return to action in the Hopman Cup

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Top-seeded Czech Republic defeat Bulgaria in the Hopman Cup
World number two Petra Kvitova beats Tsvetana Pironkova in straight sets
Tomas Berdych seals Czech victory with success over Grigor Dimitrov
World number one Caroline Wozniaki helps Denmark beat United States

(CNN) -- Top seeds Czech Republic have opened their Hopman Cup campaign with a 2-1 Group A victory over Bulgaria on Monday.

World number two Petra Kvitova set the ball rolling in Perth with a 6-4 6-2 success over Tsvetana Pironkova, ranked 46th in the world.

And men's number seven Tomas Berdych secured the triumph after defeating Grigor Dimitrov 6-4 6-7 6-3.

Hewitt is beaten on comeback

Kvitova believes she will be under more pressure this year, after a remarkable 2011 which saw her win both Wimbledon and the WTA Tour Championships -- as well as leading the Czech Republic to their Fed Cup triumph.
One year ago I was 34th in the world and now I am world ranked second
Petra Kvitova

"Every season is different. One year ago I was 34th in the world and now I am world ranked second." Kvitova told reporters after her victory.

"It is not always easy to play on the court and the first match of the year is always tough, but I played well."

Funny!

It's interesting all the varying debate here on how Petra played, when she herself thinks she played well.

Petra's funny. I know she just wants to play tennis (when she wants). But I'm sure she can handle/get used to it; cause you see how well she scrubs up and her willingness to take photos, when she's in a non tennis/glammed up environment.

She likes the attention. It's just the time, place and attitude with her, especially when she least expects it (like walking to or from practice or a match and having various strangers talk to her or ask for her autograph in transit). It's like Tupac; "All Eyes On Me"! Lol

AfroIYH
Jan 3rd, 2012, 07:39 AM
Much as we might like Petra to say, "I'm the best, and I'm going to snatch everyone's wig this year, and especially Caro's", that really isn't her style. Serena's, but not Petra's.
http://thumbnails43.imagebam.com/16776/4a12bb167757366.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/4a12bb167757366)
I don't know to me this pic says "I'm Petra Bitch"

mac47
Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
No, no, no. It doesn't SAY anything. She's gesturing to the hardware. It says everything for her.

AfroIYH
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
Coud be a caption this comp, She could be saying "You'll never guess what I found on my trophy case this morning."

Spring Pools
Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:20 PM
I feel like Petra's mindset is like this:
"If I win every tournament I play, I'll become number 1"
which is a good way to look at things.

Petronius
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
Coud be a caption this comp, She could be saying "You'll never guess what I found on my trophy case this morning."

TF member Dentine did the best job on the caption, IMO

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/tennischica/393606_249170598480360_185199214877499_794489_1329 012260_n.jpg

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:37 PM
I just could not believe how well she played Dimitrov in cross court groundstroke rallies in the doubles. I kept expecting his power and spin to be too much for a woman, but she kept sending his shots back with interest, taking full swings. Every time, he gave up on her and decided to change directions and pass Berdych instead.

That's great news Big Mac. I never was able to catch the doubles match, so thanks for the mini-report. :)

HowardH
Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:02 PM

She did pretty well in the cc exchanges but I wouldn't quite put it that way. She wasn't winning that exchange. Dimitrov was able to pass Berdych dtl because he was feeling comfortable with Petra's cc and felt he could change the direction when he wanted. It's more like, every time they rallied cc Petra hung in there and hit well, but eventually Dimitrov got a ball he could pass Berdych with. Petra on the other hand was only able to continue to hit it cc without daring to change the direction.

The girls normally do okay rallying with guys when it's doubles and not singles (i.e. when the guys' superior movement is mostly taken out of the equation, and when there are less changes of direction. You pretty much know you only have to cover the cc). Particularly someone who hits as well as Petra on both wings can normally keep rallying without missing since they aren't being jerked around the court. However the area where Petra struggled was actually the ROS. Petra definitely struggled to return Dimitrov's serve- but that's normal for the girls. Tsvetana couldn't return Berdych's serve at all. But at the critical moment Petra also missed a few returns on Tsvetana's serve. Actually Berdych didn't return all that well himself and was beaten several times by Tsvetana's serve up the T. Petra's serve was also probably not as effective as she would have liked, and she missed some volleys I wouldn't have expected her to miss.

In the end, Berdych, surprisingly, doublefaulted serving to Tsvetana. Berdych's serve had been strong and had been giving huge problems to the Bulgarians the whole match but I guess that's what happens when you're down MP. It was also a consequence of losing a 9-6 lead in the super tb (and being 10-9 down).

Nonetheless she's hitting the ball fine with this racquet. Whether it is a real change or a paintjob, it doesn't seem to be affecting her.

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
Kvitova sets up Czech win
World number two off to a winning start in Perth

Last Updated: January 2, 2012 3:50pm
http://img.skysports.com/12/01/660x350/petrakvitova_2697465.jpg

Petra Kvitova looked in good form as she helped Czech Republic to victory in their opening Hopman Cup match against Bulgaria.

The Wimbledon champion saw off Tsvetana Pironkova 6-4 6-2 in 75 minutes before teaming up with Tomas Berdych in the mixed doubles.

Kvitova admitted the pressure of consistently performing at the highest level is difficult to deal with now she is ranked second in the world.

"Every season is different," she said. "One year ago I was 34, now I am two at the start of the season and everyone is seeing me on the court for the first time, and it's not always easy to play on the court.

Mmmhhh.

As far as being #2, and what Petra described; I'm not sure if it's actually pressure (at least at this stage)? But I'm sure it's different. And what's "not always easy to play on the court (or is that a poor translation)?" What!? Fans coming out to see me for the first time?

Shoot! That would actually help me play, cause I wouldn't want to disappoint people. Yeah. That would get me pumped up for most matches, and not worry about my rankings, etc.

I'm sure Petra sees it with bemusement (all the new attention), when she's off the court, and it brings up her competitive fire, when she's on the court.

It should be an interesting year, journey, revelations and development.

I think what she's trying to say is that when you're No.2 instead of No.1 there's a lot stronger spotlight on you and the expectations are much higher. People automatically expect you to play fabulously every time because you're the world's No.2 player. But Petra knows the reality is some days you just don't have it, and in her case, sometimes her health effects her results. So, she considers her results far from automatic. But try telling that to the media or the fans. Based on her comments, you also get the feeling she is definitely noticing the higher interest level in her compared to the past when she was flying under the radar. That's why she feels many people are seeing her for the first time. You have to remember to look at her rise from the player's perspective not the casual TV viewing fan's. She's a smart girl. She realizes the best thing she can do is just focus on her game until the rest calms down or she becomes adjusted to it.

:worship: Petra will conquer all. Hail Queen Petra. :worship:

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:11 PM
No, no, no. It doesn't SAY anything. She's gesturing to the hardware. It says everything for her.

I don't know. To me it says, "Watch out biatches. I've got lots of trophies and lots of balls. Yo azz is mine." :lol:

mac47
Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:14 PM
She did pretty well in the cc exchanges but I wouldn't quite put it that way. She wasn't winning that exchange. Dimitrov was able to pass Berdych dtl because he was feeling comfortable with Petra's cc and felt he could change the direction when he wanted.

Yeah, that's true. Petra wasn't as able to change direction with her groundstrokes because Dimitrov's were coming hard. But as you say, that's normal for girls in mixed.

Berdych was really the goat of this match (goat, not GOAT). The Czechs should have won, up two (or was it 3) MPs. He just doesn't seem to have much of a natural feel for doubles.

AfroIYH
Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM
Once again if anyone's interested in her H2H against Mattek-Sands. Kvitova hasn't had too much trouble with her.
http://www.wtatennis.com/headtohead/petra-kvitova_2255881_13403/0,,12781~13403~5667,00.html

Petronius
Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:50 PM
She did pretty well in the cc exchanges but I wouldn't quite put it that way. She wasn't winning that exchange. Dimitrov was able to pass Berdych dtl because he was feeling comfortable with Petra's cc and felt he could change the direction when he wanted. It's more like, every time they rallied cc Petra hung in there and hit well, but eventually Dimitrov got a ball he could pass Berdych with. Petra on the other hand was only able to continue to hit it cc without daring to change the direction.

The girls normally do okay rallying with guys when it's doubles and not singles (i.e. when the guys' superior movement is mostly taken out of the equation, and when there are less changes of direction. You pretty much know you only have to cover the cc). Particularly someone who hits as well as Petra on both wings can normally keep rallying without missing since they aren't being jerked around the court. However the area where Petra struggled was actually the ROS. Petra definitely struggled to return Dimitrov's serve- but that's normal for the girls. Tsvetana couldn't return Berdych's serve at all. But at the critical moment Petra also missed a few returns on Tsvetana's serve. Actually Berdych didn't return all that well himself and was beaten several times by Tsvetana's serve up the T. Petra's serve was also probably not as effective as she would have liked, and she missed some volleys I wouldn't have expected her to miss.

In the end, Berdych, surprisingly, doublefaulted serving to Tsvetana. Berdych's serve had been strong and had been giving huge problems to the Bulgarians the whole match but I guess that's what happens when you're down MP. It was also a consequence of losing a 9-6 lead in the super tb (and being 10-9 down).

Nonetheless she's hitting the ball fine with this racquet. Whether it is a real change or a paintjob, it doesn't seem to be affecting her.

You're stating the obvious Howard and I have no doubt that Dimitrov would knock Petra off the court, if they played a singles match. Still, when Petra is thirty she'll be probably worth +50 million dollars, while the Bulgarian will be lucky to reach one tenth of this amount. That's what makes tennis such a unique and attractive profession for women.

I expect them to win at least one doubles match, as Petra is much better than Lucie Šafářová, with whom Tomas played in the past.

paulmara
Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
SI_BTBaseline Beyond The Baseline
And so it begins. Per the statmachine that is @Kfish_WTA, if Kvitova wins the title in Sydney next week she'll climb to No. 1.

bobbychin Bobby Chintapalli
Think @hopmancup website has three Kvitova transcripts. She's asked about Woz at least six times. Poor Kvitova. Poor Woz.
http://twitter.com/#!/bobbychin

Question to Kvitova: "Have you got Caroline Woziacki in your sights next year?"
Question to Kvitova: "Petra, are you looking forward to playing against Caroline?"
Question to Kvitova: "Over the next couple of weeks there will be a lot of talk about you and Caroline and number one."
Question to Kvitova (as if the answer matters): "Petra, you don’t seem to like talking about the battle between yourself and Caroline?"
http://hopmancup.com/content.php?idphc=89

plokploky
Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:49 PM
Once again if anyone's interested in her H2H against Mattek-Sands. Kvitova hasn't had too much trouble with her.
http://www.wtatennis.com/headtohead/petra-kvitova_2255881_13403/0,,12781~13403~5667,00.html

I'm hoping this coming match will a scoreline much like the one in Paris. That would bring so much joy and strike fear into woz.
Also Beth won't have time to choke this match as it will be over so quickly:devil:

bruce goose
Jan 4th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Am wondering if Petra was pulled to HC because of patriotism...or just preferred to start the tennis year in a somewhat less demanding format

Spring Pools
Jan 4th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Am wondering if Petra was pulled to HC because of patriotism...or just preferred to start the tennis year in a somewhat less demanding format

Well at Hopman Cup, you are guaranteed 3 singles matches and three doubles matches, which is nice because it means that you will get at least SOME practice.
Maybe she wants the diamond balls?

AfroIYH
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Well at Hopman Cup, you are guaranteed 3 singles matches and three doubles matches, which is nice because it means that you will get at least SOME practice.
Maybe she wants the diamond balls?

I'm sure Coetze would want Kvitova to play some more doubles so she's not so lost at the net, arguably one of her bigger flaws last season.

everythingtaboo
Jan 4th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I'm off to go see Petra again tonight vs USA. Will be tweeting regularly too like I did Monday. So if you want to to follow here is the link to my twitter:

www.twitter.com/everythingtaboo

AfroIYH
Jan 4th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I watched all four, and countless times when came to the net there was no follow up when coming to the net.

Excelscior
Jan 4th, 2012, 08:29 AM
@AfroIYH

Huh?

Lost at the net (and one of her biggest flaws last season)?

Did you watch Wimbledon, Linz, The YEC and Fed Cup?

Mmmhhh. I'm confused.

Petra always had nice net play ability. She just didn't use it as much as he could (except for grass and certain matches). But you certainly couldn't complain about her frequency and execution at Linz, the YEC and Fed Cup, could you? She did the job.

The only thing she needs to do technique wise is close out the net sooner sometimes (besides increasing the frequency, like she did at the matches mentioned).

Now if your talking about the easy sitters she frequently misses off of her lefty slice serve out wide, that's not going to help her playing doubles. When that occurs she has to cover a lot more court many times, to get to the net (or beat the opponent to the spot of where she's hitting to). It unfolds more slowly and in front of you with more pressure.

Obviously in doubles, neither she or her opponent is going to have to run that much/cover as much ground and have as much time as in a singles match.

Excelscior
Jan 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM
What do you mean, there was no follow up?

What are you saying happened?

Petra went to the net 15-30 times a match in those tournaments, and usually won 60-80% of the points on her approaches.

What are you talking about?

AfroIYH
Jan 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Well she was 5/9 against Sharapova in the final at Wimbledon. (Netplay is the worst stat to look up), but 60% is low if thats your estimation she should be making 70% bare minimum. I remember many times during those tournaments where if the volley wasn't good enough the passing shot would always fly by her.

Excelscior
Jan 4th, 2012, 11:35 AM
OH. OK.

So your judging one match from Wimbledon with Sharapova?

What about the other matches there?

From what I remember, Petra won about 70-80% of her net approaches in her other Wimby matches.

Plus, you do know her finals match at Wimby was completely different than her previous 6 matches. She went to net the least in the finals?

Secondly, that's Sharapova back there whizzing shots by you, not Pironkava. That makes a load of difference.

3rdly, Petra played a great baseline game that match. We all know she didn't go the net much. So I find it funny you're quoting net stats from that match. That's odd.

Lastly, even that 5/9 stat you mentioned from the Sharapova match, included those 3 easy sitters she missed in the 2nd set (remember); otherwise those numbers would of been 8/9. But who cares; she won that game from the baseline anyway.

As far as your net play percentage/success rate proclamations, it varies; depending on the match, the frequency of the approaches and the quality of who you're playing against (not just when, or what shot you follow behind). That's well known.

Sometimes 50% is effective, if it gives you 15 different/more points that you're opposition doesn't have and creates errors and uncertainty from them.

It all depends on the distribution (i.e. when the unsuccessful attempts don't hurt, but the successful do help you). But Petra in all those tournaments I mentioned avg'd about 70% in her net points through out all her matches anyway; just so you know.

Look it up.

I'm not busting your chops Afro. You seem kool. I'm Just clarifying. Remember what you said:

I'm sure Coetze would want Kvitova to play some more doubles so she's not so lost at the net, arguably one of her bigger flaws last season.

I'm sure anyone here that watches Petra on a regular basis, would disagree with your characterization of "so lost at the net" and "one of her bigger flaws last season".

As I pointed out, her net issues, regarding her lefty serve out wide (missing the easy sitters), which you didn't mention, doesn't really apply to doubles in the first place; cause of both players having a partner on the court. So it can't be that.

She can close out her volley's closer to the net sometimes, but that certainly doesn't make her "lost at the net" and "one of her bigger flaws", I think (especially after Linz, YEC and Fed Cup).

Hey! Most importantly, she won today. Lol

Sorry for the long post.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 4th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Well, I believe she played HC also because she wants to get herself practise with Tomas earlier for the Olympics.:oh:

paulmara
Jan 4th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Petra : I have to say that for the first time I felt almost healthy … I was playing better in Prostějov than in Perth.
http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/stav-bolave-achilovky-petry-kvitove-se-lepsi--999127

Excelscior
Jan 4th, 2012, 06:23 PM
@Paulmara

What does this mean?

She's not in shape (or the humidity is effecting her asthma to some degree)?

Does this mean she's on the right track now (or regardless of what happens at Hopman she'll do well at Sydney and Melbourne)?

Excelscior
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Kvitova in line for world No.1 ranking
Darren Walton
January 4, 2012 - 2:39PM

AAP

She's ever so shy about it, but newly-crowned world player of the year Petra Kvitova is nine days away from seizing the top ranking in women's tennis.

WTA number crunchers on Wednesday said the Czech will displace Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki as world No.1 if she wins next week's Apia Sydney International.

In an intriguing appetiser, Kvitova and Wozniacki will clash on Friday at the Hopman Cup in Perth, both 21-year-olds no doubt privately hoping to strike a psychological blow ahead of this month's Australian Open.

Kvitova, though, modestly maintains she's not stalking Wozniacki's top ranking, but merely intent on adding to her deadly arsenal that last year yielded her six titles, including Wimbledon and the season-ending championship.

"When I'm talking to my coaches, for example, we are not talking about the number next to my name," Kvitova told AAP on Wednesday.

"We are working on what we want to improve in my game and this is, for us, the goal. Then we can see the results.

"Everybody asks me if it's my goal to be No.1. It would be nice, of course, but it's not in my head like this."

In most people's heads, though, Kvitova is already the unofficial No.1.

While Wozniacki has failed to validate her 65-week stint atop the rankings with a grand slam crown, Kvitova not only won the greatest individual prize in tennis in 2011 but also went undefeated in helping the Czech Republic to Fed Cup glory.

In a stunning season, the hard-hitting left-hander won 13 of 16 matches against top-eight rivals and also conquered reigning Australian Open champion Kim Clijsters in the Paris Open final.

Kvitova won titles on every surface - indoors and out.

Wozniacki also landed six titles in 2011, but her 5-4 record against the game's elite was not in Kvitova's ballpark.

In addition to trouncing Wozniacki 6-4 6-2 at the tour championships in Turkey, Kvitova dominated world No.3 Victoria Azarenka (3-0) Maria Sharapova (2-0), Samantha Stosur (2-0) and Agnieszka Radwanksa (2-0).

World No.5 Li Na (1-1) and the seventh-ranked Vera Zvonareva (2-2) were the only top-eight players to defeat Kvitova, who was last week honoured as the ITF's official player of the year.

With nine of the world's top 10 players confirmed for the Apia Sydney International, the Open lead-up event already boasts its strongest-ever draw.

But organisers still have two wildcards to issue and are hoping Sharapova, Clijsters or Serena Williams may snap them up.

So, too, is Kvitova.

"It would be nice for the tournament if they will play, but they have to do what's best for them to prepare for the Aussie Open," she said.

Williams' is the only big scalp Kvitova is yet to claim, having lost to the 13-times grand slam champion in the 2010 Wimbledon semi-finals when ranked 62nd and in the Australian Open two years ago as a teenager.

Regardless of whether she's world No.1 entering the season's opening slam starting on January 16, Kvitova admits her world has changed since arriving at Melbourne Park ranked 32nd last year.

"I don't know if it's pressure, but it's different," she said.

"I mean, this is the first time that I am in this position and I will be the No.2 seed in the Aussie Open and maybe I will be one of the favourites, but I am not thinking like this.

"I just want to play every match for 100 per cent and improve in everything.

"But it will be different this season for sure."

© 2012 AAP

paulmara
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I´m just a messenger.
In Prostějov she played 3 matches in 3 days plus doubles, because Cetkovska was seriously injured. She was not ready for 3 hours match with Hradecká (plus doubles). Her father (and probably whole family) was watching so it was more prestige for her than first round match with Arvidsson in Bejing (5th Grandslam). Because there were more social events she had less time for training. She said „ Hopman cup is not so important“ But when they are in they want to win it. She was playing one traning match with Aussie junior Rhys Johnson. Her form is not optimal yet.

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/hopman-cup-mam-rad-usmiva-se-trener-kvitove-kotyza--997333

Petra: „Score looks good, but I didn´t feel best. I believe on Friday. I will feel good, finally. And I will show tennis.
But I´m glad I´m winning even though I don´t feel well on the court. When you are on roll and win, anybody can do that."

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/berdych-je-s-uvodem-sezony-spokojeny-kvitova-citi-rezervy--999141

Excelscior
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Hopman Cup: Top two women ready to rumble

AFP | Jan 4, 2012, 10.51PM IST

PERTH: The scene is set for an early season blockbuster, after world number one Caroline Wozniacki and her rival Petra Kvitova both notched singles wins at the Hopman Cup on Wednesday.

The top two players in women's tennis, drawn to face each other on Friday, both remained unbeaten in singles at the mixed teams tournament, but won in contrasting fashion.

World number one Wozniacki battled past the 46th-ranked Tsvetana Pironkova in three sets and more than two hours on the court, while her nearest rival in the rankings breezed past American Bethanie Mattek-Sands.

Wozniacki, who made a host of unforced errors and hit very few winners, survived a tight three-setter against her Bulgarian rival, winning 7-5, 4-6, 6-2, while Kvitova's powered past the 55th-ranked Mattek-Sands, 6-2, 6-1.

Both players won their initial outings here in straight sets, the Dane beating Mattek-Sands just four hours after flying into Perth, while last year's Wimbledon champion was too good for Pironkova.

Kvitova, who trails Wozniacki by 115 points in the rankings and is poised to claim the number one spot within weeks, conceded there would be great interest in the match, but warned against reading too much into the result.

"It will be a nice match for the people," she said. "It is a good test, but it is still preparation at the beginning of the season."

Wozniacki said she was looking forward to Friday's match.

"She is a good player and hits the ball hard," she said.

Wozniacki played down her error-riddled performance in the singles as Denmark lost 2-1 to Bulgaria.

The 21-year-old Dane, who described Pironkova as a tricky opponent, said she got the result she wanted and added that she was confident of improving dramatically ahead of the Australian Open.

"I always think I am improving, but the first couple of matches of the season are always a bit tough and you need to find your feet out there.

"As I keep playing more matches I will improve and start playing better."

Kvitova demolished Mattek-Sands in just 67 minutes, rounding it up with a sizzling forehand winner on match point.

Ominously, the 21-year-old said she was disappointed with her form against the American.

"I am happy that I won," Kvitova said. "Still, I have a lot of space for improvement, because I didn't feel very comfortable on the court."

Wozniacki's win gave Denmark the lead in the Group A tie, but Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov squared the ledger with a straight sets win over Frederik Nielsen, 7-6 (7/5), 6-2.

The Bulgarians then came from a set down to win the deciding mixed doubles in a match tiebreak, 3-6, 6-4, 10-1, and keep their Hopman Cup hopes alive.

After Kvitova's win, world number seven Tomas Berydch secured the tie for the Czech Republic against the United States with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Mardy Fish.

The Czechs completed a clean sweep when they also won the mixed doubles.

The Czechs lead Group A after winning their first two ties. They will advance to Saturday's final if they beat Denmark on Friday, while the USA, the defending champions, are out of contention after successive defeats.

Excelscior
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I´m just a messenger.
In Prostějov she played 3 matches in 3 days plus doubles, because Cetkovska was seriously injured. She was not ready for 3 hours match with Hradecká (plus doubles). Her father (and probably whole family) was watching so it was more prestige for her than first round match with Arvidsson in Bejing (5th Grandslam). Because there were more social events she had less time for training. She said „ Hopman cup is not so important“ But when they are in they want to win it. She was playing one traning match with Aussie junior Rhys Johnson. Her form is not optimal yet.

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/hopman-cup-mam-rad-usmiva-se-trener-kvitove-kotyza--997333

Petra: „Score looks good, but I didn´t feel best. I believe on Friday. I will feel good, finally. And I will show tennis.
But I´m glad I´m winning even though I don´t feel well on the court. When you are on roll and win, anybody can do that."

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/berdych-je-s-uvodem-sezony-spokojeny-kvitova-citi-rezervy--999141

Thanks Paulmara. Good Work/info.

I have a question. Maybe it's lost in the translation (but just to make sure), when Petra says "feel good" or "I don't feel well on the court"; she's not talking about her health per se, she's talking about her Tennis, fitness and/or satisfaction.

Right?

It's about her tennis or her matches she's saying?

Sasja
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Looking forward to Friday's match. I think I might even be able to watch this one :oh: :D

paulmara
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Her health is better than few days ago. (breathing will still be problem)
„feel good" or "I don't feel well on the court" is about tennis

Vikapower
Jan 5th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I know I'm probably late on this but I'd like to say at first happy new year to all Petra fans :) -- :lol: I'd have loved to catch a piece of Hopman Cup but at the time this passes in the Caribbean (+12 GMT) makes it really impossible to follow and I need sleep for until the struggles of the Ozzie open. :lol: I'll just content myself with Youtube.

Anyways the match against Pironkova seemed pretty interesting especially from their last match up on grass... good dismantlement by Petra some good reads indicates she didn't play that great but still nice easy score-line...

I see she plays Caroline on Friday -- probably will be a good match, finally the issues with Asthma I read here and there, I hope she 's alright but seems to accommodate with it well it seems.

bruce goose
Jan 5th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Petra's potential later-rounds foe just hurt one of her feet again...no glass on the court,last time I heard;);we'll see how much that tilts things in Petra's favor should the two of them meet at the AO

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 5th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Petra's potential later-rounds foe just hurt one of her feet again...no glass on the court,last time I heard;);we'll see how much that tilts things in Petra's favor should the two of them meet at the AO

Some of those ankle injuries can take a long time to heal properly. If you come back too early you just re-aggravate the whole thing again. I've seen it happen to friends. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Serena skips the AO to make sure she's 100% for the long haul. I think Petra's road to her next GS just got a little easier. ;)

:worship: Go Petra Go!!!! :worship: Petra do toho!!! :worship:

PS: Good lord that match yesterday against Mattek-Sands sucked. I know it's early in the season but wow that one was sloppy. Ughhh. Not pretty at all. I'm hoping for better this Friday when Caro gets her beatdown.

everythingtaboo
Jan 5th, 2012, 12:19 PM
PS: Good lord that match yesterday against Mattek-Sands sucked. I know it's early in the season but wow that one was sloppy. Ughhh. Not pretty at all. I'm hoping for better this Friday when Caro gets her beatdown.

Her match against Pironkova on Monday was worse. So... progress I guess. :shrug:

AfroIYH
Jan 5th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Some of those ankle injuries can take a long time to heal properly. If you come back too early you just re-aggravate the whole thing again. I've seen it happen to friends. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Serena skips the AO to make sure she's 100% for the long haul. I think Petra's road to her next GS just got a little easier. ;)

Yeah I feel this is what happened with Sharapova, she came back to early for the Year-end Championships and re-aggravated the injury she picked up in Tokyo. I think though Kvitova's game next should be less sloppy come Sydney next week.

TimeyWimey
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:56 PM

personally, I think the world of WTA this year will be even more chaotic than 2011, but I wish Petra could stay in top, safe and sound

bruce goose
Jan 6th, 2012, 05:30 AM

PS: Good lord that match yesterday against Mattek-Sands sucked. I know it's early in the season but wow that one was sloppy. Ughhh. Not pretty at all. I'm hoping for better this Friday when Caro gets her beatdown.Well,now SW has a rock-solid excuse to avoid the sport that she doesn't enjoy(by her own words),huh?Will be interested in Petra's match against her Danish opponent...just w/o the hateful partisanship you carry;)

I picture BMS as a former player who tries to launch an acting career by appearing on cheesy programs such as Love Boat:The New Cruise Millenium...where she'd play a pathetically-simple role like,perhaps,the ex-wild child WTA'er who has a tattoo on her back of a guy picking a booger.....Yeah,would've been disappointing if Petra had lost THAT one

mac47
Jan 6th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Very chivalrous of you to support both Woz and Petra, Bruce.

I would too, but not on TF. Can't stand her four or five most prominent and obnoxious tards.

AfroIYH
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Petra's now won 21 indoor matches in a row, Clijsters, Azarenka, Wozniacki, have all fallen to her greatness.

mac47
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:49 AM
She actually lost an indoor match to Hradecka in the Czech club competition in December, so the streak is only for the WTA anyway.

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:51 AM
24 indoor matches in a row, if these Hopman ones count?

AfroIYH
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:52 AM
She was 18-0 on Indoors last year, add the 3 wins in her group today.

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:53 AM
That Czech match don't count for nuts, except in The Czech Republic.

Vikapower
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Can somebody post the final statistics of the match if possible, please, would really want to have a look...

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:54 AM
She ended the year on a 21 match win streak, plus the 3 at Hopman, if their counted.
Look it up!

AfroIYH
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I'm only counting her matches on tour, not the Czech only matches.

AfroIYH
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Yeah just looked on the ITF, last total I read was 18-0 to finish out the season, it is 24 though.

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM
That's what I'm counting.

Your wrong. Last year she had a 21 match indoor win streak. Look it up!

This year at Hopman she won 3 in a row.

Why is that so hard to understand and know?

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2012, 08:00 AM
OK. No probs.

AfroIYH
Jan 6th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I probably caught the 18-0 before the Azarenka Year-end match.

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Yeah. Cause Azarenka would of made it 19 in a row, then the two Fed Cup wins, made it 21 in a row.

AfroIYH
Jan 6th, 2012, 09:25 AM
With Berdych losing all but 4 games, the final is all but decided. To repeat what I posted earlier, here's the schedule start times for the final tomorrow.
Czech vs. France.

paulmara
Jan 6th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Petra : I lost my legs in the second set. Then I got angry. That´s personal quality I get from my mother. It was 3:0 . There were new balls I missed it few times. And when it was 0:40 I really got angry again and I hit it at full throttle. My service helped me. I started serving well.

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/zdrave-jsem-se-nastvala-to-pomohlo-usmiva-se-kvitova--999952

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/cesti-teniste-jsou-ve-finale-hopman-cupu-po-18-letech--999871

Sasja
Jan 6th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Petra : I lost my legs in the second set. Then I get angry. That´s personal quality I get from my mother. It was 3:0 . There were new balls I missed it few times. And when it was 0:40 I really get angry again and I hit it at full throttle. My service helped me. I started serving well.

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/zdrave-jsem-se-nastvala-to-pomohlo-usmiva-se-kvitova--999952

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/cesti-teniste-jsou-ve-finale-hopman-cupu-po-18-letech--999871

:lol:

I'd say she should get angry more often :drool: :dog:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM
:rocker2: Hopefully she can win Hopman Cup but Bartoli is a huge threat.

HowardH
Jan 6th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Very pleased she beat Wozniacki.

Yes I agree. Bartoli is quite underrated in general. She reminded people this week that when she plays and serves well she is quite a handful for anyone. Petra will need to serve and hit well herself. But Petra should have the edge.

TimeyWimey
Jan 6th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Very pleased she beat Wozniacki.

Yes I agree. Bartoli is quite underrated in general. She reminded people this week that when she plays and serves well she is quite a handful for anyone. Petra will need to serve and hit well herself. But Petra should have the edge.

Petra has a bye in Sydney, so she can try everything she can to win the Hopman Cup

AfroIYH
Jan 6th, 2012, 03:30 PM
http://www.wtatennis.com/headtohead/marion-bartoli_2255881_1007/0,,12781~1007~13403,00.html
Not much to take from their H2H other than it'll be 3 setter.

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Stayed up late for this one. Glad I wasn't dissapointed. Lol

Despite Petra's terrible serving (lots of double faults, low 1st serve %-though winning 89% of them she actually got in by midway through the 1st set), it was clear Wozniaki realized she would of got blown off the court rather quickly if she didn't play aggressive, serve well, ROS well, hit more cleanly & move forward, & she did. Woz even volleyed. About 17 winners in this match from Woz. Of course Petra had 40+ . But good For Woz. Bravo. The jury's still out whether Caro will show us this on a regular basis, or till she absolutely has to, like 2night? But so far so good at least with this match.

As far as Petra, I guess it's good she got three competitive sets in to loosen her up (Petra's a notorious slow starter without previous match play, who usually gets better the deeper she goes in tournaments). Nonetheless this match should of been over in two tidy sets. But it's too late to bicker. GOAT serving though, when she was down 0-40 on serve at 3-2 in the third set & came back fiercely to hold; reminding Woz who's really boss, along with some brilliant shot making at other times. Petra had some decent drop shots and volleys as well. But if she would of came to the net more, she would of ended some of her points (she both won & lost) more quickly and cleanly. But it's early and I guess she was focusing on her ground strokes?

Petra seemed quite comfortable, confident & relaxed in her post match interview. Some here say she was injured & was suffering some athsma in the humid non air conditioned Burswood dome. So I guess she had a right to feel that way, if she was? Lol. I say good! She'll need to win the US open in NY's possible humidity or overcome other adversity through out the season.

I wonder what's her feelings about 2morrow & Bartoli (if the Czech Republic advances of course)? Will she treat that match as the appetizer & 2night was the meal and rest up, or the contrary and maybe seek some Eastborne Revenge (or get killed after the Caro match)?

We'll see?

TimeyWimey
Jan 6th, 2012, 05:54 PM
As far as Petra, I guess it's good she got three competitive sets in to loosen her up (Petra's a notorious slow starter without previous match play, who usually gets better the deeper she goes in tournaments). Nonetheless this match should of been over in two tidy sets. But it's too late to bicker. GOAT serving though, when she was down 0-40 on serve at 3-2 in the third set & came back fiercely to hold; reminding Woz who's really boss, along with some brilliant shot making at other times. Petra had some decent drop shots and volleys as well. But if she would of came to the net more, she would of ended some of her points (she both won & lost) more quickly and cleanly. But it's early and I guess she was focusing on her ground strokes?

true, but it could be very dangerous next week since she's a bye and her first opponent could be a top 16 player, and of course, it will be played outdoor, her first since Beijing last October!

hopefully she can get a night session which somehow can calm her down a bit if things are not turning out as expected (although I would say not much as when she plays indoor)

also agree on the net, as far as I can remember, stepping in makes her game much easier, most of the time

paulmara
Jan 6th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Petra : I´m sniffing and coughing … first match was much worse for breathing … But the roof is here, I like playing indoors and
I´m not planning to make holes in it.

http://sport.idnes.cz/diky-mami-vzkazala-kvitova-po-vyhre-nad-jednickou-wozniackou-ptv-/tenis.aspx?c=A120106_114501_tenis_vis

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2012, 07:01 PM
true, but it could be very dangerous next week since she's a bye and her first opponent could be a top 16 player, and of course, it will be played outdoor, her first since Beijing last October!

hopefully she can get a night session which somehow can calm her down a bit if things are not turning out as expected (although I would say not much as when she plays indoor)

also agree on the net, as far as I can remember, stepping in makes her game much easier, most of the time

Interesting points.

She'll be fine in Sydney (unless she's tired or tanks as a result of it), cause she would of already had match play from Hopman.

I'm not worried about the outdoors in the least bit (unless it's terribly windy).

She should play well (unless satisfied with Hopman & coasting for AO), even with a loaded draw.

We'll see?

Corswandt
Jan 7th, 2012, 12:43 AM
I understand the reasoning behind entering the Hopton Cup - 3 guaranteed matches when entering an actual WTA event might mean playing a single match if things went wrong - but used to think that those 3 matches would be enough. However now I actually believe getting to play a fourth match would be useful to diagnose and hopefully sort out some of the problems seen in the match vs Woz before going to Sydney (or determine if she is in condition to play Sydney at all or not), where chances are she'll have to face a top 20 opponent right off the bat on Tuesday.

Plus the circumstances of the Woz match were priceless - Woz trying to make a statement match and Petra playing at her lackadaisical worst and still coming out on top.

As for the quest for #1, for which I couldn't care less: even if Petra had entered Brisbane, she'd have to win the title to make it je crois, and I doubt being 175 pts from #1 was on anyone's mind when Petra agreed to play the Hopton Cup. Trying to win Sydney - 8 matches before the AO is way too much. Yet she may not get such a good opportunity again, particularly as at the AO the top 4 seeds will be playing Russian roulette with 3 blanks and a live cartridge (Serena), and I doubt Woz will be the one to get her head blown off.

Excelscior
Jan 7th, 2012, 01:30 AM
@Corswandt

Good Viewpoints & insight.

It's funny, as crazy & as jam packed as it sounds, if Petra and her body are up to it, Hopan to Sydney to AO are doable.

Petra gets a bye into Sydney, so she'd only have to play 4 matches. And even if she wins (barring bad weather), she'd still have 3-4 days to rest before the start of the AO, while having days off between Matches.

Remember when she won Wimbledon, she played Eastbourne right up to that Sun, cause of bad weather and nonetheless coasted.

If Petra's tired-Worst case scenario (if they're smart in this instance) she tanks, coast or drops out of Sydney with her form already established.

Meelis
Jan 7th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Sydney draw:

(1)Wozniacki v BYE
Cibulkova v Peng
Pavlyuchenkova v Petkovic
Q v (7)Radwanska

(3)Azarenka v Q
Jankovic v Goerges
(wc)Dokic v (wc)Holland
Q v (8)Bartoli

(6)Zvonareva v Kuznetsova
Safarova v Ivanovic
Pennetta v Q
Q v (4)Li

(5)Stosur v Schiavone
Vinci v Hantuchova
Lisicki v Q
(2)Kvitova v BYE

Barktra
Jan 7th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Petra has got the hardest section out of the top 4 in Sydney :eek:

TimeyWimey
Jan 7th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Petra has got the hardest section out of the top 4 in Sydney :eek:

really?! I can not see anyone in this quarter as a real threat to Petra at this moment

Barktra
Jan 7th, 2012, 01:59 AM
really?! I can not see anyone in this quarter as a real threat to Petra at this moment

Yea they arent, but the other 3 sections are a lot more easier IMO

TimeyWimey
Jan 7th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Yea they arent, but the other 3 sections are a lot more easier IMO

:lol::lol: now we know how boring this field really is

Corswandt
Jan 7th, 2012, 02:09 AM
:lol::lol: now we know how boring this field really is

It's the same sort of field we get at the dreaded "Asian swing" - no multiple GS winners save for Kuznetsova. Fortunately we won't have to deal with the part-timers for much longer.

Apoleb
Jan 7th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Yet she may not get such a good opportunity again, particularly as at the AO the top 4 seeds will be playing Russian roulette with 3 blanks and a live cartridge (Serena), and I doubt Woz will be the one to get her head blown off.

Awesome. :lol:

But I actually think the earlier she meets Serena the more likely she will beat her. Serena becomes a different player when the trophy is in site, but maybe post-comeback is different.

Or I'm being hopelessly deluded in thinking she has a chance, but I think she does. I think she needs just 2 matches in Sydney cause the form is there.

AfroIYH
Jan 7th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I don't think Petra will get a chance to play Serena on tour again, Serena is just slowly becoming less relevant, she's where Venus was in 2008.

AfroIYH
Jan 7th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Game, Czech, Championship.

Excelscior
Jan 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Petra is now a Hopman champion, along with Tomas.

Excelscior
Jan 7th, 2012, 11:24 AM
It's funny Petra said/admitted that she played "much better today against Marion" at the Hopman award presentation.

I know there was a lot of discussion yesterday about Petra playing poorly and Wozniaki playing the match of her life against Petra, and still losing. We'll she addressed it. Lol

When the TV guy told her how well she played against Caroline after they won, Petra let him know how she really felt.

Not sure if he was blowing smoke up Petra's tennis skirt, but tournament director, Paul McManee told Petra, that her stretch with Marion, after 4-5 first set, was some of the best tennis he ever seen at the Hopman. And you know he's been there all 24 years. lol

Maybe he was serious/meant it? Cause with the other 3 players, he congratulated them on what they did in their games, but he did not compare them to any past years, players or tournaments, like he did Petra.

I think we get spoiled by Petra's play all to often and forget how people react to her, when they really get to see her play for the first time (as we once did/or still do).

Holdsworth
Jan 7th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Congrats, Petra !! :cheer: The first title in the season )

everythingtaboo
Jan 7th, 2012, 11:53 AM
:bigclap: Well done Petra & Tomas! Here's hoping this is the start of a great year for both.

chirag
Jan 7th, 2012, 12:38 PM
her team won the hopman cup :worship:

Sasja
Jan 7th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Congrats Petra and Tomas :D

Nice start of the season. I think it was a good move for her to play her even though she didn't defend her Brisbane title. Lots of pressure on her now with her GS title, YEC title and really chasing down Caro in the rankings. Everyone expecting big things from her. So I guess she must have been a bit nervous playing her 1st match again. And playing with Tomas here was a bit more relaxed probably, but still 3 good matches and wins. She didn't always played her best. But what's good to see is when it's not going too well (losing a bit of concentration), she can get angry and really raise her level again (the GOAT-mode). And then she is unstoppable for most of her opponents. A quality that only the top players have.

Hopefully she can build on this and do well in Sydney and be at her best in Melbourne :cheer:

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM

I think TB choking was a bigger threat to their chances. :lol:

Great job Petra (and Tomas)!!! :bounce:

Petra in 2012: 1 tournament, 1 victory! And, no matches lost. It's a great start. :)

She's really looking solid mentally, physically, tactically and performance wise. The rest of the field should be very worried. She's heading into the season in great form and has picked up right where she left off after the YEC. We couldn't ask for anything more!!!

:worship: Petra will dominate in 2012 :worship: Hail Queen Petra :worship:

Bartoli postmatch photo (below)

mdx
Jan 7th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Petra's best performance in 2012 so far. It was a delight to watch it.

But this was indoors and I'm really curious how the courts in Sydney and AO are going to suit her. I really hope she will adjust fine and her form will keep on ascending and we'll see some more matches like this one from her in coming weeks.

mac47
Jan 7th, 2012, 02:29 PM
FWIW, mdx, I believe that the indoors doesn't actually make that much difference for her. The Russians "petra-proofed" their indoor court shamelessly, and still got spanked. Her game works outdoors, we already know that from watching her at Madrid and Wimby. It's just a last straw that certain Carotards are clinging to, hoping against hope that Petra is a 2 surface/venue pony (indoor, grass) or at least that there is some surface where she sucks. This mythology will be exploded eventually, and everyone will have to bow down.

In AO, I just hope Petra doesn't draw Kanepi, who is going to be top 10 by the end of the year. They're two of my faves, and I would love to see them meet in the final.

mdx
Jan 7th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I was surprised that on many betting sites Kanepi is like 6th/7th favorite for AO, even before Wozniacki, Sharapova, Li etc.

I myself haven't seen her play lately but I plan to watch Brisbane final tonight on Eurosport. I want to see for myself why she is being praised so much even though I do not consider Hantuchova a very difficult oponnent for any top 10 player lately.

BTW: Petra is top favorite for AO on all betting sites I've checked. Nothing unexpectable but still nice indication of how many experts all around the world currently see the real potential of players on the WTA tour. On most of the betting sites she is even expected to win AO with twice the probability then any other player with the exception of Serena. I hope they are right! :-)

Vikapower
Jan 7th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Congrats, -- knowing Petra's record in F it was evident that she was going to transcend herself -- that's 8-2 now unofficially and this is really very impressive for a 21 year old. It's really a shame I missed that but the match seemed to have went really quick... Now the regular tour, impatient and can't wait for Sydney...

Petronius
Jan 7th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I'm a big-time Petra fan, but even I can't pick her to win this. France will take the final tie here, and Petra will have a stinky match.She's in very poor form and her best bet against Bartoli is always to exploit her reach, which requires a working serve. It was not in working orders against Caro.

Hey Mac, just for fun revisiting your GM post from yesterday. You probably forgot about Petra's stellar record in finals, where she usually delivers her best. Not to mention that on Friday she played against the long-standing world #1, while Marion is just #9.

You should believe in her more.

mac47
Jan 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I stand corrected. This is one of those times when it's a pleasure to be wrong. I was going off her Caro match, where she was toiling and struggling and finally pulling through. And when she was broken in the first set, I was very afraid that I was right.

I also have a lot of respect for Marion's game, and we should remember that she served for the first set.

But you're right, I should not have doubted. Good God, what a career she's going to have with her ability to elevate her game like that, and to turn everything around after a lousy match and play a GOAT one in the final! I stayed up until 3:00 AM watching Petra destroy Marion.

Was there a doubles match between France and CR? Or did they cancel it when the Czechs swept the singles?

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 7th, 2012, 04:44 PM
@Corswandt

Good Viewpoints & insight.

It's funny, as crazy & as jam packed as it sounds, if Petra and her body are up to it, Hopan to Sydney to AO are doable.
Petra gets a bye into Sydney, so she'd only have to play 4 matches. And even if she wins (barring bad weather), she'd still have 3-4 days to rest before the start of the AO, while having days off between Matches.

Remember when she won Wimbledon, she played Eastbourne right up to that Sun, cause of bad weather and nonetheless coasted.

If Petra's tired-Worst case scenario (if they're smart in this instance) she tanks, coast or drops out of Sydney with her form already established.

Conditioning and stamina don't seem to be issues anymore Ex. Avoiding mental 'walkabouts' and spraying the ball are much bigger concerns nowadays I would say. Overall, I think she's looking extremely together for this early in the season.

Time for Petra to rage!!!!

:worship: Hail Queen Petra :worship: Petra is the best :worship:

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 7th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Sydney draw:

(1)Wozniacki v BYE
Cibulkova v Peng
Pavlyuchenkova v Petkovic
Q v (7)Radwanska

(3)Azarenka v Q
Jankovic v Goerges
(wc)Dokic v (wc)Holland
Q v (8)Bartoli

(6)Zvonareva v Kuznetsova
Safarova v Ivanovic
Pennetta v Q
Q v (4)Li

(5)Stosur v Schiavone
Vinci v Hantuchova
Lisicki v Q
(2)Kvitova v BYE

That's a helluva good lineup for Sydney. Can't wait to see how it shakes out. I like Petra's chances if she plays to form.

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 7th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Hey Mac, just for fun revisiting your GM post from yesterday. You probably forgot about Petra's stellar record in finals, where she usually delivers her best. Not to mention that on Friday she played against the long-standing world #1, while Marion is just #9.

You should believe in her more.

I can't believe Big Mac doubted our Queen. Shame on you Mac Daddy. ;)

Damn Petra was awesome today. 2012 is going to be a great year for her!

:worship: Petra is the best - Don't forget it :worship:

Petronius
Jan 7th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Was there a doubles match between France and CR? Or did they cancel it when the Czechs swept the singles?

The Australian crowd looked a bit disappointed that it was over so quickly, they definitely wanted to see a mixed doubles match. They were cheering for the Frenchman, but Tomas was too good :worship: and so the doubles match was cancelled.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 7th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Yay!:cheer: Congrats Petra!:worship:

Excelscior
Jan 7th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I was surprised that on many betting sites Kanepi is like 6th/7th favorite for AO, even before Wozniacki, Sharapova, Li etc.

I myself haven't seen her play lately but I plan to watch Brisbane final tonight on Eurosport. I want to see for myself why she is being praised so much even though I do not consider Hantuchova a very difficult oponnent for any top 10 player lately.

BTW: Petra is top favorite for AO on all betting sites I've checked. Nothing unexpectable but still nice indication of how many experts all around the world currently see the real potential of players on the WTA tour. On most of the betting sites she is even expected to win AO with twice the probability then any other player with the exception of Serena. I hope they are right! :-)

Kanepi is a super threat. And she was one of my early favorites for Auckland. She killed Dannie yesterday 6-1 6-2 last night, to win the Auckland title. She can do serious damage if she carries her form and belief over to AO. The question is will the stage be too big for her, especially playing a similar type opponent like herself?

As far as her meeting Petra Mac; based off what I seen from both of them (including Petra vs Bartoli and Kaia vs Dannie), I'd still give Petra the edge.

Both are great shot makers, but Petra has better variety, court coverage, versatility on her serve, movement and mental strength/confidence, on current form. Petra seems to have it all cooking now. And Petra has played better competition to boot (Dannie's practically a walking bye playing good players deep in tournaments).

Bartoli was playing arguably equally as well or better as Kanepi and Petra smoked her and broke her spirit, after she played so well against Petra in the first set (and for the whole week). And remember this was after petra had her much anticipated big Rumble Down Under against Wozniaki.

Kaia's betting position is so good now, cause she's playing well enough to seriously compete or win, while her odds are low enough for people to take a chance on her, pushing up her overall odds. I think her AO pecking order position is about right (whether she does well there or not).

Mynarco
Jan 7th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Don't see Kvitova on Paris Indoor's EL. Good strategy I think. Last year winning this messed up her Dubai run

plokploky
Jan 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Great win for petra:cheer: (I know I'm a bit late)

Anyway on to sydney. If she gives a single shit, she can breeze through to the semis, where she will probably have to have a tough maych against Bepa, sveti(wishful thinking) or na. I think will be the match she tanks in because she will have to exert some energy and she's clever enough not to do that before AO. However if she does put in all her effort just to shut everybody up about 'real number 1', then it'll be an close 2 set or an easy two set win. The only player that could worry her in the final is azarenka and we all know how well azarenka does in finals against kvitova:oh:

Excelscior
Jan 7th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Don't see Kvitova on Paris Indoor's EL. Good strategy I think. Last year winning this messed up her Dubai run

You are a prophet or a mind reader.

That's exactly what Petra said and why it's not on the 2012 schedule.

She said it messed up her spring hard court season, particularly Dubai, Doha, etc. (which ever ones that followed Paris where she had the 1st rd losses).

Obviously Petra and her team have the proper priorities and focus (though Paris Indoor would be such a nice tournament to give up).

Petronius
Jan 7th, 2012, 11:16 PM
It's funny Petra said/admitted that she played "much better today against Marion" at the Hopman award presentation.

I know there was a lot of discussion yesterday about Petra playing poorly and Wozniaki playing the match of her life against Petra, and still losing. We'll she addressed it. Lol

When the TV guy told her how well she played against Caroline after they won, Petra let him know how she really felt.

Not sure if he was blowing smoke up Petra's tennis skirt, but tournament director, Paul McManee told Petra, that her stretch with Marion, after 4-5 first set, was some of the best tennis he ever seen at the Hopman. And you know he's been there all 24 years. lol

Maybe he was serious/meant it? Cause with the other 3 players, he congratulated them on what they did in their games, but he did not compare them to any past years, players or tournaments, like he did Petra.

I think we get spoiled by Petra's play all to often and forget how people react to her, when they really get to see her play for the first time (as we once did/or still do).

Even our Czech commentator was extremely excited during that stretch, saying that Petra was already playing like the world #1 and something like "Petra's play is sending shivers down my spine" and you could feel he really meant it. It was a sight to behold.

Corswandt
Jan 8th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Awesome. :lol:

But I actually think the earlier she meets Serena the more likely she will beat her. Serena becomes a different player when the trophy is in site, but maybe post-comeback is different.

Or I'm being hopelessly deluded in thinking she has a chance, but I think she does. I think she needs just 2 matches in Sydney cause the form is there.

Do you know what gets to me?

That Serena's current ranking and seeding at the Slams is due entirely to her not feeling like playing after the USO. That she doesn't care, since she believes that, when she ends up being drawn to play a top 4 or top 8 seed or whatever at a Slam fairly early on that's a disaster not for her, but for whoever she happens to draws. And that she's 100% right in feeling that way.

I'm up to here with the part-timers messing up draws.

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Congrats, -- knowing Petra's record in F it was evident that she was going to transcend herself -- that's 8-2 now unofficially and this is really very impressive for a 21 year old. It's really a shame I missed that but the match seemed to have went really quick... Now the regular tour, impatient and can't wait for Sydney...Yeah,I'm with you here;though I'm glad that Petra came on and played well to take the title,HC feels like an overblown pre-season exhibition to me...am looking forward to seeing Petra kick some ass when the points really count

HowardH
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:48 AM
So now she has Wimb, YEC, Fed Cup, and Hopman Cup. That's a very nice list.

I've always wondered if it was possible to use something similar to ELO ratings for tennis. It (or something similar) might help to solve the issues caused by part-time players who are clearly far stronger than their current WTA rankings indicate.

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2012, 05:49 AM
So now she has Wimb, YEC, Fed Cup, and Hopman Cup. That's a very nice list.

I've always wondered if it was possible to use something similar to ELO ratings for tennis. It (or something similar) might help to solve the issues caused by part-time players who are clearly far stronger than their current WTA rankings indicate.Well,no doubt who the runt of the litter is in THAT quartet,Howard.

While I respect the concerns over the part-timer issue,I'd call the biggest example of this,Serena,an anomaly.Though there are gals who can and have beaten her even when she's at a high level,there are VERY few athletes,period,who can 'flip the switch' as she has done by playing lights-out even following a long lay-off.Once she retires,you likely won't see that type of aberration in the WTA for quite a while.Besides,the fears over her dominance should be allayed somewhat after both Clijsters and Stosur kicked her ass on her favorite surface in her last two huge USO matches.Honestly,Petra should respect her but I'd be disappointed if Petra came into their next matchup overwhelmed and intimidated.Petra should have sufficient self-belief there based on her recent successes and previous experience in the H2H.

@Queen Petra Fan: That was pushing the envelope a bit on a juvenile,GM level;did some hot-looking French gal once laugh at you and shoot you down in front of all your friends on your travels thru Europe?;)

Excelscior
Jan 8th, 2012, 06:08 AM
When and at what time does Petra play her first match at Sydney? Is it Tues or Wednesday, Australia time (remember they're 3hrs ahead of Perth, so tack on 3hrs)?

Thanks in advance.

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 8th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Kanepi is a super threat. And she was one of my early favorites for Auckland. She killed Dannie yesterday 6-1 6-2 last night, to win the Auckland title. She can do serious damage if she carries her form and belief over to AO. The question is will the stage be too big for her, especially playing a similar type opponent like herself?

As far as her meeting Petra Mac; based off what I seen from both of them (including Petra vs Bartoli and Kaia vs Dannie), I'd still give Petra the edge.

Both are great shot makers, but Petra has better variety, court coverage, versatility on her serve, movement and mental strength/confidence, on current form. Petra seems to have it all cooking now. And Petra has played better competition to boot (Dannie's practically a walking bye playing good players deep in tournaments).

Bartoli was playing arguably equally as well or better as Kanepi and Petra smoked her and broke her spirit, after she played so well against Petra in the first set (and for the whole week). And remember this was after petra had her much anticipated big Rumble Down Under against Wozniaki.

Kaia's betting position is so good now, cause she's playing well enough to seriously compete or win, while her odds are low enough for people to take a chance on her, pushing up her overall odds. I think her AO pecking order position is about right (whether she does well there or not).

Good post ex. Loads of good points except for the location of the tournament. :o

I really agree with you that Kanepi could be the next big up and comer in 2012. Her game and physical qualities are quite similar to Petra's, as are her inexplicable ups and downs. It would seem both players have made strides though in controlling their stability issues. However, as we've seen in the past Petra owns a magnificent serve which gives her an instant edge in any match with Kaia. On the other hand, if Kaia played a match against Petra strongly and consistently with a low number of UEs it would probably upset the apple cart unless Petra's serve is very hot.

I can really see Kanepi having a good year and winning up to three non-GS tournaments. Is she ready to snatch a GS? I'm not so sure right now. She still has to prove she can string enough good matches against top players to do it. Brisbane was just an appetizer. I do feel she is definitely a Top 10 player waiting to happen.

The comparisons are already beginning: :lol:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/flawless-kaia-kanepi-defeats-daniela-hantuchova-in-brisbane-international-final/story-fn77kxzt-1226238991509

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-01-07/8548.php

I love this line from the story: World No. 2 Petra Kvitova’s mojo cannot be stopped.
I think I'll make it my new sig. :lol:

:worship: Queen Petra Kvitova's mojo cannot be stopped! :worship:

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 8th, 2012, 07:14 AM
@Queen Petra Fan: That was pushing the envelope a bit on a juvenile,GM level;did some hot-looking French gal once laugh at you and shoot you down in front of all your friends on your travels thru Europe?;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought someone was going to bitch about that pic. :rolleyes: I just didn't think it would be you! :lol:

You're not going soft are you? Did the Clamato lovers dampen your mojo? :eek: :haha:

:worship: Queen Petra's mojo cannot be stopped! :worship:

Meelis
Jan 8th, 2012, 07:18 AM
When and at what time does Petra play her first match at Sydney? Is it Tues or Wednesday, Australia time (remember they're 3hrs ahead of Perth, so tack on 3hrs)?

Tuesday (Sydney has a Friday final)

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2012, 08:24 AM
@Queen Petra Fan: That was pushing the envelope a bit on a juvenile,GM level;did some hot-looking French gal once laugh at you and shoot you down in front of all your friends on your travels thru Europe?;)

Yeah, I thought someone was going to bitch about that pic. :rolleyes: I just didn't think it would be you! :lol:

You're not going soft are you? Did the Clamato lovers dampen your mojo? :eek: :haha:

:worship: Queen Petra's mojo cannot be stopped! :worship:[/QUOTE]Well,it's a bit subjective,but you agreed that Petra shouldn't shout over opponent's UEs,so how are YOU setting a classy example by portraying her opponents as roadkill??Maybe it's time to cut back on the alcohol consumption again,huh;)?...unless you wanna seem like another loud,undisciplined American drunk who got transplanted in Europe:p.Would rather spare Petra the animosity that comes from fans who act like graceless front-runners but,as I admitted:angel:,it's all somewhat subjective

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 8th, 2012, 08:40 AM

:worship: Queen Petra's mojo cannot be stopped! :worship:

Originally posted by Bruce Goose:
Well,it's a bit subjective,but you agreed that Petra shouldn't shout over opponent's UEs,so how are YOU setting a classy example by portraying her opponents as roadkill??Maybe it's time to cut back on the alcohol consumption again,huh;)?...unless you wanna seem like another loud,undisciplined American drunk who got transplanted in Europe:p.Would rather spare Petra the animosity that comes from fans who act like graceless front-runners but,as I admitted:angel:,it's all somewhat subjective[/QUOTE]

Posted by Queen Petra Fan:
I hate living in a PC world. Nobody can take a joke anymore. :sad:

Boringland here we come!!! :lol:

BTW: It's only around 9:30am over here, I haven't started with the sauce yet. Give me a few minutes! :drink:

:worship: Queen Petra's and QPF's mojo cannot be stopped! :bounce:

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Well,I'm not going to war over this--was just putting in my two cents:hatoff:.Where I'm coming from is that we don't need to be hostile towards most of Petra's foes b/c we're fortunate enough to have a fave who rewards our fanship by increasingly fulfilling her potential.In my OWN case,I'm a lot less bitter over the years I wasted following that dizzy,phony,ultra-horny Serbian fraud cuz Petra has blessed me with the catharsis of Classy-Smalltown-Girl-Becomes-Champion....So I'd rather not waste my time worrying over most other WTA gals since we've already surpassed them with Petra:cool:.If an intense rivalry arises with someone who has a nasty attitude,THEN we'll change tacks a bit;)

Meelis
Jan 8th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Lisicki pukked out of Sydney, so Petra will play either Arvidsson or Dulgheru in R2. Should be motivated :p

paulmara
Jan 8th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Oh, It is very interesting
Beijing Arvidsson – Kvitova 7:6 4:6 6:3
US Open Dulgheru – Kvitova 7:6 6:3

TimeyWimey
Jan 8th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Lisicki pukked out of Sydney, so Petra will play either Arvidsson or Dulgheru in R2. Should be motivated :p

excellent, can not think of a better opponent for her to start "outdoor season"

Excelscior
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:15 PM
excellent, can not think of a better opponent for her to start "outdoor season"

Interesting.

And the way Petra played Bartoli, I was concerned with neither Lisicki or the outdoors. But I see you still are? Lol. Wow! Lol.

To be quite honest, though I don't think it would make a difference, Petra could of been better off playing Lisicki. Watch what you wish for. The other two could present complexities.

Not only Petra will be a bigger favorite, but will she have concentration issues to start (after Hopman matches & expecting to play Lisicki), and/or bad memories if things don't start out her way? Lisicki was a tailor made, high ranked, but flawed ball basher for Petra.

Like I said, I don't expect bad things to happen, but I was more responding to the facets of your statement.

Good Luck Petra.

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Lisicki pukked out of Sydney, so Petra will play either Arvidsson or Dulgheru in R2. Should be motivated :pEvery once in a while,a mindless ballbasher like Sabine can rise up with a flawless performance,but I like Petra's odds in not facing one of those rare days.It's more likely that the German cover girl will injure her butt by sitting down carelessly during a changeover and then default the match.When Petra is in form,only a mature veteran would give me concern as her opponent

AfroIYH
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Every once in a while,a mindless ballbasher like Sabine can rise up with a flawless performance,but I like Petra's odds in not facing one of those rare days.It's more likely that the German cover girl will injure her butt by sitting down carelessly during a changeover and then default the match.When Petra is in form,only a mature veteran would give me concern as her opponent

I don't think Lisicki is a mindless ball basher, she's a little rough round the edges, and if her previous performances on Grass are anything to go by, she'll be giving Petra some real problems at Wimbledon in future.

TimeyWimey
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Interesting.

And the way Petra played Bartoli, I was concerned with neither Lisicki or the outdoors. But I see you still are? Lol. Wow! Lol.

To be quite honest though, I don't think it would make a difference ("watch what you wish"), Petra could of been better off playing Lisicki. The other two could present complexities.

Not only Petra will be a bigger favorite, but will she have concentration issues to start, and/or bad memories if things don't start out her way? Lisicki is a tailor made ball basher for Petra.

Like I said, I don't expect these things to happen, but I was more responding to your statement.

Good Luck Petra.

it's OK, Ex, you don't have to respond to my statement (but I guess that's why you're so popular in GM)

I missed 3.9 of her 4 matches at Perth, an event to which, to be hoest, I have no interest at all, it doesn't matter if she plays Bartoli or Serena, plays like shit or plays like GOAT

Don't get me wrong, I'm not assuming Sydney the ultimate test of everything, I just do not like the type of tournament that includes RR

Sabine just pulled out, so I'll skip although I disagree with you

Excelscior
Jan 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM
it's OK, Ex, you don't have to respond to my statement (but I guess that's why you're so popular in GM)
I missed 3.9 of her 4 matches at Perth, an event to which, to be hoest, I have no interest at all, it doesn't matter if she plays Bartoli or Serena, plays like shit or plays like GOAT

Don't get me wrong, I'm not assuming Sydney the ultimate test of everything, I just do not like the type of tournament that includes RR

Sabine just pulled out, so I'll skip although I disagree with you

Now I know why you made your original statement. You didn't see Petra play, nor care anyway. Okay. Lol

Actually Hopman Cup was perfect preparation for Sydney (3 guaranteed matches with top players, with a 4th if you make the finals, along with some mixed doubles), and more importantly, the Australian Open.

Remember, many recent Australian Open winners (or deep runs), including Djokovic last year, played Hopman Cup first. Don't knock it/dismiss it too much. It's a well known great warm up event. That's why it gets so many top players every year for two decades (along with the perks). But you gotta be invited. Petra herself said, "I was very satisfied with my Australian Open preparation here (Perth/Hopman)"

Sabine's recent Austalia form, doesn't compare to Petra's (but I know you don't count anything from Hopman). :) :) Remember I saw Sabine play to, before she pulled out.

Funny, as far as the dreaded "Outdoor Hardcourt/aka Petra Kryptonite notion, we were recently just arguing and admonishing that notion on GM (as you may know), and your post reminded me of it. That's all.

It's all good. No biggie. The Real matches (to some) are almost here anyway. :) :devil: :)

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I don't think Lisicki is a mindless ball basher, she's a little rough round the edges, and if her previous performances on Grass are anything to go by, she'll be giving Petra some real problems at Wimbledon in future.There's no question that she's a talent...even better than lots of other hard-hitters out there...and I agree that grass is a surface that allows her to challenge most anyone...but Sabine gets injured SOOOO often that we're WAY past the point of it being 'bad luck'.Occassionally,a fit athlete can inherit a physical condition that's no fault of his/her own.However,in the great majority of cases,constant injuries result from poor fitness habits and,by all appearances,Sabine is more concerned with being a glamour queen/movie star than she is with playing tennis.5 years from now,we'll likely see Sabine offering the same tired excuses about how injuries kept her from getting any rhythm during the season...yet she'll have plenty of time for photo/video shoots....Meanwhile,Petra will continue to find the right balance between her personal and athletic lives,and she'll quietly go about piling up major titles and slams

AfroIYH
Jan 8th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I disagree for years people asked if Djokovic could win another Slam inbetween his glossary of injuries and breathing problems, and has just come off the back of one of the best years in tennis history. I think its a legitimate concern whether Sabine could get past all these injuries however I think she has enough talent to not allow herself to be bogged down in these issues and I have no doubt if she gets a big enough head of steam she might pose the threat of knocking out Petra at Wimbledon.

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2012, 06:16 PM
The difference there is that Nole at least had that initial Slam title to argue in his favor,whereas Sabine doesn't even have that token championship.Based on my observations of her on court,she strikes me as a mentally fragile girl who loses her composure easily.However,if she proves me wrong,I'll tip my hat to her and salute her success....not to the point of changing my allegiance from Petra,though;)

AfroIYH
Jan 8th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I'm not asking for a change in allegiance, I just think you're being a bit harsh on Sabine, players mature at different rates.

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I'm not asking for a change in allegiance, I just think you're being a bit harsh on Sabine, players mature at different rates.Yeah,maybe I'm being too hard on her,but let her find success at the expense of players other than Petra:lol:

AfroIYH
Jan 8th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Now you're speaking my language.

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Unless she has some close relatives there,I don't think that Petra will ever be adopted as 'Aussie Petra' Down Under....There was 'Aussie Kim' a few years ago until Clijsters dumped Lleyton Hewitt and lost any interest in that nickname:lol:...and then they came up with 'Aussie Ana' a couple years back...and we've seen what a disaster THAT has turned out to be:p.So,if Petra wins the AO and they try to adopt HER,she'll probably just say,'Uhhh,thanks but NO thanks,guys:angel:...":lol:

AfroIYH
Jan 8th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I love the nickname Aussie Kim, it feels so random.

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Kim is sort of a boring,awkward interviewee,but in a charming,honest way that makes you like her more....she shares that trait with Petra.They're probably a lot more open in their native tongues...Petra sure seems to be

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 9th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Well,I'm not going to war over this--was just putting in my two cents:hatoff:.Where I'm coming from is that we don't need to be hostile towards most of Petra's foes b/c we're fortunate enough to have a fave who rewards our fanship by increasingly fulfilling her potential.In my OWN case,I'm a lot less bitter over the years I wasted following that dizzy,phony,ultra-horny Serbian fraud cuz Petra has blessed me with the catharsis of Classy-Smalltown-Girl-Becomes-Champion....So I'd rather not waste my time worrying over most other WTA gals since we've already surpassed them with Petra:cool:.If an intense rivalry arises with someone who has a nasty attitude,THEN we'll change tacks a bit;)

Bruce, you have me wrong. I don't hate any of Petra's foes. Don't mistake my poking needles in them for hate. I really admire and like both Bartoli and Woz. But we all know they are merely roadkill for Queen Petra's unstoppable mojo. Please excuse my twisted sense of humor, it can't be helped. ;)

:worship: Queen Petra's and QPF's mojo cannot be stopped! :worship:

AfroIYH
Jan 9th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Even if Petra wont say it, at least her fellow countryman will.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/tomas-berdych-petra-kvitova-will-overtake-caroline-wozniacki/story-fn77kxzt-1226239253361
"I think she's going to be soon number one," Berdych said.

paulmara
Jan 9th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Tuesday Centre court 11:00
Wozniacki - Cibulkova
Followed by Kvitova – Dulgheru

http://www.apiainternational.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/OPTuesday.pdf

AfroIYH
Jan 9th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Be on about 12:15 AUS, provided Wozniacki takes longer to get knocked out.

bruce goose
Jan 9th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Bruce, you have me wrong. I don't hate any of Petra's foes. Don't mistake my poking needles in them for hate. I really admire and like both Bartoli and Woz. But we all know they are merely roadkill for Queen Petra's unstoppable mojo. Please excuse my twisted sense of humor, it can't be helped. ;)

:worship: Queen Petra's and QPF's mojo cannot be stopped! :worship:Fair enough,QPH;like I said,I wasn't going to war over that:angel:...just wanted to make sure that we supported our Lioness in the right way--with the class & dignity she represents--as we cheer her on to victory:wavey:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 9th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Petra better don't lose to Alex!

Petronius
Jan 9th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Petra better don't lose to Alex!

No worries here.

First, at the US Open Petra didn't lose to Alex, she was beaten by herself.

Second, Petra was excellent against Marion in the 2nd set at Hopman, she's in good shape.

Corswandt
Jan 9th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Tuesday Centre court 11:00
Wozniacki - Cibulkova
Followed by Kvitova – Dulgheru

http://www.apiainternational.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/OPTuesday.pdf

So there's a chance it will be shown taped on ES1 tomorrow, right?

Corswandt
Jan 9th, 2012, 05:14 PM
So there's a chance it will be shown taped on ES1 tomorrow, right?

Small chance as they'll probably favour the Corsican Fatso's match, which should also be finished by 8 AM GMT.

HowardH
Jan 9th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Well,no doubt who the runt of the litter is in THAT quartet,Howard.

While I respect the concerns over the part-timer issue,I'd call the biggest example of this,Serena,an anomaly.Though there are gals who can and have beaten her even when she's at a high level,there are VERY few athletes,period,who can 'flip the switch' as she has done by playing lights-out even following a long lay-off.Once she retires,you likely won't see that type of aberration in the WTA for quite a while.Besides,the fears over her dominance should be allayed somewhat after both Clijsters and Stosur kicked her ass on her favorite surface in her last two huge USO matches.Honestly,Petra should respect her but I'd be disappointed if Petra came into their next matchup overwhelmed and intimidated.Petra should have sufficient self-belief there based on her recent successes and previous experience in the H2H.

Of course as you suggest Hopman cup is the smallest by far of her recent victories.

Serena is a big exception of course, since she has, as you say, a tendency to be able to play amazing tennis reasonably shortly after coming off a long lay-off. Most players have a much longer period of finding their game again.

Still, this doesn't mean there wouldn't be a place for a ranking system more like ELO (or even better, perhaps). It is clear that for many players their ability to play does not deteriorate as quickly as the loss of ranking points from not playing matches. If a player is out for half a year it doesn't mean their playing level is cut in half. A factor that takes into account non-active playing time could be incorporated into the ranking system, so that the longer a player was inactive the more their rating would slowly drop. Still, no system is perfect. Personally I've always thought that for exceptions like Serena and Kim the slams should use their ability to give them reasonably high seedings even when they haven't been active. But they don't seem to have the guts to do that these days.

I think that Petra is not intimidated by any opponent these days. But that doesn't mean having Serena in her way wouldn't be a mighty tough draw (and an unfair one too). Of course in the AO how tough it is may depend on the severity of Serena's ankle injury.

It's impossible for Petra to be beaten by Alex. She would have to lose to herself again. I don't think that will happen. Alex was terrible in Auckland. She wasn't even consistent. Alex was probably quite lucky to get past the first round in Sydney. Sofia beat her in the qualies in a marathon match and I think she was just too tired- physically and mentally- to do it again when somehow Alex got the LL spot and drew her again. Alex is coming off a layoff, if I remember, and for a consistency-based player like herself, it can be very hard to find the rhythm again. And even if she plays her best game Petra should win anyway, unless she self-destructs completely.

Corswandt
Jan 9th, 2012, 05:23 PM
The WTA's ranking system should be like the UCI rankings: winnng the Bycicle of the Brabant single day race or some other Benelux kermesse race nobody gives a shit about awarding almost as many points as winning the Tour de France.

This isn't hyperbole BTW. Check the points awarded to each race here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_UCI_World_Tour

Mynarco
Jan 9th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Kvitova changed her profile pic on WTA website. Hers is getting better and better

paulmara
Jan 9th, 2012, 08:37 PM
http://www.wtatennis.com/namedImage/12781/player_314206.jpg

mdx
Jan 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Kvitova changed her profile pic on WTA website. Hers is getting better and better

Good choice. How do you know she changed it/selected it herself?

mac47
Jan 9th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Blonde goddess.

TimeyWimey
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:11 AM
wow, who was expecting this kind of scoreline?

now anyone remember how "well" she played in Hopman Cup, in YEC, especially in the RR matches?

mac47
Jan 10th, 2012, 05:13 AM
She's always been erratic. Not looking at all comfortable today.

I wasn't cocky about the match with Dulgheru, not with that ugly history.