PDA

View Full Version : Happy Boxing Day, Brits

*JR*
Dec 26th, 2011, 02:14 PM
And London transit strike! :tape:

Travellers on London's Underground network face disruption as drivers from the union Aslef stage a 24-hour strike. The dispute is over the union's demand for extra pay for its members working on the Boxing Day public holiday.

All Tube lines have experienced some level of disruption since the strike began at midnight, according to Transport for London's website. The strike is affecting shoppers heading for the start of the new year sales, and football fans.

Full Beeb article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16330372)

Monica_Rules
Dec 26th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Sack them all and get some people who can actually bothered to do some work to do these jobs.

Tube drivers already have over inflated wages for a job that does not require much training or much skill and yet they still want more, more and more. And i don't even live in London

Sean.
Dec 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Deja 'fucking' Vu!

Mynarco
Dec 26th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I understand that they have the rights to stage any sorts of industrial actions whenever they find necessary, but disrupting tube services on Boxing Day is just unfeeling to the public, and will never gain any public sympathy or support.

I am glad I don't need to go to London today. It must be chaotic as hell.

Londoner
Dec 26th, 2011, 08:16 PM
And London transit strike! :tape:

Travellers on London's Underground network face disruption as drivers from the union Aslef stage a 24-hour strike. The dispute is over the union's demand for extra pay for its members working on the Boxing Day public holiday.

All Tube lines have experienced some level of disruption since the strike began at midnight, according to Transport for London's website. The strike is affecting shoppers heading for the start of the new year sales, and football fans.

Full Beeb article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16330372)

Having just driven back to London from Brighton (which has taken 3.5 hours due to traffic) and seen the huge hordes of people, this strike has had little effect. It was busier than a normal Saturday. It is very sad in my view that everyone was out shopping just a few hours after Christmas Day. Apparently the shops were opening at dawn and people queuing up from 5.00 am! Pathetic.

Even sadder: a young man has been stabbed to death outside Footlocker on Oxford Street due to a row in the shop. 10 people have been arrested. Imagine, stabbed to death by 10 people on Boxing Day due to a row in a shop.:sad:

Monica_Rules
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:38 PM
And now a second man has been stabbed on Oxford Street. WTF is going on?

KournikovaFan91
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:51 AM
All these stories highlight how consumerism has gotten out of control, mass hysteria because people can't get to the shops cause of a strike and then a stabbing over a row in a show :help:

I guess this is what Western culture is nowadays, mass consumerism where people get hysterical and killed.

Keadz
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Train drivers in Australia get payed a ridiculous amount, is it similar in the U.K?

Dave.
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Having just driven back to London from Brighton (which has taken 3.5 hours due to traffic) and seen the huge hordes of people, this strike has had little effect. It was busier than a normal Saturday. It is very sad in my view that everyone was out shopping just a few hours after Christmas Day. Apparently the shops were opening at dawn and people queuing up from 5.00 am! Pathetic.

Even sadder: a young man has been stabbed to death outside Footlocker on Oxford Street due to a row in the shop. 10 people have been arrested. Imagine, stabbed to death by 10 people on Boxing Day due to a row in a shop.:sad:

The sales were worth it. :drool:

Anyway what happened to that boy was tragic. I arrived at Oxford Street about 15 mins after it happened shocked to see the whole street blocked off. At first I thought it was a bomb scare or something. Very surprised they blocked all that space and closed all of those shops.

There was also engineering on some parts of the tube which only added to the effects of the strike. I agree with their right to strike and would be interested in what the least experienced/lowest drivers get paid, not just the highest ones, before coming to a judgement. The London Underground is generally regarded as one of/the best city transport system in the world and the drivers play a big part in making that happen.

ranfurly
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Train drivers in Australia get payed a ridiculous amount, is it similar in the U.K?

haha why you think Kiwi's go over there and work, I'd do anything to get paid $75 an hour driving a truck interstate!

nevetssllim
Dec 27th, 2011, 10:07 AM

I don't know about train drivers but I've heard tube-drivers get about 50k per year.