PDA

View Full Version : Australian tennis TV coverage???

martinafan
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering which channels in australia will be showing the tennis this january?

Hopman Cup - ONE HD and foxtel?
Brisbane - Channel 7. foxtel at all?
Sydney - Channel 7. Foxtel at all?

Does Hobart or Auckland get any coverage on australian TV?

How many rounds etc are being shown of each tournament?

Also, what is the coverage of the australian open like on foxtel? Do they have multiple court coverage, or just one court??????

Thanks for any information!

Mikey.
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I just found this on Wikipedia, though I'm not sure how accurate or complete it is.

Australian Open: Seven Network (2009–2014), Fox Sports (2011–2014)
Brisbane International: Seven Network, Eurosport
World Tennis Challenge: Fox Sports
Moorilla Hobart International: Fox Sports, Southern Cross Television (in Tasmania)
Hopman Cup: Network Ten/One (2011–2014)
AAMI Classic: Seven Network
Medibank International: Seven Network, Eurosport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_broadcasting_contracts_in_Australia#Tennis

claypova
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:46 AM
i hope AAMI classic's contract with seven network will end ASAP ...

martinafan
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM
so, both brisbane and sydney are shown on eurosport too? but they'll likely just show the centre court matches same as channel 7, right?

And no coverage of auckland at all?!?! :(

Really hope foxtel gives comprehensive coverage of the australian open - we should be able to get coverage from at least the 3-4 main courts and choose which match we wanna watch

Mikey.
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I also found this:

http://www.sevenwestmedia.com.au/docs/business-unit-news/seven---tennis-2012-media-kit.pdf

It's a pretty good list of when the tennis is broadcast on Channel 7 in the different cities.

claypova
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM
so, both brisbane and sydney are shown on eurosport too? but they'll likely just show the centre court matches same as channel 7, right?

And no coverage of auckland at all?!?! :(

Really hope foxtel gives comprehensive coverage of the australian open - we should be able to get coverage from at least the 3-4 main courts and choose which match we wanna watch

yup they have that, you apparently have buttons for different courts :lol::shrug:

Mikey.
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I love pressing the red button and having the choice of what match to watch! :worship:

martinafan
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I love pressing the red button and having the choice of what match to watch! :worship:

so that will definitely be happening this year?

everythingtaboo
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Hopman Cup - ONE HD and foxtel?

Foxtel didn't show one Hopman match this year. So guessing their contract ended last year.

Also, I really hate what ONE has done with Hopman Cup. I miss the good old days of ABC. :sad:

Mikey.
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:12 AM
so that will definitely be happening this year?

No idea, but I hope to god they will.

martinafan
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Foxtel didn't show one Hopman match this year. So guessing their contract ended last year.

Also, I really hate what ONE has done with Hopman Cup. I miss the good old days of ABC. :sad:

really? didn't foxtel used to show the night sessions and the ABC was during the day? how will it work this year then?

everythingtaboo
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:21 AM
really? didn't foxtel used to show the night sessions and the ABC was during the day? how will it work this year then?

Yeah they used to. But they didn't for the 2011 tournament which was really disappointing. I'm guessing they couldn't get the rights from ONE. Every session is on ONE now-- including night ones.

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Please air Kooyong Classic on 7TWO and leave Apia International on the main channel :p

Bluish
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:43 AM

Me too! Karen Tighe and Steve Robilliard :sobbing:

Yoncé
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:49 AM

Its so good :drool:

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Its so good :drool:
Don't you love getting dirty ;)

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM
And yes, the red button has been like that for a few years now. I'm sure they will do it again in January :)

Yoncé
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Yeah they used to. But they didn't for the 2011 tournament which was really disappointing. I'm guessing they couldn't get the rights from ONE. Every session is on ONE now-- including night ones.

ONE didn't show the day sessions did they though? IIRC

Channel 7 showing Brissy night matches :drool::hearts:

Mashabator
Dec 26th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Kooyong is so shit, hate when they put useless exho matches over womens sydney matches

everythingtaboo
Dec 26th, 2011, 12:10 PM

I think most the sessions were pushed back to a later time like 3pm so ONE could air most of them. Weren't there one or two sessions that started at 9am & therefore weren't aired? I can't remember tbh, I attended most the sessions so didn't really pay attention to the TV schedule. :confused:

Yoncé
Dec 26th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Kooyong is so shit, hate when they put useless exho matches over womens sydney matches

Kooyong is the worst. The blue courts looks so ugly there and everything about it is shit. The worst part is how much channel 7 hype it up as actually meaning something :facepalm:

I think most the sessions were pushed back to a later time like 3pm so ONE could air most of them. Weren't there one or two sessions that started at 9am & therefore weren't aired? I can't remember tbh, I attended most the sessions so didn't really pay attention to the TV schedule. :confused:

I think so, most of the sessions started at 3 or 5pm I think but there were some earlier ones that didn't get aired. Still bitter they didn't show the joke doubles match between France and the USA

martinafan
Dec 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Channel 7 showing Brissy night matches :drool::hearts:

they're showing the night matches too?!?!? COOL! :bounce:

Mashabator
Dec 26th, 2011, 12:48 PM
One did show all of the day session didnt it? or was that ABC then one showed the rest?

And thank god 7 is showing night matches this time the no coverage was so annoying last yr

Yoncé
Dec 26th, 2011, 12:56 PM
they're showing the night matches too?!?!? COOL! :bounce:

Thats what I read on the link posted earlier! So they better and they better be live as well :o

Can't believe in SA they showed Home and Away and delayed the night session by half and hour for the AO last year :facepalm:

au_sports_opinion
Dec 26th, 2011, 12:56 PM
The blue courts looks so ugly there and everything about it is shit.

the blueness looks shit everywhere. i hate it. they should at least change the boarding at ao to another colour. maybe purple :hearts::hearts:

MarkNL
Dec 26th, 2011, 01:13 PM
If Eurosport is not broadcasting AO, is the BBC broadcasting it maybe? :sad: Otherwise I don't think I'll be able to watch matches. (Other then livestreams etc.)

au_sports_opinion
Dec 26th, 2011, 01:31 PM
If Eurosport is not broadcasting AO, is the BBC broadcasting it maybe? :sad: Otherwise I don't think I'll be able to watch matches. (Other then livestreams etc.)

no we're discussing the coverage here in australia. our eurosport (yes we have it here) isn't broadcasting ao but they will where you are for sure:)

everythingtaboo
Dec 26th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Can't believe in SA they showed Home and Away and delayed the night session by half and hour for the AO last year :facepalm:

They do that in WA too. Even the finals are delayed. :rolleyes:

Invisible Fan
Dec 26th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Good that the Hopman Cup is being shown on One I can't even remember which commentators they have.
Foxtel is showing the Mudabala challenge starting on Thursday. It says Fed and Nadal will be playing that.

Break My Rapture
Dec 26th, 2011, 08:35 PM
ES is showing AO in Europe, don't worry. :lol: Their AO commercial is already out.

claypova
Dec 26th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Thats what I read on the link posted earlier! So they better and they better be live as well :o

seriously? :rolls::happy:

Yoncé
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Good that the Hopman Cup is being shown on One I can't even remember which commentators they have.
Foxtel is showing the Mudabala challenge starting on Thursday. It says Fed and Nadal will be playing that.

Everyone is leaving them after 7 bought all the football. So we will probably get Kelli Underwood :facepalm: I can't wait to tear my ears off with a hacksaw.

Madoka
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:28 PM
normally auckland is covered by italian tv, at least, last 2 years it was covered.

Kəv.
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I just found this on Wikipedia, though I'm not sure how accurate or complete it is.

Moorilla Hobart International: Fox Sports, Southern Cross Television (in Tasmania)

The same like every year :shrug:

Shafanovic.
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:56 PM

Not accurate since Medibank International is not on this year. :p

Steadyniacki
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:01 AM
First session of Hopman is being delayed by 3h30min (so 12:30 start)

Rafito.
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:30 AM

It's actually going to be on live. Perth is 3 hours behind Sydney/Melbourne ;) Play starts at 9.30am Perth time therefore 12.30pm Syd/Melb time.

Shafanovic.
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:35 AM
It's actually going to be on live. Perth is 3 hours behind Sydney/Melbourne ;) Play starts at 9.30am Perth time therefore 12.30pm Syd/Melb time.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw3kusbYAt1r3u4er.gif

Steadyniacki
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:37 AM

Oh yay!
But :sobbing:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw3kusbYAt1r3u4er.gif

:oh:

I thought Arlyn is so smart...

http://pophangover.com/wp-content/uploads/jersey-shore-gif.gif

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:38 AM
:oh:

I thought Arlyn is so smart...

Shafanovic.
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:40 AM
He gave the head of BOS a blowjob to get the test papers early.

Steadyniacki
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:43 AM
He gave the head of BOS a blowjob to get the test papers early.

Then how come i was disappointed with my results! :p

Shafanovic.
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Because even though you had the test papers early you still failed. -.-

Steadyniacki
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Because even though you had the test papers early you still failed. -.-

Chris we're not all sluts like you

Lachy
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Can't wait for Fred Stolle's GOAT commentary and heavy breathing in the microphone while the points are being played :hearts: :lol:

Yoncé
Dec 27th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Can't wait for Fred Stolle's GOAT commentary and heavy breathing in the microphone while the points are being played :hearts: :lol:

I hope they bring back Bruce McAvaney and his rant about how people pronounce his name wrong :lol:

goat
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Australia's coverage of tennis is horrible! It gets me so frustrated that I end up watching it online :lol: Mind you, I essentially do that where ever I am.

Renalicious
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I really hope Foxtel delivers for the AO and you can press the red button, which brings up like, 6 courts :hearts: :hearts: YES PLEASE

Invisible Fan
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Australia's coverage of tennis is horrible! It gets me so frustrated that I end up watching it online :lol: Mind you, I essentially do that where ever I am.

Really? If you have Eurosport you see near constant WTA tennis. Foxtel also cover all the slams. Unless you mean you don't like the commentators.

everythingtaboo
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:11 PM

:hearts: He's such a legend. I actually got his autograph 2 years ago right before he went oncourt to interview Andy Murray and Laura Robson after a match.