PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Arantxa match/moment?

raquel
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:43 PM
I know not everyone is as big an Arantxa fan as me, but on the day she retires, just thought i would see what Arantxa fans favourite matches and memories are throughout her 17 year career.

My favourite tournament was the 1998 French Open - the great fightback against Serena, beating Lindsay in the semis, and one of her best fighting performances against Monica.

Other fave moments - of course her grand slam wins, 2000 Wimbledon where i was at courtside when she saved matchpoints to beat Nacuk, this year's Hopman Cup, beating Hingis last year and loads more!

Adios Arantxa and Good Luck
:kiss:

DEETHELICK
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:48 PM
My favourite moment was when Arantxa beat Hingis last year at AI.

She was so focused and intense, and had the perfect game plan. Neither lady was gona blow the other off the court, so the match was about true guile, wits and skill.

Arantxa just completely left Hingis speechless, with her dropshots, net attack and precise groundies.

I hadn't seen Arantxa that fired up in a long time, and she was hungry!

Have a good life Arantxa :)

I also liked her match against Monica this year at Indian Wells. What a match, she really took it to Monica and could have won that match too (she was up a break in the 3rd). Arantxa had so many weapons at her disposal then, as Monica and her power were unable to hit through Arantxa. Their exchange at the net was very nice too :)

Julian
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Definitely the 98 French Open final as mentioned..showed SO much heart and spirit the whole tournament..nobody would've thought that Arantxa would've made the final but it was a perfect example in that u should NEVER count Arantxa out for anything! :) The Fed Cup against the U.S. that year was a great one too.

More of my fave moments was her 89 French final win, everything that Steffi gave to her she would hit it back and it frustrated Steffi in that match, it was one of few matches in Steffi's career that I actually thought her opponent had more endurance then her in a match! Only being 17, Arantxa shocked the entire world. :)

JonBcn
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:53 PM
There are so many...

Coming back in the 1994 US Open final against a rampant Graf might just be my favourite...I still watch that match from time, and also their classic Wimbledon final...I missed most of the important points of that 5-5 game that went on for 20 minutes because I had a pillow over my face for most of it!

:)

JasonW
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:20 PM
98 French Semifinal against Serena Williams, coming back from such a deficit for reasons us Arantxa fans know, and fighting until she prevailed.
Also, the 98 French Final....A classic!!!!!!!

anabel
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Was not a semifinal JasonW, it was just a 4th round i think.

My best memories....hmm maybe when she won the French Open 98... at those days i never though i would see Arantxa winning a GS again... and she made the miracle.

But today i have seen so many moments of her career.... and it's just so difficult to pick one, cause her career is full of great results and memories.

tennisIlove09
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:58 PM
98 French; and the 95[?] Wimbledon, where it was 5-5 in the 3rd. the long game!

Mostly, I love that Arantxa was always a class act on and off the court. She always gave others credit, and she was a gracious loser. She is a class act.

Blessing Arantxa! I hope to hear you commentating soon!

hingis-seles
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:55 AM
I'll never forgive Aranxta for that '98 French Open win over Monica. :( :sad:

However, her GS titles were all major fights in the finals. That showed true courage. 7-5 in the 3rd in 1989, 6-4,6-4 over Pierce in FO'94, 6-4 in the 3rd against Steffi and 7-6,0-6,6-2 over Monica at RG in 1998.

Most people don't seem to remember that she was the first player to beat both the Williams Sisters back-to-back. She did it in Sydney in 1998, Steffi did it in Sydney in 1999, Martina did it in Melbourne in 2001 and now Kim in L.A in 2002.

selesrules
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:02 AM
Also Arantxa has a winning record against Serena, Davenport and Capriati.

PamShriverRockz
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:20 AM
Favourite Arantxa moment?!?! Omg, I have about 100 ;)

I've seen so many great Arantxa matches over the years....highlights:
89 RG obviously. Quite an achievement to beat Graf when ehe was only 17.
94 USO - Being match point down and beating Graf too. Probably her best.
Wimby 95 - Wonderful match and for personal reasons very special to me :)
When Arantxa ran away with Steffi's trophy :D

Countless other matches and funny moments :)

ASV
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:28 AM
my favorite moment was in the french open 2000.

playing schett. lost second set 0-6. fell down during point. got up and hit a winner down the line with her LEFT HAND. that shows determination.

i can't bear to watch tennis without arantxa. it will be too hard for me.

Mark43
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:23 AM
Arantxa's matches in the mid 90's with Steffi. I loved the US Open 1994 final and the 95-96 French and Wimbledon matches. That girl had such spunk!!!!

marsha
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:00 AM
1994 US Open is often remembered/cited, but for me the tournament just the week before that -- the 1994 Canadian Open in Montreal is just one heck of an amazing match to me... the third set tiebreak was so intense (and Arantxa hit one of those scare-me-to-death drop shots from the baseline on an ad point -- unreal!) - I'll share the tape of that match (or any of those in my "collection") with those who want it.

Senorita Conchita
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:06 AM
I think it was the 91 French Open semis, where she beat Graf
6-0,6-2. I just couldn't believe it, she got to everyball, crazy anticipation.

RedRaider1
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:16 AM
I have 3 favorite Arantxa matches which will always stand out to me.

1994 Hamburg Final ASV D. Steffi 4-6 7-6 7-6. ASV saved multiple match points in this incredible match that went over 3 hours.

1994 Canandian Open Final ASV D. Steffi 7-5 1-6 7-6 ASV again saved multiple match points in another all out war

1995 WImbledon Final Steffi D. ASV 4-6 6-1 7-5. That game at 5-5 in the 3rd was just INCREDIBLE! 20 minutes and 13 deuces at such a crucial stage in the match.

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Venus Williams def. Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario 3-6 6-2 6-4 at the Sydney 2000 Olympics with 2 hours and 11 minutes.

I was there and watch the match... it was most incredible match ever I watch in matches! Venus was 32 winning streak at the time and she led 5-1 in the final set, I think... however, Arantxa never gave up! She won next three games and at 5-4, it was tight game as well. Unfortunately, she can't won that game but still great match, though. I never forget that day!

Rene
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:44 AM
When she defeated the williamses back-to-back
Sydney 1998
SF d Serena 6-2 6-1
F d Venus 6-1 6-3

btw she has retired having a positive record against the No. 1 Arantxa 4-3 Serena :D

stormy
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:00 AM
For me, it's the Roland Garros 89 Final in which she defeated Steffi Graf. I have never seen and never knew that a player can enjoy herself so much in a match. Arantxa, with her baby fat, was so full of enthusiasm in that match, and she really delighted the crowd with her spectacular saves and out of this world shots. That is the only one match that kept me smiling and laughing throughout. Arantxa looked so cute in that presentation ceremony as well, she was simply adorable.

Richie77
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:07 AM
I'm going to miss Arantxa!

My favorite moment was when she won the 1994 U.S. Open. I was out with my friends, so I taped the match. However, I heard in the car that Arantxa had upset Steffi Graf, which surprised me, since Steffi won the first set, 6-1!
Also, when she won Roland Garros in 1994, I still remember her reaction. And that she had, as Bud Collins put it, "fell asleep down break point," since the final was moved back to Sunday due to rain.

Adios, Arantxa! :wavey: I'll miss you!

novotnaquinton
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:44 AM
98 French Open..
when she played Serena Williams in the 4th round
she trailed 2-5 in the third set but she didn't give up and won 5 straight games! It's amazing to break Serena twice!
And I remember Serena accidentally hit the ball towards the head of ASV when she is on the net...And I remember that point so much! Aftewr the point...ASV played really aggressively and seems wanna revenage what Williams has done..:)
Nice memory

wave
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Arantxa: Well there are so many rememorable matches including her.

To put them in groups:

1. Of course all GS wins. First of all the US Open win in 1994, because the "experts" never thought that she could beat Steffi on hard courts in a GS final. Then all three RG wins: Great tennis and two great fight backs in them. Arantxa playing at Roland Garros was like playing in her home. So sad that she lost the last match as a first round there...

2. All wins against Steffi: From 1993 - 1996 she was the one who prevailed women's tennis from becomming boring, since she was able to beat Steffi from time to time. I have watched the final of the Canadian Open re-live on a Spanish tv channel. My Spanish is very limited but I just had to watch that match for a second time. Such a great fight back.

3. The other GS finals: It was heartbreaking to see her losing that Wimby final. She really deserved to win, because it was her best effort in Wimby ever and had she won that long game, who knows? And two or three finals at the Australian Open. She was so disappointed to lose them. Me too.

Other favourite moments: When she gave her famous interviews in German. So great and funny to listen to her. When she started playing, her English interviews were funny too. But besides being funny, every interview showed that she was a fighter, she always believed in herself but gave the oponent credit (much more than other players of that aera who always lost because they "played crap that day"). I will miss her a lot and tennis will miss her because of the great person she is and because she showed that you don't have to be 1,80 m tall to win a GS.

I wish you all the best in you private life! Vamosss Arantxa!:)

Messenger
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by ASV
my favorite moment was in the french open 2000.

playing schett. lost second set 0-6. fell down during point. got up and hit a winner down the line with her LEFT HAND. that shows determination.

That's unbelievable

Nacho
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:18 AM
The whole 1998 French Open, but also the doubles match against Mary Joe and Lisa at the Fed Cup 98 Semifinals. I think I have never been so nervous :o The final set was just amazing.

Kirt12255
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Hi everyone :-)

Just a new member here but agree Aranxta will be missed.

My fav match, although she didn't win it was watching her play Rubin at the Australian Open...from memory it was like 14-12 in the third set. The atmopshere was electric :-)

Kirt

auntie janie
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Welcome, Kirt! :)

My very favorite Arantxa moment was when her big heart caused her to publicly APOLOGIZE for beating Monica after the 1998 French Open final! And she meant it! What a sweetheart. :hearts:

The crowd was understandably pro-Monica that day -- she had just lost her beloved father -- but they embraced Arantxa after that endearing victory speech. :kiss:

ms_nut
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Arantxa was really classy at the '93 U.S open.She was the only player who sat down and talked to Seles.
Seles said she cried tears of joy because Arantxa was so caring.
Arantxa said it showed how human Seles was and how human she was too.
loved that moment.

CÚcile
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:53 PM
I remember many exceptional matches with Arantxa, especially her finals in Roland Garros but my best memory remains the Brussels tournament in July 2002 where I had the chance to meet her for the first time. She was really friendly and I will never forget the moments we have shared!!!

cooolconchita
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:26 PM
hmmm!

it has to be the 2000 french open semis where she lost to conchita. it was such a great day for the pair of them to STILL be making semis of slams - for arantxa - ELEVEN years after she won the title for the first time! :p i'll miss you

anton
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:31 PM
i think this would be ASV winning Roland Garros in 1989 and falling out on the clay and getting dirty and then getting up to celebrate even though this ruined my fav, steffi graf's 2nd GRAND SLAM.

Also I love it when all of a sudden ASV screams "VAMOS!!!"

Keith
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:13 PM
I liked when ASV tok steffi;s wimbledon plate.,...very funny!

slydevil6142
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:18 PM
her retirement this si the best news i get from her .. obviuolsy nto a fan ..however she did have a great career and i wish her the best of luck :wavey:

marsha
Nov 14th, 2002, 05:40 PM
I just want to add that I have *most* of the above-mentioned messages on tape and I am willing to share them (catch me soon while I am still in this generous mood! *LOL*)

Anton, btw, you will be happy to know I just purchased a dual-deck VCR so *finally* I can tape you some copies! :)

wongqks
Nov 14th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by janie
Welcome, Kirt! :)

My very favorite Arantxa moment was when her big heart caused her to publicly APOLOGIZE for beating Monica after the 1998 French Open final! And she meant it! What a sweetheart. :hearts:

The crowd was understandably pro-Monica that day -- she had just lost her beloved father -- but they embraced Arantxa after that endearing victory speech. :kiss:

I agree, I will never forget it when she say.

'I am sorry I beat you.' OMG that was one of the most emotional final in Grand Slam history

Julian
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:40 PM
ITA! Arantxa is such a classy woman..she also made another comment in the 96 final after losing to Graf at the French Open, during the match she was being booed at and the crowd was definitely pro-graf..but in the award ceremony she gave credit torwards Steffi, and fighting back in tears said:

"Even though the French crowd wasn't with me, I will always love you"

Class act all the way! :)

Double Fault
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:50 PM
So many memories of Arantxa. My lasting memory of her was on Wimbledon's Center Court in 1989. Don't know what round it was but she was playing Raffaela Reggi. ASV was down a matchpoint and saved it by playing a dropshot. It was such a great match. I always thought about this match when I saw Arantxa in the future. Especially at Wimbledon.

It's hard to believe that we will see her no more. :(