PDA

View Full Version : WWW: Peak Dokic vs. Peak Lucic

SV_Fan
Dec 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Recently watched some then and now highlights of the two on YT, I was shocked at how similar nearly identical they played. I know Dokic was ranked higher but does necessarily mean she was better than Lucic ?

Who would win if both were at their best ???

Sammo
Dec 24th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Good one! I'd say peak Lucic because at her very best she's a monster. Graf even said back in the 90's that she could become the best tennis player of all time :tape:

Sabinator.
Dec 24th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I've never seen Peak Lucic... :unsure:

Sammo
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I've never seen Peak Lucic... :unsure:

This is the best that there's in youtube

KrF7VAf_Koc

JJXVyqNZSAk and parts 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

atominside
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:08 PM
i didnt know Lucic was such a good player

Slutiana
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Dokic.

Smitten
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Jelena.

Lucic is local.

BartoliBabes
Dec 24th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Peak Dokic

Dominic
Dec 25th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Dokic

$uricate
Dec 25th, 2011, 10:13 AM
If any player with an all-out low percentage game decided to go for everything all the time they are bound to have one match where the play absolute GOATWAD.

It would only be one match though, and the rest of the time would be a mess - like both of these girls careers.

Steven.
Dec 25th, 2011, 11:23 AM
If any player with an all-out low percentage game decided to go for everything all the time they are bound to have one match where the play absolute GOATWAD.

It would only be one match though, and the rest of the time would be a mess - like both of these girls careers.

That's so wrong, especially comparing someone who has never cracked the top 30 to someone who reached close tot he top of the rankings when there were countless brilliant talents around as well as ending two consecutive years in the top 10, but we all know what derailed her career though.

Jelena Dokic was a brilliant player in her first career (for lack of better words), had deep runs in multiple big tournaments, had many big wins including over then world no. 1 Martina Hingis in the infamous first round of her debut Wimbledon run to reach the QF. She reached Wimbledon SF the following year and won 2 tier 1 titles that same year as well. Outside of a couple of bad losses, in grand slams she mostly lost to notable names like Serena, Lindsay, Maria, Martina, Capriati, and Mary. Even during the twilight of her first career before it got completely derailed, she managed to reach the QF and R4 of multiple slams, and scored wins over the likes of then world. no 1 Kim Clijsters.

In her comeback, she had a brilliant run at the 2009 Australian Open, only to injure her ankles (in a similar manner to how Maria injured her ankle at this year's Tokyo match against Kvitova) during the very end of her match against Kleybanova in R4, which derailed her yet again for an extended period of time. She hasn't been able to find that form since.

She has real talent that could've taken her quite far. Her career wasn't a mess until her personal issues took control of her life, and she just ended her tennis commitments then and there for an extended period of time, causing her ranking to rapidly drop as low as it could get until eventually she was unranked.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying she would've nabbed a slam or something, but I'm just saying that she could've been a solid top 20 or 30 player rather than in the lower top 100s or even top 200. She could've had a better career.

Peak Dokic > Peak Lucic, no question about it.

Papillon.
Dec 25th, 2011, 11:48 AM
That's so wrong, especially comparing someone who has never cracked the top 30 to someone who reached close tot he top of the rankings when there were countless brilliant talents around as well as ending two consecutive years in the top 10, but we all know what derailed her career though.

Jelena Dokic was a brilliant player in her first career (for lack of better words), had deep runs in multiple big tournaments, had many big wins including over then world no. 1 Martina Hingis in the infamous first round of her debut Wimbledon run to reach the QF. She reached Wimbledon SF the following year and won 2 tier 1 titles that same year as well. Outside of a couple of bad losses, in grand slams she mostly lost to notable names like Serena, Lindsay, Maria, Martina, Capriati, and Mary. Even during the twilight of her first career before it got completely derailed, she managed to reach the QF and R4 of multiple slams, and scored wins over the likes of then world. no 1 Kim Clijsters.

In her comeback, she had a brilliant run at the 2009 Australian Open, only to injure her ankles (in a similar manner to how Maria injured her ankle at this year's Tokyo match against Kvitova) during the very end of her match against Kleybanova in R4, which derailed her yet again for an extended period of time. She hasn't been able to find that form since.

She has real talent that could've taken her quite far. Her career wasn't a mess until her personal issues took control of her life, and she just ended her tennis commitments then and there for an extended period of time, causing her ranking to rapidly drop as low as it could get until eventually she was unranked.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying she would've nabbed a slam or something, but I'm just saying that she could've been a solid top 20 or 30 player rather than in the lower top 100s or even top 200. She could've had a better career.

Peak Dokic > Peak Lucic, no question about it.

I agree with all of your post except for the bolded area. It was kind of evident throughout the 09 AO that she wasn't necessarily match-fit (or rather, tournament-fit). I feel like she was greatly inspired by the crowd and the way she gritted out each of her wins until that quarterfinal (which she came very close to taking to a 5-5 final set, ankle injury or not) was greatly fueled by adrenaline. The injury was minor and didn't stick with her after that, but she had lackluster results after she actually began touring (until the injuries started up again at about the clay season, where she was on her way to beating Dementieva at Roland Garros before RE-injuring herself).

I wish she could find that form again, and I definitely agree that injury is THE reason why she hasn't (apart from her glorious moments throughout the beginning of this year) and that the 09 AO is proof of what she can do injury-free, but I wouldn't use it as the greatest example of what Dokic is like when she's ready to go from tournament to tournament with match practice under her belt. I wouldn't call it a 'fluke' but it wasn't surprising that she failed to replicate that form for the remainder of the year.

tennismaster8820
Dec 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM
This comparison isn't fair at all because Mirjana never developed any longer career.
We'll never know how her peak form would be like if she had normal tennis development.
All that it is certain she would most certainly be great player with much higher best ranking than 32.

What she shown in her teenage years was already very very impressive, such power which Dokic never could produce.

Steffi Graf said she never played against any player who hit consistantly harder than Lucic.

MiLaN_89
Dec 25th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Dokic

Jelena from 2001/2002 ,when she reached number 4,just behind sisters and Lindsay,would beat Mirjana at her best for sure.

JJ's biatch
Dec 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Dokic.