PDA

View Full Version : If Pavs got fit and learned to serve

Potato
Dec 24th, 2011, 06:21 PM
what would her ranking be? i personally think that pavs has more potential than wozniacki. :shrug: she's gotten to the top 15 with what seems to be minimal off court training and through talent alone.

Batemant
Dec 24th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Oh god, big what ifs, but I'd love to see this happen and see Baby at #1, even if only briefly.

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 24th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I agree, she would be the GOAT :drool:

Anyway, she actually tried to change her serve motion during the Baku tournament, but the result was over +20 Double faults :o

And I guess she doesn't really want to make the effort to get fitter :lol:

I think fitness would be more important than the serve, IMO a lot of WTA players nowadays can reach the top without a serve, but she won't get anywhere if she isn't in a better shape :sad:

So I hope she figures it out and tries to change it. She's the future of russian tennis, especially since all the other russians are going to kazakhstan :help:

Berlin_Calling
Dec 24th, 2011, 06:49 PM
As said, Nastia has loads of raw talent that has gotten her to the top 15, but she will not be able to take it to the next step without a proper work ethic. She has beautiful groundstrokes, which really exhibit her natural feel and timing, but this alone is not enough to win Grand Slams. I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of work she has put in / progress she has made during the offseason because 2012 could be her year. I just hope she is hungry enough (no pun intended) to fulfill her potential by trading in 'bakery' for the gym because she is quickly becoming my favorite 1990s girl.

dsanders06
Dec 24th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I might be deluded, but I'm really hoping / kind of expecting she's going to show up in Australia in GREAT shape. She really is potentially the second-best of Generation Suck behind Kvitova, but I think she's going to have to make a major push this season... it feels like she's been pretty static for about 18 months now.

Yoncé
Dec 24th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Sean.
Dec 24th, 2011, 07:35 PM
She's the only one of the 'younger generation' that I can see giving an challenging an inform Kvitova. She's got to decide she wants it & work for it though!

bandabou
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:21 PM
If Pav ever gets in shape, she and Kvitova are gonna rule once the older elite retires. NOBODY else of generation suck has any hope whatsover of challenging her and Kvitova.

cowsonice
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I don't see the "talent" in Pavs like some posters do. I think she's "talented" in this era because she's among the few people who have naturally clean groundstrokes (to me her BH is a bit wonky with the unfinished follow through), but she has a low-A, usually B-level game of aggressiveness, and she's bit headcasey, true to her Russian roots.

Though I'd still support her; she has a good enough game to watch on TV :shrug:

Mynarco
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I hope she can win a non-MM title

Slutiana
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I don't see the "talent" in Pavs like some posters do. I think she's "talented" in this era because she's among the few people who have naturally clean groundstrokes (to me her BH is a bit wonky with the unfinished follow through), but she has a low-A, usually B-level game of aggressiveness, and she's bit headcasey, true to her Russian roots.

Though I'd still support her; she has a good enough game to watch on TV :shrug:
Yup.

She hits a nice ball, but she's erratic, slow, mentally weak, quite brainless, poor server and not even a particularly big ballstriker. Whenever she comes up against another big hitter, she almost always struggles to go blow for blow with them.

And even when she wasn't averaging 10DFs per match, her serve just isn't good enough for someone who plays as she does.

Spring Pools
Dec 25th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Yup.

She hits a nice ball, but she's erratic, slow, mentally weak, quite brainless, poor server and not even a particularly big ballstriker. Whenever she comes up against another big hitter, she almost always struggles to go blow for blow with them.

And even when she wasn't averaging 10DFs per match, her serve just isn't good enough for someone who plays as she does.

Big hitter meaning the strength of her groundstrokes or the size of her belly? :)

Stonerpova
Dec 25th, 2011, 03:03 AM
She's got kick-ass groundstrokes and she moves well for a big girl. She doesn't even need to work on her serve, if she gets into shape she's top 10 without a doubt.

sammy01
Dec 25th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Yup.

this.

the only thing going for her is her shots are slightly rounded like kim and li na's she she can get width on them and hit round the outside of the ball. however she lacks the pace on her shots and is just a horrible mover.

Kəv.
Dec 25th, 2011, 03:11 AM
She doesn't need to get fit :shrug:
Look at Serena.

Potato
Dec 25th, 2011, 03:19 AM
She doesn't need to get fit :shrug:
Look at Serena.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not :help:

keithb1961
Dec 25th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Maybe top 4. I dont think fitness and serve would be enough to get her to number 1. She needs consistency.....

duhcity
Dec 25th, 2011, 04:25 AM
She's top 10 material for sure, and will be the bridge between the old Russians and the rising (strong) generation of Russians

dokicz09
Dec 25th, 2011, 07:13 AM
If Pavs got fit and learned to serve ==> she won't be Pavs anymore:confused:

OsloErik
Dec 25th, 2011, 07:43 AM
She's a (very) poor man's Azarenka. Not a #1 player.

cowsonice
Dec 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM

I disagree. Vika's strokes have a lot less pace than Pavs'.

Keadz
Dec 25th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I've always been under the impression the Anastasia was a bit of a counter puncher back in her junior days, and that she has been trying to beef up her game since she hit seniors.

I think she made the transition pretty well. She seriously has some gorgeous ground strokes and when she is thinking on court she is a very, very good player. I can see her being a regular top 5 player in the future. She has good hands, decent volley's when she ventures to the net, capable of mixing it up, comfortabe changing the direction of the ball. I see no reason why she can't win a grandslam if she gets fit.

evana
Dec 25th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I dont think having a poor serve is something that prevents from getting into top10 these days. She needs to get fit for sure tough. Shes a good ballstriker but some people ovverate her too much, saying that "shes the only one that can challenge Kvitova" is a bit over the top, because so far she hasnt even been able to challenge Wozniacki (h2h 0-5, not a single set won) and Azarenka (0-3), so how shes gonna challenge Kvitova?

ExtremespeedX
Dec 25th, 2011, 10:09 AM
If doesn't exist in sports. If Pavlychenkova can't serve, then she's not as talented as you think.

borrowedheaven
Dec 25th, 2011, 11:38 AM
this.

the only thing going for her is her shots are slightly rounded like kim and li na's she she can get width on them and hit round the outside of the ball. however she lacks the pace on her shots and is just a horrible mover.

This is not true. Pavs can generate an lot of pace on both sides. I think her problem was/is that she hasn't really sorted out her game. At one time in a match she's constantly trying to counterpunch, at another time she's an aggressive baseliner (which is the way to go for her, IMO.)When she finds consistency within a match, she's definitely a force to be reckoned with.

And she is not a horrible mover. She's actually quite fast and has a good court sense. Of course, she isn't as fit as she should be, but even when being so, she's a more than decent mover.

Vikapower
Dec 25th, 2011, 01:40 PM
This is not true. Pavs can generate an lot of pace on both sides.

For example the match against Alizé Cornet, Fed Cup, from the second set... she really has a lot of class [...] all the (easy) angles she's able to get also, something I most appreciate in her game.

what would her ranking be? i personally think that pavs has more potential than wozniacki. :shrug: she's gotten to the top 15 with what seems to be minimal off court training and through talent alone.

I really love to watch Nastya play, there's an aesthetic she has when she strikes the ball that pertains almost to a certain form of art... I really hope she has a good and definite breakthrough now... because she's undoubtedly after Petra the most naturally skilled girl of the young generation. Fingers-crossed.

I don't think her movement is even that of a problem but her serve, even with lightening quick speed her second serve especially is/was very mediocre. Her first serve has a lot of pop when she gets it in.

In RG vs. Rena for example I was really surprised she was getting regular 170 km/h plus on that first serve... :lol: Gotta admit that's even better than Vika who barely even stumbles over the 160's.

I dont think having a poor serve is something that prevents from getting into top10 these days. She needs to get fit for sure tough. Shes a good ballstriker but some people ovverate her too much, saying that "shes the only one that can challenge Kvitova" is a bit over the top, because so far she hasnt even been able to challenge Wozniacki (h2h 0-5, not a single set won) and Azarenka (0-3), so how shes gonna challenge Kvitova?

For Nastya to challenge Wozniacki she ALREADY first and for most has to put the efforts to beat the Dane... losing the first set and then abandoning every hopes is certainly not way.

That win Nastya had against Francesca Schiavone and also Vera Zvonareva I really hope is a sign that she has advanced a bit more in composing herself... typically the styles of top players who make you work hard to beat them (esp. Schiavone), something Nastya showed many times in the past that she was not ready to do.

cowsonice
Dec 25th, 2011, 05:55 PM
And she is not a horrible mover. She's actually quite fast and has a good court sense. Of course, she isn't as fit as she should be, but even when being so, she's a more than decent mover.

I somewhat agree. Her subpar court positioning at times makes her movement look bad.

Coconut91
Dec 25th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I think she made the transition pretty well. She seriously has some gorgeous ground strokes and when she is thinking on court she is a very, very good player. I can see her being a regular top 5 player in the future. She has good hands, decent volley's when she ventures to the net, capable of mixing it up, comfortabe changing the direction of the ball. I see no reason why she can't win a grandslam if she gets fit.

Agreed.

I really love to watch Nastya play, there's an aesthetic she has when she strikes the ball that pertains almost to a certain form of art... I really hope she has a good and definite breakthrough now... because she's undoubtedly after Petra the most naturally skilled girl of the young generation. Fingers-crossed.

I don't think her movement is even that of a problem but her serve, even with lightening quick speed her second serve especially is/was very mediocre. Her first serve has a lot of pop when she gets it in.

In RG vs. Rena for example I was really surprised she was getting regular 170 km/h plus on that first serve... :lol: Gotta admit that's even better than Vika who barely even stumbles over the 160's.

Agreed. Nastia has to get fitter but she's a good mover. Being "chunky" doesn't necessarily make you slow. She isn't. IMO the priority is the serve. Her first serve is already good when it gets in. The thing is she can have a really good serve, while Radwanska's or Vika's don't seem to have that potential, for example.

Nastia can improve, and get things sorted out, just like Petra did this season. Of course she can challenge her, she has beaten Petra before. Remember that only a year ago, when Petra was Nastia's age, almost nobody thought she could be even close to being the GOAT of her generation. It is now that she's treated as such. Reality is things can change and Petra, as good as she is, is not invincible. Yet. :lol:

Players are different and develop differently, at different ages, so why couldn't Nastia challenge anyone? She has talent and age on her side.

I just hope she keeps working hard like she says she's doing, and reaches her potential, whether it is in 2013 or in 2019. If everyone played to their potential, those head to heads would be very different :sigh:

sammy01
Dec 25th, 2011, 08:48 PM
This is not true. Pavs can generate an lot of pace on both sides. I think her problem was/is that she hasn't really sorted out her game. At one time in a match she's constantly trying to counterpunch, at another time she's an aggressive baseliner (which is the way to go for her, IMO.)When she finds consistency within a match, she's definitely a force to be reckoned with.

compared to kvitova, li, stosur, serena, kim she lacks pace on her shots, if you aren't going to hit that hard you better be able to move like vera, fran or woz. the only player who for me lacks both raw pace on her groundstrokes and isn't that great a mover is vika, but she has become all about consistent crosscourt hitting and trying to take a the ball earlier.

she is a horrible mover, she lacks explosive footspeed and her movement around central or short balls is often shocking. she misses so many shots because she is just not in the right position.

If she ever makes top 5 i would be shocked, she to me is like a new penetta, not fast enough or hits hard enough to challenge the very best.

Bismarck.
Dec 25th, 2011, 09:57 PM

I kind of see that more every time she plays. I think she hits a nice ball and can do everything you'd expect from a decent ballstriker (good depth, control, the ability to take the ball out of the air and change direction) but she doesn't have all that much power and can't construct a point all that well either, plus she's prone to making the most dumb errors in waves given that her groundies just aren't all that safe. I don't think her movement is that much of a worry for her given that she can scramble well when she needs to (she was good at doing that in her RG match vs. Serena IIRC) and she's never going to be the most agile athlete out there.

Also, even if she is 300000x more talented than Wozniacki or whatever, she's still going to lose 9 out of 10 matches they play because she seems to struggle against anybody she's forced to hit through (like 95% of the Tour), which is a problem Kvitova won't be having as she just has a crazy level of firepower.

Viktymise
Dec 25th, 2011, 10:22 PM

How? A very poor man's Azarenka wouldn't even be top 100.

She hits a bigger ball than Azarenka and her FH is much better.

Sally Todd
Dec 25th, 2011, 11:32 PM
How? A very poor man's Azarenka wouldn't even be top 100.

She hits a bigger ball than Azarenka and her FH is much better.

I also think she hits bigger than Azarenka. She was punishing the ball against Serena.

With her build, Nastya seems more like she could become this generation's Kuznetsova if she improved her fitness and serve. Her technique's different though. Her backhand is really beautiful when it's working.

Pavs lost a three-set match against Kvitova back at the beginning of 2011, and looking at the highlights it was a very hard fought match, almost as if they were struggling to assert themselves and prove their dominance to start off the year.

In a way Kvitova's victory in that match set the tone for her three-set wins in 2011. Aside from that crazy third set against Li at Roland Garros, Kvitova was steely in the third set of clutch matches.

I wonder how Nastya's year and commitment might have been if she'd won that match. Hopefully she'll lay off the croissants during the holidays and start 2012 with some good results.

RobinT83
Dec 25th, 2011, 11:59 PM
To be honest, she's my favourite brainless ball basher, one of the few that i respect (i dislike many of them: Garbagesova,Crapneki,Mugzai,Hypeges,Lisucki etc...)
She's also, in terms of raw power, ball striking abilities and even movement, a poor's man Kleybanova.

dsanders06
Dec 26th, 2011, 01:01 AM
compared to kvitova, li, stosur, serena, kim she lacks pace on her shots, if you aren't going to hit that hard you better be able to move like vera, fran or woz. the only player who for me lacks both raw pace on her groundstrokes and isn't that great a mover is vika, but she has become all about consistent crosscourt hitting and trying to take a the ball earlier.

I don't agree with this at all, I certainly think she's capable of generating as much pace on average as Kim (and she certainly exceeds Stosur in the groundstroke pace department, though she like every current woman will never match her in the weight of shot department). She has SUPERB natural timing and can really smack the ball when she wants to...the problem is that (due to her mental weakness thus far) she often lacks the confidence to play in the ultra-aggressive way that would put her to the top, and has struggled to settle down to a consistent match-in-match-out strategy.

Also, as others have said, she's actually a decent mover even as it is - she's certainly quicker shifting it from A to B than Petkovic, for example (though Petko has better stamina) - and she could presumably be even quicker if she got in better shape. Though I don't think she's ever going to be a GREAT mover.

sammy01
Dec 26th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I don't agree with this at all, I certainly think she's capable of generating as much pace on average as Kim (and she certainly exceeds Stosur in the groundstroke pace department, though she like every current woman will never match her in the weight of shot department). She has SUPERB natural timing and can really smack the ball when she wants to...the problem is that (due to her mental weakness thus far) she often lacks the confidence to play in the ultra-aggressive way that would put her to the top, and has struggled to settle down to a consistent match-in-match-out strategy.

Also, as others have said, she's actually a decent mover even as it is - she's certainly quicker shifting it from A to B than Petkovic, for example (though Petko has better stamina) - and she could presumably be even quicker if she got in better shape. Though I don't think she's ever going to be a GREAT mover.

how hows she got a reputation as a mentally weak player? she wins more matches than she loses that are tight. there are plenty of much weaker minded players than her who go much futher in the game due to their talent.

pavs has always been overrated on this forum due to her breaking through at a young age (basically she won because she had her head screwed on from such a young age). to me 10 to 20 will always be her ranking and she will be there more because she is composed than because of her actual ball striking.

Corswandt
Dec 26th, 2011, 01:14 AM

Babyfat hits a big ball. Her problem is that her wide, ornate swings prevent her from taking the ball early (see how far behind the baseline she stands to return serve), and hitting from far behind the baseline minimises the effectiveness of her ground game as a whole.

dsanders06
Dec 26th, 2011, 01:21 AM
how hows she got a reputation as a mentally weak player? she wins more matches than she loses that are tight. there are plenty of much weaker minded players than her who go much futher in the game due to their talent.

But a lot of those are matches that wouldn't even have got that close in the first place if she wasn't mentally weak. Take her match against Schiavone at the US Open - Pavs was SO much better than her in that match that she should've won something like 6-3 6-2, but she kept having mental lapses when she had leads and so it turned into a 3-hour slugathon. And then after such an unnecessarily draining match, she has little energy left for the rest of the tournament.

Babyfat hits a big ball. Her problem is that her wide, ornate swings prevent her from taking the ball early (see how far behind the baseline she stands to return serve), and hitting from far behind the baseline minimises the effectiveness of her ground game as a whole.

I do agree with that to some extent, which is why clay is certainly where she has the most potential (though I wouldn't be surprised if she eventually has success at the Australian and/or US Open too).

sammy01
Dec 26th, 2011, 01:28 AM
But a lot of those are matches that wouldn't even have got that close in the first place if she wasn't mentally weak. Take her match against Schiavone at the US Open - Pavs was SO much better than her in that match that she should've won something like 6-3 6-2, but she kept having mental lapses when she had leads and so it turned into a 3-hour slugathon. And then after such an unnecessarily draining match, she has little energy left for the rest of the tournament.

so she out scraps and out fights one of the tours best at this in fran yet she is still mentally weak? i can very rarely recall pavs ever lose it on court and she has certainly won her fair share of matches where she had no right to (that final vs vesnina and against dani, the straight sets match where she served 25 df's ect). to me she has many flaws and problems with her game yet she stays composed and pretty much focussed through it all.

Slutiana
Dec 26th, 2011, 03:03 AM
If doesn't exist in sports. If Pavlychenkova can't serve, then she's not as talented as you think.
Indeed. And this applies to so many similar threads and posts on tennisforum.

Mikey.
Dec 26th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Her game doesn't really seem that impressive to me. Yes she's a big girl who hits a heavy ball but her groundstrokes are kind of funky. They have this weird fragile look to them like they could break down at any time. Also half the time it seems like she even know where the ball is going to go, especially when she's playing someone who is hitting hard and deep at her.

Potato
Dec 26th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Does everyone think Pavs is just a brainless ballbasher? Sure, she has a lot of pace on her ground strokes from her fantastic natural timing, but she plays with drop shots and angles a lot. (and sometimes it gets her to some trouble). I don't lump her into the aggressive ballbasher category. She is like Kvitova, with less emphasis on the raw power and more on the point construction.

One thing I've noticed is that she gets wrong footed very easily and throws up the useless one handed slice.

C. Drone
Dec 26th, 2011, 12:31 PM

this is so wrong, just hurting my eyes. :sobbing:

Serve is not the biggest (or the only) problem, she had really bad serve only the summer (Baku), later was okay-ish.
Sorting out her gameplan and stop acting like a counterpuncher or grinder should be priority. If she doesnt know (cant decide) what she should doing, whole thing worth nothing.
Then improve fitness, return, serve, etc...

The Dawntreader
Dec 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM
She is a lovely ball-striker. Some of the angles and shapings she gets on the ball are fabulous.

Like Corswandt said though, her wide swings, aided with her lumpy footwork make for a bad combination. Her shot selection is reckless to say the least, and her serve just isn't effective enough at this level. Without a potent serve, it's hard to play the kind of tennis she tries too.

Corswandt
Dec 26th, 2011, 02:19 PM
this is so wrong, just hurting my eyes. :sobbing:

Mr. Erik is somewhat out of touch (and blissfully unaware of it) nowadays.

She is a lovely ball-striker. Some of the angles and shapings she gets on the ball are fabulous.

Like Corswandt said though, her wide swings, aided with her lumpy footwork make for a bad combination. Her shot selection is reckless to say the least, and her serve just isn't effective enough at this level. Without a potent serve, it's hard to play the kind of tennis she tries too.

Good point on bad shot selection.

Babyfat's serve can be highly effective though - on fast hardcourts.

I suppose you could say that at the moment she has a slow court ground game and a fast court serve.

Smitten
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Chunk is capable of creating space. She can lost a bit of her timing on the FH side, but sometimes it accidentally helps her.

I think if she could take the ball a little earlier it would be okay. Obviously she needs to get fitter, slimmer, and work on her second serve.

I think seeing her getting trashed by Venus in Dubai and then later beating her back-to-back weeks in Asia is a good highlight of what she can do if she develops. I think she can handle herself off the ground adequately enough, but the transitions and choices she does in the forecourt are awful.

Potato
Jan 5th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Took her a while to make these improvements :hysteric: She struggles with shots at the feet and her second serve is still nothing. But THANK GOD she improved her fitness

Setsuna.
Jan 5th, 2013, 09:47 AM

:facepalm:

tim2502
Jan 5th, 2013, 09:50 AM
because she got a boyfriend?

C. Drone
Jan 5th, 2013, 10:32 AM
this is still too good :crying2:

1 wasted year and week later I can see positives in this department. In Brisbane she looked pretty good sticking to the baseline and taking some ball pretty early.
Her overall positioning, footwork still need more work.

Also her serve looked good, except in SF. Even in final she served okay, its just that Serena was there.

doomsday
Jan 5th, 2013, 10:33 AM
I disagree. Vika's strokes have a lot less pace than Pavs'.

Exactly, stupid comparison.

Corswandt
Jan 5th, 2013, 01:27 PM
this is still too good :crying2:

That was posted after the Toria vs Babyfat match in Rome 2011, in which Babyfat's rally ball was consistently bigger than Toria's in terms of raw pace. Mr. Erik became quite a comedian once he began defending Wozniacka for trolling purposes.

lupojohn
Jan 5th, 2013, 04:38 PM
She's the only one of the 'younger generation' that I can see giving an challenging an inform Kvitova.

Tend to agree, but I could see Sloane challenging them in 2-3 years time.

lupojohn
Jan 5th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Whenever she comes up against another big hitter, she almost always struggles to go blow for blow with them.

Just to disprove this theory, even if it's 1 match:

Brisbane International R2: Pavlyuchenkova def Kvitova 6-4 7-5.

Simugna Help
Jan 5th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Tend to agree, but I could see Sloane challenging them in 2-3 years time.

Yay at hyping up players who have yet to score a top 10 win.

lupojohn
Jan 5th, 2013, 04:42 PM
The serve definitely needs to improve. As fatass from France has shown, you don't need to be in shape to make it into the Top 10. I could definitely see Anastasia in the Top 10 if she just keeps working hard.

lupojohn
Jan 5th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Yay at hyping up players who have yet to score a top 10 win.

I said 2-3 years. You don't think she'll get a Top 10 win in that time? Come on.

Simugna Help
Jan 5th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I said 2-3 years. You don't think she'll get a Top 10 win in that time? Come on.
Well, it's certainly possible, but scoring one or several top 10 wins is far different from 'being one of the only 2 players able to______'.

The serve definitely needs to improve. As fatass from France has shown, you don't need to be in shape to make it into the Top 10. I could definitely see Anastasia in the Top 10 if she just keeps working hard.
Bartoli has excess fat but she seems fit overall, Nastya OTOH looked very unfit. It's good that she shed off some weight.