PDA

View Full Version : Monica with her 'Sanex Hero of the Year' Trophy

ttaM
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Not sure if this was posted. The award was given to her during the LA Tournament.

http://www.monicaseles.de/2002/masters02/02masterssanexhero00.jpg

irma
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:24 PM
couldn't they have found a nicer trophy :eek:

Monica_Rules
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:39 PM
YEAH MONICA:D

"Topaz"
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:05 AM
My salute to the 'Sanex Hero of the Year', Seles.

tennischick
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:09 AM
what exactly were the criteria for this honor? difficult to imagine that Serena didn't qualify...;)

"Topaz"
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:49 AM
I don't know what the criteria were, TC, but she's the bridge between the old and the new crops, the currently oldest top 10, the most respected tennis diva, the creator of the women's power game (on both sides), the one who gave the grunt its appeal, ... shall I continue? :cool:

Just let her be the hero of the year.

vs1
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:31 AM
I was there and Monica was very touched by the award. She was very sweet. And I think that she did truly deserve it. She deserves the Lifetime Hero Award!

It was all done by online voting, so it's basically a popularity content, but Monica did say that it meant as much to her as her grand slam trophies.

The trophy itself is hideous. I saw it up close when Monica gave me an autograph and answered my question to her and it really looks like one of those things you win at a carnival. You would think the WTA would have something nicer for the hero of the year. Oh well. It's the WTA...what can you expect?!

hhx
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Is there any price money for this honor besides the trophy?

Williams Rulez
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Boy, what an awful trophy... :rolleyes:

Congrats Monica! You absolutely deserve it! :kiss:

yollenda
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:50 AM
http://heroes.sanex.net/bouquets/25/photos_17.jpg

GO MONICA:D

kfh_9118
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Congrats Monica :)

Nina_rus
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:47 AM
:D I voted for her :)

auntie janie
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:15 PM
I would have, to, if I had known about it! :)

Thanks for posting the pics, GoMonica! Moncia looks so swwet. :) and thanks vs1 for your in-person contribution. :)

Monica@53
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:45 PM
god she looks beautiful!!!! i actually think the trophy is kinda cute in a very kitsch kind of way ;) ;)

Kirt12255
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Couldn't have gone to a better ambassador for what she has created in Womens Tennis..

I think sometimes we forget about a the "True Champions" and delve into the world of sponsorships sometimes.

Monica revolutionised the womens game by taking serves and sending them back with interest.

Such a deserving winner....congrats Monica :-)

ps...I think when you have more silver-ware than Buckingham Palace...this one might stand out a bit :-)

Kirt

King Aaron
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Monica :D

but the trophy.. :confused: :(

Messenger
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:24 PM
I don't think Monica is the hero of the year. But if you consider the past ten years, no one even comes close to her in deserving an award for heroism.

wave
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Hi Ceasar: How do you define hero? By winning 3 slams? I agree that this in not bad as result of being a professional tennis, but hero is more than that. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to say that Serena is not able to win that trophy, maybe she will do it next year, who knows...

But the internet users decided that hero is more suitable for Monica at least for this year. Who could argue about that? You? ;)

Keith
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:04 PM
The criteria was that the fans voted....and it shows that Monica is more popular