PDA

View Full Version : Serena's Best Grand Slam Comeback?

fedhingis67
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Apologies if this belongs in the player thread.

1. 2003 Australian Open v. Clijsters [Down 1-5 in the third, 2 match points at 2-5]
http://youtu.be/raQGMVv3d0o

2. 2005 Australian Open v. Sharapova [Down 3 Match Points at 4-5 in the third]
http://youtu.be/afrzmPxXUEA

3. 2009 Wimbledon v. Dementieva [Down Match Point at 4-5 in the third]
http://youtu.be/yuDUNVCas0w

4. 2010 Australian Open v. Azarenka [Down a set and 0-4]
http://youtu.be/AM-dKKakqUc

claypova
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:36 AM
2009 Wimbledon wasn't really a comeback :lol: they were both evenly matched throughout the whole match

of the ones i've watched, 2010 AO :shrug:

Bonfire
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:37 AM
2003 AO vs. Clijsters

JRena
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I love the AO v Sharapova comeback. Maria was screaming her lungs out on those match points hoping she'd hit a winner.

Serena had something to prove considering she lost to Maria in wimbledon.

Mynarco
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:38 AM
2003 or 2010.

Pops Maellard
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:41 AM

fedhingis67
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I was wondering if that one really belonged. I included it because Serena was playing from behind for most of the match and was down match point, so yeah :)

L'Enfant Sauvage
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:55 AM
2003 and 2010 were most impressive in that they were huge deficits to somehow win from. From a fan's perspective, at 1-5 in the third, or 4-6 0-4 you're already mentally prepared to see the next match. I remember she even said the only thing that kept her going at that point in the 03 Oz SF was that she "didn't want to lose 1-6. Then 2-6. etc..." 2010 was a more impressive display of tennis from Serena though, she started clocking aces and return winners like it was child's play.

2005 was impressive because not only did she come back from nearly losing in straights in the second, but those last two MP saves in the third :drool: Match quality was pretty bad for the first two and a half sets though, but toward the end it picked up. And yeah, 2009 wasn't a comeback, but a gutsy MP save nonetheless. That said, those three AO comebacks are all different, so I'm going with the invisible "Hard to say." option.

Pops Maellard
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Yeah, I was wondering if that one really belonged. I included it because Serena was playing from behind for most of the match and was down match point, so yeah :)
I think Dementieva might've had BPs to serve for the match at one stage as well, so I think it's an acceptable option ;).

Stonerpova
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:04 AM
2010 was the best comeback in terms of the match, because Serena played a ghastly set and a half and then was suddenly cracking winners at will. And plus it's always a pleasure to see Azarenka lose.

2003 was the best comeback in terms of the greater scope of things. She had so much pressure on her to complete the Serena Slam and the fact that she gutted that match out is pretty amazing.

Renalicious
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:04 AM
2009 was a comeback because she was down a set and 3-1, (I think) in the second set. :)

Anyway, I chose 2005 AO.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:05 AM
2003 AO :yeah:

shoryuken
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:06 AM
2003 was the best for me. There would be no Serena Slam had she lost that match. 2005 is a close 2nd.

casholic
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:21 AM
AO 2010 was the most epic imo. I was even conceding defeat when almost out of nowhere Serena started to kill it. The Wimbledon match is worth mentioning because of the amazing MP save and because it's probably the best match of the last 3 years.

dsanders06
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I'm sure we had this thread just recently :scratch:

Anyway, Wimbledon '09 was the highest-quality of those matches, the AO03 was most impressive in terms of what that win ennabled her to do next ('Serena Slam').

Steven.
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Most important for her career: AO03
Best quality match from both: Wimbledon 09
Serena upping her level by a DRASTIC amount to make the comeback: AO10

Stonerpova
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:50 AM
2009 was a comeback because she was down a set and 3-1, (I think) in the second set. :)

Anyway, I chose 2005 AO.

That and the fact that she saved a match point.

ToopsTame
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:08 AM
2005 vs. Sharapova was the best and most dramatic. Sharapova had beaten her the last two times they had played and it was looking like 2005 was going to be the year of her ascent. The commentators were fawning over Sharapova's technique on her serve and her unfaltering mental resolve throughout the match and were ready to call it when she had those match points. Serena then:
1) Snatched victory from the jaws of defeat
2) Against the anointed one who was supposed to be the new queen
3) Against the player who had embarrassed her at Wimbledon the year before
4) Even though she was down match points against Ms. Mental Fortitude and Ms. Unbreakable Serve

To add to it all, that match really destroyed Sharapova's confidence for a while and she did not get into slam contention form again until late 2006. Before that match people were hyping up Sharapova as a potential all time great at the same level as Serena/Venus/Justine, after that match she became much more likely to be in the second rung of great players.

2003 was close and had many similar factors. Kim had beaten Serena at the YEC the last time they met, this was the last major Serena needed to complete her Serena slam, losing from 5-1 up was unheard of, if Kim had won that match, would she have got over her headcase issues the rest of the year? In the end though it was not quite as important as 2005 to me. Maybe it was because Kim was too nice and her rivalry with Serena was not as exciting as the one with Maria.
2009 wasn't a comeback and Serena was always going to be a better crunchtime player than Dementieva.
2010 was just the obviously more talented player deciding to show up at 4-6 0-4 down. The match was always on Serena's racquet because the great difference in ability between the two players. Azarenka didn't really collapse, she was just shown up by a superior player.

Kairi
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:19 AM
AO 2010 DEFINITELY..i have never left a Serena match mid way, until that one...i swear, i was so close to losing it (especially after that Venus match) :sobbing: ..went to bed at her 0-4 down in the 2nd set, woke up, and screamed for like 30 mins when i saw she cameback and won on the ESPN ticker :haha:

Stamp Paid
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:24 AM
AO 2003. Every other occasion in this poll was great, but the monumentality of the moment + the deficit she faced against Kim >>>>>>
A true legend.

Leo_DFP
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:39 AM
'03 and '05 comebacks meant a lot, and in similar situations. She had the pressure of the world against Kim with the Serena Slam within sight, and the pressure to fight off the upstart who had beaten her (and her injured sister) for the still-relevant and prestigious YEC. The Maria win was big because it was her first Slam in years but she had lost to Maria the year before in the W and YEC Fs and needed to assert herself. That was the last chance Maria had to stake claim to that rivalry, which is now no longer remotely possible.

Still, I voted for the '10 AO. Kim played a big part in choking '03, and '05 was just a bad match overall even with Serena's heroism on the mps down. But Azarenka had been playing great until all of a sudden Serena turned on her A game out of nowhere and rose to a level of her own; ended up being crucial in that she beat rival Henin for the Slam - thus balancing out their Slam H2H which had been favoring Henin of late and robbing Henin of a post-comeback Slam title.

Serena really is the best mentally. Although she does have lapses like the '11 USO SF where she was so tight, stiff, nervous.

Moveyourfeet
Dec 24th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Easily the 03 AO comeback for me.
Azarenka is not even close to Serena's level so that match was just about Serena finding her form. Once she did, she was swatting Vika's POS serve like a fly.

Dementieva on grass... nothing more needs to be said

Pova at the 05 AO was a very good comeback as well. However, coming back from a 1-5 deficit against Aussie Kim with the pressure of wanting to complete 4 slams in a row, that does it for me.

Maddox
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM

:yeah: ditto

it-girl
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:57 AM
2003 vs Clijsters. Serena was eating Kim's serve for breakfast, lunch & dinner. The 2010 match I really did not feel was a comeback, though the scoreline shows that it was. I say that because I always felt that if Serena started playing her game she would always win that match. It was just a matter of time before it happened and when it did happen, Azarenka had no more answers. Not taking anything away from Azarenka but the match was always on Serena's racket at no point during that match did I feel she could not come back. But the 2003 match could have been over because Kim actually had some match points.

The Dawntreader
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:17 AM
AO '03 or AO '05. There was so much at stake, and for different reasons.

Kəv.
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Would have been a great comeback if she had beaten Stosur at 2010 RG.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:21 AM
2003 Australian Open.

Fighterpova
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:22 AM
2003 :bowdown:
Madusah leading 6-4 3-6 5-1 and having match points and then Serena started to fire off :eek:
GOAT SF and after that she won the SerenaSLam :drool:

alex.2812
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I prefer 2007 Australian Open. She wasn't down matchpoints but she was ranked so far and clearly out of shape. She nearly lost to Petrova and Peer, had to save a setpoint against Vaidisova. So the whole thing and the whole context is better in my opinion.

J4m3ka
Dec 24th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I voted AO 05. The match had one of the best atmospheres I have seen in the WTA over the last decade, both players gritted it out until the end and there was a looming rivalry as Sharapova lead the H2H 2-1.

Linguae^
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM
The most valuable is 2003 Aussie, but the most recognizing is against Maria in 2005.

aloeball
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Serena had lost to Maria on her two pervious occassions. There was so much on the line at the 2005 AO - win or have a 3-0 in a row loss against this new beauty.

Girl stayed strong and survived. This match meant a lot to her.

2003 AO was great too for 4 slams in a row.
2009 Wimbledon - not really a 'comeback'
2010 Girl needed to prove she was the no.1 and her slams were 'legit' so to speak.

mykarma
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM
AO 2010 DEFINITELY..i have never left a Serena match mid way, until that one...i swear, i was so close to losing it (especially after that Venus match) :sobbing: ..went to bed at her 0-4 down in the 2nd set, woke up, and screamed for like 30 mins when i saw she cameback and won on the ESPN ticker :haha:
Both my aunt and my cousin went to sleep and was so pissed off when I called them . :lol:

young_gunner913
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Very close between the AO SF's between Kim & Martha. My pick is 03 AO SF.

2Black
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Didn't Serena have another big comeback against Clijsters at the 1999 US Open ... On her way to beating Seles, Davenport & Hingis for her first slam!

sweetpeas
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Break My Rapture
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Stonerpova
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Didn't Serena have another big comeback against Clijsters at the 1999 US Open ... On her way to beating Seles, Davenport & Hingis for her first slam!

Yep. That was the first of many Clijsters chokes in slams, she was up 5-3 and served for it before completely falling apart.

bandabou
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:14 PM
'03 oz open for historical meaning..but '05 oz open for the effects it had on a potentially great rivalry. Once Serena won that match, that was it..Serena vs Masha never again became a rivalry. Plus the way she saved specially the last two mp's..only true legends can pull those shots off.

In The Zone
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM
If we look at them stand alone, we might come to different answers. However, it's hard to give Serena's later comebacks any value without considering the pure shock value of her original comebacks. We have gotten spoiled by Serena and her comebacks. I remember watching the 10 OZ QF and thinking, Serena can come back. In 2003, when watching the OZ SF, I did not think that. I was devastated and then point by point, game by game, Serena clawed her way back. That forehand volley she hit on Kim's match point in OZ was incredible.

What the highlights don't show in the Azarenka comeback is that Serena was really struggling with her knee. She was making loud grimaces. I vote for that comeback because Azarenka was murdering Serena off the ground and with her return of serve. Somehow, Serena overcame that and her knee. Remember, in the Li SF, Serena could only serve and fought her way through two tiebreaks to win the match.

maddogz48
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:48 PM
'05 Aussie Open. A third loss in a row to Sharapova just had to be prevented and show that Serena was the best.

'03 Aussie Open is a VERY close second as this match allowed the Serena Slam. That 1-5 deficit in the third was a huge mountain to overcome.

'10 Aussie Open. All signs pointed to a straight sets blowout as Azarenka never eased off the gas. The Venus-Na Li shitfest that preceded this match did not help either I could not believe I had sat through hours of Venus playing like shit to see Serena get sent home in straights sets.

'09 Wimbledon. Dementieva brought her A+ game and still could not beat Serena at a Grand Slam which is always the case as evident in their head to head record. Dementieva always wins the non-slam events but Serena never lets her win at a Slam.

Moveyourfeet
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:59 PM
That forehand volley she hit on Kim's match point in OZ was incredible.

Yep. That took guts. She had to hit 2 volleys to win that point.

2Black
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:04 PM
You All Are Gonna Make Me Watch All 3 Of Those Matches!!!

jlsq
Dec 25th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Ao 2010

KBlade
Dec 25th, 2011, 10:01 AM
In terms of career significance definitely 2003, but in terms of quality for me, definitely 2010. Azarenka was playing at an extremely high level, was pretty much out-playing Serena in every area of the court, and then Serena just completely stepped it up into another 2 gears that Azarenka was just simply no match for. I have never seen a player playing so well just look so completely and utterly helpless against the relentless waves of winners and aces being pounded past her.

The way Serena was just slapping winners past Azarenka left, right and center was cruelly impressive, especially given her deteriorating physical state.

pancake
Dec 25th, 2011, 04:10 PM

Anyway, I chose 2005 AO.

She was down a set and up 3-1 in the 2nd set, she lost the lead so how could it be a comeback...?

2Black
Dec 26th, 2011, 01:02 AM
The 1999 US Open should replace 2009 Wimbledon. It was in 1999 where we witness the birth of the comeback Queen when she came back against Clijsters in the 4th Round & went on to defeat Seles, Davenport & Hingis in their prime!

fedhingis67
Dec 26th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I don't know. The 1999 US Open seemed more like a Clijsters choke than a Serena comeback. I'll have to rewatch the match.

Slutiana
Dec 26th, 2011, 02:56 AM
As people have said, there was so much at stake in '03 and '05.

But 2010 will always be amazing because of the way a light just flicked on in Serena's head at such a perilous position. Azarenka didn't get tight at any point in the match, and she did extremely well to take it into the tiebreak. By the third set Serena was just hitting return winner after return winner and then service winner/ace after service winner/ace. I've never seen anything like it.

danieln1
Dec 26th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I donīt remember the third set in that 03 Australian semi, but I vaguely remember Serena was playing like shit to get to 1-5 in that third set... The comeback, I donīt remember if it was Serena raising her level or Fiona choking badly.

Anyway, I think this is her best comeback, followed by the Azarenka one in 10.

MakarovaFan
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:46 PM

Totally disagree there. The 2005 AO SF was one of THE most important matches of her career:

-Serena was starting to lose her "invincible" aura and dominance on tour
-Maria was quickly becoming the "It" girl on tour, taking attention away from Serena as the main star
-Maria had just beat her in 2 huge finals(Wimby and YEC) so having a 3rd major loss to the "annoying" overrated girl who have been tough for Serena
-Remember after the A0 05 Win, Serena wouldn't win another slam for 2 years, so had she lost that match Serena wouldn't have won a major from 2003-2007!!

Sooo i think more than anything that loss would have hurt her more mentally and def took a chink off her armor(something ironically i think Serena did to Maria because of the 2007 AO F), The Serena aura amongst insiders, commentators and general sports fans would have been done, and who knows how the rest of the field would have reacted. No matter how mentally strong a player is, everyone has their kryptonite(yes cheesy i know); Nadal has widely been considered one of the best fighters and mentally tough guys on tour but look was Novak has done to him, Same for Federer to Nadal even Evert to Martina for a while.

VishaalMaria
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Australian Open 2005.

Maria tried so hard on those two match points, but the way Serena hit those winners. Especially that ROS winner.

Some of us already knew Serena was the Queen B, but after that match it was plain for the whole world to see.

Hardiansf
Dec 27th, 2011, 12:36 AM
AO 2010 was the most epic imo. I was even conceding defeat when almost out of nowhere Serena started to kill it. The Wimbledon match is worth mentioning because of the amazing MP save and because it's probably the best match of the last 3 years.
Agree :angel:
I know this thread is about grand slam comeback, but what about Serena's comeback at Miami 2007 vs Justine? It's as impressive as some list mention here. Compare with those comeback, how you measure Ree's comeback at Miami?

For me personally, the list would be:
1. 2010 AO vs Azarenka. THAT is a turnaround match. A COMEBACK from death :worship:
2. 2003 AO vs Clijsters. A history. Her career would be totally different if she lost this.
3. 2005 AO vs Sharapova. The "NO WAY I'M GONNA LOST TO THIS B***H AGAIN" attitude :worship:. Magnificent
4. 2007 Miami vs Justine. Simply amazing... Somehow I'm still confused how she won it. It's kinda like Vee at 2000 US SF when she said something like she didn't know how she win? :lol:
5. 2009 Wim vs Dementieva. I think this is the best match from all of this. But, for me, it's not a comeback... But a good list :bounce:

chirag
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:12 AM
That Sharapova match was unreal :worship: especially after maria beat her at Wimbledon and YEC

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 27th, 2011, 07:28 AM
If we look at them stand alone, we might come to different answers. However, it's hard to give Serena's later comebacks any value without considering the pure shock value of her original comebacks. We have gotten spoiled by Serena and her comebacks. I remember watching the 10 OZ QF and thinking, Serena can come back. In 2003, when watching the OZ SF, I did not think that. I was devastated and then point by point, game by game, Serena clawed her way back. That forehand volley she hit on Kim's match point in OZ was incredible.

What the highlights don't show in the Azarenka comeback is that Serena was really struggling with her knee. She was making loud grimaces. I vote for that comeback because Azarenka was murdering Serena off the ground and with her return of serve. Somehow, Serena overcame that and her knee. Remember, in the Li SF, Serena could only serve and fought her way through two tiebreaks to win the match.

As people have said, there was so much at stake in '03 and '05.

But 2010 will always be amazing because of the way a light just flicked on in Serena's head at such a perilous position. Azarenka didn't get tight at any point in the match, and she did extremely well to take it into the tiebreak. By the third set Serena was just hitting return winner after return winner and then service winner/ace after service winner/ace. I've never seen anything like it.

These.

She was in so much pain. She could barely serve and them....BLAM. :shrug:

V.e.s.W
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:38 AM
AO 2005... Sharapova was playing very well and was really close to winning and Serena somehow managed to win. It was a great match :)

doomsday
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:44 AM
AO 2005... Sharapova was playing very well and was really close to winning and Serena somehow managed to win. It was a great match :)

The last two sets were very good from both players and the intensity was unreal I still believe that Maria should have shut her mouth when she got those match points, she pissed Serena so badly by being so loud :lol: anyway it was a great match but obviously it hurts for Masha fans especially because Masha never got a win over Serena since that match. But definitely it was her best Grand Slam comeback and her reaction was priceless when she won.

serenafan08
Dec 27th, 2011, 01:47 PM
2010 for me. Vika wasn't playing badly, and didn't lose because her level dropped. Serena just dug in and started imposing herself. Serena literally hit her off the court from 4-6 and 0-4 down. She is the game's best figher, of this generation at least. Serena's biggest weapon isn't her serve, it's her heart, and as long as it's still beating she still has a shot to win. That whole tournament was Serena's best Slam victory for me, considering how much pain she was in and all the tape on her body. Hence she didn't play again until the clay court season! :lol:

bandabou
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:10 AM
The last two sets were very good from both players and the intensity was unreal I still believe that Maria should have shut her mouth when she got those match points, she pissed Serena so badly by being so loud :lol: anyway it was a great match but obviously it hurts for Masha fans especially because Masha never got a win over Serena since that match. But definitely it was her best Grand Slam comeback and her reaction was priceless when she won.

Amazing match...that forehand ros winner..:worship: Part of a two-match destruction of Masha: first get into her head..and then destroy her spirit in ' 07. the rest is history.

Pump-it-UP
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:27 AM
So much was on the line in 2003 and 2005, so it has to be one of them. Dare I say that winning in 2005 was even more important for her than completing the Serena Slam in '03.... so my vote goes to that one.

The Azarenka match was probably the most impressive though. In a span of about 10 seconds, she went from playing horribly to playing some of her absolute best tennis. From 0-4 onwards in the 2nd set, I think her W/UE was something like 37/9. :tape: It was unreal.

She was probably most brave in the Dementieva match (the MP save, and the 2 epic points to hold serve at 5-6 deuce... :worship:) but I don't consider it a comeback like the others. More like an escape. :lol:

bandabou
Dec 28th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Yep..the Azarenka match is more an example of how great Serena REALLY is. Once she found her form, Azarenka was just a bystander. Amazing.