PDA

View Full Version : Best match between Hingis and Davenport?

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Ok, since I saw in the "Best rivalry in tennis history" thread how many people thought Davenport-Hingis was such a good rivalry, I thought we could find their best match too.

I believe there was a thread about this from 2004, but since it hadn't a poll nor YT highlights, I decided to make a new one.

They played each other 25 times. 14 of those 25 matches were three-setters, but unfortunately the only times they met in Slam finals Martina was spanked by Lindsay :tape: and the only time they played 3 sets was in the 1995 FO, when Hingis wasn't a top player then :mad:

So they tended to play their best matches outside the Slams...

Which one do you consider their best?

(I couldn't find HLs of all their great matches, nor I could put in the poll many matches worth of being on it, but you can still vote for them ;))

1998 Los Angeles F

pkHR7-X9nmg

1998 US Open F

fHbo8Fn8ZkM

1998 YEC F

Su0RD8e01Vc

2000 AO F

rmZYOIBkkOs

2000 IW F

dPrZxYJiBLE

2000 Miami F

wAIz2psxpCE

2000 Zurich F

1XO6IsiQjgU

2000 Philadelphia F

XVsD8owm260

2006 Indian Wells 4R

pnIVnAhQCgY

Stonerpova
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Their '00 Philly final. Two of the best sets of women's tennis I've ever seen.

Smitten
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Tokyo F for me.

Why are 2000 Indian Wells and Miami finals on here? Horrible matches.

Zurich F ended in a bunch of poor play from both players.

AO F is dry. Even their USO F is more entertaining.

Dominic
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:15 AM
the mach point of 98 LA :worship::worship::worship:

Leo_DFP
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I agree that USO F has more merit to make the poll than the AO F which was far less competitive. The latter got vaguely dicey at the end with Davenport nearly choking but she regrouped on time.

Wow, these two had so many incredible matches. In my opinion, this is the best rivalry there was during the peak of women's tennis in terms of consistent quality. I have seen many in full. One I haven't that has always impressed me from the rallies in the highlights was the '98 LA F. :worship: The Tokyo F wasn't as dynamic for me; never saw Zurich. I loved the '99 Chase F but only because Lindsay was absolutely pitch perfect and slaughtered Hingis.

Does anyone know more about their 4-setter in '98? Looked to be a compelling match. Hingis seemed to have the mental advantage in pulling out the tight first two sets but it was at the time in their rivalry when Davenport was taking control.

Mattographer
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:30 AM
And the crowd reacted after the match point :worship: We haven't seen it like that these days :o

I miss the good old days :sad:

Leo_DFP
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:32 AM

Yes. And I love Lindsay's reaction at the end. Premonition of the ending of their USO F with Davenport chasing down a dropshot and putting away the bh. 1998-1999 was truly peak Davenport.

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:45 AM
I agree that USO F has more merit to make the poll than the AO F which was far less competitive. The latter got vaguely dicey at the end with Davenport nearly choking but she regrouped on time.

Wow, these two had so many incredible matches. In my opinion, this is the best rivalry there was during the peak of women's tennis in terms of consistent quality. I have seen many in full. One I haven't that has always impressed me from the rallies in the highlights was the '98 LA F. :worship: The Tokyo F wasn't as dynamic for me; never saw Zurich. I loved the '99 Chase F but only because Lindsay was absolutely pitch perfect and slaughtered Hingis.

Does anyone know more about their 4-setter in '98? Looked to be a compelling match. Hingis seemed to have the mental advantage in pulling out the tight first two sets but it was at the time in their rivalry when Davenport was taking control.

Sorry, it's just that I've heard many Lindsay fans praising that final (until the little choke ofc) so I decided to include that big Lindsay thrashing of Martina, and Martina's thrashing of Lindsay in the same year Miami final.

But I agree, there were just too many good matches to put in a poll of 10 options :sad:

JJ all the way
Dec 24th, 2011, 06:36 AM
watching these matches made me realize that Hingis and Davenport were greater than what history would give them credit for....

Hingis, even though she has less slams, should be in the same league as Venus and Henin. Unfortunately, she won't be considered in that level because of 2 less slams.
Davenport will be considered in the same league as Sharapova (and Capriati, Kuznetsova and Mauresmo), but she is a much greater player than those she is compared to. It's such a shame.

It should be 1. Serena 2. Henin 3. Hingis 4. Venus 5. Davenport 6. Clijsters 7. Mauresmo 8. Capriati 9. Sharapova 10. Pierce

Too bad its not.........

danieln1
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Awesome thread.

I think the Zurich final was a great match, and Sydney final too.

This is one of the best rivalries of all time!

gmak
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:27 PM
great rivalry :drool:
never saw Sydney and Philadeplhia but their Zurich and LA matches were great

Ryan
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:10 PM
The 00 Zurich and 98 LA Finals are my favourites. There's at least 7-8 of their matches that are :bowdown: though.

Monica_Rules
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Zurich final was a great match. I remember 2000 when they used to play the finals all the time. It was a great rivalry

hingis-seles
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Zurich 2000 final, for me!

hingis-seles
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Though my favourite Tina shot came in their '97 US Open semifinal - she hit a ridiculous dropshot in the middle of the rally and it literally just crossed over and dropped dead. It was brilliant.

The Swiss Miss
Aug 14th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Zurich 2000 final, for me!

Not my favourite one, but I just watched it after 10 years and I have two shallow comments to make. One, I love mischievous Hingis. I love it when she smiles/smirks when she either misses a shot or gets a really good shot in. Two, this one is really shallow, but it's a comment that absolutely needs to be made. I was watching the match and I couldn't get over how good Hingis looked in 2000 and 2001. I think she looked her absolute best between 2000 and 2001. She lost her baby fat, but still had a little meat (probably mostly muscles) on her bones, and she grew her hair out. People comment on her forehead (it's high, so what?), but I think she looks really good with that high ponytail hairdo. I kept staring at Hingis' facial features in that match against Lindsay. I can't put my finger on what it is, but there's something really striking about Hingis' facial features in 2000 and 2001. I recently watched a Hingis doubles match with Federer from around that time and I kept thinking the exact same thing. I couldn't stop looking at her face.

The_roof
Aug 14th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Not my favourite one, but I just watched it after 10 years and I have two shallow comments to make. One, I love mischievous Hingis. I love it when she smiles/smirks when she either misses a shot or gets a really good shot in. Two, this one is really shallow, but it's a comment that absolutely needs to be made. I was watching the match and I couldn't get over how good Hingis looked in 2000 and 2001. I think she looked her absolute best between 2000 and 2001. She lost her baby fat, but still had a little meat (probably mostly muscles) on her bones, and she grew her hair out. People comment on her forehead (it's high, so what?), but I think she looks really good with that high ponytail hairdo. I kept staring at Hingis' facial features in that match against Lindsay. I can't put my finger on what it is, but there's something really striking about Hingis' facial features in 2000 and 2001. I recently watched a Hingis doubles match with Federer from around that time and I kept thinking the exact same thing. I couldn't stop looking at her face.

Maybe you are in love? :)

Best match? All of them!