PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova Withdraws from the Brisbane International - Ankle Injury

KBlade
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:53 AM
The Brisbane International have just announced it on their facebook page :sobbing:

claypova
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:54 AM
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Smitten
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I was so looking forward to a QF with Serena.

Oh well. There's always AO.

dsanders06
The fuck is this shit :sobbing:

Kairi
:bigcry: i was looking forward to a matchup against Serena/Sam/Kim..she needs to TAPE her damn ankles from now on :o

Mynarco
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:57 AM
That ankle injury is much worse than expected I think. It's been almost..3 months now.

madmax
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:59 AM
crap...no wonder she could barely move during YEC. Hopefully she'll be fine for AO at least:unsure:

ExtremespeedX
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Unfortunate...probably shouldn't have played in YEC, I watched the video of her fall in Tokyo on youtube and it looked really nasty.

Huntress55
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:01 AM
That sucks :(

Mikey.
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:03 AM
:o

Julian.
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:03 AM
:tears: Get well soon :tears:

dsanders06
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Bitch better take a Sydney wildcard. Even in her prime, she really didn't fare well going into big events with no match practice. :scared:

Novichok
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Get well Maria. :sad:

cowsonice
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:11 AM
STILL?!?! :sad:

In before others claim Maria is scared of Serena....

delicatecutter
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Looks like her ankle is her new shoulder.

goat
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:17 AM
get better, I want to see the best tennis while I am here in Aus before I go back home.

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Oh no :(

Get better Masha!!

Hope she can at least play some matches before the AO

Rafito.
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Just hope she is better by the AO :sad: Fucking ankle.

Batemant
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Oh Jesus. Being a Maria fan is so trying. Hope she's fully recovered for the AO, at least.

Excelscior
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Bitch better take a Sydney wildcard. Even in her prime, she really didn't fare well going into big events with no match practice. :scared:

Sucks.

Did she re-injure it (or it's not officially healed)?

Cause this happened a while ago, and Brisbane is still one wk away.

I guess she wants the two weeks off before the Australian, or maybe Sydney like you said?

We'll see?

Get better Maria.

sammy01
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:37 AM
this sucks on so many levels. firstly no sharapova for brisbane, which is a loss for the tournament. secondly no big match up against serena or kim. thirdly serena and kim have now a 25% chance to play in the qtrs which would be crap for both.

maria get better the tour doesn't need another part time mess of a former champion sob.

Broseghini
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:37 AM
really :o

sammy01
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:38 AM
p.s that was also my thought, does this put her in doubt for oz open, as to pull out with 10 days to go seems to say it is more than a tweek.

claypova
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:40 AM

2006 AO :cool:

stay positive :awww:

Lachy
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:40 AM
p.s that was also my thought, does this put her in doubt for oz open, as to pull out with 10 days to go seems to say it is more than a tweek.

She personally said she will be fine for the AO so that's promising :)

sammy01
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:42 AM

she said that for the YEC too :help: i want sharapova and all fit and ready for the oz open.

urghhh this better not be the start of the intresting players dropping like flies before play has even begun.

Excelscior
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Expect a lot of Serena and Clijsters talk (win or lose), with Masha out, since so many top players will play Hopman and Sydney.

Maybe a hot Petkovic can steal the title if she's playing again (finalist earlier this year)?

Jane Lane
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Well 2012 looks promising at this rate. :tape:

dsanders06
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:00 AM
she said that for the YEC too :help: i want sharapova and all fit and ready for the oz open.

urghhh this better not be the start of the intresting players dropping like flies before play has even begun.

She almost certainly won't withdraw. Maria just DOESNT' withdraw from Slams unless it's absolutely 100% necessary... she was even considering playing the AO in 2009, even though she'd only begun hitting after her surgery like 2 weeks before and eventually didn't return til May :lol:

Whether or not she shows up fit and/or in decent form is another question entirely.

dsanders06
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I'm really hoping this is just because the start of her offseason training was delayed by a couple of weeks and so she's not quite ready yet, rather than her ankle still being an issue NOW :unsure: I'm sure we got a news article come through a couple of weeks ago saying her ankle was 100% healed...

EDIT: Tennis.com article dated 2 Decemeber, she said her ankle was "fully recovered". And just 6 days ago she was talking on Facebook about packing for Australia. So either it's what I said above.... or, worst case scenario, she's re-injured her ankle in the days since then :scared:

pedropt
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:08 AM
:hysteric:

VishaalMaria
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Good luck

Stonerpova
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Fuck.

casholic
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:22 AM
The beginning of the end... part 2...

Vincey!
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:56 AM
The ankle injury is sure more serious than I thought. Hopefully she's taking this week off to finish her training tho. I doubt it's the ankle bothering her THAT much still, she probably just wants some more time to get ready for the AO.....I HOPE!

Vincey!
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I'm really hoping this is just because the start of her offseason training was delayed by a couple of weeks and so she's not quite ready yet, rather than her ankle still being an issue NOW :unsure: I'm sure we got a news article come through a couple of weeks ago saying her ankle was 100% healed...

EDIT: Tennis.com article dated 2 Decemeber, she said her ankle was "fully recovered". And just 6 days ago she was talking on Facebook about packing for Australia. So either it's what I said above.... or, worst case scenario, she's re-injured her ankle in the days since then :scared:

yes I thought the same too. I sure hope she didn't re-injured her ankle :(

Steven.
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:12 AM
:sad: Masha. Please recover asap. I don't care if you miss AO anymore, just please get better and don't make another rash mistake like in 2008.

NA-GOAT
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Sam as the top seed :rocker:

simonsaystennis
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Damn :(

M.P
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:09 AM
she was running in TEC :scared:

Trih
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I just hope she's just being 101% careful to not repeat the shoulder mistake taking it too easy, and that's just a matter of "top form" rather than having real problems with the ankle.

Stamp Paid
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Damn. Her movement is gonna be even worse when she comes back.

BlueTrees
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Why does it take 3 months to recover from an "ankle injury"? :confused:

Pump-it-UP
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Her body has just fallen apart lately. Poor gal.

Halepsova
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:51 AM
:wavey:

Dominic
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Why are you such a fucking retard?

He is but this is very disapointing and surprising! For the love of god Dokic at AO09 had the same kind of fall, took about 5 seconds on the court to recover, kept playing her match and won... Really hard to understand how this can take more than 3 months. Is she made of toothpicks??

BlueTrees
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Why are you such a fucking retard?

You think it's normal for an ankle injury to take 3 months to recover from? :spit:

She was moving fine in Istanbul. I'm curious as to why she's still got a problem with it. :shrug:

Trih
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Maria too, had the same type of injury at Miami (or Indian Wells) this year, and she kept playing.
Injuries are just not all the same. :shrug:

Trih
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:05 AM
She was moving fine in Istanbul.

Not really.

Lachy
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:06 AM
You think it's normal for an ankle injury to take 3 months to recover from? :spit:

She was moving fine in Istanbul. I'm curious as to why she's still got a problem with it. :shrug:

Nope :lol:

Stonerpova
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:19 AM

:rolleyes:

BlueTrees
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Well for her standards she was moving fine. For the average player of course she was slow as hell, but that's normal for her.

Dominic
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Well for her standards she was moving fine. For the average player of course she was slow as hell, but that's normal for her.

Seems to me like you don't know her standards. Maria is usually not that slow from side to side.

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:37 AM
*crosses Sharapova from AO favourite list*

atominside
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:49 AM
*crosses Sharapova from AO favourite list*

:yeah:

Andy.
Dec 24th, 2011, 07:11 AM
:sad::sad::sad: WOW this ankle injury seems really serious now.

Mistress of Evil
Dec 24th, 2011, 07:29 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li7tv4Plj61qafrh6.jpg

FUCK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpwfwnNRmH1qafrh6.gif

BlueTrees
Dec 24th, 2011, 07:54 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li7tv4Plj61qafrh6.jpg

FUCK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpwfwnNRmH1qafrh6.gif

:facepalm:

doomsday
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM
The new year is gonna be awesome :rolleyes:

Andy.
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:04 AM
What I dont understand is if this injury is so serious that she cant play in the next 10 days whats an extra 2 weeks going to achieve. Have all her FB posts about training been BS. All seemed well this has stumped me a little.

doujyr
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:05 AM
re-injured for sure. doesn't take 3months foran ankle to heal.

gc-spurs
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:50 AM
What I dont understand is if this injury is so serious that she cant play in the next 10 days whats an extra 2 weeks going to achieve. Have all her FB posts about training been BS. All seemed well this has stumped me a little.

Re-injury. Even when she's moving fine, she's gonna be susceptible to re-injury for months. If it is re-injury 2 weeks is massive for healing and not injuring it further- her ligaments are gona be loose as at the moment.

Just Do It
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Season didn't even start players are dropping like files :spit:

Igorche
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I hope that she will be ready for the AO

Alejandrawrrr
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I sincerely hope this ankle isn't going to be a recurring issue :unsure:

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:35 AM
WTF :hysteric:. Probably she re-injured it cause it seems ridiculous to take 3 months for such an injury to heal :sobbing:.

Hopefully this injury won't turn into a mental issue for Maria, hopefully she won't think about how she lands when she serves cause then it's gonna get pretty messed up :sobbing:.

She won't take a WC into Sydney I suppose.

Holdsworth
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Probably Maria was re-injured during some training.. Because she said about month ago, she had totally recovered.

Sabinator.
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:51 AM
It reminds me of Sabine, when she had a whole 2010 year off, becuase of the ankle :tears: It constantly remind me that protectors on her ankles :sobbing:

Fighterpova
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Well Maria always keeps her injuries top secret :o
From the moment she fell I felt something that I couldn't explain.

I think it would be start(for the sake of her career) to miss the Australian Open and then focus on the rest of the season after she's healed :shrug:

terjw
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM

When she made her comeback in 2009 - she withdrew from one tournament after another first saying when she withdrew she'd be fine for AO. Then of course she wasn't fine and withdrew from AO and it was she'd be fine for the next tournament. Then it was IW/Miami. And she didn't come back till Warsaw. So why anyone is naive enough to lap up what she says after that as the gospel truth after that escapade is beyond me seeing as she seemed incapable of providing anyone with a realistic estimate of when she would really be back.

Anyway - hope she will be OK for AO. And Brisbane still has a good field.

Break My Rapture
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Definitely re-injured it. Unless that talk to Cronin and her FB updates were lies.

This sucks monkey ass. I was so looking forward to this. Doesn't this mean another top 6 player can enter Brisbane though?

Really doesn't look good if she is "ready" for the AO, someone mentioned 2006 but she played like shit up until that semi vs Henin where she actually played really well in the first set. Not only that, Maria then at least had a serve (despite the pectoral strain in her right shoulder which nearly caused her to miss the event) and was overall a better player than Maria is now.

*EPIC SIGH* Awesome news to wake up to.

Ferg
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Dr. Bartoli was right as usual.

The Dawntreader
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Ankles injuries are such hazards. Seems like she's had a set-back.

BlueTrees
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Is there any chance she won't be able to play the Australian Open? :confused:

Keegan
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Please let her just want to do some shopping in Melbourne instead :sobbing:

Steven.
Dec 24th, 2011, 11:08 AM

I don't get it. You're a fan of someone whose career went into turmoil because of an injury, yet you're basically hoping for the same thing for another? Maria's a human being first, athlete and celebrity second ffs.

Please let her just want to do some shopping in Melbourne instead :sobbing:

:lol:

cn ireland
Dec 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I hope Maria will be fit for the AO!!

J4m3ka
Dec 24th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I think her ankle has fully healed and there is some other reason that she is not ready to play in Brisbane (delayed preparation etc). Obviously using the ankle is the easiest way to withdraw from the tournament, I would be surprised if she is not at AO.

Fighterpova
Dec 24th, 2011, 11:20 AM

I didn't know anyone could sink that low...even you :help:
I really hope that one day you'll stop being such a cruel and bitter bitch. I mean no harm, we all make mistakes, I hope one day you'll see your own and learn from them :angel:

Matt01
Dec 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM
When she made her comeback in 2009 - she withdrew from one tournament after another first saying when she withdrew she'd be fine for AO. Then of course she wasn't fine and withdrew from AO and it was she'd be fine for the next tournament. Then it was IW/Miami. And she didn't come back till Warsaw. So why anyone is naive enough to lap up what she says after that as the gospel truth after that escapade is beyond me seeing as she seemed incapable of providing anyone with a realistic estimate of when she would really be back.

This. It is quite obvious that her statements are just PC statements which have little connection to the reality (which is ok given her popularity status) but what's funny is that her minions can't even see that and take all her comments literally. :spit:

Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Coconut91
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I think her ankle has fully healed and there is some other reason that she is not ready to play in Brisbane (delayed preparation etc). Obviously using the ankle is the easiest way to withdraw from the tournament, I would be surprised if she is not at AO.

I think so too. Hopefully she'll be ok by AO.

Linguae^
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:27 PM
To all the people who are waiting for her match with Serena :help:
It's 7-2 I think, it would be just another piece of crack.

Vikapower
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Maria I hope you'll be alright for the AO... :sad: Brisbane anyways is not going to be anything necessary.

sammy01
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Re-injury. Even when she's moving fine, she's gonna be susceptible to re-injury for months. If it is re-injury 2 weeks is massive for healing and not injuring it further- her ligaments are gona be loose as at the moment.

slut!!!! *insert robson gif* lol

brickhousesupporter
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:38 PM
She needs to start taping her ankles. Unfortunately for her, that may make her less mobile, but it will preserve her career.

dsanders06
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:53 PM

Anyway - hope she will be OK for AO. And Brisbane still has a good field.

The only reason this seems strange to you is because you refuse to acknowledge that Maria and other stars consider the Slams to be FARRRRR more important than normal tournaments. She said in an interview about a year ago that she was so desperate to play the AO09 that, even though she wasn't really physically ready, she was considering playing it then taking the 3 months after that off to rest her shoulder....then, when she was forced to not play the AO, she didn't see any point risking her health in the way that she was prepared to do for a Slam, just to play some WTA tournaments. And you say she "withdrew from one tournament after another" - actually, even though she was down on entry lists just in case she was ready, a source from her camp told Tennis.Com as early as March 2009 after her Indian Wells doubles match that they were realistically looking at the French Open as the singles comeback, with the possibility of a warm-up tournament the week before (again, because she considers Slams by far the most important) ... which is exactly what she ended up doing.

So, despite your revisionist history, Maria actually has an excellent track record in terms of her predictions from coming back from injury, with the AO09 being the only tournament ever where she's seriously talked up her prospects of playing then being forced to withdraw (and even then only because of the most extreme of circumstances) - so, therefore, her saying she'll be playing this year's AO should be taken as a near-certainty that she'll be playing :wavey: If she didn't think she'd be ready or if it was in severe doubt, she would've either not said anything about her prospects of playing the AO or would've publicly admitted it would be a struggle...but she never states "I'll definitely be playing" if she isn't certain she'll be playing, the AO09 aside.

(though again, whether she's in condition to make a significant run is another story)

Vincey!
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Why does it take 3 months to recover from an "ankle injury"? :confused:

I sprained my ankle a couple years ago and I could not walk for about 2 weeks and run for a month and that with a brace. When I started playing tennis again it took me 2 months to not feel tough pain in my ankle. It was still bothering me for a long time. She played in Istanbul and did poorly maybe she just doesn't want to be under performing because she doesn't feel 100% ready. I'd rather see her careful than losing first round cuz she lacked of training or the ankle is still bothering her a bit.

danieln1
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Terrible news

Hopefully she can fully recover for AO

Martha is just unfortunate with various injuries.

AcesHigh
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I think she'll be fine for AO. I think this is more precaution than anything.

Btw, interesting to see some Maria fans take a totally different tone in this thread than they did in the Venus thread

Steven.
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I think she'll be fine for AO. I think this is more precaution than anything.

Btw, interesting to see some Maria fans take a totally different tone in this thread than they did in the Venus thread

I think so too. While she didn't fully recover by the time YEC came around, there was good progress in her healing. Also, I'm sure she's learned from her 2008 mistake regarding her shoulder, and wouldn't work herself too hard during this off season to only to aggravate her ankles.

This might just be optimistic/hopeful thinking, but I honestly do think this is just a precautionary thing. Last thing she needs is to fuck up her ankle again 2 weeks before a major.

terjw
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM
The only reason this seems strange to you is because you refuse to acknowledge that Maria and other stars consider the Slams to be FARRRRR more important than normal tournaments. She said in an interview about a year ago that she was so desperate to play the AO09 that, even though she wasn't really physically ready, she was considering playing it then taking the 3 months after that off to rest her shoulder....then, when she was forced to not play the AO, she didn't see any point risking her health in the way that she was prepared to do for a Slam, just to play some WTA tournaments.

:lol: :lol: No - you crack me up on your desperate off topic attempts to say what I think or reasons for what I think and going off topic wasting your time arguing with something you invented. And of course obviously Sharapova won't pull out of AO unless she really cannot physically play. And of course we all hope she is OK for AO. But that's the same with all players when it comes to a slam. I remember Kim injured in 2006 but playing and JJ the same in 2008. We all agree players won't pull out of slams unless they have to. :rolleyes:

This thread is about Sharapova and when she'll be back. And despite your off-topic waffle on an interview she did 1 year ago after the event - the point is that what she and her team said in 2009 when she'd be ready (withdrawing from HK first ensuring she'd be 100% for AO) bore no resemblance to reality then. So it's naive to just believe what she says and forget what she said in 2009.

Your attempts to alter history of what happenned in 2009 remind me of your belief that Kim didn't play at all in 2004. :lol:

doomsday
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:17 PM

:lol: you idiot, I know what you're looking for so I'm gonna give you what you want.:lol:

Dominic
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:31 PM
:lol: you idiot, I know what you're looking for so I'm gonna give you what you want.:lol:

OMG that sounds dirty :oh:

Kairi
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:34 PM

Be safe you two...

dsanders06
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:36 PM
:lol: :lol: No - you crack me up on your desperate off topic attempts to say what I think or reasons for what I think and going off topic wasting your time arguing with something you invented. And of course obviously Sharapova won't pull out of AO unless she really cannot physically play. And of course we all hope she is OK for AO. But that's the same with all players when it comes to a slam. I remember Kim injured in 2006 but playing and JJ the same in 2008. We all agree players won't pull out of slams unless they have to. :rolleyes:

This thread is about Sharapova and when she'll be back. And despite your off-topic waffle on an interview she did 1 year ago after the event - the point is that what she and her team said in 2009 when she'd be ready (withdrawing from HK first ensuring she'd be 100% for AO) bore no resemblance to reality then. So it's naive to just believe what she says and forget what she said in 2009.

But it did bear resemblance to reality. Again, just because she didn't come back for 4 months after the AO, that doesn't mean she wasn't very near to competing in the AO itself - because the crucial point is Maria (and all other stars) have lower required levels of fitness for Slams than they do for normal WTA tournaments (or in other words, they're prepared to take more risks to appear in Slams than normal tournaments), because their desire to comepte in Slams is so much higher.

And my main point is that, because Maria has such a good track record of competing when she says she's almost guaranteed to, we can take it that she WILL be there - if it was in doubt, she would've said that or just not said anything about the AO atall in her statement, as is her norm. When she says she's totally confident she's going to be somewhere (as she's said about this coming AO), she's always there, the AO09 aside.

DefyingGravity
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I sprained my ankle a couple years ago and I could not walk for about 2 weeks and run for a month and that with a brace. When I started playing tennis again it took me 2 months to not feel tough pain in my ankle. It was still bothering me for a long time. She played in Istanbul and did poorly maybe she just doesn't want to be under performing because she doesn't feel 100% ready. I'd rather see her careful than losing first round cuz she lacked of training or the ankle is still bothering her a bit.

Right. I had a mild sprain that I didn't let heal properly, and let's just say my left ankle is forever messed up, and it will probably need surgery in my early 40's.

For such a bad ankle roll, even though she was able to walk on it then, she might have needed a couple of weeks of R.I.C.E. and a brace, and you lose all the strength in your ligaments and tendons. I'd rather her treat it right (i.e. not play Istanbul...wait...) and get it healed properly the first time, then trying to play and it not healing correctly and it affecting her the rest of her career and life.

BlueTrees
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:37 PM

WTF :confused: :weirdo:

doomsday
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:41 PM
OMG that sounds dirty :oh:

Be safe you two...

Geez, I meant a bad rep obviously. What am I gonna do with that tool?:lol:

Break My Rapture
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Be safe you two...
:haha:

BlueTrees
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Geez, I meant a bad rep obviously. What am I gonna do with that tool?:lol:

Yeah, sure. Go away you creep. :scared:

doomsday
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Yeah, sure. Go away you creep. :scared:

:lol: I'm not into guys you fool but if I scared you it's a great thing, I really hope you scared enough to not show up in every Maria thread in order to troll now. And yeah I still didn't give you a bad rep, I must spread some reputation.................

gmak
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:57 PM
:( :mad: :(
fuck :(

Jane Lane
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Are BlueTrees and doomsday succeeding dsanders and Jimmie as TF's most notorious couple? :oh:

terjw
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:01 PM
But it did bear resemblance to reality. Again, just because she didn't come back for 4 months after the AO, that doesn't mean she wasn't very near to competing in the AO itself - because the crucial point is Maria (and all other stars) have lower required levels of fitness for Slams than they do for normal WTA tournaments (or in other words, they're prepared to take more risks to appear in Slams than normal tournaments), because their desire to comepte in Slams is so much higher.

And my main point is that, because Maria has such a good track record of competing when she says she's almost guaranteed to, we can take it that she WILL be there - if it was in doubt, she would've said that or just not said anything about the AO atall in her statement, as is her norm. When she says she's totally confident she's going to be somewhere (as she's said about this coming AO), she's always there, the AO09 aside.

In 2009 she said she was withdrawing from HK so she would be playing at AO. Just take a look at what you put and I have put in bold and what happened in 2009. I know it takes time to sink in but try to keep up. Otherwise there's not a lot of point in continuing this discussion if you still can't manage to understand that.

In The Zone
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:02 PM
She withdrew after seeing the field.

Stonerpova
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:04 PM
She withdrew after seeing the field.

Cute.

dsanders06
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:09 PM
In 2009 she said she was withdrawing from HK so she would be playing at AO. Just take a look at what you put and I have put in bold and what happened in 2009. I know it takes time to sink in but try to keep up. Otherwise there's not a lot of point in continuing this discussion if you still can't manage to understand that.

:facepalm: I acknowledged in both of my posts that the AO09 was the one exception, which was extreme circumstances...but actually, having re-read her statement from 2009 just now, the most she said about the AO is that she was "hopeful" about playing it and "working hard to get tennis-fit", but actually added: "but I have promised my doctors, coach and family that I will not rush back." Compared to now, where she's saying she's "confident" and "expects" to play at the AO...I'm assuming you can she the difference in tone.

Sharapovian
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Hopefully she hasn't re-injured her ankle :unsure: and hopefully will be fit for AO. Best not to take the risk and play Brisbane, she probably should have missed YEC to begin with.

Nicolás89
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:37 PM
She probably saw Elke Clijsters in the line up.

terjw
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:46 PM
:facepalm: I acknowledged in both of my posts that the AO09 was the one exception, which was extreme circumstances...but actually, having re-read her statement from 2009 just now, the most she said about the AO is that she was "hopeful" about playing it and "working hard to get tennis-fit", but actually added: "but I have promised my doctors, coach and family that I will not rush back." Compared to now, where she's saying she's "confident" and "expects" to play at the AO...I'm assuming you can she the difference in tone.

:facepalm: The talk from Maria and her agent was all about match fitness in 2009 and not about still being injured:
“I’m just not ready to play against the top-class competition in Hong Kong, although I remain hopeful for Australia where I’m the defending champion,” .
“Maria needs to get ‘tennis fit’ now and she’s working hard,”
from Sharapova’s agent, Max Eisenbud.

The talk of just being not ready for the top-class competition and match fitness as opposed to still being injured meant it was universally acceopted on these boards that she'd be match fit in three weeks and playing at AO. She was also defending champion then.

So no - I don't think there's a difference really in tone to what was said then

gulzhan
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Please get ready for AO, Masha! :sad:

dsanders06
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:55 PM
So no - I don't think there's a difference really in tone to what was said then

Then you're beyond reasoning with :lol:

tennisbum79
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Well Maria always keeps her injuries top secret :o

Most top players do, inclduing the Americans ovas, the Williamsovas

terjw
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Then you're beyond reasoning with :lol:

Everyone thought she was playing at AO in 2009 from those statements by her and her agent. HK raised eyebrows - but it was an exhibition and if match fitness was the only problem now ... It wasn't until after the AO that people just lost patience with it all the yes she will no she won't. Were you even around then? Or are you claiming that anyone at the time thought she couldn't get match fit in 3 weeks.

doomsday
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Everyone thought she was playing at AO in 2009 from those statements by her and her agent. HK raised eyebrows - but it was an exhibition and if match fitness was the only problem now ... It wasn't until after the AO that people just lost patience with it all the yes she will no she won't. Were you even around then? Or are you claiming that anyone at the time thought she couldn't get match fit in 3 weeks.

We get it, you don't want to see her playing OZ but she'll be there now go away hater.

Drake1980
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:14 PM
:eek:

terjw
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:17 PM
We get it, you don't want to see her playing OZ but she'll be there now go away hater.

I've stated in two posts I hope she's at AO and recovered. No-one should want a player injured or not able to play. Can you not read?

doomsday
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I've stated in two posts I hope she's at AO and recovered. No-one should want a player injured or not able to play. Can you not read?

Well, you sure don't seem optimist about her chances and trying really hard to refute everything Dsanders says.:eek:

terjw
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Well, you sure don't seem optimist about her chances and trying really hard to refute everything Dsanders says.:eek:

All I'm saying is whether or not she plays - and the consensus is she'll play - I just don't take what she says as gospel based on past experience. But I would never not want her or any player to be injured or not playing at AO.

Madoka
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:47 PM
ouch, then the injury must be more serious then what i thought...

nfl46
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Sigh. WTA is falling apart. :(

atominside
Dec 24th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, I had to pull out of the Brisbane tournament yesterday.
My ankle only recently started feeling good and therefore I want to make sure I'm fully ready for the coming year by not rushing into things too fast.
On the other hand, its Christmas Eve and you know how much I love to play Santa! Still have a few presents to wrap. Got a bit carried away at the Grand Bazaar in Turkey a week ago, so many beautiful things!
Wishing everyone a wonderful Holiday!

:)

cowsonice
Dec 24th, 2011, 06:12 PM
So...it's not that serious. :)

Steven.
Dec 25th, 2011, 03:43 AM
:cheer:

bandabou
Dec 25th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Just precaution..she'll be fine, but this is yet another debilitating injury..

allhailwilliams
Dec 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Venus and Maria need to give up the ghost, and stop acting like you trying to be a tennis player. Retire please and stop embarrassing you're self. It's over girls. Been a good run, but it's over.

Stamp Paid
Dec 25th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Venus and Maria need to give up the ghost, and stop acting like you trying to be a tennis player. Retire please and stop embarrassing you're self. It's over girls. Been a good run, but it's over.http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/59.gif

Kairi
Dec 25th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Venus and Maria need to give up the ghost, and stop acting like you trying to be a tennis player. Retire please and stop embarrassing you're self. It's over girls. Been a good run, but it's over.

:unsure:

Adidas Dude
Dec 25th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Maria Sharapova withdrawing from a tournament with yet ANOTHER injury is becoming the norm, not the exception, anymore. It's been a while since her last match. Not even plenty of rest can heal the ankle??? There must be some ligament damage. She's toast.

Adidas Dude
Dec 25th, 2011, 05:31 PM
If skipping Brisbane is just precautionary, then request a Wildcard into Sydney, ffs!

atominside
Dec 25th, 2011, 06:17 PM
If skipping Brisbane is just precautionary, then request a Wildcard into Sydney, ffs!

she will never.

atominside
Dec 25th, 2011, 06:27 PM
:lol:ikr

Miss Atomic Bomb
Dec 25th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Nooooo :hysteric: :tears:

MashaIlove
Dec 26th, 2011, 04:00 AM

you are over

Tuckii
Dec 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Same old story :help:
Get well for AO Masha :kiss:

Sombrerero loco
Dec 26th, 2011, 09:29 AM
she will be out of rythm to the aus open

Cajka
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:15 AM
:sad: Those crappy injuries again, again and again. She said it would be fine until AO, but I'm really worried.

Tennis Ball
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Bad luck, Sharpie, get well soon!!

MiiMo
Dec 28th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Actually Maria might take a WC at Hobart, the week before the Australian Open.. Seems doubtful though