PDA

View Full Version : Kim the ONLY player to have beaten both Williams' this year?(n.inc walkover)

Heidi Capriati
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Well she beat Venus is Hamburg didn't she?! And now she's won against Serena so does that make her the only player this year to have beaten both? :p

I think so ;)

Serendy Willick
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Gee, I think we know that. Its been said in about ninety threads already!

joao
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Yes, every year since 99, there has been only 1 player to beat both WILLIAMS in the same year!

2002 Clijsters
2001 Hingis (did it in the same tournament)
2000 Davenport
99 Graf and Hingis
98 ASV and hingis

Lola
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Heidi Capriati
Well she beat Venus is Hamburg didn't she?! And now she's won against Serena so does that make her the only player this year to have beaten both? :p

I think so ;)
kim has beaten both sisters in one tournament :D
sorry for venus, but kim has beaten serena in the final, therefore I think venus wouldn't have a chance against her
:wavey:

Jericho
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Lola, you dont know for sure, im not saying that i know that venus would've won, i'm saying consider how venus played against seles...even if kim would've beaten venus, im sure venus would've taken her to 3 sets...kim would more tired...so who knows...

o0O0o
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Considering that Clijsters hit 21 winners in 5 games of that match, and most of these winners would have been winners even if Venus was up to speed, and considering she beat Venus earlier this year and beat the superior sister in the next match, there is no doubt she would have beaten Venus. Actually, she DID beat Venus.

Serendy Willick
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:01 AM
She won the match on a retirement, BTW, there is not guarentee that those would've been winners had venus been healthy, or did you forget who has the best reach on the tour?

Jericho
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:22 AM
o0O0o knows venus would've gotten to those...he's in denial, if venus was able to retrieve seles' sharp angles which had so much power, believe me venus would've gotten those balls...yeah clijsters beat venus on clay in a close 3 set match...but venus also beat clijsters on hardcourt everytime they played before the retirement...and venus was playing better than serena this tournament and had more rest...

tennischick
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:12 AM
the real honor of beating them back to back still goes to Hingis...;) ;)

"Topaz"
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:15 AM
Isn't that amazing? - Beating both Willis is a trophy by itself.

Then, congrats Kim; and that is not sarcasm.

tennischick
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:19 AM
it's a trophy only bec it is so very difficult to do. and since Hingis faced them both healthy/uninjured, the real trophy still stays with her until someone else earns it honestly...;)

the cat
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:46 AM
TC, Martina doesn't get the trophy either! :eek: After beating Serena and Venus back to back in the 2001 Australian Open, she thought her job was done. But Martina got creamed in the final by Capriati. Thus she didn't end up with the trophy. Only a runners up plate.

As for Clijsters, she deserved to win because she played the tournaments she was committed to in the fall. The Williams sisters did not. Thus, they were not ready to play their best tennis in LA! And Kim was. And did! Congrats to Kim! :D And congrats to Serena on a great year! :)

Heidi Capriati
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Luci
Gee, I think we know that. Its been said in about ninety threads already!

Gee, well I don't look in ninety threads like you, I have a life thanks very much

PhoenixStorm
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Considering that Clijsters hit 21 winners in 5 games of that match, and most of these winners would have been winners even if Venus was up to speed, and considering she beat Venus earlier this year and beat the superior sister in the next match, there is no doubt she would have beaten Venus. Actually, she DID beat Venus.

sorry kim i love ya, but 21 winners against a LAME opponent who could not RUN is not very impressive. ITs like saying Kim hitting winners against someone in a wheelchair is something to get excited about. Its not. Kim won the match she didnt beat venus because venus retired. still GO KIMMIE!!! Kim did however spank serena! That was a fun match between to competitors Serena had her chances but according to you she CHOKED the first set. Oh well she'll have another chance at the Kimerator.

autoharp
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:38 PM
KIM IS SIMPLY THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!:drool:

RAA
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:47 PM
i don't know why people are obsessed with this. The fact that people even celebrate the fact that one player has beaten them both is a testament to just how HARD it is to do that and just how far they have distanced themselves from the field. so, personally, as a Venus and Serena fan, I take pride in how many people are harping on the fact that Kim beat them both. shows you how TOUGH and RARE it is to do, which speaks volumes about how much they are dominating. good for me as a fan.

I think kim did great, beating Venus in Hamburg and beating both the williams sisters in LA. I'm not going to quibble with the fact that Venus retired in LA, give props where they are due. but don't forget the fact that Serena won THREE GRAND SLAMS this year en route to winning 8 titles. Venus won 7 titles and got to the FINALS of Three Grand slams. those stats are still head and shoulders above the rest of the field, including Kim's year.

I think kim is a great player and look forward to many more matches between her and Venus and Serena.

Venus and Serena are beatable. All players are beatable. Even hingis in her 1997 run got beaten. even Steffi when she was rolling in the mid 90s got beaten. The problem is that fans/other players for some reason think a particular player is INVINCIBLE, when time after time we see that is not the case. it is VERY HARD to beat Serena and/or Venus, but not impossible. UNLIKELY, but not impossible.