PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Messages/Anecdotes/Tributes *will* be sent to Arantxa

marsha
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:56 PM
...just as was done for Miriam Oremans when she retired. Wish we could have a big party instead, but... looks like not.

Since Arantxa is not a "computer person" the messages that you leave on this thread will be compiled and sent to her - we are hoping to get them to her in maybe ten days to two weeks. OR .. we might just hold on to them and send them to her for her birthday, which is December 18th.

Since our intention right now is to compile the messages in a small scrapbook, please limit each mesage to no more than three or four paragraphs (prolly not a problem here; everyone is pretty "terse"! :)] If you want to send her longer letters/messages, LMK and I'll get them to her. But even so, please include SOME words for the scrapbook, OK? THANKS!

IF you are able to write in Spanish, that might be preferable, but she can also speak/read English, German, Italian and French, so anything will do! But please say something here so we can show Arantxa just what she has meant to this community of tennis fans. And if you have friends that are not on line, feel free to add their messages for them or send them to me at: cmstrong@mindspring.com -- try to include your country and e-mail address and/or snail address -- she *loves* seeing how many countries she has fans in! :)

Thanks again for this -- believe me, your efforts will be greatly appreciated!

Sonja
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Thanks marsha, my message will be forthcoming.

A big bump for this...

marsha
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Thanks Sonja -- I understand all you sweet Mauresmo fans have some messages on the Amelie page as well, which I am going to get as well...

Hopefully we might see Arantxa and Amelie still play in Belgium in December... Arantxa's press conference was clear to say she would *not* play the masters, but no mention was made of the Belgium exhibition match.

DEETHELICK
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Arantxa, you truly are a great. Without you there wouldn't have been so many memorable matches.

You achieved so much and are an inspiration to many, always have faith in yourself.

I enjoyed your tennis and your personality on the court and have always been a very big fan.

May the future bring you much happiness and I hope we see you in some shape or form in the tennis world :)

Will miss that fist pump!! :)

Linnie
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Hi Marsha! :wavey: Look for my e-mail ;) :)

Julian
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Arantxa, you have been truly one of the best tennis players in history. I have been following your results since 1996 and I always thought that you showed the most fight, spirit, and heart then any other player in the game. You have been a true role model to me and countless others, I wish you the best in life, and you will be terribly missed..god bless and love always from a true fan. :)

marsha
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Maybe other people would prefer not to post their messages so publically -- if so, feel free to e-mail them to me at cmstrong@mindspring.com

BasicTennis
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Definetely, there's life after tennis and I wish you all the best.:angel:

anton
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:34 AM
ARANTXA!!! :)

THANKS FOR THE GREAT TENNIS OVER THE YEARS!!!!

I LEARNED HOW TO LOB BY WATCHING YOU!! ALSO LEARNED ABOUT FIGHTING AND NEVER GIVING UP!!!

I HOPE YOU FIND HAPPINESS!! I AM SAD TO SEE YOU GO BUT I WILL ACCEPT IT!!!

anton
United States

wave
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:47 AM
ARANTXA:
Sad news to hear that you will retire from playing professional tennis. I will miss to watch your matches on tv. I admired your game style, your fighting spirit and you tennis tactics. You showed us that winning a match is not dependant on how tall you are. I followed your career through all GS titles and Olympic Games. It was great. Thank you for everything!
And since I know your German is better than my English: Alles Gute fuer Dein Privatleben und hoffentlich bleibst Du dem Tennis in irgendeiner Form treu. Ich wuerde gerne Matches mit Deinen Comments hoeren... aber ich koennte mir auch vorstellen, dass Du ein super Coach waerst...

wave alias Heike,
Stuttgart,
Germany

rhz
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Arantxa, thank you for all the great memories. wish you all the best in your life after tennis. We will miss you

Messenger
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Dear Arantxa,

This year I had the opportunity to watch you win the Hopman Cup with Tommy Robredo, twelve years after you won it with Emilio. I hope you don't forget that you are still the only person ever to win the Hopman Cup twice! I'm sure that all of Spain is very proud of all that you have achieved representing your country - whether it be your Hopman Cup victory this year, your Olympics medals (especially in Barcelona), or all the Federation Cup memories with players like Conchita Martinez.

You've had a long career, and you should be very proud of all the things that you have achieved. I should also mention the three Roland Garros victories, I'm sure the French Open is a very special tournament to you and so it should be.

Good luck in the future!

(From Michael, Australia)

irma
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Arantxa
you are an example that working hard and give everything doesn't hurt at all!
good luck and all the best in the rest of your life!

bionic71
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:25 AM
A remarkable career that represented true grit and a desire to get the most out of your game. You will be missed.
Find your happiness.
Shane,
Sydney, Australia

marsha
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Thanks so much to all of you who have left messages here and those of you who sent them to me at cmstrong@mindspring.com -- as Arantxa was fond of saying to her fans when we would ask her if we were cheering loudly enough -- "Keep it going!"

We've had word that Arantxa has gone away on vacation for a week or two, so we will keep this thread going until about December 10th and then send them to her for her birthday (OR maybe send them to Belgium if she is still going to play there). So keep those wonderful messages coming in and thanks again! :)

auntie janie
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Too bad there are already so many nice messages for and about Arantxa on some other threads here, that she will never see. :(
But I will come up with something and send it to you later! :)

Messenger
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:55 PM
What a great photo Bram! :)

Come-on-kim
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Dear Arantxa,

I was so sad when I heard that you retired!! You're a great champion!!! We just have to look at what you did in your career!! I saw you playing in Brussels!! I was near your chair during the first round!! I was there when you did an autograph session! What marks me a lot, was your kindness!!!! I was so devoted with the childrens and with all the other people!!! I think you must be a great person!!

A great life for the Queen Arantxa

Axel (Belgium - inca_8@hotmail.com )

Here is a picture I took of you with your dog!!

http://brusselstournamentpictures.freewebspace.com/images/arantxa_et_son_chien.jpg

Messenger
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:19 PM
marsha, perhaps you could print out the photos and include them as well?

partyzantka
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:57 PM
My Dear Arantxa,

You will always be in my heart. You are not only a special person and amazing player, but also a true inspiraton for me, for all of us, all the time. Thank you for your never-ending support for charites, love to other people and unique identity. I admire you so much for that.

I've been following you since 1994 - it makes 8 years, 8 the most beautiful years in my life... So long.... that you became a part of me, of my life, became a friend of mine.

You gave us, you gave tennis something special. You gave amazing fighting spirit, your neverending runing on the court, lot of optymism, your smile... wonderful smile...

Arantxa, thank you for all the great memories, matches you gave us...
I will never forget the 1998 French Open Final when you came out of nowhere and won it. No one expected you to win, and you creamed them all!
That is great!

People see all of this, and love you for your great tennis, but also for that who you are and how you are.

So thank you Arantxa for that what you have done, for tennis and for me....

Good luck in your personal life, I hope you'll be happy

Ula
(partyzantka@poczta. onet.pl)

Gonzo Hates Me!
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Lovely Aranxta,

You are a fantastic player with a beautiful spirit for the game. Your countless accomplishments and devotion to your country are incredibly admirable. We'll never forget you and your wonderful career that is forever in the history books nows! Never stop playing the game!

~Nwando

Dado
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Dear Arantxa!

Thank you for all the wonderfull moments in the last years.

I enjoyed to watch you, I like your Tennis.

I wish you all the best in your future life!!!!

LOVE YOU

Zdravko
Yugoslavia

marsha
Nov 14th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by janie
Too bad there are already so many nice messages for and about Arantxa on some other threads here, that she will never see.

Well I'm going around to every thread and picking up all the kind words that I can, so don't worry about it Janie. I have some of yours and if you send more, I'll just merge them all together -- or if you e-mail me at cmstrong@mindspring.com I can tell you what I already have of yours.

Messenger
Nov 14th, 2002, 11:36 PM
marsha, are you the girl on these boards that wrote an Arantxa book?

oggie
Nov 15th, 2002, 02:34 AM
Dear Arantxa,
Since I have known for tennis, I have known of you. It is going to be very hard to fill the huge void that your departure created. You brough energy and fighting spirit to the sport never seen before, and for that, we all love you. There will always be only one Arantxa, and she will never be replaced or forgotten. Thank you for wonderfull memories. I wish you all the happiness in your life, and it would be great to see you play an exihibition match here in Canada where everybody loves you so much. Love
Oggie.
Thanks marsha for sending these messages.

marsha
Nov 16th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Caesar's Messenger
marsha, are you the girl on these boards that wrote an Arantxa book?

Nope! That would be CAZ (who is on this board) and KAT (who hasn't been here lately, but is sometimes!) May I ask what you wanted to know about the book?

And oggie, you are more than welcome. Thanks to all YOU who left messages -- much appreciated! :)

ASV
Nov 16th, 2002, 03:50 AM
I never did get a chance to buy the book.....I'm gonna search now on amazon....

Experimentee
Nov 16th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Dear Arantxa,

Thank you for all the years of joy that you have brought to my life just by seeing you play. Your fighting spirit and tenacity on court was truly an inspiration. You were one of the players that made me into a fan of tennis and I will never forget the many matches I saw over your great career. I hope you will continue to be happy and successful in whatever you do.

- Liz (Melbourne) officially_dead@hotmail.com

Messenger
Nov 16th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Oh I just remember a girl telling me about her Arantxa book, but I couldn't remember her name. Kat sounds about right.

Scott Storm
Nov 16th, 2002, 10:35 AM
I'm gonna keep it simple.
Thanks for the memories you have given all of us that like a good scrap.

Thanks for the faith and the heart that you have shown throughout your career.

Enjoy your retirement and we hope you can pass on your knowledge to the younger generation in some way, shape or form.

Let this not be the last we hear of Arantxa!

Scott Storm

saki
Nov 16th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Arantxa -

Thank you so much for all the exciting matches over the years! I only hope that you've enjoyed playing as much as your fans have enjoyed watching you. To have been a force in the game for so many years and such a positive influence on tennis in Spain through your Fed Cup & Hopman Cup victories is truly amazing and inspirational.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do in the future. If you decide to stay in tennis, I think you'd make a great commentator or even (looking at how Kuznetsova and Hantuchova have benefited from playing doubles with you) a coach!

Shreena (U.K. Shreena_K@hotmail.com)

YSL
Nov 16th, 2002, 04:48 PM
You have been a joy, delight and truly wonderful to watch over the years. If you have enjoyed playing your matches a fraction as much as I (and coutless others) have enjoyed watching them - Then I know that you will have THOROUGHLY enjoyed yourself.

All the very best for the future, and thanks again for the joy you've brought to the game :)

YSL, UK (boozywoman@hotmail.com)

marsha
Nov 17th, 2002, 02:47 PM
All of the above messages have now been printed and pasted into a scrapbook for Arantxa. However, the deadline for submitting messages has to be moved up, so that I can mail the scrapbook to Cecile, who will give it to Arantxa personally.

Please submit any messages you want included either today (Sunday, 17 Nov) or tomorrow at the latest -- thanks!

auntie janie
Nov 17th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Marsha, thanks so much for rounding up the posts from other threads! :kiss: I want Arantxa to know how many people around her will miss her very much, even those who never posted a message in this particular thread.

We look forward to your next career, Arantxa, as a tennis COACH! (please??):hearts:

marsha
Nov 24th, 2002, 04:05 PM
ABSOLUTELY YOUR LAST CHANCE TO SEND A MESSAGE TO ARANTXA...

After today, this thread will fade slowly away to the nether-reaches of wtaworld hell......