PDA

View Full Version : Which was the greatest rivalry in tennis history?

martinahfan7
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
There have been many great rivalries in tennis history. But which was the greatest? For me, it was steffi Graf v Martina Navratilova - a titanic battle between the generations and Graf's victory over Navratilova in the epic Wimbledon final of 1988 symbolised a changing of the guard as it were. But what do you think?

Smitten
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Legend/Testud.

Miss Amor
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:59 PM
Serena Williams/ Stan's Donuts

FERLKE
Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Graf vs Seles

also: Navratilova vs Evert; Hingis vs Williams Sisters; Justine vs Serena and Capriati vs Serena.

Monica_Rules
Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:06 PM
Got to be Navratilova vs Evert.

I think Graf vs Seles could have been up there but we all know what happend

serenafan08
Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
Gotta be Evert/Nav. Graf/Seles had the potential to be up there; they gave us one of the best women's matches of all time in the French Open final in 1992.

King Halep
Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
What rivalry? I always win

faboozadoo15
Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
Has to be Evert/Navratilova, by some margin. I don't think we could find a bigger contrast in playing style, look, personality, etc.

The way Evert amped up her game once Martina was regularly demolishing her is really something admirable, just as admirable as Martina getting into PRIME shape in order to beat Chris.

thrust
Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
EVERT-NAVRATILOVA
COURT-KING
GRAF-NAVRATILOVA
COURT-BUENO
SERENA-JUSTINE
JUSTINE-KIM
VENUS-SERENA

EVERT-NAV Definitely #1, due to the number of matches they played.

CloudAtlas
Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:15 PM
Evert/Navratilova is probably the greatest rivalry ever , even more-so than any rivalry in the men's game.

traxillo
Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:19 PM
Davenport - Hingis ???

martinahfan7
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
The Caro/Petra H2H is currently 3-2 to Caro. However, in the last 3 matches, it's 2-1 to Petra which I think is the more significant stat given that those 3 matches took place during the period Petra began to emerge as a top flight player. These 3 matches were all quarter finals with Petra demolishing Caro 6-2 6-0 at Wimbledon 2010 and cruising to victory 6-4 6-2 at the 2011 WTA Tour Championships. Caro's win occurred at the China Open when Petra was going through a lull during October 2010. Interestingly, all 5 of their matches have been 2 setters

Apologies to Justine for missing out the 'e' in her name. Typing on an iPhone can be a pain

ExtremespeedX
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:21 AM
Wozniacki/Sharapova has got to be up there.

danieln1
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:30 AM
Davenport - Hingis ???

First one I thought, should have been included in the poll.

From the poll, Hingis Venus had so many good matches, so much drama, personally is my favorite.

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:54 AM
I voted for Evert/Navratilova.

No other pair met as many times in Slam finals (14 times!) and the rivalry was very competitive, unlike for example some Graf-Navratilova matches, where Graf won the most important matches (she took 4 of the 6 Slam finals they contested).

Graf/Seles COULD'VE been as good, but... we all know that the stabbing ruined the rivalry.

Hingis vs the Williams sisters were pretty good matches, but they never met that many times in Slam finals.

Serena/Venus matches are pretty boring tbh, they never had that many good matches, so I wouldn't count theirs as the best rivalry.

Serena/Henin had everything to become the best rivalry, but they never met each other at their peaks, and only played one slam final.

Henin/Clijsters was great, but Kim never dominated the sport to be considered such an important rivalry

Kvitova/Wozniacki is not even a rivalry yet in my opinion, and Caro has to catch up with Petra fast 'cause she's beaten her too many times lately

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
Evert/Navratilova.

Davenport/Hingis should be up there on the list.

OsloErik
Dec 23rd, 2011, 02:33 AM
Of all time, it's Evert-Navratilova. Best match-up ever.

But in the past 15 year (and it's not even listed :tape:) S. Williams vs. Capriati.

danieln1
Dec 23rd, 2011, 02:41 AM
Of all time, it's Evert-Navratilova. Best match-up ever.

But in the past 15 year (and it's not even listed :tape:) S. Williams vs. Capriati.

Great idea of a thread, but the poll is kind of a mess. But I even forgot this amazing rivalry

Bonfire
Dec 23rd, 2011, 02:57 AM
Serena/Jennifer for me personally:shrug:
but Chris/Martina feels like the correct answer

OsloErik
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:18 AM
Has to be Evert/Navratilova, by some margin. I don't think we could find a bigger contrast in playing style, look, personality, etc.

The way Evert amped up her game once Martina was regularly demolishing her is really something admirable, just as admirable as Martina getting into PRIME shape in order to beat Chris.

Evert/Navratilova is probably the greatest rivalry ever , even more-so than any rivalry in the men's game.

That's the big thing for me, the rivalry had such an interesting transition between dominance, parity, dominance, parity, with both of them dominating for large chunks of it and then going through a re-adjustment. Plus, the contrast.

As far as what men's rivalry compares, Borg-Connors or Borg-McEnroe is the only modern rivalry I can think of that even approaches, and neither of those had the sheer volume of matches to compare to Evert-Navratilova.

In The Zone
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:32 AM
TENNIS HISTORY???????

There should only be 3 and one clearly trumps the other 2. We are talking HISTORY. Davenport/Hingis, Serena/Henin might be noteworthy but in terms of tennis HISTORY? They are mini chapters.

Evert/Navratilova, Graf/Seles, Serena/Venus. Evert/Navratilova trumps them all.

young_gunner913
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:36 AM
Serena vs Herself - The only player that stopped her from being an even greater GOAT. :sad:

cowsonice
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:40 AM
Personal fave is between the Belgians

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:08 AM
TENNIS HISTORY???????

There should only be 3 and one clearly trumps the other 2. We are talking HISTORY. Davenport/Hingis, Serena/Henin might be noteworthy but in terms of tennis HISTORY? They are mini chapters.

Agreed. Thing is, Serena/Venus is too much of a weird rivalry to be considered with the other 2.

Their matches never lived up to the expectations (maybe except the 2003 AO F, or the 2008 Wimbledon one, but that was only straight sets), but they do deserve a big mention as a rivalry for contesting 4 consecutive Slam finals.

I'd rate Evert/Navratilova in 1st place, Graf/Seles 2nd, and Serena/Venus contesting with maybe Graf/ASV, Hingis/Venus rivalries for the 3rd place

Lord Choc Ice
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:18 AM
Chris-Martina.

Though I reckon it would've been pretty boring after a while watching them square off all the time.

OsloErik
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:20 AM
TENNIS HISTORY???????

Add Court-King to that. They had an epic rivalry, too.

Craig.
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:21 AM
Petra Kvitova vs Caroline Wozniacki :bigcry: That made my night.

moby
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:30 AM
Evert/Navratilova is one of the greatest rivalries in sports history.

DefyingGravity
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:34 AM
Evert and Navratilova actually made tennis famous. People STILL know who these two are, even if they've never watched a tennis match in their life.

Mistress of Evil
Dec 23rd, 2011, 05:27 AM
Clearly, no doubt about it, it is Evert/Navratilova. :shrug:

Alejandrawrrr
Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:35 AM
Wozniacka-Radwanska

SilverPersian
Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
Stosur and Kirilenko :bigcry:

Theodoropen
Dec 23rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
Stosur and Kirilenko :bigcry:

:haha: and :sobbing:

Sam L
Dec 23rd, 2011, 09:05 AM
1. Chris and Martina
2. Steffi and Monica

Martina was too old for Steffi. No other rivalries come quite close imo.

Fighterpova
Dec 23rd, 2011, 11:14 AM
The last option :oh:

thrust
Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:45 PM

Actually, Rosewall played Laver many more times than Evert played Navratilova. Most of these matches were on the Pro Tour, so were hardly noticed by most tennis fans.

thrust
Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Before the stabbing, Graf and Seles played 4 slam finals, with Monica winning 3 of them. After Monica's return, Steffi was 2-0 in slam finals, and 1-1 in pre finals. Therefore, I think their slam H-H is 4-4

miffedmax
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Martina vs. Chrissie is by far the greatest in tennis, and arguably the greatest in all of individual sport.

They were so dominant that we tend to forget there were still a lot of other good players active in their era, but there were.

evana
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Serena - Elena D. :awww:

Ryan
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Legend/Testud.

Preach. :devil:

Super Dave
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:44 PM
http://chrisevert.net/rivalsbook.jpg

Sombrerero loco
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM