PDA

View Full Version : Taiwan Exo: Legend def. Graf 7-6

Smitten
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
Legend will take on Graf in Taiwan in singles next May.

Taipei, Dec. 19 (CNA) Former grand slam tournament winners Martina Hingis and Goran Ivanisevic will join tennis legends Andre Agassi and his wife Steffi Graf for exhibition matches in Taipei next May.

Graf's appearance had previously been announced by promoter Integration Sports not long after it held a successful exhibition between Agassi and Marat Safin in early January.

In filling out the lineup for the exhibition next May, Integration Sports CEO Jeff Hsu was happy to get the mercurial Ivanisevic, known for an extremely powerful serve and occasional temper tantrums, and Hingis, one of the women's game's best strategists.

"I think it was important to bring new faces to Taiwan. Graf and Hingis both have a lot of fans here, and I'm sure they'll have a lot of appeal," Hsu said Monday.

The exhibition matches, slated for Taipei Arena on May 26, will consist of two singles matches -- Agassi vs. Ivanisevic and Graf vs. Hingis -- and a mixed doubles.

The two singles matches will bring back memories of Agassi's first Grand Slam title, when he beat Ivanisevic in five sets in the 1992 Wimbledon final, and Graf's last major title, a three-set win over Hingis at the 1999 French Open after the Swiss Miss imploded over a line call and blew a 6-4, 2-0 lead.

The four tennis legends won a total of 36 Grand Slam singles titles between them during their careers. Graf had 22, Agassi eight, Hingis five and Ivanisevic one, when he improbably won Wimbledon as a wild card in 2001.

Ticket prices for the event will range between NT$800 and NT$10,000 (for seats in the first two rows around the court), similar to last year's exhibition between Agassi and Safin.

Hsu said more of an effort has been made, however, to offer seats in the mid-price range in the arena's lower level, and prices will be discounted by 10 percent for tickets purchased between Jan. 5 and Jan. 7, 2012 when

Kworb
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
Legend to increase her lead in the H2H to 5-3.

Brad[le]y.
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
Legend to increase her lead in the H2H to 5-3.

i assume you consider RG 1999 and Tokyo 1997 as wins? :spit:

Kworb
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
i assume you consider RG 1999 and Tokyo 1997 as wins? :spit:

Yes. And the 1995 matches don't count because Legend was only 14 years old, and the YEC match doesn't count because it was five sets, although that could also be considered a win for Legend because she won two of the three sets where she didn't tank.

Ryan
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:45 PM
Yes. And the 1995 matches don't count because Legend was only 14 years old, and the YEC match doesn't count because it was five sets, although that could also be considered a win for Legend because she won two of the three sets where she didn't tank.

Love the revisionist history, as a fan of Legend. :drool:

NoppaNoppa
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
Next stop. Wimbledon mixed doubles :p

Apoleb
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
You know very well that if Steffi agrees to play, she's looking to roast a nice piece of ass. :drool:

Super Dave
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Graf plays like a granny now and Legend is in hella shape. Martina will crush, kill, destroy.

ranfurly
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
Legend will double penetrate the Graf Forehand and Serve like a breadstick thrusting the innards of a Bagel. Legend 6-0 6-0

ranfurly
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
..and then she'll come back for seconds.

JJ all the way
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:11 PM
I hope Legend will be practicing her underhand serve....

LoveFifteen
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:21 PM
This whole Legend thing still gives me so much life! :rolls: :hearts:

young_gunner913
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Legend Graf vs Urban Myth Hingis, should be a great exho. :worship:

Nicolás89
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
Legend Graf vs Urban Myth Hingis, should be a great exho. :worship:

More like Myth Graf vs Legend. :p
Seriously, Graf should be considered mythological...given her age and all.

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hopefully there will atleast be a live stream of " The Legends Match Up " :p

young_gunner913
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:58 PM
More like Myth Graf vs Legend. :p
Seriously, Graf should be considered mythological...given her age and all.

Fine. Urban Myth vs Urban Meth. :oh:

Mynarco
Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:15 PM
Legend should practice hitting the lines now :inlove:
Steffi WHO? Legend 60 60

freeandlonely
Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:41 PM
Taiwan don't deserve this.
Let alone National Tennis Center, we don't even have a shit court.

égalité
Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
Fine. Urban Myth vs Urban Meth. :oh:

nooooo :hysteric:

Legend Wingis will hit a drop-shot winner on every point using telekinesis will demolish Grandma Steffi in two golden sets. And then she will invoke her time-traveling skills to go back 12 years and win the 1999 French Open final.

tracytracy22
Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:08 PM
Urban myth vs Urban meth...ha! But seriously, hingis better crush graf after what went down at the french open final. I hope she acts real friendly and everything and uses that big smile of hers...then destroys her.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:51 PM
It would be hilarious if Graf crushed Wingis despite being 10 years older, just like in 1999.

Bluish
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
I'm worried for Martina, Steffi has been using the Wii to keep fit! :tears:

Ryan
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
It would be hilarious if Graf crushed Wingis despite being 10 years older, just like in 1999.

She's STILL 10 years older, now? Wow, your math skills are fantastic. :bowdown:

spencercarlos
Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:53 AM
Graf to win 4-6 7-5 6-2 :oh:

Bonfire
Dec 23rd, 2011, 02:42 AM
Wow! Great exhibition match-up:eek: Definitely looking forward to this one!

btw...what happened with the Hingis/Capriati exhibition match that was being talked about?
any updates?

moby
Dec 23rd, 2011, 05:05 AM
Fine. Urban Myth vs Urban Meth. :oh:I'm confused by this joke. Who is what? Meth is associated with the Agassi clan right?

I hope the Legend comes prepared, cause we have no idea what Mr. Agassi will be feeding his wife before to get an unfair advantage.
It will be a tough match anyway since Mrs. Agassi is playing at a top 5 level judging from practice sessions with Petkovic.
Still, Wingis killed de facto #1 Sarin in the match of the year this summer, so I ain't worried.

LeonHart
Dec 23rd, 2011, 05:20 AM
Yay, in Taiwan of all places. Wish I could be there!

Lord Choc Ice
Dec 23rd, 2011, 06:05 AM
How much are you willing to bet there'll be some gag with a crossing of the net or an underarm serve? :lol:

Apoleb
Dec 23rd, 2011, 06:32 AM
If I were Steffi, I'd be quite worried about my husband and keep an eye on him.

There's more than one way to bond with Snortina.

metamorpha
Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:53 AM

Good try at making stuff, but it's corny.

It's more than 10 years since that infamous 1999 RG final, they are both old now, married and washed. LOL

Smitten
Dec 23rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
I'm confused by this joke. Who is what? Meth is associated with the Agassi clan right?

I hope the Legend comes prepared, cause we have no idea what Mr. Agassi will be feeding his wife before to get an unfair advantage.
It will be a tough match anyway since Mrs. Agassi is playing at a top 5 level judging from practice sessions with Petkovic.
Still, Wingis killed de facto #1 Sarin in the match of the year this summer, so I ain't worried.

Legend seared Sarin this summer. It was an amazing performance reminiscent of the days when she ruled the tour.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:38 AM
wingis will destroy her 60 61 or similar

Sombrerero loco
Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM

:facepalm:

hankqq
Dec 23rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Graf gave Clijsters a tough time during their exo at Wimbledon a couple years ago and practices with Agassi. Hingis certainly won't have an easy time against her either.

Londoner
Dec 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM
What i would do to see this! 2 greats and 2 of my faves of all time. But where do they decide to do this? No offence, but Tai bloody wan! as if I could get there! How inconsiderate of them! I'm sure Taiwan is lovely but next time play somewhere in Europe I can get to!

There better be some live streaming/tv coverage!

renstar
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Funny how 'washed up', 'granny' graf was only just beaten by Clijsters in that Wimbledon EXO a couple of years back... so lets face it Hingis' powder puff game will be bashed to oblivion..... Hingis always did have a weird bunch of whacko fans, this thread confirms it

barmaid
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
Funny how 'washed up', 'granny' graf was only just beaten by Clijsters in that Wimbledon EXO a couple of years back... so lets face it Hingis' powder puff game will be bashed to oblivion..... Hingis always did have a weird bunch of whacko fans, this thread confirms it
Lighten up! :lol:This is only going to be another "giggle fest" nothing too competitive at all and I take exception to your reference of Hingis' fans being weird:rolleyes: right back at ya weirdo:help:

Barmaid:wavey:

melodynelson
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Graf is going to kill Hingis, just like practically every other time they played before. I can't wait.

Ryan
Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:08 PM

Whacko? Says the troll from the global warming thread. :spit:

moby
Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Graf gave Clijsters a tough time during their exo at Wimbledon a couple years ago and practices with Agassi. Hingis certainly won't have an easy time against her either.Did you just attempt to compare Legend to a cockroach? Sit the f*** down.

metamorpha
Dec 23rd, 2011, 02:13 PM

And people seemed so excited like they're high on coke after seeing that match. Graf footwork was non-existent as well as her stamina yet people expected her to make a comeback. What a joke. Granny will break her own legs for sure. I should also remind you that another granny named Kimiko beat her in exo.

Now, even Hingis in-a-state-of-euphoria will wipe the floor with her.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 23rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Graf is going to kill Hingis, just like practically every other time they played before. I can't wait.

please, stop trolling :facepalm:

melodynelson
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:11 PM
please, stop trolling :facepalm:

6-2 6-3, 6-3 6-1, 6-1 6-4, 7-5 6-3, 6-2 4-6 6-0, 4-6 7-5 6-2 (third to last tournament of her career), and bageled her twice in the best of five match they played.

Hingis' wins? 2-6 6-2 6-3, 3-6 6-2 6-4 (Graf injured, pressed by Martina's juggling skills).

Fast indoor Asian court will suit Fraulein Forehand just fine.

ranfurly
Dec 23rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
I don't know if people are actually joking or they are truly defensive.

Graf and Hingis despite the dichotomy between fan bases, are greats of the sport, it's wonderful that two players, whilst retired still give to the sport and give people like us an opportunity to see them play again in a more relaxed setting, and some of you still hang onto the apron strings of days gone by to impose inferiority on each player in comparison to the other.

Get a fricken grip and enjoy what you may see.

young_gunner913
Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Gotta love how delusional Mythtina stans are. :lol:

hankqq
Dec 23rd, 2011, 11:18 PM
Did you just attempt to compare Legend to a cockroach? Sit the f*** down.

:happy: How many goodreps from Hingis fans did you get for this post?

ExtremespeedX
Dec 23rd, 2011, 11:23 PM

Graf tanked that match anyway - it would be a real loss of face for the WTA tour if a 40+ Graf beat Pushjsters even in an exho. 20-22 year old Graf on 90's grass would double bagel the Belgian.

Nicolás89
Dec 23rd, 2011, 11:31 PM

I love more how some pressed hatas throw unoriginal shade and can't even make proper jokes. :shrug:

J4m3ka
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:28 AM

:spit:

Smitten
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:49 AM

Not a fan of Bethanie Mattek-Sands. You know your favorite is local when her biggest career accomplishment is Hopman Cup.

Always shading Legend when even her 2007 is better than anything Bethanie has and will ever do.

cellophane
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:42 PM
This thread :lol:

Only on tennisforum

Queenpova
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Legendtina

vozas
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Legend will dropshot Granny to exhaustion.

vozas
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Not a fan of Bethanie Mattek-Sands. You know your favorite is local when her biggest career accomplishment is Hopman Cup.

Always shading Legend when even her 2007 is better than anything Bethanie has and will ever do.

:happy::happy::happy::worship::worship:

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:23 PM
How fun! I hope we somehow get to see this!
Go Granny Graf GOAT!!!

LoveFifteen
Feb 17th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I just hope Legend does at least one underhanded serve. :hearts:

AlwaysGraf
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I just hope Legend does at least one underhanded serve. :hearts:

you know what-i wouldn't be surprised if we did see it-she has a sense of humour, as does graf, and i can imagine them getting a laugh out of it

tonybotz
Feb 17th, 2012, 08:41 PM
this is epic!!! if steffi snorted some meth, and martina some coke, imagine the quality of tennis we'll see! :oh:

Chip.
Feb 17th, 2012, 08:48 PM

:hysteric:

Anabelcroft
Feb 18th, 2012, 05:19 AM
And the 1995 matches don't count because Legend was only 14 years old, and the YEC match doesn't count because it was five sets, although that could also be considered a win for Legend because she won two of the three sets where she didn't tank.

And your opinion doesn't count :lol:

pascal77
Feb 18th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Hingis should've declined for Graf is too old to be a decent rival. However Hingis will kill Granny Graf. Hingis defeated Davenport after she retired in 2007. The thing is if Hingis would tank to entertain spectators.

vozas
Feb 18th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Hingis should've declined for Graf is too old to be a decent rival. However Hingis will kill Granny Graf. Hingis defeated Davenport after she retired in 2007. The thing is if Hingis would tank to entertain spectators.

Legend will do how she sees fit.

Anabelcroft
Feb 18th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Graf is too old to be a decent rival.

That's why she wants to play ;) Old wounds never heal ;)

Smitten
Feb 20th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Can't wait.

http://i41.tinypic.com/mv6e81.gif

ToopsTame
Feb 20th, 2012, 04:00 AM
LOL, you Hingis fans are a special kind of deluded. I bow to your inanity. :worship:

Smitten
Feb 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM
We're the best fanbase on the board.

Apoleb
Feb 20th, 2012, 06:14 PM
LOL, you Hingis fans are a special kind of deluded. I bow to your inanity. :worship:

They are eternally pressed, like their favorite. Their favorite couldn't win a single major without beating the scraps of the Graf era, quit when she couldn't handle her loserness, and then ended up getting coked. So of course they developed all kind of myths and "legends" that could make a third sequel for the Illiad and the Odyssey - probably including wins in "Legends" competitions and exhibitions.

Nicolás89
Feb 20th, 2012, 06:28 PM
They are eternally pressed, like their favorite. Their favorite couldn't win a single major without beating the scraps of the Graf era, quit when she couldn't handle her loserness, and then ended up getting coked. So of course they developed all kind of myths and "legends" that could make a third sequel for the Illiad and the Odyssey - probably including wins in "Legends" competitions and exhibitions.

Seriously? All this coming from a poster whose fav won +10 slams facing no competition at all. :lol:

Sammo
Feb 20th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Can't wait.

http://i41.tinypic.com/mv6e81.gif

:lol::worship:

Nicolás89
May 27th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Legend dispatched the peasant Graf obv., she even gave her a few games to make it seem competitive. :worship:

hingis-seles
May 27th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Articles? Highlights? Score? Anything?

RND
May 27th, 2012, 06:22 AM
j4m-c1927DM

ElusiveChanteuse
May 27th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Hingis won.:lol: Of course she won a player like 10 years older than her. Graf is kind to Hingis after Hingis allowed her to win her last slam in RG.:oh:

ElusiveChanteuse
May 27th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I love how Steffi kept it simple, bringing just a couple of rackets and a cloth with her.:worship:

PetraReeMona
May 27th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Legend dispatched the peasant Graf obv., she even gave her a few games to make it seem competitive. :worship:

Yayyyyyy ..... it's so much better winning an exho than winning a slam match..... you being a Woz fan would know about that wouldn't you? :oh:

:spit:

Steffi ..... the greatest ever .... 22 >>>>>>>> 5 :tape: :worship::worship:

Your faves could neva ..... oops, they haven't :oh:

Brad[le]y.
May 27th, 2012, 07:21 AM
no surprise, people can't stop talking about Legend. Keeping people pressed, keep going girl :D

NeKo
May 27th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Yayyyyyy ..... it's so much better winning an exho than winning a slam match.....

Do I have to remind you who is the youngest ever wta player to win a grand slam? And also who is the best WTA player we ever had?
M_ _ _ _ _ A H _ _ _ _ S

Sombrerero loco
May 27th, 2012, 07:49 AM
its 50-50 now, lol
we all now martina will win this

Utautai
May 27th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hingis won.:lol: Of course she won a player like 10 years older than her. Graf is kind to Hingis after Hingis allowed her to win her last slam in RG.:oh:

Yeah, tell that to Safina when she played Kimiko Date-Krumm in RG 2010. :bigcry:

Smitten
May 27th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Legend won.

Taipei, May 26 (CNA) Martina Hingis beat Steffi Graf 7-6.

First on court were the ladies, who pumped up the crowd with a mixture of playfulness and intense action.

At one game all, after two nail-biting deuce games, Graf handed her racket to a ball boy -- a strategy Agassi adopted last year in Taipei against Russia's Marat Safin -- and asked him to play a point against Hingis.

Far from getting stage fright, the boy actually caught Hingis, known as the Swiss Miss, off-guard and stole a point for Graf, causing the crowd to erupt into cheers.

In retaliation, the five-time Grand Slam winner immediately handed her racket to a ball girl. Despite a valiant effort, the young girl however failed to take a point off the German star, who is married to Agassi.

Utautai
May 27th, 2012, 10:51 AM
:worship: http://img1.cna.com.tw/www/WebPhotos/FirstNews/common/20120526/9718405.jpghttp://img1.cna.com.tw/www/WebPhotos/FirstNews/common/20120526/36207681.jpg :worship:

pascal77
May 27th, 2012, 11:15 AM
congrats, Hingis ,she could have done better.

Anabelcroft
May 27th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Just look at 1.05 pont...what quickness from Graf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvoUzYhV8fs

at the age of 42,almost 43...

Anabelcroft
May 27th, 2012, 11:36 AM
congrats, Hingis ,she could have done better.

Don't take this seriously...it was an exo match where points for the players where even played by the ball kids :wavey:

Sombrerero loco
May 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM
martina was so kind to tank 6 games to graf to make it longer and more entertaining for the fans. thank you, martina

LoveFifteen
May 29th, 2012, 02:30 PM
:hearts: @ Legend

:tape: @ the empty stands.

Raiden
May 29th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Hingis defeated Davenport after she retired in 2007...Yes, she's defeated almost everyone AFTER she retired :lol:

retired legend > pre-retirement myth

Sammo
May 29th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Yes, she's defeated almost everyone... but only AFTER she retired :lol:

That doesn't make any sense.

Raiden
May 29th, 2012, 03:34 PM
^
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web04/2012/5/18/15/anigif_enhanced-buzz-4040-1337370877-6.gif