PDA

View Full Version : Is Dominika Cibulkova the Amanda Coetzer of this generation?

Julian.
Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:54 PM
Amanda Coetzer entered the top-20 on the women's world rankings in 1992 and remained there for most of the next 10 years. She developed a reputation for regularly beating players who were higher ranked than her as she climbed to her career high ranking of World No. 3 in 1997. As a result of her many upset wins and her small size, she earned the nickname "The Little Assassin."

Coetzer's best result at grand slam: AO-SF, FO-SF, W-4R, USO-QF

Coetzer's Height: 158 cm (5 ft 2˝ in)

Dominika has broken into the Top 20 a few years ago and has been a regular member of the Top 20 since then. She has climbed as high as #12 in the ranking so far. And like Coetzer, she also often beat players who were ranked than her (Wozniacki, Kuznetsova, Zvonareva, etc.) She is also one of the smallest players on the tour.

Cibulkova's best result at grand slam so far: AO-4R, FO-SF, W-QF, USO-QF

Cibulkova's Height: 5 ft 3 in (1.60 m)

Do you think Domi will break into the Top 10, even the Top 5 like what Amanda did in the 1990s?

Sammo
Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:58 PM
Cibulkova is so not gonna get to number 3 :lol:

New_balls_please
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Manda is hotter :drool:

Petkorazzi
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
It still baffles me how Domi reached the Wimby QF. :spit: IIRC she hadn't won a single match on grass in her first 3 years on tour or something. :lol:

Monica_Rules
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
Its quite a good comparison really but Dominika is probably more aggressive than Amanda ever was. It will be interesting to see how she develops over the next few years.

Smitten
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Coetzer is far better than her.

Cibulkova will be lucky to have a Sugiyama type career singles wise.

Stonerpova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Coetzer is far better than her.

Cibulkova will be lucky to have a Sugiyama type career singles wise.

Sugiyama never got to a slam semi.

Smitten
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Sugiyama never got to a slam semi.

And?

She won a Tier II title, reached Tier I Fs, was top 10, qualified for the YEC, has wins over Henin, Clijsters, Pierce, Davenport, etc.

lang26
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
she have career more like her country woman Daniela Hantuchová both women have talent no doubt and could cause upset but always lose at the big moments or when the need to win the most. for example Hantuchova losing in SF at 2008 Australian Open Ivanović and this year 2011 French Open to Kuznetsova in 4th, and same with Cibulkova losing 2009 French Open to Safina in SF. & so far both Career finals are bad, hopefully they get together for 2012.

Bosco123
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:20 PM
Cibulkova could only dream of beating the best player in her generation 4 times!

Julian.
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Cibulkova could only dream of beating the best player in her generation 4 times!

and who is the best player of her generation? :lol: Serena isn't from the same generation as Domi.

Bosco123
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
and who is the best player of her generation? :lol: Serena isn't from the same generation as Domi.

head 2 head versus Kvitova 4-0 :wavey:

Just Do It
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Dominica is a regular top 20 player ? :sobbing: I guess I am not checking rankings as often as I should.

Julian.
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
head 2 head versus Kvitova 4-0 :wavey:

So what? :lol: We can't say Kvitova is the best player of her generation yet :lol:

Djezonfly
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:53 PM

She already beat Caro twice this year :oh:

Calvin M.
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:45 AM
Never made the connection but it's a GOOD one. Yep, I agree. Cibulkova is Coetzer 2.0.

Bonfire
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:55 AM
Coetzer:hearts:

BlueTrees
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:41 AM
LOL Cibulkova could only dream to get to #3 in the world. Dumb comparison. :facepalm:

Holdsworth
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:44 AM
It still baffles me how Domi reached the Wimby QF. :spit: IIRC she hadn't won a single match on grass in her first 3 years on tour or something. :lol:
Because she changed her game.. Now she plays much more agressively, than 2-3 years ago

Holdsworth
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:45 AM
And?

She won a Tier II title, reached Tier I Fs, was top 10
Domi did the same

Tunk
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:54 AM
Yes! She can

spencercarlos
Dec 23rd, 2011, 06:00 AM
Amanda Coetzer entered the top-20 on the women's world rankings in 1992 and remained there for most of the next 10 years. She developed a reputation for regularly beating players who were higher ranked than her as she climbed to her career high ranking of World No. 3 in 1997. As a result of her many upset wins and her small size, she earned the nickname "The Little Assassin."

Coetzer's best result at grand slam: AO-SF, FO-SF, W-4R, USO-QF

Coetzer's Height: 158 cm (5 ft 2˝ in)

Dominika has broken into the Top 20 a few years ago and has been a regular member of the Top 20 since then. She has climbed as high as #12 in the ranking so far. And like Coetzer, she also often beat players who were ranked than her (Wozniacki, Kuznetsova, Zvonareva, etc.) She is also one of the smallest players on the tour.

Cibulkova's best result at grand slam so far: AO-4R, FO-SF, W-QF, USO-QF

Cibulkova's Height: 5 ft 3 in (1.60 m)

Do you think Domi will break into the Top 10, even the Top 5 like what Amanda did in the 1990s?
Coetzer was not really the third best player in the world like never in her life. She had a Wozniacki like inflated ranking in 1997, but she was miles behind Hingis, Seles, Novotna or even Pierce, who practically trounced her time after time that year (exception of Amanda's lone win vs Hingis indoors).

That being said Coetzer's 1997 slam results SF SF R2 R4 are not the overall year slam results of a top three player.
Her tournament wins in 1997 include Luxembourg and Budapest, Tier III and Tier IV events.

People act like Coetzer was a top 3 player during her whole carreer, when it was basically the fluke combination of the demise of Graf era and the introduction of this new ranking non average system that awards quantity and not quality. Otherwise Coetzer would have been in the bottom of the top ten in 1997 with her results.

Coetzer played in a far more difficult era, and she has the game similar to Wozniacki that today would be something like a top 5 player in a consistent basis, and not the regular top 15 player that she was for her whole carreer.

Dominika is far more powerful, but she surely needs more tournament wins better showing at slams in order to get to Amanda's level.

BartoliBabes
Dec 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
i don't think this is a good comparison

ranfurly
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:06 PM
I understand where the OP is coming from with the comparison.

Due to some similarities in each of their games, height, lack of power, yet still distinct enough. You will never get a player from a different era fully moulded into one from a previous, but there are comparisons to each that can be linked.

I don't believe Cibulkova will attain the results like Coetzer did during her 10+ year hiatus, arguably even if many think the WTA at the moment is in a recession compared to previous years, it should have (or has?) progressed enough to negate a game like Cibulkova's and thwart it. Unfortunately, due to inconsistencies in many players, it gives Dominka chances to come through, so she's doing something right.

If Coetzer was to come back at her level in 97, I wouldn't see her posing a threat to the solid players at all. Whilst I enjoyed watching her play, and was one of my players I'd sit up to watch for, I feel her game wouldn't be effective as it once was.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM
coetzer was way better than domi is...

miffedmax
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:36 PM
I don't think Cibulkova has the turbos that Amanda did. Coetzer was like pocket rocket.

Lena's bangs.

Ryan
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Domi's a solid player, but Amanda PERFECTED the retriever style, and had some extremely impressive wins. Her highlights, longevity and being in a stronger era definitely make her the better player. But yes, Cibulkova is a nice comparison.

madmax
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
LOL, the current Pocket Rocket is much more powerfull and can absolutely bludgeon the ball given the opportunity...Ciba ain't a pusher either. Horrible comparison

MakarovaFan
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM
Coetzer was not really the third best player in the world like never in her life. She had a Wozniacki like inflated ranking in 1997, but she was miles behind Hingis, Seles, Novotna or even Pierce, who practically trounced her time after time that year (exception of Amanda's lone win vs Hingis indoors).

That being said Coetzer's 1997 slam results SF SF R2 R4 are not the overall year slam results of a top three player.
Her tournament wins in 1997 include Luxembourg and Budapest, Tier III and Tier IV events.

People act like Coetzer was a top 3 player during her whole carreer, when it was basically the fluke combination of the demise of Graf era and the introduction of this new ranking non average system that awards quantity and not quality. Otherwise Coetzer would have been in the bottom of the top ten in 1997 with her results.

Coetzer played in a far more difficult era, and she has the game similar to Wozniacki that today would be something like a top 5 player in a consistent basis, and not the regular top 15 player that she was for her whole carreer.

Dominika is far more powerful, but she surely needs more tournament wins better showing at slams in order to get to Amanda's level.

Since When??? I think you don't like Coetzer, at one point her GS record was QF,SF,SF,2rd(and that 2rd was a loss to Graf at Wimbledon)!!!! Over her career she made at least the QFs of a GS 7 times, with 3 SFs; made the F's of 5 Tier 1 events(winning 1!!) ; Had multiple wins over Graf,Hingis,and wins over Seles,Venus,Novotna,Davenport,Sanchez-V,Martinez,Pierce

Also what does that say about Cibulkova who in a horribly weak era can't get break the top 10 lol

Julian.
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
Also what does that say about Cibulkova who in a horribly weak era can't get break the top 10 lol

Domi has already achieved more than Amanda did when she was at Domi's age right now.

Sean.
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:33 PM

Nor had Kvitova before Wimbledon 2010. Just saying. :p

To answer the OP though, Domi needs to keep it up for a few more years & get some other scalps before the comparison can be made.

Drake1980
Dec 23rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
The only comparison is the height really! They are both cure too of course!

MakarovaFan
Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Domi has already achieved more than Amanda did when she was at Domi's age right now.

First of all what does that have to do with my post that you quoted???

And more importantly, that's not even really true: They both had 2 top 20 finishes by the age of 22; Coetzer had won 2 titles(more than Dominika); Coezter had more top 10 victories but Dominika had the better GS results....so if you think getting further in a GS is 'achieving more' than career titles, top 10 wins, rank etc then okay :confused:

Oh and sidenote, Hingis achieved more as a teenager than Venus,Serena,Henin,Graf,Navratilova etc but look where she ended up....Sharapova achieved just as much at 21 as Serena but don't you dare start a Serena VS Maria thread. So wrapping it up, what does that even mean??

Julian.
Dec 23rd, 2011, 08:22 PM
First of all what does that have to do with my post that you quoted???

I was just saying that Amanda had not broken into the Top 10 too when she was 22 (Domi's current age).

MH0861
Dec 23rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
I think Wozniacki and Coetzer is the more accurate comparison game wise (with Caroline obviously having better results)

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 23rd, 2011, 11:43 PM
I was just saying that Amanda had not broken into the Top 10 too when she was 22 (Domi's current age).
That's because Dom playing in a weaker era :lol:

ExtremespeedX
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:34 AM
It still baffles me how Domi reached the Wimby QF. :spit:

She had an easy draw, especially 4th round :shrug:

spencercarlos
Dec 24th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Since When??? I think you don't like Coetzer, at one point her GS record was QF,SF,SF,2rd(and that 2rd was a loss to Graf at Wimbledon)!!!! Over her career she made at least the QFs of a GS 7 times, with 3 SFs; made the F's of 5 Tier 1 events(winning 1!!) ; Had multiple wins over Graf,Hingis,and wins over Seles,Venus,Novotna,Davenport,Sanchez-V,Martinez,Pierce

Coetzer's record for a player that reached the top three is rather weak. Even second row players like Sukova, Mary Joe Fernandez, Huber, Date have a better record and were eventually real top ten players for a lot of time in their carreers, unlike Amanda who was top ten basically in 1997 and a little bit of 98. In fact in 1998 she dropped to 17th even having won a Tier I event (over Spirlea in the final).

She was a road runner, she was very consistent, but she was not really a top ten player of her time. Period.

Calvin M.
Dec 30th, 2011, 02:30 AM
I think Wozniacki and Coetzer is the more accurate comparison game wise (with Caroline obviously having better results)

I thought the comparison here was because Cibulkova is Coetzer's height.