PDA

View Full Version : 2012 ASB Classic

everythingtaboo
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:25 AM
Because I'm bored of the off-season I thought I'd start a topic for Sabine's first tournament of 2012.

Quite a solid player field with Sveta, Flavia, Julia & Peng all in MD. Oh, and it looks like Sabine is the #1 seeded player so here's hoping for a solid run, or another title.

Draw will be available 31st of December. Tournament begins January 2nd. :)

Tournament website: http://asbclassic.co.nz/

Ian Aberdon
Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Dunno if I should say...I would prefer that she was NOT top seed - too much expectation for my liking. :unsure:

everythingtaboo
Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
As soon as I saw that I thought the same. But it's an international, and she's got nothing to defend. So here's hoping she plays all her matches relaxed.

Mojobackhand
Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
She better get used to being top seeded. ;)

hellas719
Dec 23rd, 2011, 08:20 PM
GL Sabs! :bounce:

Sabinator.
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Sabine as "1" Seed :eek: :hearts: I'm so excited :cheer:

Mojobackhand
Dec 29th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Practice in Auckland:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/395554_181849625246281_123946734369904_287727_9377 49359_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/398832_181849701912940_123946734369904_287729_8548 61961_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/397605_181849935246250_123946734369904_287734_5022 2630_n.jpg

everythingtaboo
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
This is slightly off-topic but her hair has gotten sooooo long. That's a very Mary Pierce-esque braid she has going there. :hearts:

Mojobackhand
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:57 PM
"Top seed Sabine Lisicki will open against French wild card Virginie Razzano."

mk27
Dec 30th, 2011, 10:45 PM
(1)Sabine Lisicki (GER) v (wc)Virginie Razzano (FRA)
Mona Barthel (GER) v Jelena Dokic (AUS)
Marina Erakovic (NZL) v Angelique Kerber (GER)
Greta Arn (HUN) v (5)Julia Goerges (GER)

Tough draw section

hankmoody
Dec 30th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Oh, interesting (and somewhat sad) draw from a german perspective!:)
Could be a 2nd round match against Mona and then third round against Angie or Jule!
http://media.asbclassic.co.nz/uploads/2012_singles_draw.pdf

edit: @mk27 it seems you were faster than me! :)

burn
Dec 30th, 2011, 10:58 PM
All Germans in the same quarter :help: :lol:

hellas719
Dec 31st, 2011, 02:21 AM
^And former German Greta Arn :p

Sasja
Dec 31st, 2011, 07:46 AM
First quarter is the German quarter ;)

Could be quite a tough draw :unsure: Good luck Sabine :cheer:

maturedgirl
Dec 31st, 2011, 08:32 AM
What a pity!!!:eek:

Lisicki, Görges, Kerber, Barthel in a quarter, the tennis year couldn't start worse:shrug:

Michael!
Dec 31st, 2011, 08:37 AM
We´ll see, Sabine didn´t play much since the US Open and her form wasn´t that great in Bali as well + back injury + China story etc.
She surely needs a few matches to get into some rhythm again and Sydney is even tougher, so it would be great if she could win some matches here already to get some confidence back for Melbourne!
Razzano can be tough but she should be beatable, a match against Dokic would be for sure interesting with many great points and awful errors but could also meet Barthel as u never know with Dokic! :lol:

But as I said, most important that she gets a few wins here and eary defeat here wouldn´t be ideal at all for her upcoming tournaments!

Dorien.
Dec 31st, 2011, 09:28 AM
That German Quarter :help:
Good luck Sabine :rocker:

everythingtaboo
Dec 31st, 2011, 10:33 AM
What a mess. Just gotta hope she gets a few wins under her belt heading into Sydney-Melbourne. Auf geht's and all, Sabine. :tape:

Sabinator.
Dec 31st, 2011, 10:38 AM
Wow, what a pity luck. All 4 Germans in 1 Quarter :help: Quite interesting what Sabine will do in Auckland, I hope she will be able to play as more matches as possbile. Komm Jettz! :cheer:

Omega1
Dec 31st, 2011, 01:00 PM
Sabine is always good for a surprise. :)
Good luck . :hearts:

pav
Dec 31st, 2011, 10:30 PM
They are having Sabine on the radio, between 2 and three our time,which is an hour and a half away. He said the #1 player at the ASB so must be her, online at - newstalkzb.co.nz.

Sabinator.
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:40 AM
Sabine is playing doubles in Auckland with... Peng Shuai :eek: First match vs Errani/Vinci ;)

Her singles match will start for an hour :cheer:

mk27
Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
(1)Sabine Lisicki (GER) d. (wc)Virginie Razzano (FRA) 64 64

Solid win :)

2nd round against Mona Barthel, who has beaten Dokic in 2 sets. Could be a tough match.

Ian Aberdon
Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
Yup, any win in the first match of the season proper is welcome.

Omega1
Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
(1)Sabine Lisicki (GER) d. (wc)Virginie Razzano (FRA) 64 64
It is important that it breaks despite concentration, Sabine won first match of the year :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Good luck again Mona .:)

Michael!
Jan 2nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Good start for Sabine!
No consistency in her game yet, especially on serve but that isn´t surprising, she just need matches now to get some rhythm again!
Good that she was able to win it in two and that was able to serve it out at *54 two times, 1st serve worked quite well in 2nd set it seems!
Now against Barthel, should be another two sets win for Sabine! Mona isn´t a bad player but often plays a bit too defensive, especially on her fh side, Sabine should and probably will take advantage of that!

everythingtaboo
Jan 2nd, 2012, 11:39 AM
I didn't see the match but I heard the serve wasn't great. But a win's a win right? GL Sabine!

Lisickifan84
Jan 2nd, 2012, 02:28 PM
Puhh hab ganze Zeit an das Match gedacht, konnte leider nicht sehen wie es gelaufen ist und hab deswegen ganz nervös gerade eben erst hier rein geschaut. Gewonnen! :bounce:

It's great to start with a win. I'm very relieved because it was the first match in 2012.

hankmoody
Jan 2nd, 2012, 03:48 PM
I only saw the 2nd set, her game seemed a bit rusty in the beginning (especially the serve with only about 40% first serves and 7 DFs) but I think it got a lot better toward the end.

In the end I`m just glad, that she has her first win this season!:bounce:

Really looking forward to her match against Mona now, should be interesting!:)

maturedgirl
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
I only saw the 2nd set, her game seemed a bit rusty in the beginning (especially the serve with only about 40% first serves and 7 DFs) but I think it got a lot better toward the end.

I'm so happy that a wasn't able to watch it, when I read this :lol:
But a win is a win and next game will be better, I suppose :p

GO ON, Sabine:cheer:

Dorien.
Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:41 PM
Nice to see her winning her first match of the season. :)

Mike81
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:58 AM
Wasn't the best performance but that's not surprising and straight sets win is acceptable. Pretty tough quarter, Sabine will need to step it up to win this title and I'm sure she will :) Never seen Barthel play before, I expect another straight sets win for Bine.

maturedgirl
Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
Sabine won first round double with Peng in 2 straight sets :)

everythingtaboo
Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:15 AM
She's playing doubles with Peng? How random. Wonder if they'll play together at AO as well.

Sabinator.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:48 AM
This doubles are preparation for AO, to have as many matches as posible under Sabine's belt. Didn't expect she could win so easily with Peng against good doubles players like Vinci and Errani. Congrats! :cheer:

burn
Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:18 AM
Good doubles win :)

Mike81
Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Surprise pairing Sabine and Peng :confused: Oh well, nice start- 100% record to date :lol:

Dorien.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Random pairing indeed :lol: But great they could win :)

Geekking
Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:53 PM
Random pairing indeed :lol: But great they could win :)

I hope one day we will see Sabine playing with Ipek :p

mk27
Jan 4th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Sabine won 7-6 3-6 6-3 against Mona Barthel :)

Now against Angelique Kerber (H2H 2-0 for Kerber)

Mike81
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:38 AM
It didn't seem the most convincing win, her serve isn't what it should be and Kerber is better than Barthel. Remember her US Open run.. But Sabine through to quarter finals, let's hope the No 1 seed steps it up now!

Sasja
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Tough match for Sabine, but happy she's in the QF :)

Ian Aberdon
Jan 4th, 2012, 05:57 AM
If Sabs thought Barthel was tough, Kerber will be tougher - she needs to step it up. Perhaps the better the opponent, the better she'll play. Good though that she had the metal fortitude to step up & win the deciding set.

everythingtaboo
Jan 4th, 2012, 06:24 AM
According to the tournament's twitter, Sabine has pulled out of the doubles. Peng lost today so guessing she just wants to head off to Sydney to prepare there.

Mike81
Jan 4th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Sabine pulled out of doubles due to lower leg cramp

Michael!
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Good that Sabine gets another match here in Auckland at least!
She isn´t in good shape yet, but as I said, that is no surprise, she lost her rhythm after New York and it is not easy for Sabine now, especially as her serve is not stable at all, that is her main problem these days!
A shame that she can´t rely on a good first serve always, on a bad or average day her serve is bad or average as well, winning 38% in 2nd set and 29% in 3rd set on 1st serve is just :help:, but 52% over 2nd serve is totally OK at least!

I hope that she can step it up against Kerber as Angie is definitely not worse than Mona, so I wouldn´t be too surprised if Sabine would actually lose but it will depend on her, I hope she´s fit enough at least!
In her current shape I don´t expect too much from her in Melbourne, but we talk about Sabine, she is not predictable anyway but as I said, would be nice if her serve would become more consistent in 2012 in general!

maturedgirl
Jan 4th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Against Angi it'll be a totally different match, but that her main weapon, the serve doenn't work is frightening:eek:

She still seems to be very nervous, probably 'cause of her great expectations for the season and every match, she has to get a grip on it;)

Third match, third chance, hoping she improves ag. Kerber.

Second match in the middle of the night, that will be hard to survive for me:o

burn
Jan 4th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Not what one would call a solid win but a win.
Looking forward to the match vs Kerber...

everythingtaboo
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Sabine pulled out of doubles due to lower leg cramp

Not an injury already. :rolleyes: I think I preferred my reason.

hankmoody
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Hope she can find her form tomorrow and unlike today, keep a cool head at her break points, or else I really can`t see her winning against Angie!
Too bad the match is definetaly scheduled too late for me!:mad:

Dorien.
Jan 4th, 2012, 06:05 PM
The good thing is, she is still winning even she is stuggling ;)
Let's hope she can raise her level for next match.

Good luck :rocker:

Ian Aberdon
Jan 4th, 2012, 06:16 PM
The good thing is, she is still winning even she is stuggling ;)
Let's hope she can raise her level for next match.
Good luck :rocker:

She's going to have to v Kerber I think - injury or not. :unsure:

Carsten
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Well it's important to win these kind of matches in the end :) She should get better the mor match practice she gets. But she definitely has to step it up against Kerber.

rucolo
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Sabine`s Spiel ist ein einziges Chaos - nix Neues. Wird sich das jeh mal ändern?

As for Lisicki, the usual up and down streaky play with several good patches but numerous very unsightly patches as well. She does hit some nice flashy winners but they are still outnumbered by the plentiful facepalmesque errors that seem to be a permenent part of Lisicki's game.

Couldn`t have said it better. These "facepalmesque errors" :help:

Ian Aberdon
Jan 4th, 2012, 08:16 PM
She needs to cut down these facepalmesque errors - but can she? Just like her inconsistent serve, they seem to be a permanent facet of her game. Is this the Bollittieri way? :shrug:

misty1
Jan 5th, 2012, 01:11 AM
got broken for the first set on a double fault:mad:

broken 3 times in 4 service games

Mike81
Jan 5th, 2012, 01:28 AM
I thought something must have been wrong with the way she played in the 1st set and I was right. She had leg cramps yesterday and pulled out of doubles.

joy division
Jan 5th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Already hurt in the first tournament of the year:sad:.

Mike81
Jan 5th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Painful to watch already a retirement in 2012 for Sabine! She can't take a trick :sad:

Mojobackhand
Jan 5th, 2012, 03:00 AM
She hurt the muscle during warm up....
2012 has already so many injury retirements and pull outs. It sucks.
And isn't a warm up supposed to prevent injury?!? ARGHHH!!!
I'm so pissed/gutted/sad/worried right now.

Sasja
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:44 AM
OMG Sabine :tears:

That's not a good way to start the season. Hope she's ok :sad: :hug:

lovethetennis
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I got a reply from the ASB Classic Facebook page. Asked what Sabine had to say during the press conference. Here's what they said:

"She hurt herself in warmup today - she couldn't really serve well because of her injury. Thought about pulling out during the first set. She doesn't know yet about playing Sydney but she is seeing a doctor tomorrow. Has had the injury before"

Ian Aberdon
Jan 5th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Sorry, was it a back injury again a la Bali (mentioning that she has had the injury before)? Or an abs strain (which has been mentioned somewhere else). Or a lower leg cramp? Doesn't sound like, despite her restricted serve, that she was out of the match before she was forced to retire.

Worrying though that this is the first tourney of the season, & here she is pulling out through injury.

Sabs & her team are going to have to take a look at what she is doing in training & off court generally to ascertain just why she is so suspectible to injury.

Worrying, especially as it always seems to be happening to her.

Michael!
Jan 5th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Sounds like in Bali, she injured herself during warum up back then also.
Well, it is just sad because it is exactly that what were were talking about before!
She has all chances to get into top 10 or being long term top 20 girl at least but her body is just too weak often + her problems with her service (which also was caused by her injury today but not only)!

I hope at least that she recovers soon but obviously not a great start into the season.
I hope that he gets lucky with the draw in Melbourne at least, 3rd round would be nice there, I don´t expect much more, I doubt it that we will see her in Sydney.

maturedgirl
Jan 5th, 2012, 10:36 AM
So sad about it :sad:
I'm afraid she wants too much - therefore she's not relaxed enough, sleaziness is missing,..:help:

To ambitious, to...:mad:

The facility of summer 2011 has gone...please Sabine, recover well and be patient!

Than your fabulous game will return and the winner will be YOU!:angel:

everythingtaboo
Jan 5th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Oh Sabine. :sad: :hug:

Dorien.
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Ooh Sabine :hug: I really hope it's not too bad :scared:

Sabinator.
Jan 5th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Sabine :crying2: When she finally be free from any injury? :hug:

hankmoody
Jan 5th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Again during Warm-Up:(:hug:

Hope she`ll at least be fit for the AO again!

Omega1
Jan 5th, 2012, 06:28 PM
So sad about it :sad:
I'm afraid she wants too much - therefore she's not relaxed enough, sleaziness is missing,..:help:

To ambitious, to...:mad:

The facility of summer 2011 has gone...please Sabine, recover well and be patient!

Than your fabulous game will return and the winner will be YOU!:angel:

I think after faceboock reports that she has gone from full training to the tournament, and was just tired.
This explains the concentration breaks.
She made great points from difficult situations and, at once simple error.
But the important points she made when she wanted.
Against Kerber could see that they are not fighting as usual
I hope that she has no serious injury and is fit to AO. :hug: